By Dr Renita D’Souza
Ayurveda science mentions about Shastika Shali (Oryza sativa) a variety of rice well known for its medicinal properties. It is harvested in 60 days. Shastika in Sanskrit indicates the number 60 and Shali means rice.
Njavara – Introduction, traditional use
It is widely used in Panchakarma therapy Shastika shali Pinda sweda, an effective treatment for neuromuscular disorders.
Read – Njavarakizhi: Shashtika Shali Pinda Sweda Benefits
Traditional Uses of Navara
It is used to treat fever, neurological disorders, circulatory disorders, digestive problems, respiratory problems etc. Consumption of Navara rice gruel is beneficial in psoriasis, liver cirrhosis and piles.
Botanical Name – Oryza sativa
Family – Gramineae
Traditional Remedies of Shashtika Rice (A)
- Cooked shashtika rice is beneficial for infants with low weight.
- It is also a good weaning food.
- Diet for Pregnant women – Broth prepared with shashtika rice and meat is beneficial to increase the weight of fetus.
- Internal wounds – Shastika shali is cooked with milk and medicinal herbs.
- Shastika rice bran oil – It is the oil obtained from rice husk is used to relieve pain such as arthritis, cervical spondylosis, Low back pain, paralysis etc.
- Psoriasis – Shastika shali rice paste is applied externally
- Shastika rice gruel is good for diabetic patients and prevents various diseases.
- Fatigue – Shastika rice boiled in Bala (Sida cordifolia) decoction added with milk is used as replenishing drink. This drink is called karkidakakanji.
Peptic ulcers – Intake of shastika bran with jaggery is beneficial.
Mouth ulcer – Consumption of Navara rice bran in boiled milk
- Snake Bite – Navara rice powder paste is used to cure pain and heal wound in snake bite.
- Urinary Tract Infection – Drinking water boiled with Navara root is beneficial in UTI and acts as diuretic.
Read – Rice Combinations With Pulses, Vegetables, Grains, Soups
Sanskrit Verse, Qualities,
Qualities of Shashtika shali
Taste – sweet
Laghu – light to digest
Snigdha – unctuous
Mrudu – soft
Grahi – absorbent
Badda Varchas – constipating
Balada – promotes strength
Jwarahara – cures Fever
Sthira – stabilizing
Pathya – wholesome
Ruchya – improves taste
Deepana – kindles digestive fire
Virya vrddi – increases vigor and vitality
Qualities of Shashtika shali are slightly inferior than the qualities of red variety of rice (Raktha Shali) which is considered to be the best.
Effect of Shashtika shali on Tridoshas
Tridoshagna – Balances all three doshas, Vata, Pitta and Kapha
Read – Rice Water (Tandulodaka) Ayurvedic Preparation Method, Uses
Varieties of Shastika Shali
Reference – Charaka Samhitha Sutrasthana 27/13
These are slightly inferior in quality when compared to Shashtika.
White variety of shastika shali is good and blackish white variety is slightly inferior in quality.
Read – Ayurveda Mahodadhi Dhanya Varga – Types Of Rice
Reference – Bhavaprakasha Nighantu
These varieties can also be called as Vreehi because their qualities resembles to that of Vreehi. Vreehi is the variety of rice that matures in rainy season.
Morphology, Distribution, Research
Morphology of Oryza sativa
Oryza sativa is an erect, annual grass growing up to 50 – 150 cm tall. Stem erect, smooth, hairless and hollow. Leaves 15-30 cm long with ligule and auricle. Inflorescence is a terminal panicle. Rice grain is oblong in shape.
Distribution of Shastika shali
Shastika rice is found in Kerala.
Research on Sastika Shali
A research article on sustainable value of Navara rice in medicinal and aesthetic aspects mentions about anti- carcinogenic property of navara rice. (read)
Vernacular names, Classification
Names in different Languages
English Name – Rice, paddy
Hindi Name – Chaval, Dhana
Marathi Name – Tadula, Bhata
Kannada Name – Matta
Malayalam Name – Navara
Gujarati Name – Bhata, Chorva
Bengali Name – Dhana, Chaval
Tamil Name – Arshi, Nellu
Telugu Name – Dhanyasu, Odalu
Spanish Name – Arroz
French Name – Riz
Portuguese Name – arroz comum
Germany Name – Reis
Bangladesh Name- bhat
Cambodia Name – sröw
Indonesia – padi
Italy – riso comune
Japan – kome
Malaysia – padi
Myanmar – sabar-bin
Netherlands – rijst, rice
Philippines – palay
Sweden – ris, vanlig
Thailand – khao
Vietnam – lúa
Read – Quality Of Foods – Astanga Hridaya Sutrasthana 6 – Annaswaroopa
Bhavaprakasha Nighantu – Dhanya Varga
Dhanvantari Nighantu – Suvarnaadi Varga
Kaiyadeva Nighantu – Dhanya Varga
Raja Nighantu – Shalyadi Varga
Domain – Eukaryota
Kingdom – Plantae
Phylum – Spermatophyta
Subphylum – Angiospermae
Class – Monocotyledonae
Order – Cyperales
Family – Poaceae
Genus – Oryza
Species – Oryza sativa
Click to Consult Dr Renita D’Souza