Bhringraj oil and hair growth are almost synonymous in Ayurveda. It is one of the widely used hair oils to to promote hair growth, to improve hair quality, to relieve split hairs, grey hairs etc. Let us learn today a simple way of preparing Bhringaraj hair oil.
Before you start –
I have derived this formula on my own. You are free to add or delete any ingredient. If you want my help in deciding your formula, I will be glad to guide you.
I have given the quantities in ml. I also have given the quantities in parts. If you are not familiar with ml then just calculate the quantities in parts. You can consider 1 part = 1 ounce. If you have
Coconut oil – 500 ml (10 parts) – Usually hair oils are also prepared with sesame oil base. But coconut oil is the preferred choice.
Cow milk – 250 ml (5 parts) – cow milk comes with nutrition and we want to add that nutrition value into our hair oil. Remember that for all Ayurveda medicine preparation, whenever milk is told, pre-boiled milk only should be taken.
Grated coconut – 200 grams
Amla – Indian gooseberry – powder – 50 grams (1 part) – rich in anti oxidants and must have in all hair oils.
Bhringaraja – Eclipta alba – another must have in all hair oils. – 50 grams (1 part)
Yashtimadhu – licorice powder – 50 grams (1 part)
Triphala powder – promotes natural hair colour. Also useful to relieve skin diseases of the scalp and to relieve dandruff – 50 grams (1 part)
Aloe Vera – pieces of leaf – 25 – 50 grams (1/2 – 1 part)
Hibiscus flower paste –25 – 50 grams (1/2 – 1 part)
How to make?
It involves 2 parts.
Part 1 – Making kashayam
- Kashayam is the water extract of the herbs.
- Take all the herb powders – Amla, Bhringaraja, Licorice, Triphala, Aloe vera – into a wide mouthed vessel. (total – 250 grams – 5 parts) While adding herbs, keep around 10 grams(1/5th part) of each of these herbs separately. add the remaining part of the herbs to the vessel.
- Add 1 liter water to it (20 parts)
- Boil this powder water mix till you get around 500 ml (10 parts)
- While boiling stir continuously. Boil in mild fire. Taking a wide mouthed big vessel helps avoid spilling of boiling Kashayam.
- After getting 500 ml (10 parts), filter the Kashayam.
Part 2 – Bhringaraja Tail (oil) preparation
- Take 500 ml (10 parts) coconut oil in a big wide mouthed vessel.
- Add 500 ml (10 parts) of Kashayam to it.
- Add 250 ml (5 parts) milk to it.
- Put grated coconut powder into a mixer / grinder, add a little water, and grind it. Add the ground coconut along with liquid to the vessel.
- Add chopped hibiscus flower pieces into the vessel.
- Start heating the whole mixture in mild fire. Stir continuously.
- The mixture now contains 500 ml (10 parts) of coconut oil and all other powders and water. The goal is to evaporate all the water content from the mixture and get only the oil. So, at the end you will get around 450 – 500 ml (9 – 10 parts)of the oil.
- In the initial phase of boiling the oil, there will be larger bubbles. These bubbles indicate water being evaporated.
- In the initial phase, the whole mass looks dirty. But as the process moves on, the liquid becomes clearer.
- At the end stage, The vessel will start emitting aroma, the powders turn into a paste, which you can roll into the form of a wick, there will be profuse frothing. Big bubbles disappear.
- If you take the powder paste to fire, it will not produce sound. It indicates that there is no moisture in the oil and the Bhringraj oil is ready.
- Stop heating at this precise point and filter it when it is hot.
If you store in air tight container, this oil is good to use for upto one and half years.
Preservatives required – None.
Where to get the herbs?
Within India, they are easily available in any Ayurveda store. In USA, they are available in amazon website.
How to use?
It can be applied at night and next day morning head bath can be taken. But for some people, applying coconut oil at night may cause worsening of sinusitis. For such people, it can be applied half an hour before bath. For more on this read here – How to apply hair oil
Are there any other combinations?
Read here – How to prepare amla hair oil
Where to get the ingredients?
Amla powder is available in amazon India website here – http://amzn.to/2irQmVJ
Bhringaraja Powder – http://amzn.to/2iUYjWI
Yashtimadhu powder http://amzn.to/2im8cvu
Triphala powder – http://amzn.to/2iUNSCq
Aloe vera powder – http://amzn.to/2hGL0qJ
Hibiscus powder – http://amzn.to/2hD1uNm