Ayurvedic treatment for Haemorrhoids is classified based on Tridosha imbalance. They are commonly known as piles. It is a painful condition, causing severe discomfort to the sufferers. It starts with a simple complaint of constipation or hard stools. But in quick course of time, hemorrhoid causes difficulty during defecation. Often it causes bleeding and burning sensation as well. Gradually, due to blood loss, person may suffer from fatigue or weight loss. In the long run, anemia may be caused. So, the patient should be serious from the beginning of the complaint itself.
Reason for haemorrhoids –
Excess intake of pungent, dry, cold and light food, repeated intake of food, spicy food, alcohol, prolonged fasting, excess of exercise, weight lifting, grief, hot climate, oily and fried food, day sleep, horse or camel riding, two wheeler riding etc.
Origin of the disease-
Due to the above said reasons, the Doshas are aggravated and lodged in the blocked anal region. Thus, exerts pressure over the anal region and ultimately the blood vessels supplying to the anal region are dilated. It results in hemorrhoids.
Constipation, debility, gurgling sound in the abdomen, emaciation, regurgitation, tiredness in the legs, reduced quantity of feces.
Common clinical features:
Hemorrhoids due to Vata increase –
Small to large (a pea sized to a date fruit sized) pile mass in the anal region,
dryness of the anus,
tingling sensation, numbness, bluish or reddish discoloration, stiffness, roughness in the anal orifice, curved orifice,
the pile mass similar to the Bimbi (coccine fruits), karkandu ( jujube fruit), kharjura (date fruit), karpasa phala (cotton fruit), kadamba pushpa ( anthocephalus fruit), siddharthaka phala (mustard seed) etc.
Severe headache, pain in the flanks, scapular region beneath the shoulder, back/hip, thigh, inguinal region etc may be found.
Often it may be associated with sneezing, regurgitation, constipation, chest congestion, tastelessness, cough, breathlessness, indigestion, tinnitus, vertigo etc
Frequently during the defecation, sound may be heard.
Frothy bleeding or unctuous blood discharge may be complained in the severity of the condition. Black discoloration of the skin, feces, urine, mouth etc may be observed in its critical condition.
Gaseous tumor, enlargement of spleen, abdominal disorders, calculi etc may be found in few of the worsening conditions.
Haemorrhoids due to Pitta increase –
Blue or yellow colored pile mass,
thin bleeding associated with foul smell,
soft and unctuous pile mass, pile mass with the color of liver or the mouth of the leech,
associated with burning, ulceration, fever, perspiration, thirst, syncope, fatigue, hallucination,
blue -yellow or red colored feces etc.
In its severity, yellow or green discoloration is found in skin and nails.
Broad based thick soft white colored pile mass, associated with mild pain,
elevated, unctuous, oily, stiff (firm), stable, larger, slimy, associated with itching.
Often the pile mass will be similar to the sprouted bamboo (tender), jack fruit or cow’s udder.
Frequently the patient will complain pain in the inguinal region, genitalia, bladder or umbilicus.
Cough, breathlessness, nausea, regurgitation, tastelessness, rhinitis, dysuria, headache, cold, fever, loss of libido, indigestion, vomiting etc.
The feces appears oily and associated with phlegm. Often diarrhea may be found. In its severity, skin and eyes may be pallor.
Ayurvedic Treatment For Haemorrhoids – Line of treatment:
In general, laxative medicines are advised so as to facilitate the free flow of flatus and feces. Thus, the pressure over the blood vessels is decreased and gradually the symptoms are brought to control.
All kinds of cooling measures are also undertaken so as to arrest bleeding. As indigestion is the important characteristic feature of the disease, measures are taken so as to restore good digestive fire. Other than this, according to the Dosha dominance, medicines are chosen.
Home remedies for Piles –
1. A teaspoon of Haritaki (Harad) is made into paste with a teaspoon of jaggery and is consumed before food, once or twice a day.
2. Powder of Trivrt along with decoction of Triphala (Haritaki, Bibhitaki and Amalaka) is told as a remedy for piles.
3. Haritaki – Terminalia chebula along with buttermilk is administered at night.
4. Haritaki – Terminalia chebula soaked over night. It is given along with Jaggery
5. Buttermilk home remedy for piles
6. Apamarga home remedy for bleeding piles
Single herbs recommended for hemorrhoids:
Tila – Sesame seeds
Bhallataka – Semecarpus anacardium Linn.
Nagakesara – Mesua ferrea Linn.
Haritaki – Terminalia chebula Retz.
Trivrit – Operculina turpathum (Linn.) Silva Manso.
Aragwadha – Cassia fistula Linn.
Soorana – Elephant Yam – Amorphophallus campanulatus Blume.
Chitraka – Leadwort – Plumbago zeylanica Linn.
Amalaki – Amla – Emblica officinalis Gaertn.
Mulaka – Radish – Raphanus sativus Linn.
Danti – Baliospermum montanum (Willd.) Muell. Arg.
Draksha – Raisins
Wholesome diet for natural healing of piles:
Kulattha (horse gram)
Raktashali (red rice)
Dhatri (goose berry)
Patola (pointed gourd)
Ajadugdha (goat milk)
Kanjika (sour gruel)
Vegetable soup prepared of dried radish or horsegram
Unwholesome habits and diet for hemorrhoids:
Sexual indulgence (vyavaya)
Riding the horses or two wheelers (ashwa yana)
Squatting posture (kukkutasana)
Dosha aggravating food (dooshita ahara)
Heavy and spicy food (guru-vidaahi ahara)
Pungent food (katu ahara)
Bitter gourd (karavellaka)
Sleepless nights (nidrahani)
Suppression of the urges (vegavarodha) etc.
Use of sitz bath for hemorrhoids:
For reducing itchiness, secretions, pain and size of pile mass, Triphala water sitz bath is very useful.
Take a sitz bath tub like the one here –
Add a tablespoon of Triphala powder (easily available anywhere in the world) to half a bucket of water, heat it for 2 minutes till it becomes lukewarm.
Fill the sitz bath tub with the Triphala water and before bath, for 5 minutes sit in it.After 5 minutes, throw away the Triphala water and start bathing.
If itching is severe, you may consider doing this twice or even thrice a day (not the bathing. I mean you can use the sitz bath with Triphala bath twice or thrice a day).
2. Prepare Khadira water – like I have explained here. Use it for sitz bath.
3. Prepare Triphala Kashaya, like I have explained here and use it for sitz bath.
Application of sesame seed paste for hemorrhoids:
If there are no secretions from hemorrhoids, sesame oil is applied over the mass. Then, sesame seeds are taken in a cloth pack and local fomentation is given. This is done to relieve pain, swelling and the size of the mass. (Charaka Samhita Chikitsa Sthana, 14th chapter)
Buttermilk for hemorrhoids:
Master Charaka has mentioned that, people with hemorrhoids should regularly consume Buttermilk.
There is no medicine, better then butter- milk for the cure of piles caused by the predominance of aggravated Vayu and kapha depending upon the Dosha involved, it is taken along with fat (for Vayu) or in an unctuous from(for Kapha).
The physician acquainted with the specifications of the strength of the patient as well as the nature of the season is given butter-milk for either on week or for 10 days or for 15 days or for a month.
If the Kayagni (power of digestion and metabolism) of the patient is very weak, then he is given only butter- milk [both morning and evening], other- wise Takravalehika (linctus prepared by adding butter- milk to the flour of fried paddy) is given in the evening. After the butter- milk (taken in the morning) is digested, [in the evening] the patient is given Takrapeya (thin gruel prepared by adding butter-milk) along with rock- salt, thereafter, Takraudana (rice mixed with butter- milk) added with fat is given and butter- milk is given to such a patient as post- prandial drink. As food, he may be given vegetable soup or meat soup along with butter- milk. Alternatively, vegetable soup and meat soup prepared by boiling with butter- milk can be given to him.
The physician acquainted with the time (Kala) and procedure of administration (Krama) is discontinuing butter- milk all of a sudden.
Butter milk is administered up to 1 month, and thereafter, it is gradually withdrawn. It is withdrawn gradually in the same quantity in which it was increased [in the beginning].
While reducing butter- milk, the patient total food intake is reduced. Adoption of this procedure will promote and maintain his energy, maintain the strength of his digestive powder and promote his strength, plumpness as well as completion.
Butter- milk is of 3 types. Viz
1) From which fat is completely removed
2) From which half of the fat is removed and
3) From which fat is not at all removed.
The physician acquainted with the nature of the Doshas involved in the causation of the disease, Agni (power of digestion and metabolism) of the patient and his strength should administer any of the above mentioned 3 types of butter – milk appropriately.
Piles in the anus, once cured by the administration of butter- milk, do not recur. When sprinkled over the ground butter- milk burns all grass thereon let alone the dry type of piles in a patient who’s Agni (power of digestion and metabolism) has been kindled through this therapy.
Butter- milk cleanness the channels of circulation as a result of which Rasa (end product of the food after digestion) reaches [the tissue elements] appropriately. This produces proper nourishment, strength, completion and exhilarations, and cures 100 diseases including those caused by Vayu (80 in number) and Kapha (20 in number). There is no medicine better than butter- milk, for the treatment of piles caused by Vayu and Kapha. [76- 88]
Charaka explains congenital hemorrhoids as below: (Chikitsa Sthana 14th chapter):
Person afflicted with congenital piles has the following signs and symptoms
1. Right from the birth, he is lean and thin, discolored, emaciated, weak, having flatus, urine and stool in excessive quantity and sometimes having their obstruction, and having urinary gravels and stone in the urinary tract.
2. His stool is irregular- sometimes it is constipated and sometimes it is normal; sometimes it is Pakva (free from Ama) and sometimes it is associated with Ama (Mucus or products of improper digestion) and sometimes it is dry and sometimes it is loose;
3. His stool, at times, is white, pale yellow, green, yellow, red, reddish, thin, dense, slimy, having the smell of dead body and associated with Ama( Mucus or products of improper digestion)
4. He suffers severe type of sawing pain in umbilicus, urinary bladder region and pelvis
5. He suffers from pain in anus, dysentery, horripilation, Prameha (urinary disorders including diabetes), continuous constipation, gurgling sound in the intestine, abdominal distension and a feeling as if the heart and the sense organs are covered with sticky material. (Hrudaya Indriya Upalepa)
6. He gets excessive eructation, which are often obstructed and associated with bitter and sour taste
7. He is extremely weak and has a very weak digestion strength, he has very little semen; he is irritable and he is difficult to treat.
8. He frequently gets cough, dyspnoea, asthma, morbid thirst, nausea, vomiting, anorexia, indigestion, chronic rhinitis and sneezing
9. He gets fits, fainting and headache
10. His voice is weak, broken of low pitch, impeded and hoarse
11. He suffers from fever, Malaise and pain in all the joints and bones
12. Occasional chest stiffness, stiffness in the sides of the abdomen, region of urinary bladder, cardiac region, back and lumber region.
13. Dizziness and extremely lazy
14. Right from the birth, his Apana Vayu gets obstructed by the piles- mass. Because of this obstruction to the passage, the Apana Vayu moves upwards and causes aggravation of Samana Vayu, Prana Vayu, Vyana Vayu, Pitta and Kapha. When all these 5 varieties of Vayu, pitta and Kapha get aggravated the individual succumbs to the above mentioned symptoms.
Thus ends the description of the congenital type of piles. 
Article written by Dr MS Krishnamurthy and Dr Hebbar