How To Make Bhringraj Oil For Hair Growth [Video]

Bhringraj oil and hair growth are almost synonymous in Ayurveda. It is one of the widely used hair oils to to promote hair growth, to improve hair quality, to relieve split hairs, grey hairs etc. Let us learn today a simple way of preparing Bhringaraj hair oil.

Before you start -
I have derived this formula on my own. You are free to add or delete any ingredient. If you want my help in deciding your formula, I will be glad to guide you.
I have given the quantities in ml. I also have given the quantities in parts. If you are not familiar with ml then just calculate the quantities in parts. You can consider 1 part = 1 ounce. If you have

What you need?
Bhrinagraj hair oil

Coconut oil – 500 ml (10 parts) – Usually hair oils are also prepared with sesame oil base. But coconut oil is the preferred choice.
Cow milk – 250 ml (5 parts) – cow milk comes with nutrition and we want to add that nutrition value into our hair oil. Remember that for all Ayurveda medicine preparation, whenever milk is told, pre-boiled milk only should be taken.
Grated coconut - 200 grams

Herbal powders:
Amla – Indian gooseberrypowder – 50 grams (1 part) – rich in anti oxidants and must have in all hair oils.
Bhringaraja - Eclipta alba – another must have in all hair oils.  - 50 grams (1 part)
Yashtimadhu - licorice powder – 50 grams (1 part)
Triphala powder  - promotes natural hair colour. Also useful to relieve skin diseases of the scalp and to relieve dandruff – 50 grams (1 part)
Aloe Vera – pieces of leaf – 25 – 50 grams (1/2 – 1 part)
Hibiscus flower paste -25 – 50 grams (1/2 – 1 part)

How to make?
It involves 2 parts.

Part 1 – Making kashayam

• Kashayam is the water extract of the herbs.
  • Take all the herb powders – Amla, Bhringaraja, Licorice, Triphala, Aloe vera – into a wide mouthed vessel. (total – 250 grams – 5 parts) While adding herbs, keep around 10 grams(1/5th part) of each of these herbs separately. add the remaining part of the herbs to the vessel.
  • Add 1 liter water to it (20 parts)
  • Boil this powder water mix till you get around 500 ml (10 parts)
  • While boiling stir continuously. Boil in mild fire. Taking a wide mouthed big vessel helps avoid spilling of boiling Kashayam.
  • After getting 500 ml (10 parts), filter the Kashayam.

Part 2 – Bhringaraja Tail  (oil) preparation

• Take 500 ml (10 parts) coconut oil in a big wide mouthed vessel.
  • Add 500 ml (10 parts) of Kashayam to it.
  • Add 250 ml (5 parts) milk to it.
  • Put grated coconut powder into a mixer / grinder, add a little water, and grind it. Add the ground coconut along with liquid to the vessel.
  • Add chopped hibiscus flower pieces into the vessel.
  • Start heating the whole mixture in mild fire. Stir continuously.

Observations:

• The mixture now contains 500 ml (10 parts) of coconut oil and all other powders and water. The goal is to evaporate all the water content from the mixture and get only the oil. So, at the end you will get around 450 – 500 ml (9 – 10 parts)of the oil.
  • In the initial phase of boiling the oil, there will be larger bubbles. These bubbles indicate water being evaporated.
  • In the initial phase, the whole mass looks dirty. But as the process moves on, the liquid becomes clearer.
  • At the end stage,  The vessel will start emitting aroma, the powders turn into a paste, which you can roll into the form of a wick, there will be profuse frothing. Big bubbles disappear.
  • If you take the powder paste to fire, it will not produce sound. It indicates that there is no moisture in the oil and the Bhringraj oil is ready.
  • Stop heating at this precise point and filter it when it is hot.

Shelf life:
If you store in air tight container, this oil is good to use for upto one and half years.
Preservatives required – None.
Where to get the herbs?
Within India, they are easily available in any Ayurveda store. In USA, they are available in amazon website.
Ad -

How to use?
It can be applied at night and next day morning head bath can be taken. But for some people, applying coconut oil at night may cause worsening of sinusitis. For such people, it can be applied half an hour before bath. For more on this read here – How to apply hair oil
Are there any other combinations?
Read here – How to prepare amla hair oil

Dr JV Hebbar is an Ayurveda Doctor, Assistant Professor, From Mangalore, India. Click here to consult Dr Hebbar

Comments

1. Varun Kumar says:

Superb write up…any reason for making the kashayam first…can’t we add ingredients directly…

Hi thanks. :) Making the Kashayam will help in including the water soluble phyto-chemicals of the herbs into the oil.

2. seshagiri says:

Sir, I have been reading your entire articles and are very encouraging and thank you very much for posting such useful and informative articles. Regards, seshagiri

3. visualcpp says:

All the hair care products available on earth, always contain items like amla and other cold prone items. But I have a body of Kapha type, and suffering from sinusitis (allergic type. Allergic to all sort of cold causing items like citrus fruits, butter milk etc and also allergic to chilled weather, rainy season), body pain while exposed to cold items and chilled weather. Is there any product for people like us for our hair care?

Hi, take any herbal hair oil. – 200 ml, add pepper powder – 10 grams, heat it just for 3 minutes in mild fire and filter when it is hot. Do not over heat it.
      Use this oil.
      Also, it is better to apply this oil 30 minutes before head bath in the morning rather than at night (for people with sinusitis).
      regards

4. Hello doctor : Is this oil also called Maha Bhringraj oil

5. Hai Sir,
    Can i use aloevera powder instead of aloevera leaves.

6. Hi sir
    thanks for your artical it is very useful in our life
    I

7. Very well written and helpful.
    How do we add indigo or neeli to Amla Coconut oil.
    Another thing is Amla makes the hair curly. if we do not want it curly what do we add to oil.

8. Thank you Dr. Hebbar for the great video. I have a few questions:
    * Is licorice root powder the same thing as licorice powder?
    *What is your opinion about methi daana (fenugreek seeds) in terms of hair care? Would you recommend adding it to this oil?
    *Is it okay if I don’t add Hibiscus flowers to this oil if they are not easily available?

Thank you for your help.

Hello Sarah,
      Licorice root powder and Licorice powder are one and the same.
      Yes, Fenugreek is very very useful for hair. It also acts as a coolant and helps to relieve headache. It can surely be added to this hair oil formula.
      You can skip any ingredient that is hard to get. In that way, this formula is quite flexible.

9. kedar kamat says:

sir, thank you for this information. I just want to know can we use indigo(neel) in making hair oil and what proportion. Is it harmful to use. Thank you sir. Have a nice day.

Hi, Indigo is quite commonly used in making hair oil. In this same formula, indigo powder can be used as another herb, in the same proportion to the other herbs mentioned.

10. Hello, can I use fresh herbs instead of powdered herbs, thank you

11. This is great information. How long does this process take?

12. Hi sir ,
    1) I have two things dabur amla oil and bhringraj powder. Can I mix these to for my hair(premature grey hair) if yes wat will be the ratio.
    2 ) I heard that we can drink this powder with tea or mixed with water! Is it true

Pls give reply sir g.

13. Hi sir,
    Can I also add brahmi powder and amruth(Antavaladakai) powder in the preparation.. I have heard that amruth powder increases grey hair and it reduces hair fall.Pl inform whether it is true or not. . Can lavancha also be added to this. Can you pl inform whether lavancha powder or lavancha root can be added to it.

14. Geeta Karmani says:

Thank you very much for your article.
    can i add Brahmi to this oil? If yes what should be the quantity as more quantity of Brahmi can be problematic for mind.

You can add Brahmi to this. quantity can be 50 grams.

• can i use microwave for this heating as it using gas for such long time will not be feasible for me. also i have incubator ovens that go to a temperature of 200º C (i work in science lab) can that be used. your answer will be deeply appreciated. some say sesame oil is good for hair so which brand of sesame oil do you recommend for hair. i stay in mumbai

Hi Aditya, You can use microwave or incubator ovens. But the point is, there is should be room for water evaporation. Once after it starts boiling, the temperature should not exceed 100 – 105 degree Celsius. Or else, the oil will get burnt.
          You can use any good brand of sesame oil available in the market. Since it is used for external application, the quality of the oil might not make big difference. If the oil is decent enough, it is good to go.

15. Hello sir , Can we apply paste of all powders on hair intead of making oil.

Hi Nidhi, Applying it in the form of paste will surely have some benefits, though the effect might not be entirely similar to the oil.

16. you have mentioned reserve 10 gm of each powder. what should be done of that can you guide me

Hi, that reserved 10 gram each of powders is added directly to the oil+decoction mix while making heating. Please watch video as well. Let me know if you still have doubts.

• Dear Dr. Thank you very much for your article.
        For the past 3 years I am preparing the hair oil with the herbs & oil mentioned by u. But I am not using grated coconut powder. Moreover I am not heating it. Instead I am putting it in the sun light (sooriya pudam) for 7/10 days and using it. I am adding vettiver & rose petals in the oil. Is it correct.

17. sir what other ingredients can be added to this oil..?

18. HELLO SIR,
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR UR KIND INFORMATION.GOD BLESS U AND UR FAMILY.

Thanks. May God bless you too :)

• hello Dr,

first of all i would like to tell u,the method u thought,was excellant.i tried and successful.thank you very much dr.
        Dr. I have several question and seek answer ;

1) let say if i add few herbal powder with ur formula,is there any changes in coconut oil or grated coconut measurements ?

b) please teach me ratio for coconut oil and herbal powders.

c) can i add gingelly or mustrd or other oils as well with with ur finished oils.and what is the ratio?

tq Dr.

Dear Moulana, thanks for appreciation.
          1. The amount of grated coconut can be reduced proportionate to the other herbs that you add.
          2. Coconut oil: herbal powder = 16:1
          3. It is not a good idea to add other oil to the finally made coconut oil.

19. HI SIR,
    what is best method to infuse herbs oil.example: amla ,bhringraj etc.
    and what is the ratio ,if we use oil or water.
    tq

As per Ayurveda, herb paste:sesame oil:water(or decoction) in 1:4:16 is the recommended ratio.

20. Hi sir can we apply this oil to hair and leave it for 3 or 4 days

21. Thank You Sir,
    You explained well.
    But will boiling the oil won’t destroy its nutrients, good for hair as I read elsewhere.
    Secondly, I frequently have cough and cold problem, So may I use olive/mustard oil for this mixture.

Once the contents start boiling, the heat amount is reduced and minimal heat just to keep the water boiling and evaporating is maintained. With this temperature, no useful phyto-chemicals will be lost.
      You can sue olive oil / mustard oil mix can surely be used in place of coconut oil.

22. Hi Doc,

Am in the States and African American, will it work on my natural hair because I dont have any chemical in it. The ingredients I can get them in product in any India stores.

23. Preeti A says:

Hello Dr., I just came across this article. This is how I prepare my oil- Boil amla (3-4 tbsp) and methi (3-4 tbsp) in 200 ml coconut oil. Cool and filter in bottle. Add 200 ml each of black seed oil (kalonji) and castor oil. Also add fenugreek seeds and kalonji seeds to bottle. I use this oil 2-3 times a week. I had thin hair but I feel this oil is helping (I’m 24, father has male pattern baldness, mother has thin hair)

My questions- i live in US, purchased some triphala powder and licorice powder and want to add it in the oil. Can i boil it in coconut oil and add it to this oil mix I described above? Also, can I add olive oil to the mix? I read somewhere that olive and castor oil mixed results in hair fall so I’m asking.

I’m working very hard on my hair so it becomes thick, please help me sir. Thanks!

• Preeti A says:

Also I want to add onion to the oil, since I heard it is rich in sulphur which aids growth. And many people have said mustard is good for growth so sometimes I add mustard seeds while boiling coconut oil (since I cannot stand the mustard oil smell)

Please could you suggest how I can improvise? Thanks.

onion would add bad smell to oil. Hence, better to avoid. It is more commonly used in pain oils, rather than in hair oils.
        I do not think mustard seeds will add much value.

Hi, ideally it is not very good to mix too many oils to make one herbal oil. Because it is yielding results, let us stick with black seed oil and castor oil. To your formula, you can a teaspoon of each of licorice and triphala.

24. Bhavana Lalwani says:

Heyy.. I have a question. Can we add Brahmi, Shikakai and areetha powder to the ingredients mentioned above?

25. Hi Dr, thank you very much for this article , I’m from Germany and it’s difficult to find pre-boiled milk what I can use instead of it?

Write your opinion about this article