How To Use Ghee For Skin Care? A Simple Ayurveda Method

It is a common notion that ghee is used only orally. But in Ayurveda, it is extensively used for skin care. A special but very simple ghee preparation is used in many skin conditions like burns, wound scars, skin marks, burning sensation etc.

How To Use Ghee For Skin?

This ghee remedy is called as Shata dhauta ghrita in Ayurveda.

• Shata = 100
  • Dhauta = washed with water
  • Ghrita = ghee or clarified butter.
What you need?
Ghee – 10 ounce
water – sufficient quantity.
ghee for skin care

ghee for skin care

In this home remedy for skin care, we are taking ghee, adding with equal quantity of water, mixing it thoroughly with hand or a machine for 3 – 5 minutes, letting out the water. Then again we are adding fresh water and continuing mixing. Like this, we are repeating it for as many times as possible. In Ayurveda, it is advised to repeat the procedure for 100 times. But in practice, it is usually done for 20 – 30 times.

Changes -

The ghee turns to white colour. It will be smoother to touch and will have butter like consistency.

When you touch it, you can appreciate that it is lot cooler.

Ad: Buy pure organic ghee -

Benefits of ghee for skin -

This Shata dhauta ghrita is used to relieve burning sensation, to relieve burn wounds, wound scar, herpes wounds, chicken pox scars, etc.

It acts as natural skin moisturizer, if used daily. It can be applied over face, left for 10 minutes, washed with warm water.

In pregnant woman, with unexplained bleeding or spotting, traditionally, it is advised to apply this Shata dhauta ghrita around umbelicus.
In Ayurvedic leech therapy, after the treatment, to reduce the burning sensation and to check further bleeding, this ghee is applied of the affected area.

Shelf life: 4 – 6 months.
Because this ghee eventually contains some remnant moisture inside, it is not ideal to store it for more than six months.
It should be stored in a clean, dry air tight container.
Over exposure to air will cause foul smell.

Dr JV Hebbar is an Ayurveda Doctor, Assistant Professor, From Mangalore, India. Click here to consult Dr Hebbar

Comments

1. MAHENDRA KUMAR says:

I am having psoriasis psoriasis problem-though not very serious- mainly on legs and hands.
    can this ghee be applied on the affected part and will there be any benefit by doing this?

To some extent, this ghee is beneficial in psoriasis. All though it is not a definite remedy for psoriasis.

2. A very small query about above shat _washed_ghrit ; WOULD IT BE WRONG IF “ELECTRIC MIXER IS USED -to drain out ………from GHRIT AND TIME OF CHURNING MAY BE INCREASED WITH QTY OF WATER TO REDUCE FREQUENCY OF WASHING. SHALL IT BE WASTE, if prepared so. _ Your good self may understand a qoute-”the taste of meals depend upon patience of house wife to stand (without stress)in kitchen. In nut shell “patience ” is damged in present hectic life schedule.
    reagrds &; thanks -p.k.sharma

Dear sir,
      electric mixer can be used for mixing purpose, but after doing this, the mixer jar might become very greasy.
      Even an electronic blender can also be used for the above purpose.

Regarding the patience part – If you ever try any home remedy, you will surely experience that it requires quite an amount of patience. But I am sure, it will be rewarding. :)

3. hi
    ur website is very useful,,
    thanking u

4. Very interesting. :) I will try this.

5. i have made this several times. i usually just shake the ghee and water in a jar and then pour out the water and do it again – and try to do it 100 times! i have also kneaded it and stirred it. the shaking it works just as well! i’ve also used orange flower water for the liquid and this works well also.

however i found that i prefer regular scented ghee for most skin uses. i have very vata skin and the water in the ghee and the cooling effects made my skin dry!!!

good article!

6. btw – this is the auryvedic equivalent of cold cream IMO!!! lol

7. Dr J V Hebbar MD(Ayu) says:

A reader asks.
    I prepared it by washing ghee 25 times using an electric beater. It looks good.
    I have a doubt. How to store it? Should it be refrigerated? Currently, I have refrigerated it and taken a small quantity and kept it outside. Is that fine? Kindly let me know.
    My answer –
    Make sure to drain out entire water, as much as you can, at the end of the procedure.
    Yes it can be refrigerated. and little can be taken out, and used after it gains normal room temperature.
    Dhauta Ghrita is a natural coolant. and its cooling property will further be enhanced by refrigeration.
    Refrigeration further helps to avoid early spoiling of the ghee. This ghee is very quick to get rancid, as it is having some amount of moisture in it. But it is a very good for skin.

8. sanjeev says:

dr.this ghee massage is good for stretch marks for female on abdomen as well as on lower body pl. let me know.thanks

Yes it s good. Make a cup of this ghee and add half a teaspoon of turmeric powder and apply it to the stretch mark area, 30 minutes before bath. Then wash off. Do it daily.
      Note that, during initial months of pregnancy, if the mother applies plain sesame oil / ghee daily to the lower abdomen, then there will not be any stretch marks at all.

9. Is there a trick to getting out all of the water? I keep having water bubbles form. Thanks!

In fact the final product will have some amount of water in it. Hence this product is vulnerable to rancidity within a couple of months. But it is very easy to make, hence can be prepared as and when required.

10. Thank you, I also have inconsistent results. The first time I made it was with home made ghee, filtered tap water, and mixed it by hand in a glass bowl and it turned out great. The second time I used store bought ghee, mixed it in a copper bowl, and mixed it on the low speed on a machine. It is very gritty and has too much water in it. Are there any tricks or tips for me for making the best batch possible? Thanks you so much and I appreciate your help.

Using home made ghee is the best option. Then there is maximum chance that everything goes all right.
      More the number of times that you churn the ghee with water, more effective will be the ghee.
      If you have bought ghee from the store, then heat it in very low flame for just two minutes. Allow it to cool down. Use that ghee for churning.

• Another ‘factor’ to consider is the purity of the water — filtered tap water is still usually chlorinated at source, and once chlorinated, water becomes ‘lifeless’ (devoid of ‘Prana’). So you might try using spring water and see if that helps.

11. For beauty purposes, can I try washing with rose water instead of plain water?

12. can we use steel bowl for preparing this medicine?

13. Hello :)

What happens if I would mix some herbs in the washed ghee?
    and if by any chance would be useful then when should the herbs be mixed in it?

I am glad that you asked this very important question.
      1. This remedy is just to explore all the skin benefiting qualities of un-processed pure cow ghee.
      2. This remedy does not involve any process that helps to extract the medicinal chemicals of plants into the ghee medium. For example, if we heat ghee with some herbs, then there is extraction of phyt-ochemicals from plant to the ghee. But here there is no heat at all. There is just the ghee and we are churning it with a little water. So, adding any herb to it might not be that beneficial.
      3. The shelf life of this product is relatively lower than regular ghee, because it contains embedded water molecules and the ghee undergoes rancidity within one or two months.
      4. There is no reference in Ayurvedic text books that directs us to add any herb to the ghee in this method.
      So, all these tells us not to add any herb / spice to it.

Hope it clarifies your doubt. B)

• Thank you for article. I will make it for shure. But you said in uper unsver to ad turmeric to the whashed ghee for strech marks. So what is ok toad to this amazing skin treatment?

14. Hi, can this ghee be applied on extensive open wounds? The skin condition is called lichen planus.

15. can i use this on my oily and acne prone face? i want to use this for my face and back acne scars and stretchmarks on arms as well as for dryness on legs.

16. radiantgoddess says:

Hi doctor, you said that this helps to treat wounds/scars from herpes. I have such wounds from long time back and it left me with scar white in colour, meaning I have lost my skin colour pigments from numerous herpes outbreaks on my lips and below my nose. It has been a couple of years now and I still haven’t seen the colour pigments come back. Does this remedy help? Thank you

This remedy might help. But I can not promise wholeheartedly.

• radiantgoddess says:

Noted Doctor. However is there any other remedy that you can suggest that you think would help to regain my loss skin colour pigments due to injury. Thank you.

Applying Kumkumadi Tailam might help. But can not guarantee a sure result.

• radiantgoddess says:

Thanks doctor, just to let you know I have been using kumkumadi thailam as a night cream for the past 1 month, but I avoid applying on the white scar thinking it might make the scar whiter, So can I take your advise and apply kumkumadi thailam on the area where I have loss my skin colour pigments to regain them back?

Thanks doctor

It will help you even if you apply on the white scars. It is not just a kinda white paint that wherever you apply, it will make the area whiter. It is a healing oil and it will also help in normal pigmentation of the scar. But I can not promise that the scar will entirely go away. But it will surely improve.

17. Can ghee remove old stretch mark scars

Yes, to some extent. Try making a mix of turmeric – 1 teaspoon with two ounce of ghee. Try applying this. Hope it helps.

• Thank you Doctor..when is the best time to apply it .. My stretch marks are white in colour

Half an before bath is the best time to apply.

• Applying ghee on old accident scars helps it?? Can applying ghee with turmeric for only 30minutes will remove all my stretch marks..for how long should I use this remedy..

Yes, applying a ghee – turmeric mixture helps to relieve old scars to some extent. But results can not be guaranteed. There will be some improvement for sure. Please try for a month.

18. My skin is oily ,can i use ghee on my skin to remove marks left by brono. pls help me.
    i will be thankfull to u.

Hi, Using Kumkumadi taila can be of some help. Rather than plain ghee.
      Take Kumkumadi taila – 5 drops in to your finger tips gently rub it on to your face for 5 minutes, wash off with warm water. Do this two times a day for 5 weeks. In India, it is available in any Ayurveda medical shop.
      In USA, available here – http://amzn.to/143ZrbJ (aff).

19. I have developed black marks near the nose on both the sides, can ghee remove those scars if so how should i use it

20. Can I add an essential to scent the Shat douth gritha?

21. Dr. JV HEBBAR.
    I am 63, diabetic. Diagnosed diabetic cold feet/allowdyna. Sensitive to extreme temperatures and winds. I can’t stand fan air in the room. The lower part of my legs have burning sensation all the time, can’t walk bare foot in the house. I am comfortable in the night under two layers of woolen blankets.
    I feel it as skin problem. Advice if the ghee can help if applied as suggested.
    Thanks.
    Ravinder Reddy. Hyderabad.

Dear Mr Reddy, this ghee is coolant and hence might not be useful in cold feet. However, it is useful in reducing the burning sensation due to diabetic neuropathy.

• ravinder Reddy says:

Thank you, Dr, JV Heber.
        Let’s hope, the said ghee reduces the burning sensation. This will do a lot good to the diabetics..
        Ravinder Reddy

22. Hello Dr. Hebbar,
    Thank you for sharing this wonderful information. I have been using this ghee for 8 days now, two things have been very obvious, my skin tone has drastically improved and there is a noticeable glow on my face.
    I had some questions:
    1) I made SDG yesterday ( washed it 22 times), can I go back and wash it a few more times? do it 100 times in installments?
    2) Once SDG is ready can I heat it to aid storing? (transferring it from the SDG preparation blow to a storage bottle, I bought 16oz bottle of ghee, which I used to make SDG, but was not able to fit everything back in the 16oz bottle, may be my illusion but SDG seems to have expanded)
    3. Is it good for Vata dosha?
    4. Does it help cure warts?

Hi, congrats on your experiment.
      1. There is no rule that 100 times washing should be done on same day. You can take a few days time. Each day, after you are done, make sure to drain out entire water from ghee.
      2. Shata Dhauta ghrita really expands (takes in a few water molecules into it.). But you cannot heat it.
      3. It is good for Vata Dosha. Yes.
      4. Warts – Not likely.

23. Shraddha says:

Hi dr.

I am 24 yr old, having Acne-Rosacea since a year, my face skin had become patchy red, rashes, white heads, boils, and Flaky and dry. can I apply this ghee over my face before bedtime? And while preparing this ghee, If i can use rose water instead of tap water/filtered water then how much should be the ghee and rose water ratio?

Hi, you can use rose water to prepare this ghee to apply over the acne.
      Rose water needs to be added in equal quantity (or at least half the quantity), each time, while washing. At least wash it for 10 times.
      I also suggest to add a teaspoon of turmeric powder and neem powders to it (say, 250 grams of ghee), while preparing.

24. Joyce Mulera says:

Hello Doctor,
    I have just bought clarified cow ghee organic . Can I wash this product 100 times ? Thanks
    Joyce

25. Hello Sir.. Greetings of the day.. I have made kumkumadi tailam at home and have been using from december 2013 once a day on whole body as I have many new and old stretch marks on my body due to weight loss. I have sensitive skin. It reduces dryness and rashes to some extent. My skin tone has lighten up. Using sesame seed oil is safe in summers? Can i use ghee or coconut oil inside of sesame seed oil as carrier oil in kumkumadi tailam preparation?

Hi, using sesame oil for skin to make the oil and using during summer is fine. I do not see a need to mix ghee or coconut oil to the mix.

26. Hello Doctor,

Firstly, I appreciate your sincere efforts in answering all the queries you are getting; thanks so much.
    Now, my husband has ‘Acne Rosacea’ on his face. In regard to that i want to ask you the following questions; kindly clarify please:
    1. Can apply ghee on his face to reduce the skin problem?
    2. Is it mandatory that I churn the ghee with water or I can use it directly?
    3. Can I apply it on his face all through the day or does it have to be only once or twice a day?

Vidya

Hi, for acne rosacea, you can just make a mix of fresh cow ghee – 50 ml with a teaspoon of each of turmeric and neem powders and apply. No need of adding water and churning.
      Better to apply twice a day, because you are adding turmeric (stains easily).

27. Hello Dr I have acne prone skin can I use the washed ghee as a daily moisturiser?

Write your opinion about this article