How To Eat Amla Fruit And Amla Powder Based On Your Body Type And Needs? [Video]

Amla powder is a best herb for rejuvenation in Ayurveda. It is a major ingredient in Chyawanprash. Here are many suggestions on how to eat Amla, based on your body type, Dosha imbalance and health conditions.

How To Eat Amla fruit? - If fresh Amla fruit is available, then you can eat it as such, or make salads, chutney, pickle with it to enjoy fresh Amla fruit  in different ways. If fresh amla is not available, then amla powder can be consumed.

How To consume Amla Powder?

If you wish to take Amla, then consuming chyawnaprash is a good way. But for some reason, if you do not like chyawanprash, you can make Amla recipe along with different liquids, based on your body type, body needs, disease conditions and Dosha imbalance.

Amla powder for Vata balance -

If you have Vata imbalance, like joint diseases, gas trouble,  then Amla can be taken along with Sesame oil (gingelly oil). The quantity can be – one teaspoon of amla with two teaspoons of sesame oil. If you do not like the taste of sesame oil, you can make a paste of amla powder and sesame oil and swallow it with hot water.

Amla powder for Pitta balance - If you want to achieve Pitta balance, if you have digestion problems, or some skin related issues like acne, you can have Amla along with ghee (clarified butter). The dose can be – one teaspoon of amla churna with one teaspoon of clarified butter. Follow it up with a glass of hot water.

Another way to take Amla powder for Pitta is to take it along with jaggery. Learn how to do it – Amla Home remedy for Pitta

Amla powder for Kapha balance - For Kapha balance, for diseases like obesity, respiratory diseases etc,  you may have Amla churna along with honey.

If none of these are available, you can simply add amla powder into water and drink it as such.

So in one way or the other, make sure to include some Amla in your diet.

Dr JV Hebbar is an Ayurveda Doctor, Assistant Professor, From Mangalore, India. Click here to consult Dr Hebbar

Comments

1. Rajkumari Arya says:

How to consume amla was a very helpful article. Thank you.

2. How can consume Amla recipe along with different liquids, based on my body type, body needs, disease conditions and Dosha imbalance.. How to find out which form suits to me. Some opines that diabetic people should not use chywanaprasa., which type of consumption is advocated for diabetics ?

It is better to avoid Chyawanprash in diabetess (however, it is ok to take just a half a teaspoon in the morning).
      If you are confused about how to take it, simply have it with a little water.

3. Amit Mendirtta says:

Hello, thanks for the article. I have a lot of acidity and am obese. I have started taking amla juice as the winter is setting in for more Vitamin C. By tests, I find that I have a kapha-pitta prakriti. Should I have amla juiceempty stomach or during the day.

Dear sir, If the amla juice is prepared by heating amla, then it loses vitamin c as vitamin c is very heat sensitive. But the juice will have all the other benefits of amla, like anti oxindants, rejuvenation, gastric calming effect etc. For you, it will be ideal to take the amla juice before food with a little honey.

4. Aman Singh says:

Hi…right now am taking 1 teaspoon of amla powder with a glass of water every night before going to bed. Will it help in curing premature greyed hairs/hair fall control/digestion problems???

Yes. It will help in all the three conditions, if taken over a period of 4 months. Make sure to use Bhringamalaka taila as hair oil.
      If digestion problem persists, consider visiting an Ayurveda doctor in person.

• Aman Singh says:

Sir,

Is there any side effect of using Bhringamalaka taila?
        Can you please suggest me any good/effective and easily available manufacturer of it?
        How long should I use it? And how (I mean how to use it, how to apply it)?
        Can I use it without any doctor’s advice?
        Other then it, as per your suggestion I’ll continue eating 1 spoon of amla powder with a glass of water before going to bed in night for 4 months.

Thanks a lot for your frequent replies!!! :)

Regards,

There are no side effects for Bhringamalaka taila.
          Many companies manufacture it. AVP, AVN, Kottakkal, etc.
          You can permanently substitute your hair oil with it.
          Simply use it as you use your hair oil.
          Yes, you can use it without a doctor’s prescription.

5. Dear Sir,

Our family is consuming fresh Amla juice along with turmeric powder in empty stomach every morning. If we consumed for a long time,will it have any side effects?

No side effects with Amla and turmeric. (Assuming that Amla juice is freshly made, and not bought readymade from market). In fact it will keep your family away from diabetes, allergies and body stress. Both are a rich source of anti oxidants.

6. I take a teaspoon of amla powder with warm water immediately after dinner. Is it ok or does it have any side effects??
    Also, for digestion problem, can i consume amla powder in the morning with warm water

Yes it is fine. Taking amla powder before food with water is a good idea, both in morning and evening. This will be very beneficial for digestion problems.

7. I eat one fresh amla in morning…then how benifit it is for health or hair falling….

Fresh amla is one of the richest source of Vitamin C, along with other umpteen phyto-nutrients.

8. helo sir..my mom is a diabetic patient. is there any harm being a diabetic patient? and how can she have amla? will it reduce her blood sugar?

Being diabetic is not harmful. Regular exercise, strict diet schedule can help in keep the blood sugar levels under control. She can have amla powder or amla pickle as part of diet. This helps in providing anti oxidant supply. But for stricter blood sugar control, take her to doctor for further advice. regards

9. I have vata-pitta body constitution. How and when to take amla? Also tell me in which season/month I should avoid it?

People with Vata and Pitta body types can also take Amla powder with ghee. Since Ghee has both Vata and Pitta balancing qualities.
      It can be taken summer and rainy season.

10. Neelibhringaadi Taila or Brigamalakai Taila which one is better for premature grey hair? regular intake of amla powder will cure premature grey?? any side effect for long time use of ready made amla powder?

Both the oils are equally effective.
      Amla powder is good for long term use. It is one of the prime herbs of Ayurveda. It has got no side effects.

11. Will drinking amla powder with normal water every morning be okay for a 14 year old girl?

12. Hello sir,
    I’m taking amla powder with water every morning without fail since last 6 months. I’m feeling quite energetic and experincing better digestive system. Is it ok for taking amla powder with water for entire life? Someone told me that amla powder should be taken with something like honey and Everyday consumption of amla powder with only water can lead to reduction in semen because of its astringent test. According to ayuevedic book its strength boosting. I’m confuse but still I’m continue with my daily routine and didn’t stop taking amla. So does it got any side effects?
    Please guide me. I was thin and had hair fall. Now after 6 months I’m experiencing new hair growth and energetic. I want to contine with amla so if you can suggest any other way of taking it I will follow it religiously.

Thank you.

Amla can be taken for as long as you like. With water is just fine. Please go ahead and enjoy the benefits of Amla. I have not read any rules that Amla should only be taken with honey, for long term use. With whatever you are comfortable, just have it and enjoy. Make sure that the quality of Amla is good. Regards

I will continue amla powder with water in the morning before food.

13. My daughter has very less hairs.she is 2 years old now.Somebody suggests me to give her amla powder.will it help her?Can I give her amla powder with honey?Please suggest.

Yes you can give her. No problem. Make sure that both honey and Amla are from a very reliable source.

14. We have started taking 1/2 tablespoon amla powder every night after meals. what would be the most beneficial way to take it.

See, Amla fruit / fruit powder is coolant in nature.
      dinner time is cool part of the day.
      Soon after food intake Kapha will be dominant. (another coolant factor).
      So, all these will result in imparting more coolant properties to your body, which is undesirable.

I suggest you to take Amla powder, in the morning or afternoon, before food.

15. hello sir i am a kapha pitta dominant person….i have learnt that sour foods vitates kapha and pitta…. so i am really afraid to consume amla juice….what is ur advice for me..

16. dear sir,
    i am having acidity problem…now daily i am taking one raw amla fruit daily after breakfast….does taking raw fruit daily for a long time like this have any side effects?

17. Sir,
    I had been taking chavanaprasa for 5 years. I checked my blood sugar before 1 year and it was 190 after meals. I began to take some herbs and the sugar level reduced to 100. I stopped the herbs before 1 month and in today!s test it again 180. Is amla Powder effective in reducing the sugar level .( I have kept some dried amla fruits) I am 60 years now.

Managing diabetes with medicines require continuous blood check ups. It should always be done under medical supervision. Please consult an Ayurvedic doctor in person.

18. Dear Sir.. I’m suffering from Irritable bowel syndrome.. my friend suggested to take Amla powder+Ghee+ followed by hot water. Will it be helpful? Please advise.

19. sandeep kumar says:

sir please tell me how to eat these Ayurvedic medicine (B.P.N) 1. amala churn 2. trifala churn (B.P.N) 3. amalki rasayan B.R) 4. saptamrit lauh (R.T.S) 5. muktashakti bhasma (R.T) 6.mukta pishti (A.S.S) sir please tell me how to eat and benefits and dosage

I presume this is advised by Ayurvedic doctor. please follow the doctor’s advice. I do not recommend self prescription of medicines.

20. Dear Sir,
    I am taking a one fresh amla every day for the past 1 year. I have put on weight in this period. I haven’t not changed my food style and doing regular exercise also. But still I couldn’t control weight increase. Can this be amla effect, pls suggest.

Though Amla is nutrition-rich, usually it is not attributed with weight gain effect.
      Age, level and extent of physical work, eating habits, mental mood, (stress / happiness) etc contribute to weight gain. Consider re-analysis for one more time.

21. Hello Doctor,
    Thanks for your immediate reply. I am clear on my doubt on Amla I used to eat two oranges and one apply per day. I read in one site, that orange contains more sugar. So this can cause of weight gain.

22. Hello Doctor,

I am 27 year old male. My chest hair are going grey. Please suggest something to stop them & for reversing this process also. Can amla be helpful in this?

Amla or Chyawanprash can be of some use to you. Consult your Ayurvedic doctor for a detailed health check up.

23. Hello Doctor,
    Do amla candy and murrabba has same benefits as amla powder? Can I take them empty stomach in the morning with luke warm honey-lemon water? Or what is the best time to take it? kinldy suggest
    Regards

Puneet

I assume that Amla candy is Amla + sugar. Murabba is also made with amla fruits dipped in sugar syrup. So, I think they both should be similar. Morning or afternoon, one hour before food is the best time to take it. You can take it with honey-lemon water.

24. thanks a lot doc..
    regards

puneet

25. hi doc, how should a cancer patient include amla in his diet,in what form? will it be beneficial to have it in murabba form?

For a cancer patient, the best way to take it along with amla powder with honey. Murabba might be the wrong way to take it in cancer.

26. Hello Doc,
    I get canker soars in my mouth, when I eat Amla. Is there any remedy for this?

Amla is a coolant, and hence might not cause canker sores. It may be that you are using a very old Amla powder. Once the jar is opened, better to use it within 2-3 months. Check once with your doctor regarding you overall health.

27. Hi Sir ,

1.I quit the smoking habit, whenever I am feeling i use Amla Vathal (Dry Amla Pieces) in Office and Traveling to office or Home , its very useful and to avoid the smoking habit .can continue this please suggest .
    2. my family daily morning taking one teaspoon of Amla powder with a glass of warm water before breakfast can continue this please suggest.
    3.My Daughter 4 years old daily giving Amla powder one teaspoon with warm water every morning before breakfast. some time we have added one pinch of Aavaram Flower powder with Amla powder .
    can we continue this or any other best way please suggest .

Thanks and Regards
    Sathish.R

Hi Sir, Many congratultaions on your success to quit smoking and having Amla instead. It is a good habit. No issues.
      2. No problem.
      3. apparently no problem with it as well.

28. Hi I would like to take amla daily because I have a lot of stretch marks. I found this is because of vitamin c deficiency. But i’m not able to eat it raw. is there a way to eat amla daily without reducing the full uses of it and still not raw? and pls tell me whether you know any way to remove the stretch marks. I’m losing confidence in me becoz of this.

Amla – best way to consume other than raw, is to make pickles from it and use it in diet.
      Or else, you can get Amla dry powder and use it as mentioned above.
      If, during pregnancy, plain sesame oil is applied over lower abdomen, there will be no stretch mark at all.
      Once they come, they are hard to go. Better to consult an Ayurvedic doctor, directly.

29. hello doctor,i m having severe hair fall….I have started eating 1 amla daily in morning empty stomach….should I eat more than one amla……plzz suggest in which form consuming amla wil be beneficial for reducing hair loss

I would suggest you to consult an Ayurvedic doctor for complete treatment.
      Eating Amla is of course beneficial to stop hairfall. Eating one per day is good.
      You can have fresh or dry powder. Fresh amla is better than powder.

30. hello DOc,
    from where/manufacturer i can get a good quality of amla powder, right now i bought a Baba Ramdev’s amla podwer from the market is it good?

Amla powder is quite easily available in any Ayurvedic medical shop. Since it is a very simple product, there is usually lesser chance of adulteration. Baba Ramdev’s products are generally good.

31. Hello doctor,
    I have 50% premature graying of hair.I am taking one amla in morning before breakfast and 1 spoon of chyavanaprasam after dinner.(chyavanaprasam as per doctor’s advise).

1.How long should i continue this?
    2.is it enough to stop and cure premature graying or should i take any other medicines?

You may continue the prescribed medicine as long as the doctor has advised. Both the above two are quite safe for long term use.
      If your doctor has decided so, I too believe that this might be sufficient.
      Ask for suitable hair oil, or some hair treatment, which might quicken the process of improving the hair quality and colour.
      Wish you good health.

32. I have prepared a juice of Amla and stored in the fridge and consume 3 tablespoons with pepper . Is this firn

Yes it is fine.
      But, refrigeration of food articles is generally considered as not a good habit in Ayurveda. It increases Kapha and decreases digestion power, if used for long period of time.
      My suggestion would be,
      1 Not to refrigerate the amla juice for more than 3 days.
      2. Not to drink this type of juice for more than a week or two.
      3. Once you prepare it, if you add sugar / jaggery then it can naturally have a shelf life of a few days, without any altering of taste or composition.

Hope the points are clear.

33. Thanks for the reply doctor.
    My friends are saying that the white hair falls when the scalp gets its strength. Is it true sir?

The colour of hair depends on overall nourishment of the body, health of the scalp and hereditary factors.

• Dr Sir,
      one of my friend aged 24 years is asking for cure of white beard on face ….out of black hairs of face(beard) he is having 4-5 hairs white
      he was asking will rubbing amla on the face and having amla powder twice a day will turn black beard to white at this age…

Rubbing amla on the face won’t help. But having amla powder twice a day would help. Please note that white hair has other causes like digestive enzymes, liver health, body nutrition level, hereditary, smoking / alcohol etc.
        It is best to consult an Ayurvedic doctor for detailed analysis and treatment.

34. Sir, as amla has many vitamins and minerals… do we lose any of them when we refrigerate for a few days? how many days can i store in the fridge without losing any of the vitamins???…

Also.. i like to eat amla stored in salt n turmeric for few days… is it good for health?

1. Chemically speaking, Amla will not lose its vitamins and minerals, if we refrigerate. But from an Ayurvedic perspective, hot water and cold water have different effects on health, though both are just H2O. Like, in fever, it is good to drink luke warm water, rather than cold water, because it helps to avoid cold and improves digestion. Similarly, from an Ayurveda perspective, the food that are stored in refrigerator tends to have Kapha increasing qualities.
      Ideally, it is not healthy to refrigerate amla for more than 5 – 7 days.

2. Amla and turmeric, is a very good and healthy combination. In fact, this combination is used in Ayurvedic treatment of pre-diabetes. Storing in salt would increase the shelf life. So, I do not see any problem doing like that, provided you are not having high BP. (where salt intake is restricted).

35. Sir,
    Applying kadukkai and karusalanganni along with amla powder would turn hair black again?

Though can not be said with guarantee, there are some chances. Some oral medicines would also help. Consult an Ayurvedic doctor.

36. for skin disease which one is best 1. Amla powder,2. Amla juice. 3. Amla murraba

If those thee are just the option, then I have to pick Amla powder. But lot of it depends on many factors like patients Dosha imbalance, extent, severity and type of skin diseases and so on.

37. can we take Amla powder during winters? I heard that since it cools the body it may cause cold and cough? pls reply

If you wish to avoid Amla, then you can avoid during winter.
      But as a daily dose, if you wish to continue, you can add a little honey OR hot water and have it.
      Coolant property will be nullified by honey OR hot water.
      Hope I answered your query.

38. sir i have acne problem , i want to know just that amla powder is gud for acne skin?

Amla powder is good for Acne. But there are better Ayurvedic medicines and creams. Consult an Ayurvedic doctor.

39. thnxs but sir can u give me a ayurvedica treatment. (home remedies

40. Very Good Post Doctor! Can you tell me that does eating Amla ka murrabba help to get rid of white hair? If yes, if taking it will increase my weight?

Thanks. Amla Murabba does help to treat white hairs. It increases weight in deed, since it is made in sugar base.

41. Dear Doctor,
    I wish u a very happy new year. I used to take amla murabba along with luke warm honey lemon water, Can i also add two three figs with it? Kindly suggest.

Regards

42. i am a woman of 4o years having pitta kappha nature. whenever i eat raw amla with food in lunch or dinner i got constipation ,i want to reduce my weight from 90 to downward please suggest me how to use raw amla in my routine.

If you want to enjoy fresh Amla for its weight loss benefits, you can make Amla pickles with pepper, ginger, sesame seeds etc and use it.
      It is better to use Triphala powder is more apt a medicine for you than Amla, for you weight loss purpose.

43. Dear sir,
    Is there any restriction regarding how many amla can be taken to make to juice at a time
    in other words, at a time what quantity of amla can be taken ,,, if the juice is prepared through a mixer will it affect the vitamin c in the amla

Since Amla is a food ingredient, there is no upper limit. When I get Amla, I usually eat 3 – 4 at once.Generally the same amount of Amla can be used at a time.
      Grinding it would not affect its Vitamin C level.

44. I have PANCRIATITICS,can amla help me sir

45. dear sir,
    i have amla trees in coimbatore, Tamilnadu. i want to sell it in preoper place i couldn’t find any proper merchant over here, plz let me know the proper place to sell it, u can call me at any time -9965552136, sivakumar

Contact Ayurvedic pharmacies and Ayurvedic doctors near you. Dried fruit has large market place than fresh fruits. You can also sell fresh fruits in the super markets and bazaars near you. Also contact some pickle makers, who might make Amla pickles.

46. Dear Doctor,
    Does Amla in powder form retain it’s vitamin C content?
    Can it be taken daily before food..I am taking it with honey in the morning before food..
    My mother is telling me to boil the amla and take it… Can you please let me know which is better- Boiled amla or amla powder??
    Thanks in advance!!

Amla in powder form has only traces of Vitamin C. But it contains other phyto-nutrients of Amla in abundance.
      It can be taken before food with honey.
      Between Amla powder and boiled amla, the choice depends on the need. But to a small extent, powder is slightly better than boiled version.

47. Hello Doctor,

Taking raw amla is good for health?

48. Dear Sir,
    Is amla powder is good for acidity? What is the best time to take amla powder?
    Pls advise me the homemade recipe of dry amla powder.
    thanks.

Amla powder is coolant, very rich in anti oxidants, hence it is good for acidity. For acidity, best way to consume – one teaspoon of Amla powder with 2 grams of jaggery before food two times a day.

49. Sebastiano says:

Dr. Jabbar, excuse me if the answer of my yesterday post on this page is due by payment. I read it later, and it is still not clear if payment is due only by email consultation. Regards. Sebastiano.

Dear Sebastiano,
      I have answered your question by email. Since it is not a very personal question about your health, and since it is quite a general inquiry about products, no need for fees. :)

50. hi,
    can we have frozen amla available in market instead of fresh one or amla powder ..which one would be best to take daily…will this help for hair to thicken?and reduce heat in the body.

51. Wow…this has been very enlightening. i bought a few fresh fruits of amla rightaway, mixed in a grinder, and am hvng it in a glass of warm water, lemon and honey as I write.

if i make this a daily morning habit..it shd work on overall health, i hope? Thnx Doc.

For acne scars, i have to rub d ground paste on face right?

1. yes
      2. yes again. Use rose water / Kumkumadi taila to make the paste. to apply to skin. You can also add a small pinch of turmeric

52. A relative once recommended to me to take dry amla powder with cold milk in the morning on empty stomach to get rid of pimples/acne. It worked wonders for me. However, I’d like to be sure that this combination of amla with milk is not contraindicated in Ayurveda.

Hi, as per Ayurveda, sour things are usually not administered along with milk. Based on that, I can not approve of taking Amla with milk.

53. Hello Dr., I work in software field. I have dark circles. Will amla be beneficial for dark circles? if yes, can you please mention the methods to use amla to remove dark circles?

Amla is of limited use in dark circle. Regular consumption of Amla powder / fruit would provide you with good amount of anti oxidants, which might help in relieving dark circle. Try putting Cucumber slice / Cotton, dipped in rose water over the closed eyes, while you are resting.

54. Hello Sir, as i was in search of amla.my qrery is i don’t no about my Dosha,n i’m taking 8 to 10 glass of warm water…{16 glass water + 8 grams amla powder on flame untill reduce up to 8 to 10} everyday with this method,as per friend suggested is it ok …if not then plz help me out…thank u…

Hi, I do not feel any harm in your way of consuming Amla – water. Keep going.
      Make sure to boil it in medium flame.

55. Thank u Sir, as i have 1 more query. can i take water with the same procedure but instead of Amla. Methidaana(fenugreek seeds),Ajwain,n Dill seeds..if yes then how much quantity seprately we can consume in water plz reply…n how to find r body Dosha…..

1. You can take Methidana, Ajwain and Dill seeds – together in half a teaspoon quantity with water for a period of 1 – 2 months.
      2. Body type is known by observing the body features which suggest towards influence of Doshas. If you read my ebook – Tridosha – Basic Principle of Ayurveda, you will get a good idea.

• Bhavika says:

Thank u,Sir for ur help. thank u very much by heart, ur posts n related query i like it all the way,U help to all……:)thank uu

56. Is amla murraba beneficial in arthritis and thyroid?

It is more useful as a source of anti oxidant. It rejuvenates body tissues. Hence it is helpful in osteo arthritis.
      It is also somewhat helpful in thyroid issues.

57. S Goyal says:

Sir, I have tried consuming 2 teaspoon amla powder in one glass of water in the mornings. After three days I felt that my voice was becoming a bit hoarse and throat felt a bit scratchy, so I discontinued. After a few days I retried the same thing and got the same result. A month later I tried taking one teaspoon of Chyawanprash in the mornings and after 3-4 days same thing happened to my voice/throat so I discontinued. Could you please tell me what am I doing wrong? I want to benefit from Amla’s great properties but don’t know how.

Dear Mr Goyal, I think the problem lies with the quality of Amla powder. Try changing the brand. Or try Amla capsules.

58. sir,plz tell me the right time to take amla powder if fresh amla not available .. for hairs problem..

Hi, a teaspoon of it, once in the morning, after food with water looks fine.

• Hello Sir ,
        why you mentioned after food with water here ?? everywhere else you mentioned 1 hour before food ..

Hi, I presume, you are asking about Amla Chatpata might have some spices. so taking it before food may cause problems to people with sensitive stomach.
          If it is pure Amla, then before food is good. Hope I am clear.

• Hi , I was asking about amla powder . In reply to above post about amla powder you said after food.
            But Yes I got the point :)

Sorry for the confusion. There is no harm in taking it on empty stomach.

59. Hello Doctor,
    How long does it take to prevent hair fall and regrowth? I am consuming amala powder empty stomach in the morning from last 4 months. Before I used to take murrabba. So its almost 6-7 month of consuming amala. However, i do not see any regrowth of hair. Please suggest.

Puneet

Hi, if the cause is hereditary, then nothing big can be promised.
      Please consult an Ayurveda doctor. You might need iron supplement and some good hair oil as well.

60. Sarindra Malini says:

Dear Sir,

Please advise the instruction to use Amla Churna (B.P.N) powder for short sighted vision (myopia).

61. becruiser says:

hello doctor …
    Maha Brigamalakai Taila for hair care is the same one as Maha Bhringraj Tail which we get in west/north india ?

62. pradeep singh says:

Dear doctor ,
    this was a very informative article as i was researching about amla as well as it’s application in eyesight and control of vata dosh. I regularly have two tablespoons of olive oil fist thing in the morning as i find it controls my LDL. I have now started having amla powder also alongwith the olive oil. Could you pl advice me if it is okay and also if it would control my vata dosh

regards
    pradeep

63. Hello Doc!

I gone through your valuable comments about amla and it was very interesting and your reply is very useful. My request is i am taking ” Natures Best” Amla Juice manufactured by Unati Co-Operative cum marketing society ltd, punjab. Its a 500ml qty and buying it from MEDPLUS shop. I used take 30ml with a glass of water every morning . Kindly advice can i take regularly in this way or can i take amla powder which is available in Brown Tree shops. Requesting your valuable feedback please.

Hi Sundar,
      For a short period of time, for 2 – 3 months, it is quite fine to take the Amla juice. For a long run, I would vote for home made amla pickles / amla churna (powder) or fresh amla.

• Hello Doc!

Thanks for your kind advice, kindly advice me were to get the fresh amla powder or fresh amla in chennai sir please. I am feeling more better after taking amla jucie regularly and dont want to miss this good nutrition at any cost. One more request is on taking Amla juice @ regular intervals will have any side effects in future . Looking for your kind advice please Doc!!!

64. Dr. Madhu jain says:

Is it ok to take amla capsules? Will it have the same nutritional benefits as powder or fresh?

Yes. Amla capsule will have almost similar effects to its powder. However fresh amla will have more Vitamin C than dry powder / capsule.

65. Whether drinking amla before dinner lead to hair fall?

66. Hi!

You told heat will reduce Vitamin C in Amla. As I find it tough to eat raw amla, I boil it a bit to soften it and make a juice. Does this also bring down Vitamin C from Amla?

67. Hello doctor , I like your article . I want to ask you that I just started amla juice from 3 weeks and I feel drowsy ! I live in canada and now is winter time so could you guide me how and when I should take juice ? Thanks !

Dear Vaibhavi,
      Because amla has coolant effect and it is winter there in Canada, it might be causing drowsiness. However, I have never heard of drowsiness side effect with Amla usage. Consider adding a little cinnamon / cumin / pepper powder to the juice. This may balance the cooling effect. Hope it helps.

68. Rohit Bhalla says:

Sir,
    I take little amla powder with honey and half lemon juice mixed in warm water in the morning and amla powder along with half lemon juice mixed in warm water in the night, Is it a good dosage? What benefits does it provide?

I do not find any problem with your method. It helps to balance Kapha predominantly. Cleanses the channels, reduces phlegm, soothes mucous membrane etc.

69. Hi doctor,

I am suffering from constipation for last 5 years.Sometimes a fissures is developed and it bleeds.Will taking amla murraba or amla juice or amla powder help ?
    If yes, how much amount of amla can I take daily ?

Hi, if you can consult an Ayurveda doctor directly, there are better medicines to treat fissures than Amla Murabba / Amla powder. Of course it helps, but not as a standalone medicine.
      1 – 3 teaspoons of Amla powder,in divided doses can be taken per day.

70. Dear Sir,
    I have acne skin problem with greying of hairs. I m taking 2 fresh amlas with honey in the morning . Is it fine to balance pitta dosha in this way or how can i use amla.

Hi, For balancing Pitta Dosha, Amla is to be taken along with ghee / jaggery.

• Dear Sir,
        Thanks for your reply . As Jan is the season for amla fruit . can i cut 2 fresh amlas and add one tsp of ghee ,followed by 1 glass of hot water and take it for pitta dosha in the morning (as you have mentioned amla powder, i was thinking to take fresh amla fruit due to its season in Jan). kindly guide me.

71. Hi Sir,

I have pitta dominant body (acne & skin problem). I am taking amla candy (4 pieces) in the morning and evening in empty stomach. Will it help in balancing pitta dosha as things processed with sugar increases pitta dosha (read somewhere)
    Kindly help.

Dear Pramod, Sugar does not increase Pitta. Amla candy will surely help in balancing Pitta. You may continue.

• Perhaps refined (white?) sugar must be reduced/avoided, but raw unprocessed sugar is okay…

I honestly do not know how unrefined sugar is manufactured, for now. Will try to do a research work on this. But unrefined sugar which comes in big granules / candy form that is available in market, red / white in colour is the one to go for. They say, red one is better than the white one. Red is costlier than the white.

72. akshay sharma says:

i am underweight, but i want to consume amla? how can i take it?

73. Hi Sir

Can I consume Amla power with lukewarm water daily in empty stomach. I take it for constipation. Please suggest.

Divya

74. akshay sharma says:

sir please tell me that if i take amla and gioy capsules to enhance my immunity, is there any risk? should i take it together or first take amla capsule after breakfast and then take giloy capsule after lunch?

Dear Akshay Sharma, You need to consult an Ayurveda doctor for the decision of taking Giloy with Amla and its dose.

75. akshay sharma says:

hello sir, i am underweight, you have advised me to take 1tsp of amla powder with ghee. sir please suggest some other alternative other than ghee and honey with amla powder, so that my weight is not further reduced and thereby increasing my immunity?

76. it is a wonderful artical thank u doctor thank u so much

77. akshay sharma says:

sir if we take amla in the form of pickle will it give all the benefits of amla?

78. Tallat Afzal says:

Dear Sir, my son is having grey hair problem at the age of 28 .How can i help him as I.m going to Canada in few days .I live in Pakistan where amla fresh and dried form is available .I will be thankful if you suggest any remedy

79. visualcpp says:

Dear Sir,
    Am a Kapha type person. Allergic to citrus fruits. Particularly lemon, pumpkin, snake guard etc. Am afraid of taking raw amla as it could bring heavy cold. At present am tying to use boiled Amla kept in Honey (ready made from shop) with one slice of Ginger in Honey (ready made from shop). Is it ok or can I try something else?

Hi, boiled amla, kept in honey, with ginger+honey is a good combination to avoid cold effect. Please continue.

80. Sir, what are the best brands for Amla powder and Amla Capsules?
    And among Amla Powder and Amla Capsules, what should be preferred?

Hi, Amla powder is better than capsule. Since Amla powder is not costly, it is not adulterated (most of the times). Hence, any brand should be good.

81. Sir, you gave a comparative analysis between TRIFALA and CHYAWANPRASH. Can you please give a similar comparison between TRIPHALA POWDER and AMLA POWDER?

82. how can amla powder help in improving bowel habits(gas troubles & acidity) & weight loss??

Amla controls hyperacidity and eases bowel movements. More often, Amla, in the form of Triphala (along with other two ingredients, is used to ease bowel movement).
      It also helps in correction of fat metabolism, leading to weight loss.

83. Neha Oberoi says:

hello sir.this article is very useful

84. Goutham says:

Hello sir.
    My stomach produces lot of gas post meals and feel bloated.
    Does amla has any solution to my problem.
    Thanks in advance.

85. Tajinder says:

Awesome

I drink amla juice before sleeping is this helpful
    Can I add honey

86. Dear Hebber, thanks for the excellent article, last 15 days I am taking 1 raw amla after my breakfast, lunch and dinner, is it advisable, i am getting some results and energy. i play football in morning hours daily. can i continue this as a regularly !

87. I get severe headache across temples with burning sensation. Can’t handle loud noises also. My dominant dosha is pitta. Doctor says this headache is also bcoz of increased pitta. What do U think? Can I take amla juice in morning with water or amla candy? Plz advice ?

Write your opinion about this article