Agastya rasayanam – an effective Ayurvedic product for respiratory conditions

Agastya rasayanam is one of the very famous Ayurvedic medicine for asthma. It is widely used in many of the respiratory diseases. It is not only a medicine, but also a rejuvenative (rasayana). When compared to other Ayurvedic medicines for asthma & other respiratory disease, Agastya rasayana is advantageous, since it is very safe for long-term use. It is also famous by the names- Agastya rasayana & Agastya hareetaki rasasyana, Hareetaki (Terminalia chebula, being its main ingredient).

This Ayurvedic medicine has been first described by Agastya Rishi – Ancient sage of India.
Agasthya rasayana ingredients

key ingredients of Agastya haritaki rasayana –
Dashamoola (group of ten herb roots- brings down the local inflammation),
Bala – sida cordifolia, Atmagutpa – Mucuna pruriens, Yava – barley,
Gajapippali, Pippali moola (root of piper longum), Hareetaki terminalia chebula),, Bharngi (clerodendron serratum), Pushkaramoola (Inula racemosa), Chitraka  (Plumbago zeylanica), shati (curcuma zeodaria), Apamarga (Achyranthus aspera),  – All these herbs helps in relaxing the respiratory spasm, expels mucous out of the respiratory tract and eases breathing.

This medicine is also known as Agastya Haritaki Rasayana.

Agastya rasayanam benefits:
Improves the respiratory strength:
Useful in many of the acute and chronic respiratory disorders.
This is excellent in all types of asthma and tuberculosis.
It develops immunity and can be used suitably in hiccup, chronic fever, gulma, grahani, piles and heart ailments.

Valee Palitam Hanyaat  – Useful in grey hair condition.
Varna Ayu Bala Vardhanam – Improves skin health, age and strength.

Agastya rasayan Dosage:
Adult dosage is – 1 – 2 teaspoons – 1 – 2 times a day, before or after food, along with warm water or honey, or as directed by Ayurvedic doctor.
Dose for children is – 1 teaspoon once or twice a day, with a cup of lukewarm water, before or after food, as directed by Ayurvedic doctor.
If the child does not like its taste, half a teaspoon of honey can be added to this, before administration.

Side effects:
There are no known side effects with this medicine. However, a very high dosage may cause loose stools.
Weight loss: One person has experienced weight loss with this product. Upon taking this for cough for 2 months, he had experienced 5 kg weight loss.
The reason for this is, Haritaki – acts as a mild laxative and has shoshana – drying properties. This helps to balance Kapha dosha and lowering of body fat. Hence, Agastya Haritaki makes a perfect  remedy if a person is obese and is having respiratory symptoms.

Shelf life: 3 years from the date of manufacturing.

Reference of Agasthya Rasayana from Charaka:
Charaka Samhita, Chikitsa Sthana – 17th chapter, Kasa Chikitsa: 57-62
Ashtanga Hrudayam

Presentation: Jar pack of 200 g (Kottakkal Arya Vaidya Sala).

??????? ????????????? ??????????? ???? ?????|
?????????? ????? ?????? ??????? ? ??????????||??||
??????????????? ?????? ???????????? ???????|
????????????? ???????? ????????? ?????||??||
????????????????|
da?am?l?? svaya?gupt?? ?a?khapu?p?? ?a??? bal?m|
hastipippalyap?m?rga pippal?m?la citrak?n||57||
bh?rg?? pu?karam?la? ca dvipal???a? yav??hakam|
har?tak? ?ata? caika? jale pañc??hake pacet||58||
yavai? svinnai? ka??ya? ta? p?ta? tacc?bhay??atam|
pacedgu?atul?? dattv? ku?ava? ca p?thaggh?t?t||59||
tail?t sapippal?c?r??t siddha??te ca m?k?ik?t|
lihy?ddve c?bhaye nityamata? kh?dedras?yan?t||60||

Pippali – Long pepper fruit – Piper longum Mula
Chitraka – Plumbago zeylanica
Bharngi and
Puskara-Mula – Inula racemosa is added with
1 Adhaka of Yava and
100 fruits of Haritaki – Terminalia chebula
By adding 5 Adhakas of water, these drugs is cooked till the grains of Yava (barley) becomes soft (Svina) and then the decoction is strained out.
These 100 fruits of Abhaya – Harad – Terminalia chebula are then added with the above mentioned decoction, 1 Tula of Jaggery
1 Kudava of each of
Ghee,
Sesame oil and
Powder of Pippali – Long pepper fruit – Piper longum
The recipe is then cooked. Thereafter, when it becomes cool, 1 Kuduva of honey is added.
This is rejuvenating recipe.

Traditional uses:
Intake of 2 fruits of Abhaya – Harad – Terminalia chebula, thus processed, every day, cures
Wrinkling of the skin and graying of hair (process of aging), and
Promotes complextion, longevity as well as strength
It also cures
5 varieties of Kasa,
Ksaya—Consumption
Shvasa – Asthma,
Hikka – Hiccup,
Visama-Jvara – fever (irregular fever),
Arshas – Piles,
Grahani – Malabsorption syndrome, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (sprue syndrome),
Hrud roga – heart diseases,
Aruchi – anorexia and
Pinasa – chronic rhinitis
This excellent rejuvenating recipe propounded by the sage Agastya is auspicious.

Storage:
Store in a cool dry place, away from sunlight.
Keep out of reach and sight of children.

Manufacturers:
Kottakkal Arya Vaidya Sala, Alva Pharmacy, AVP, AVN.

The product links are affiliate. Do not follow given advice, without consulting your doctor.

Comments

1. Vishnu says:

I affected the desease allergy .it is caused it came in to the dust particles.i use agastyarasayana and the deseas gone

2. happy life

3. How long should we use this ? Any restriction like meat , booze , smoke during this intake ?

It is very sour in taste ? how do u eat it?

please inform

Based on your doctor’s prescription, it can be taken for a period of 4 – 6 months.
      There is no particular restriction of food with this product. However, disease-wise there will be diet guidance. (Like, if you are taking it as a treatment of asthma, then it is better to avoid ice creams, and oily food.)
      It is bitter – sweet in taste.
      Usual dose is – 1 spoon 2 times a day before food with warm water or honey.
      How do you eat? Just take it in a spoon and lick and enjoy.

• Chandran says:

Mr Hari, Booze, meat, smoke, narcotics, chewing tobacco, etc. are restricted even for those who are healthy.

4. I freequently get cold, fed with that, Does agasthya rasayanam help to prevent cold?

5. sampath says:

How to use this?
    Can I eat directly?

one spoon two times a day before food with warm water or honey, or as directed by your Ayurvedic doctor.

6. surendran says:

Nothing has been mentioned about its benefits in heart ailments. Please let me know if any.

7. good

8. Syed Mohamed Kahir says:

Wheather Agasthya Rasayanam can be given to 4.5 Years old child suffering from long term cough problem? If yes what is the dosage?

For a 4.5 year old, it is best to consult a doctor directly. Agastya Rasayana can be given in a dose of 1 teaspoon once or twice a day, based on severity, along with honey.

9. i have been prescribed half tea spoon five times a day for a persistent dry cough . I do not have Asthma .. its my 3rd day now and have only a slight improvement
    I have a blocked nose

10. i suffered from allergic bronchitis. now iam fine with medicines . to increase my immunity iam thinking of taking agastya rasayanam. should i take before dinner or after.. can i take it with milk with a pinch of turmeric powder?

11. shradha says:

I found difference with agasthya rasayanam in just 10 days. Very gud lekhyam

• Radhika says:

Hi Shradha, What is your health problem, how does it benefits u xactly? could u please elaborate?

thanks,

• Hi Shradha,

Please elaborate that how to get benefit from agastya rasayanam and what is your disease ?
      Waiting for your reply….

12. nuthan says:

can agastya rasayan be given to infant aged 2yrs suffering from continual cough problems?

13. how can i get it for immdiate use at place germany

14. Dr.Hebbar your replys are reallyhelpful to the society

15. Shamshuddin says:

Do not expect an ayurvedic product to give the result in the very next day. Agastya Rasayanam started working for me after 2 week of use. It gave me relief from rhinitis , nosal blocking ,severe sneezes and continues water flow from the nose.
    This also relieved constipation for me.
    Ideal product to use. I will recommend to all the guys suffering form asthma , allergies and other respiratory track problems

16. I suffer from asthma and take steroid inhalers but my mum always gives me this when I am suffering from a cold or cough. I find this medicine very effective.
    Do you think I could take a prolonged course of this and slowly come off the steroid inhalers? Has anyone done this before in your experience?
    Thank you in advance Dr Hebbar.

Dear sir, this medicine alone might not enable you for that. But with a good Ayurvedic treatment protocol, you can certainly reduce the frequency of steroid inhalers over a period of 1 – 2 months. Please consult an Ayurveda doctor in person.

17. ukhimji@gmail.com says:

Very Good effects seen of Agastya Rasayanam in 4 days.Had dry cough and no modern medicine worked on me.

18. J’ai commencé un traitement de agastya rasayan car je suis en Inde actuellement mais lorsque je vais rentrer en France où me procurer ce produit ? Merci de me donner une adresse.

19. Dear Dr.,

I am a big fan of yours. I read your blog and site and am awestuck at the amount of kindness you have shown to mankind and the world at large…Thanks for all your efforts.

I have a question – will regular daily intake of Agasthya Rasayanam increase Migraine attacks?

Regards
    Vinay

20. Hi

Can we give this to kids? My one and half year old boy has bad cough..

It can be given, but in a very low dose. You will need to consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

• Okie…we are in UAE now..we had brought the medicine from kerala..here opportunity to consult an Ayurveda doc is less.. Can i give a very little amount mixed with honey?? As the taste is hard for him..

If your doctor in Kerala had prescribed this to the kid, then it can be given with little honey.

21. Can agastgya rasayana be eaten during pregnancy

Yes, for limited period of time, in small quantities as per your doctor’s advice.

22. Is agastya rasayana beneficial in tonsillitis too?

23. soundria says:

hello Dr
    i have been taking Agasthya Rasayana ,Past 30 days.It is really amazing for get relief from continuous cough and cold.My doubt is specially based on food intake, during this medicine.My doctor advised – not to take meat in this time.I don’t know,only restriction for oily food or meat?.But i am an non-veg lover.Can you please suggest me with your opinion.

The probable reason you were told to avoid meat was, because meat is heavy-to-digest, this may cause impaired digestive fire, causing increase of Kapha and worsening of cough and related symptoms.
      If you just love meat, consider adding a bit of spices to it, while cooking – like black pepper powder, cumin powder etc. It will help in supporting your digestive strength, without affecting your cough in a negative way.
      Do not indulge too much in meat. Have it in limited quantities only.

24. Sir,
    Recently there was mild mucosal thickening in my frontal Sinus(Ct Scan) which led to slight headache and my Ayurvedic doctor prescribed Agastya Haritaki Lehya(Daily 1 spoon) and other ayurvedic tablets and nose drops. After 5 days of using the medicines, my headache got cured. And now I am getting slight cough with Mucus(yellowish and green). I can feel that the thick green mucus is coming from my wind pipe(trachea). Earlier i did not have this problem. Should I continue using Agastya Haritaki Lehya? Please elaborate your answer. Thanks in advance.

Hi, the slight cough and mucus might just be Kapha getting eliminated out of your body. Use Agastya Rasayana for around 6 weeks before stopping it. Drink lukewarm water, avoid ice cream and cold drinks during this period.

25. Rajesh V R says:

Dear Doctor,

My mother has been prescribed agasthya haritaki rasayana by kotakkal, only agastya rasayana is available in chennai and i have let her take it. She has allergic bronchitis and has frequent cold attacks. can i let her have chyawanprash before breakfast and agastya rasayana after lunch? she has been on allpathic drugs since a long time and i want her to get out of it gradually. she is allergic to jaggery too. at night she is taking dashamoola kaduthrayam kashayam when she has cold. (she is having to take theallopathic medicine when ther is cold)

Agastya rasayana is same as agastya haritaki rasayana.
      Taking Chyawanprash along with Agatya rasayana would be a bit stronger combination and needs direct approval of an Ayurveda doctor.

26. Sir which company is good. I had Agastya rasayanam from kottakkal, arya vadya sala, but it had Honey and ghee in equal proportion. Is it safe to take?

I am sceptical as you have mentioned earlier that honey and ghee should never be taken in equal proportion.

Also I say they use the same proportion of honey and ghee in Brahma Rasayan and Chawanprash also.

Many Thank

27. Dear Doctor ,
    Is this medicine effective in treating headaches?

28. I have been eating this medicine from two weeks for breathing issues & I have a pleasant situation, I used to suffer from Erectile Dysfunction, but after eating this medicine I am getting good erections, I read a lot of articles about this medicine but did not find any mention anywhere about this benefit, so I want to know from you if what I am experiencing is due to this medicine or there could be different reasons for it?

29. Sir can you write about Vasishtha rasayanam? I found it in AVS website.

30. vineesh e p says:

agasthya rasayana help heart health?

31. HI Dr. Please suggest where can I buy Agastya rasayanam online

32. Hi, Dr
    I have cough from last 3 months with mucus (green & white)
    what do you think using daily 2 spoon twice is enough or i
    can take for 3 times daily.

Thanks in advance for your reply

33. Hello sir which one will be better to treat sinus( runny nose) chitrak haritaki or agastya haritaki

34. hi,

while using this rasayanam can we take english medicine as well?will be there any side effects

English medicines can be taken along with this medicine.
      Whenever taking Ayurvedic and English medicines together, it is healthy to maintain a gap of half an hour between the two sets of medicines. Take English medicine first, wait for 30 minutes, then Ayurvedic.

35. Hi doctor,
    Can we take ayurvedic medicines immediately after food or should we leave some gap.

36. Hi Doctor,
    I searched for agasthyarasayam and they said they have both kottakal and oushadi agasthyarasayanam.Which one is good?

37. Abhijeet Prakash says:

How to increase ojas?Plz tell me the best medicine to increase it.

38. Paridhi says:

What is the difference between Agastya Rasayana and Dashamoola Haritaki Avaleham?
    Once an ayurvedic doctor had prescribed the latter(Dashamoola) for anemia. It gave relief for cold n cough too. Is this because some of the ingredients are common?

39. sir,can i use agasthya rasayanam on a regular basis as chyavanaprash?

40. Does agastya rasayana make Pitta high? or Vata?

41. Vijaya says:

If the patient is already light weighted then this medicine is good for her?

42. I have been asked by my doctor to take agastya rasayanam and pravala bhasmam in the night to increase the thickness of my hair . Will it help??

43. Gulshan Saraswat says:

A patient is suffering from pitta bronchitis but also has diabetes. In this case avastha rasayan will not work as it has jaggery. Which medicine would you suggest for diabetic patients suffering from bronchitis

There are many options such as bresol, asthmacure, Asmagon etc.
      For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.
      If you want my help in finding a good Ayurveda doctor for you, then let me know your place.

For email advice (not a reliable option, we do not promise any cure), please write to our health experts here (paid service) – https://easyayurveda.com/consult/

44. Hello Doctor,
    Can I have agastya rasayanam with narasimha rasayana? My doctor prescribed me to take agastya rasayanam with dashmoolam kashyam and amruthotharam kashayam for chronic sinus. I also have hairloss and grey hair, and I read that narasimha rasayana is good for that and to increase immunity. I want to know if i can consume both the rasayana together.

Hi, once after sinusitis is completely treated, you can have narasimha rasayana. taking it now, does not look a good idea.

45. Thank you for your reply sir. Is there any medicine/tablet that i can consume for hairloss/ grey hair along with my ongoing treatment?

46. Sir,
    I have been taking agastya Leham, dashamula Leham, vyagharadi Leham with swarnamukthadi tablets for 2 months for sinusitis. How long should i continue this for complete cure?

Hi, now that you have taken for 2 months, you can reduce the dose to half (of all medicines), continue this half dosage for 2 more months and then stop it.

47. Praveen says:

How I order it?

48. My mom has respiratory issues, breathing problems so can I give her , but she already pitta in my body. Can I give her.

Yes, but better to consult a doctor directly.
      For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

49. Can we give this to 3 year kid