Trikatu Churna – Benefits, Dose, Side Effects

Trikatu Churna is a simple mixture of three Indian spices. Trikatu Churna is in powder form. It is widely used in Ayurvedic treatments and in Indian household. Trikatu Churna falls both under medicinal herbs and dietary herbs.  Trikatu churna is also known as trikatu choornam, Trikatu choorna, katutraya churna, kadutraya churna etc.

Chruna is a Sanskrit term meaning powder. Trikatu – Tri – means three, katu – herbs that are hot and pungent.  – overall, Triaktu powder is a fine powder mix of three spices.

What is Trikatu churna?  Trikatu powder contains three spices in equal proportions. Black pepper – Piper nigrum Long pepper fruit – Piper longum Ginger – Zingiber officinalis. If these spices are available, the Trikatu powder can be made at home, under hygienic condtiions, using a mixer.

Trikatu benefits – Trikatu is hot in potency. Trikatu is stimulative in nature, good for liver, spleen and pancreas. Trikatu choornam stimulates stomach to produce enzymes. Hence it helps in digestion. Trikatu is also good for respiratory system.

Traditional reference of Trikatu benefits –
Trikatu choornam
Trikatu Churna is also known as Trayushana. Ushana means hot or pungent.
Deepana – it improves digestion strength.
Shleshmaghna – it balances Kahpa dosha.
Medoghna – it burns fat. Reduces cholesterol levels.
Kushta – useful in skin diseases.
Peenasa – useful in running nose, allergic rhinitis
Jayet Arochakam – relieves anorexia.
Ama – useful to relieve ama (a state of indigestion).
Meha – useful in diabetes
Gulma – useful in abdominal tumor, bloating
Galamaya – useful in throat infection and diseases.

Trikatu and liver:
Trikatu is experimentally proven for liver protection activity against liver damage. (research). Its Deepana, Pachana effect (Carminative and digestive) can be understood as, it stimulates liver to produce enzymes. (Pitta = digestion capacity = digestive enzymes. Trikatu increases Pitta.)
Its one ingredient – Pippali (long pepper) is especially used in treating hepatomegaly and splenomegaly.
Black pepper is an excellent antiviral and antibacterial spice (research), Hence useful in liver infection.
For this reason, Trikatu is an ingredient of many Ayurvedic medicines targeted for liver disorders. For example:
Parpatakarishtam – used in anemia, chronic liver disorders, hepatomegaly
Sarva Jvarahara Lauha – used in hepatomegaly
Gudapippali – used in infectious liver conditions
Other such examples (including, but not limited to) are – Patoladi Churna, Navayasa churna.

Trikatu Ayurveda –  Trikatu is a unqiue herbal combination. When used along with other herbs, Trikatu enhances the bio-availability of active constituents of the co-herbs in the target are of disease. Trikatu is used as ingredient in many Ayurvedic medicines such as Kanchnar Guggul, Navayasa Lahua, Dashamoolakatutraya kashaya, Ashwagandharishta, Cofavin syrup, Cofavin DM syrup etc.

Trikatu Churna dose – 500 mg to 3 grams in divided doses in a day, preferably after food. Trikatu Churna can be taken along with honey or water. If it is too spicy to taste as such, it can also be added to food and taken along with the food.
In case of gastritis patients, where Trikatu needs to be administered, it is administered along with Shankha Bhasma.

Trikatu Side Effects –  Due to hot potency, Trikatu may worsen gastritis. May cause burning sensation in higher doses.

Research articles on Trikatu –  Trikatu churna – action against intestinal worms (anthelminthic activity) – read here Anti bacterial effect of Trikatu churna – read here   Liver protective activity of Trikatu churna – read here

Ayurvedic products with Trikatu Churna as ingredient –

Herbal jams –
Chitrak haritaki
 Dashamoola Haritaki
Vilwadi Lehyam
Haridra Khand

Tablets:
Gokshuradi Guggulu
Shiva Gutika
 Yograj Guggulu

Herbal ghee –
Triphala ghrita
Vyoshadi Vataka

Trikatu for skin diseases:
Intake of Trikatu along with Harad (Haritaki), Jaggery and sesame oil for 1 month cures skin diseases. (reference: Charaka Chikitsa Sthana 7/61)

Trikatu for ascites:
Reference: Charaka Chikitsa Sthana 13th chapter)
For the patient suffering from Kaphaja type of Udara Roga (ascites with Kapha Dosha dominance, fat-less buttermilk added with Yavani, Rock salt, cumin seeds and Trikatu is administered.

In Pittaja Udara (ascites due to Pitta), Buttermilk prepared of well formed curd along with the powder of Trikatu.

If the patient is suffering from Sannipatika Udara (ascites with all Three Dosha imbalance, then he should take buttermilk along with Tryusana, Yavakshara and rock salt.

Use of Triktu in proprietary Ayurvedic medicines:
Trikadu is used as ingredient in many Ayurvedic medicines such as
Pep-up tablet, which is used for the treatment of anorexia, flatulence, indigestion and dyspepsia.

Zeal Cough Syrup – manufactured by Vasu Healthcare pharmaceuticals, Vadodara, Gujarat. Zeal cough syrup is a safe cough therapy with triple action formula.

Zeal Herbal Granules is a proprietary Ayurvedic medicine manufactured by Vasu Healthcare pharmaceuticals, Vadodara, Gujarat. Zeal Herbal Granules facilitates congestion free easy breathing.

Zeal Kid Drops – It is a safe and effective treatment for cold and cough in children under 3 years.

The product links are affiliate. Do not follow given advice, without consulting your doctor.

Comments

1. Donroy says:

Hello Dr. Hebbar, I would like to know your thoughts on taking trikatu before meals. Also can this be taken with some guggul for a synergistic effect.

Trikatu before food may cause burning sensation. At the best it can be taken just 5 minutes before food.
      Trikatu with guggulu can be taken after food as an anti inflammatory medicine. But again, it is not indicated for people with sensitive stomach.

• Thank you for your response. I make my own trikatu in a coffee grinder. Since, I am a student in the USA, long pepper was hard (and expensive) to procure. For those reading this, I would like to suggest Banyan botanicals as a source for powdered long pepper (Pippali). Dried ginger (sonth) is easily available at Indian grocery stores, else you can dehydrate your own. Black pepper is easily available, thankfully.

Thanks. Hope the resource info helps many. 🙂
          I also appreciate people making their own Ayurvedic products, in stead of buying readymade ones from the market. We never can know if they contain all the true ingredients.

2. Gaurav says:

I currently have some pitta issues (itching on skin) which according to my doctor is “Pitta being pushed around by Vata”. Since my digestion/absorption is weak, my doctor has recommended that I continue taking Trikatu before meals (at least before lunch). In light of this, can you please suggest the best way of taking Trikatu to reduce the ‘heating’ effect while still keeping up the helping-digestion-and-absorption-effect? With ghee would be okay? Or any other suggestions? How many minutes before meals? I don’t have any burning in stomach or GI tract.

Just a minute before food, Trikatu with ghee is best. if you feel any burning sensation, take quarter a cup of milk, after taking Trikatu with ghee. Then have food.

3. Inder P Meel says:

Is it treat Hay Fever?

Yes. Along with honey, after food. But in some, it may cause gastric irritation.

4. jasmine swadia says:

Should i take trikutu with raw sugar after meals twice a day ?

Hi Jasmine,
      That decision depends on your health and your needs. In general, yes, you can take it. But if you have a sensitive stomach, it may cause burning sensation.

• JASMINE SWADIA says:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH DR. J.V. HEBBAR.
        PLEASE WRITE ABOUT BROWN RICE. IS IT GOOD FOR INDIAN CLIMATE? WHAT TYPE OF RICE ONE SHOULD TAKE DAILY ? I AM TAKING KOLAM RICE..

Hi, I will write about rice in detail.
          In general, red coloured rice / brown rice is good for health, as per Ayurveda.
          unpolished rice is better.
          Ideally rice should be one year old for use.

5. Sir I am suffering with hypochlorhydria so is it better to take it before meal or along with meal or after meal

If you do not have any gastritis issue, you can take it just 3 minutes before meals.

6. kalpana shah says:

i am suffering from acidity, should i take trikatu churna?

7. How many does it work to lower cholesterol?

It helps to improve fat utilization by the body, hence helping in fat burning.

8. I have hypothyroid problem. Does trikuta helps me out? Where can i buy it?

Hi, might help only to a small extent. Please consult an Ayurvedic doctor in person.

9. Hilda Marasovic says:

Hi Dear,Is it possible cardiac patients and dietary take Trikatu?

If the patient can tolerate hotness of Trikatu, then surely cardiac patients can have it. It helps to improve metabolism, stomach and intestine enzyme levels and to reduce cholesterol levels as well.

10. does trikatu help with weightloss? if so, how should it be administered? thanks.

A very small dose of quarter a teaspoon along with a teaspoon of honey, in the morning, after food, for a period of two months, is helpful in weight loss. But care should be taken not to go beyond this dose. or else, it may increase appetite and may eventually cause weight gain.
      However, people with sensitive stomach should exercise precaution.

11. Hitendra says:

Is Trikatu used for weight loss/ treating obesity? Can i administer it with green tea and Guggul.

Yes it is useful in weight loss, you can administer it along with green tea and guggulu.
      But the dose of trikatu churna should be very low – only 2 grams per day, either in a single dose or divided dose.

12. Can you perhaps elaborate on how trikatu helps the spleen and liver? (particularly the former)
    thank you.

This question is so important, I included this topic within the article above. Thanks for asking.

13. hello dr. hebbar
    I like your words.. guide us . thanks .
    I preparae one mixture of dry black grapes + almonds + honey +sunthi, pimpali , miri _, dalcjini , amala juice , — grind together + cow ghee…. nice flavor and very good teste c an i take after food for good health
    sneha

14. Sriharsha Aswathanarayana says:

Dr.Hebbar, is Trikatu helpful in treating Jaundice?

Theoretically, yes, it can be used in treating jaundice. But in practice, Pippali – long pepper (one among trikatu) – is processed with milk and is used for treating jaundice.

15. Spices sound good, could they be used in a pickle of mango or limes or amra instead of taking as powders of medicine?

Sure! You can use these spices to make pickles and use it. But it is not good to use spicy pickle on a daily basis. Once in a while, say, three days a week is fine.

16. My wife suffering from hypo thyroid, will this medicine cure thyroid?

It helps to improve digestion strength and metabolism. It also useful in treating obesity, associated with Hypothyroidism. But it may not directly cure hypothyroidism.

17. purnima says:

Hello dr. Is Trikatu powder helps in asthma problems? I have breathing problems as well allergies from dust and pollution . Can it helps .?

Because of Trikatu’s hot nature, it balances Kapha and Vata doshas, both of which are imbalanced in asthma. Hence, it is very useful. It is also very useful for dust allergy. But care should be taken in its usage, as it may cause gastric irritation.

18. Banambar Behera says:

Sir,I am suffering from voice problem since one month. One person advised me trikut may take 5days, like 1st day ( five times),2nd day (four times), 3rd day (three times) 4th day ( two times )and 5th days (two times) with honey. Can advised me for better treatment.

Hi, taking Trikatu five times, your stomach might not tolerate it. I suggest using 1 gram of Trikatu with half a teaspoon of Ghee twice a day for five days, if symptoms do not improve, please consult a doctor.

19. Good article.Thanks u very much Dr.

20. Shrikant S. Kamble says:

Nice explanation. I got sugar since 8 months. I am 62. I am taking allopathic medicines. Is there any Ayurveda medicines which can totally bring sugar at normal level. So that I can stop taking medicines. I herd about meditation and self healing, I am practicing since 1 week, while meditating I feel pancreas is getting activated. will it really work. I am practicing mediation since 5 years. I mediated to few and found they were relived from health problems. now it is my turn I am trying.

21. Sandhya says:

Hi Dr,

My son is 3.5 years old. He frequently gets cold and cough atleast once in a month. Can i give this medicine to him and if i can what is the dosage i should give to him?

Hi, for a kid, the dose of Trikatu churna should be very minimal – just 2 pinches (one pinch is the amount that you can hold with thumb and index finger) – mixed with a teaspoon of honey, in the morning after breakfast, for 7 days.
      You should consult a doctor before giving this or any other medicine to kid.

22. vidhya says:

i want to drink a healthy one instead of coffee in empty stomach.can u suggest any combination of mixture. i am also overweighted person.

If you like milk, you can just mix a pinch (1 gram) of turmeric powder with water and drink.
      Or you can have weight loss herbal tea – Like this Tulsi green tea – http://amzn.to/1UFjvcE

23. Sharmistha says:

Dear Dr Hebbar, I am Kapha dominant. I take 1 capsule of Triphala with 1 capsule of Shuddhu Guggula for detoxification and weight reduction. When should I take Trikatu?

May be, half a teaspoon in the morning after food for a month and then stop it.

24. paralysis pt can take trikatu churna and how much quantity

• Dr Malini Bhat says:

Trikatu is preferably taken one hour before each meal in a dose of 1/2 to 1 teaspoon. It can also be taken along with or after a meal. As Trikatu has a pungent taste, it is better taken mixed with honey in a thick paste that can be licked.

It is taken as only a supplementation for paralysis and not for paralysis treatment. Kindly consult a ayurvedic physician for the specific treatment of Paralysis.

25. thank u says:

Dr Hebbar it is very kind of you to give such information to public.. Thank u for that..u say trikatu helps in digestion strengthens stomach.. IBut it may trigger gastritis.. But isn’t that opposite. I have gastritis becoz of weak digestion.. Constipation n bloating.. So now am confused.. I am also kapha natured person and overweight.. What dosage shud I take?

Hi, if someone has weak digestion strength but not gastritis / high acidity, then Trikatu can be useful.
      In your case,. Trikatu helps with Kapha and overweight. Hence, you can take half a teaspoon (small spoon) along with half a teaspoon of ghee in the morning, after food.

26. Sachin grover says:

Can diabetic patient can take trikatu

Yes, it helps to improve metabolism. If the patient is obese, it also helps to lose weight. Care should be taken while taking it, as it may cause or worsen gastritis in some people.

27. Ambar Ganguli says:

My sister is obese (100+kg) with very high B.P and cholesterol. Please let me know whether taking Trikatu regularly will help her to reduce her weight, B.P and cholesterol. She had undergone gall bladder operation long back.

• Dr Malini Bhat says:

Madam, Yes it will help her. Please do consult a doctor for the same.

Note: Because we all are genetically different with different constitutions and patterns, we respond to treatments in many different ways. Hence Standard Ayurvedic Treatments are always individually formulated. The doses of Ayurvedic medicines are not fixed. Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs.

28. Krishna Das says:

Hi Dr,
    Thank you for such a wonderful website. I really appreciate it.
    My constitution is Vata/Pitta and at the moment I have teeth indentations on the outer edges of my tongue so I understand this means malabsorption issues. The rest of my tongue is fine. I have low thyroid and low adrenals but they are getting better with the right vitamins, minerals and daily yoga. I have had magnesium absorption issues for sometime and was wondering if trikatu can help with general malabsroption issues? I’ve also started making Vasant Lad’s Agni tea to sip throughout the day.
    How to take trikatu as I was under the impression 2 capsules 1 hour before food was the norm.
    Thank you for your time.
    Krishna Das

Hi, in your case, it is best to take Trikatu capsule – 1 capsule 2 times a day, 10 minutes after food. Please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly, as trikatu in some may cause burning sensation in stomach.

29. Hello!
    My ayurveda doctor passed me trikatu before and after the main meals of the day in 3 days. For detoxification. But I suffer from acid reflux. Is it a good option? At lunch I did not felt any burning sensation, but then when I made a meal in the afternoon I felt.
    I think it really helped for gases and digestion tough.
    Thanks for your time.

Hi, it appears that Trikatu is working for you despite the side effect. Consider taking it with half a cup of warm milk or half a teaspoon of ghee, during times when you think it is causing burning sensation.

30. Bhakti says:

Hi. I have been taking triphala for around 3 months.. the results are amazing (glowing skin,weight loss) but how good is it for people suffering from kidney stones.. any remedies

Please read effective kidney stone remedies here – easyayurveda.com/2013/10/24/kidney-stones-urinary-calculi-ayurveda-remedies-treatment-detail/

31. Lavina Pinto says:

Hi, my son 2.5 yrs old has been getting wheezing and cold due to allergy component. Can i give him trikatu churna with honey. If yes when can it be given, does it have any side effects, is it safe to give it to kids of this age. Thank you

I do not recommend Trikatu for your son. Please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly. Online advice for children can be dangerous.

32. Hi
    I have been suffering from bloating, excessive gas, loss of appetite and weight loss. My stomach feels inflamed(abdominal distension??) as well but I have had all types of tests done but everything appears to be normal. I also suffer from iron, b12 and vitamin d3 deficiency. My doctors have been unable to diagnose me. Could you please tell me if Trikatu will help my digestive system? Thank you!

If you do not feel burning sensation with ginger or black pepper, then Trikatu – 2 grams, 2 times a day, along with a teaspoon of ghee, after food for 1 month time can be useful.
      For further advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.
      For email advice, please write to our health experts here (paid service) – https://easyayurveda.com/consult/

33. Blackfire says:

I suffers from chronic asthma can you tell how to take trikata in what quantity & when?

Hi, if you are not sensitive to ginger and pepper, then you can take half teaspoon (small spoon) – 2 times a day, mixed with 1 teaspoon of honey, after food, for 3 weeks time.

For further advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

34. Sumit Talreja says:

Hi,

How can we use Trikattu for breathelessness.Since 2-3 months I am facing breahtlessness.I live in USA.Can you please tell what should I take for it.I have started pranayama for it.

Trikatu – 1 gram powder, mixed with a teaspoon of honey, 2 times a day after food is useful.
      For further personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.
      If you want my help in finding a good Ayurveda doctor for you, then let me know your place.

For email advice (not a reliable option, we do not promise any cure), please write to our health experts here (paid service) – https://easyayurveda.com/consult/

35. Hii Dr. Hebber
    My wife took trikatu churna one hour before meal and after two days, she felt severe stomach pain. Should I forbade her to use it????

36. asif shaikh says:

dear sir meri fioncee ko thyroid he hiski vajese weight badhta nahi he ekdam se single body hogai he.. kya trikut davai se thyroid thik ho sakta he??? body badh sakti???

37. bhaktac says:

I have a friend who is a pitta-kapha constitution and has some lower abdomen weight that won’t go. Is it safe to take triaktu powder for a couple of months or will aggravate his pitta too much? He has no digestive issues or acid/stomach issues.

Hi, it is best to mix trikatu powder – 30 grams with 100 grams of Triphala powder and consume – 5 grams, 2 times a day after food for 3 months time. Triphala powder is available in amazon website here –

38. Manavi says:

My husband has regular rounds of severe running cold, itchy throat and sneezes through out the year. He also has lot stomach fat n cholesterol to reduce. I read trikatu n triphala helps cleanse body n help with cold. Dr can you please recommend a right way to take trikatu n triphala.
    I get indigestion n acid reflux easily but with intention to lose weight n increase metabolism rate please recommend right dose for me too.
    In thankfulness.

For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

• Manavi says:

Thank u Dr for replying back. Actually just wanted to know how to take Trikatu not personal advice.

Usual dose of Trikatu is half a teaspoon 2-3 grams once or twice a day with water after food for 10-15 days.

39. Hello,
    I’m taking trikatu tablets (125 gr) for my undiagnosed digestive issues, 2 tablets 15 minutes before each meal as per recommendation of a ayurveda doctor. I feel some improvements – namely no vertigo and less bloating -, but may have become slightly constipated? The sides of my abdomen kind of hurt, front and back, more to the left side.

I’m thinking it’s working, but my question is, will the results only last as long as I keep on taking the tablets? That is, do I have to take it forever?
    That doctor mentioned something about feeling warmed and that I eventually could stop… but can’t confirm it.

Better to switch to after meals. 2 tablets 2 times a day after 15 minutes after taking food for 1 month.
      Then 1 tablet 3 times a day after food for 2 more months.
      Then 1 tablet 2 times a day after food for 2 more months. Then stop it.
      If constipated, take Triphala churna – 1 teaspoon at night after food. – once or 2 times per week.

Available in amazon website here

40. Shivam Gupta says:

I am also suffering from same problem.Have u cured yourself using trikatu or how have u cured yourself.Please help.

41. kuladeep sarma says:

Dear sir, I have been suffering from hypothyroidism and often my both legs gets swallowed. Please recommend some medicine.

For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.