How To Make Hair Oil At Home With Amla

Amla oil is a very effective hair oil for most of the hair problems. It also helps to relieve headache, dizziness and other Pitta related symptoms. Here is a traditional Ayurvedic way of preparing Amla hair oil.

Amla for hair growth:
Amla is very rich in nutrients and anti oxidants. These nutrients and phyto-chemicals not only benefit our stomach, when applied as hair oil, they also impart nourishment to the skin and hair.

How to make amla hair oil at home?
What you need:
Amla powder – 250 grams + 100 grams
Water – 4 liters
Coconut oil – 500 ml

Why coconut oil?

Most of the Ayurvedic oils are prepared with sesame oil base. But for hairs, coconut oil is a better choice because of high nutritive value. But people with sinusitis, cold problem may not tolerate coconut oil. They may use sesasme oil / mustard oil in place of coconut oil.

Procedure:

First Amla kashayam is prepared. kashayam means water decoction.
Add 250 grams of amla powder to 4 liters of water and boil and reduce to 1 liter.

The rules for making Kashayam like maintaining low flame, continuous stirring, using a wide mouthed vessel etc.

After the decoction is boiled and reduced to 1 liter, the liquid is filtered to get Kashayam.

Take the Kashayam in a wide mouthed vessel.

Take 100 grams of amla powder in a small bowl, add a little water to it to make it into Amla paste.

Add this amla paste and add 500 ml of coconut oil to the amla kashayam.

Heat this mixture of oil, Amla kashayam and Amla paste in mild heat till only the coconut oil remains.

Signs to observe:

Initially the whole mass turns into muddy. Slowly as water starts evaporating, the oil starts getting separated. The liquid starts getting clearer.

Initially the water bubbles will be visible. At the end stage, when water is completely evaporated, the bubbles stop and froathing sets in. Indicating to stop the oil heating.

Initially if you take the amla paste from the oil and put it onto fire, it makes noice, indicating the presence of water.

When the water is completely evaporated, there will not be any noice, when amla paste is put on fire.

It may take upto  3 hours to complete the procedure.

After when you are sure about complete loss of water, stop heating and filter it when it is still hot.

You will get 400 – 450 ml of final yield of the oil.

Proportions to prepare 10 oz of Amla oil –
If you are not familiar with grams and ml calculations, here is the calculation to prepare 10 oz of Amla hair oil.
Step 1: For Kashaya preparation:

Amla powder for Kashaya preparation – 5 oz
Water for Kashaya – 80 oz
Boil water with Amla powder and reduce the Kashaya to 20 oz.

Step 2. Oil making
Kashaya – 20 oz (got from the above technique)
Coconut oil – 10 oz
Amla powder – made into paste with water – 2 oz.

Final product expected – around 10 oz or just slightly lesser.

Principle behind this procedure:

This technique of making amla hair oil is based on Ayurveda principle. The Kashayam contains water soluble active phyto-nutrients of Amla and Boiling Amla powder along with Kashayam with coconut oil extracts Fat soluble phyto nutrients of Amla into the oil.

Coconut oil itself is a rich source of nutrients that are required for hair care.

Benefits:

•  Relieves split hair, dry hair problem
  • promotes hair growth both in men and women
  • Relieves dandruff, nourishes the hair root and scalp.
  • Relieves headache, dizziness
  • Relieves nasal bleeding in children, which usually occurs due to excessive sun exposure and during summer.

How is it better than market available amla hair oil?

• You know all the ingredients, you know the genuinity of amla powder and hence you are aware and assure of the quality of hair oil.
  • No preservative is added. No chemical perfume is added. The product is 100 % natural.

Shelf life:

The oil can be stored for a period of 1 – 1.5 years in air tight container.

Dr JV Hebbar is an Ayurveda Doctor, Assistant Professor, From Mangalore, India. Click here to consult Dr Hebbar

Comments

1. Kunwar Singh says:

The above article is very informative for a large number of population.

2. Srividya Kumar Iyer says:

Dear Sir,

Thank you sir for Amla hair oil preparation. Its very helpful.

Regards
    Srividya Kumar

3. Thank you so much for this helpful tutorial on how to make Amla oil. I bought some Amla powder yesterday and will make the oil now. Finally i will have a good quality home made oil and not a bad quality industrial one made of bad mineral oils.

4. Nice one. However which coconut oil to use? Is Parachute fine? How to make sure we get pure coconut oil?

Parachute, or any brand of good coconut oil is just fine. Since it is for external use only, there should not a big worry about the quality of coconut oil.

5. Sir, in this method of making hair oil, you have not added FENUGREEK, is it not required to also add fenugreek ? As far as I think fenugreek helps in making the hair black [ natual colour ] from grey hair. Please advice Sir.

6. Hello Sir I just watched your video and it’s really informative and I liked it. I had to ask you a question is amla oil beneficial for growing beard ?

7. Sir, can we make hair oil by taking equal amount of amla juice and coconut oil and heat until oil remain? or by adding all at one say amla powder 350 g coconut oil 500ml and 1l litre of water until oil remains instead of making kashayam? what will the changes in properties of making oil like this?

You can just mix amla powder + water+oil and boil till oil remains. But traditionally Kashayam is made first. Making Kashayam ensures maximum availability of water soluble Amla extracts in the oil.

If you’re only taking amla juice and coconut oil, then you will miss most of the fat and water soluble active principles of Amla in the oil. So do not.

8. Sir, sorry but one more doubt. Instead of powder, if we take fresh grated amla 1/2 kg+water1l+coconut oil 500ml and boil until oil remains will oil will have maximum amla extract as per your theory of making amla oil? is the measurement correct? what colour oil will have at end.

In making of herbal oils, in all the references found, Amla is always used as dry powder. However, no harm in using fresh one, if you do not get it dry.
      Around 200 – 300 grams of pulp + 1 liter of water and 500 ml oil looks good. But this is just a guess work.

9. Sir, actually I was trying to make kashayam but I was unable to separate water from powder after burning 3 liter of water. I don’t know where I have done mistake. Is it we have to take coarse powder to make kashayam and fine powder in oil please explain?

That is why for Kashayam, always coarse powder is preferred.
      If you’ve taken fine powder, then filter it across a cloth and use that thick Kashayam only. It can also be used to prepare the oil.

10. Sir, to grow knee length hair for my daughter which other herbs can be added with amla and in which ratio?

11. Sir, roughly when we can except making of your another hair oil? one more suggestion pls try to put the recipe in which hair oil gets ready within one hour as it will be helpful to all of us and save gas also.

12. Wonderful video, I just wanted to know what type of paper are you using to strain this with?

Hey, thanks. Usually a semi-porous cloth is used for filtering. It should not be too thin nor too thick. Not too porous.
      If you are using a new cloth, better to wash it once to remove all the starch from the cloth. If not, the starch in the cloth may get mixed with oil.
      Just try any cloth you have once. Then you will know by yourself. :)

13. JACQUELYN CROWLEY says:

I am from Califorinia do you sell the Alma oil and powder you make, if not where would i find the pure raw Alma powder and the oil online, also how many tablespoons instead of grams sorry i am just not familiar with grams.
    Thanks for info

I have given the links from amazon for Amla and coconut oil. Please see at the end of the article, above. Both are quite abundantly available in USA.
      Roughly 3 – 4 grams make a tablespoon.

14. Sir, I have 555 grams of freh amla. Amla powder is not available here.Can I make hair oil with this fresh amla? Please… I can’t dry it because of the cold climate.

15. can you tell me how?

Just replace amla powder quantities with fresh amla. The final oil may be a bit diluted, but still will be effective.

16. I didn’t understand. Can I make kashayam with the same quantity of fresh amla pieces? Did you mean that?

Yes. to make kashaya and to use as paste in the making of oil, use the fresh amla only.
      Another suggestion is – why don’t you make Pickles out of fresh amla and get amla powder and make the oil with the powder?

17. Thank u so much sir

18. JACQUELYN CROWLEY says:

I purchased 2 kinds of Amla Dhanraj Amla powder (green & brown box) and the Hesh Amla powder(picture of the lady i guess for the hair only)what is the difference between them

The Dhanraj brand seemed to be old How can i tell. I made the amla oil the 1st time and was not paying attention and the oil burned is it any good can i still use it?
    Do I have to rinse out the oil or can I leave it in after I shampoo
    Can I use the kashayam ( what’s left over after it’s been boiled in water) that’s been strained as a scrub for my face

19. What quantities should one use for a final priducr of around 6oz of amla oil. Since will take less preparation time and I also like to use my oil freshly made on a weekly basis. Also, what would gice better results, should the oil be applied on dry hair before due for a wash or on damp clean hair and then wash it out again in order to rinse the oil?

Calculation for 6 oz of Amla hair oil (final product)
      step 1 – Kashayam preparation.
      Amla powder for Kashaya – 3 oz
      Water for kashaya – 48 oz
      Boil this mix and reduce the Kashaya to 12 oz.

Step 2 – Oil making
      Kashaya – 12 oz (that you got from above)
      Coconut oil – 6 oz
      Amla powder (to be made into paste and added to oil) – 1.2 oz

Hope it helps.

20. hello sir,
    sir i am 25 year old and unfortunately have 60-70% of my hair grey……though it could be hereditary too as my parents had early hair greying . i would be highly thankful to you if you can recommend me something whether an oil or shampoo or anything that can help me turning grey hair to black and can prevent further greying. looking forward for your reply soon.i reside in DELHI (INDIA).

regards

21. Very well-done explanation! But how do we use amla oil on hair? Does it work as a normal shampoo!!! Thank you!

22. Perpetue says:

I make some oil, by just adding 12,5 grams of amla into 50ml of grapeseed oil and 10ml of castor oil and let it boil. I don’t know if it is good, but my roots feel really soft. I will try to made it your way. Can I still used the oil?

23. Very nicely explained.

I have heard that neeli can be mixed with amla coconut oil. How does neeli in oil help the hair. And how long does one have to keep the neeli alma oil to get the benefit.

Neeli helps in hair growth and to relieve grey hairs.
      Applying this oil half an hour before head bath is good. This oil can also be applied at night, but some people get problems of cold and worsening of sinusitis with such usage.

24. SillyWabbit says:

Hello there! Thank you very much for your detailed video. May I use a coconut oil + olive oil mixture?

Dear Sillywabbit,
      You can surely use coconut oil+olive oil mix.
      Thanks for liking my video.

25. There is an oil that they sell and they add bhringraj, amla, rosemary, lavender, jojoba and they add Biotin and MSM (methylsulfonyl-methane). I wonder if it would not affect the herbs good properties. What do you think?

Biotin is used in hair loss.
      MSM is used orally in arthritis, high cholesterol etc.
      Generally, the herbal ingredients should not lose their properties because of presence of MSM and biotin.

26. Can we strain the oil with filter paper used for coffe.
    Can I add Bringhraj to itl

27. i tried this procedure and have one query. incase there is a doubt regarding any small amount of moisture can we reheat filtered oil and remove moisture or oil is to be discarded. Will it cause scalp infection if there is small amount of moisturw. Please clarify.

Good question and observation. If you have doubt of remnant moisture, you can mildly heat it just for 2 – 3 minutes only. Remember that, while heating after filtration, if the heat is more or if it is heated for long, then it may burn the oil and your entire efforts. Usually moisture leads to ticking sound while heating. But do not wait till all the ticking sound stops. Stop soon after 2- 3 minutes.
      Moisture in the oil will cause Kapha increase in skin and may cause itching and other kapha dominant skin conditions like dandruff. Hence not desirable.

28. Hello Dr J V Hebbar,
    Thank you for this video and information. I made amla oil according to your instructions, however, while the oil was cooking the amla paste stuck to the bottom and burned a bit. The rest of the amla paste separated from the oil and I collected the oil and I am using it. Is it alright to use this oil since some of the paste burned? The oil smells a bit smoked but the smell is not bad and once I apply it the smell dissipates since I mix it with essential oils of rosemary and peppermint.

Also, I am also making another hair oil following your instructions, but this time I am including the following herbal powders: amla, Brahmi, fenugreek, henna, indigo, neem and lemon peel. The proportions are: 100 gr each of amla, Brahmi and fenugreek. And 25 grams each for henna, indigo, neem and lemon peel powders. I already made the kashayan and saved it in the fridge. The following day I will make the oil with the kashayan (approximately 1 and a half liters) and I will add 150 grs of all the powders combined. Also I will use 800 ml of coconut oil.

I am mainly using this oil for mild hair fall (my hair falls when I wash it) and for stimulating more hair growth while at the same time trying to keep my gray hair darker.
    Is what I am doing alright? Please advice.
    Thank you all the way from Chicago!
    Gloria

Hello Gloria,
      1. When you are making the oil, especially when you reach the end stage, you need to stir the contents continuously and heat it in a very medium low fire to avoid sticking of the amla paste to the bottom. (This applies to any Ayurvedic oil that you may try).
      If the smell is tolerable, I do not see any problem with it. You can use it.

2. When you prepare the kashayam, in stead of keeping in the refrigerator and adding it to the oil+powder the next day, I would suggest to add the kashayam and the powder to the oil on the same day, when the kashayam is still hot and fresh. Then, boil the mix of kashayam+oil+powder just for 10 minutes. Stop heating, keep a lid on the vessel. The next day, you can start heating the oil till the end.
      On the first day, if you boil the oil for 10 minutes, the contents will not get spoilt for the next day. No need to even refrigerate it. This will help you follow two Ayurveda principles in one shot.

Principle A – Never use Kashayam on the next day. Kashayam should be used when it is fresh and hot. (fresh but Cold kashayam is only advised in high Pitta condition, for oral intake).
      Principle B – It is said in Ayurveda text books that oils, herbal ghees and avaleha (herbal jams like Chyawanprash) should not be prepared in a single day. Moon light and coldness of light also has its own therapeutic benefits that gets into the product (oil / ghee / avaleha).
      Namaste! from Moodbidri, Mangalore, India :)

• Thank you Dr. Hebbar!

This information is very helpful.

Do you agree that this oil may help me with my mild hair fall and stimulate hair growth and add strength to hair follicle? I have read that these herbs have shown remarkable positive results for these types of hair conditions.

I plan to apply the oil at least 4 times per week for the next several months, until I see improvement of my hair condition. After I get to that point, I plan to apply the oil at least once per week to maintain hair health and vitality.
        Is this something you agree with?
        Thank you again!
        Gloria

29. And I even read using sesame is a better option for people prone to cold

30. How much does the making of the oil cost ? And can you use the product directly after when it is done?

Hi, to make 20 ounce of oil, it might cost you around 10 – 20 USD. You can use the product soon after it is made.

31. I have two queries.
    1. I have dried amla and would like to make amla oil with that. will directly boiling dried amla in coconut oil is effective or is there any specific method. If kashayam method is the best one can you please explain how to make kashayam with dried amla and then the oil preparation too.

2. How to make hair oil using curry leaves ? which oil is good for treating grey hair curry leaves oil or amla oil? Thanks.

1. It is better to make Amla with with Kashayam, as stated in the article.
      2. procedure to make oil out of curry leaves is same as the procedure mentioned above. Just replace amla with curry leaves. Amla hair oil will be better for grey hair than of curry leaves.

32. Hello sir nice video….I tried yo make oil by directly adding amla powder to oil and then boil it for 10 minutes then I stained it then added little water in it say about a teaspoon bt after stirring it for 5 minutes tht oil started to splutter are there ws a mini blast which spilled the oil all over thank god there ws no injuries can u pls tell me where did I go wrong….my guess is tht I didnt take the long vessel….can u pls mention the size of the vessel where u boil the oil. Thanks

Once you add the amla powder oil and water to the vessel, and start boiling do not ads any water or any other thing to it.
      The vessel should be bog enough so that contents do not cross half of the capacity of the vessel, ideally.
      Once after you start heating, it should be continued till total water content inside the oil completely evaporates. Any remnant water would cause spoiling of the oil.

Write your opinion about this article