Dandronil

Avipattikar Churna – Benefits, Ingredients, Dose, Side Effects – An Ayurvedic Medicine For Constipation

Avipattikar Churna is an Ayurvedic product usually used in the treatment of constipation. Avipattikar churna is a herbal powder mix. It is one of the very effective medicines of Ayurveda.

Avipattikar churna benefits –
Amlapittam nihanti aashu – It helps to relieve gastritis very quickly.
Vibandham malamootrayoho – It helps to relieve constipation and difficulty in urination.
Agnimandya – it helps to relieve indigestion.
Prameha – it is used in treating diseases of urinary system.
Durnama nashanam – It is used even in chronic conditions.

In clinical practice, it is widely used in liver disorders and alcoholism.

Avipattikar Choorna ingredients –
10 grams of each of
Trikatu – pepper, long pepper and ginger
Triphala –
Haritaki – Chebulic Myrobalan fruit rind – Terminalia chebula
Vibhitaki – Belliric Myrobalan fruit rind – Terminalia bellirica
Amalaki – Indian gooseberry fruit – Emblica officinalis Gaertn.
Musta – Nut grass (root) – Cyperus rotundus
Vida Lavana – Vida salt
Vidanga – False black pepper – Embelia ribes
Ela – Cardamom – Elettaria cardamomum
Patra – Cinnamomum tamala

Lavanga – Clove – Syzigium aromaticum – 110 grams
Trivrit – Operculina turpethum – 440 grams
Sharkara – Sugar – 660 grams

Dose: 1 – 5  grams. Suggested to be taken at the starting of meals and in between meals.

Avipattikara Choornam side effects –
In a few, it may cause diarrhoea, watery stools, abdominal pain and dehydration.
Since sugar is added, this product is not recommended for diabetic people.

People with diabetes, hypertension, sensitive stomach, ulcerative colitis, diarrhoea, should exercise caution while taking Avipattikar Choorna.

It is not advisable for pregnant ladies and for children below 12 years, unless a doctor prescribes it.

What to do when diarrhea starts?
Drink plenty of water.
Call your doctor.

Reference:
Bhaishajya Ratnavali Amlapitta Chikitsa 25-29

Companies that manufacture This product are many like – Dabur, Baidyanath, Swadeshi, Baba Ramdev (Divya Avipapttikar Churna) etc.

Original Ayurveda text book reference of this formula –

avipattikar churna – reference

Use of Avipattikar Churan in Prameha:
“Pramehan vimshatin chaiva sarva durnamanashanam”

Hi, 20 types of Prameha is a group of urinary tract disorders. Apana Vata is mainly vitiated in them.
Triphala best anti oxidant combination.
Musta – one of the most commonly used herbs in urinary tract disorders
Vidanga – useful anti-microbial herb
Ela, Patra – relieve pain and inflammation
Lavanga – anti oxidant
So, all the ingredients are directly or indirectly useful in urinary tract health. Hence, useful in Prameha.
Also, in any condition, including Prameha, where Nitya Virechana (Daily detox / daily purgation) is required, 5 – 10 grams of Avipattikar Churna is administered, as it is mild, usually does not cause twitching abdominal pain and is easier to consume.
However, if the patient is diabetic and has uncontrolled blood sugar levels, better to avoid this product, due to sugar ingredient.

Dr JV Hebbar B.A.M.S, MD (Ayu), is an Ayurveda Doctor. Click here to consult Dr Hebbar

Comments

1. manish mehta says:

Myquestion is to doctor that major ayurveda doctor says that taking avipattikar is free of any side effect it can be taken without any harm but u have mentioned some of its side effects. i am confused?

In people with sensitive stomach, or for people with high tendency for lose motion, Avipattikara Churna causes diarrhoea.
      For most of other people, who do not have any sensitive stomach issue, in normal dose, it does not cause any such side effects.
      People with diabetes need to consult their doctor before taking this medicine, as it contains sugar as an ingredient.
      Hope it is clear now?

• I ask you Dr.Hebber , knowing well my high blood sugar 200 f 400 pp , my ayurvedah Dr.has given me this product , so he must have thought this small quantity of sugar must be safe but why don’t you elliminate the sugar from the recipe as it is no bitter or use steviah powder instead .I SHALL WAIT FOR YOUR REPLY

Dear Mr Khan, with such a high level of sugar, it is not safe to use this product.
          It contains sugar by design, as found in traditional formula of this medicine. Sugar in this product helps to calm Pitta, one of the purposes of this medicine.

• Dr.Vishwanath Dixit says:

Namaste Dear Dr, In the phalashruthi of this yoga ,we come across the mention of “Pramehan vimshatin chaiva sarva durnamanashanam”…what has to be the interpretation based on this?

Regards,
        Dr.Dixit

Triphala best anti oxidant combination.
          Musta – one of the most commonly used herbs in urinary tract disorders
          Vidanga – useful anti-microbial herb
          Ela, Patra – relieve pain and inflammation
          Lavanga – anti oxidant

2. dr. my some hair is white , so i uses this , it good to reduced to pitta

There are medicines and treatments for white hair problem. This medicine alone might not help. Please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

3. Does this aggravate Pitta like Trikatu does? Or is it safe to take when there is Pitta excess in the body?

Also, in which cases should it be taken before meals and during meals respectively?

Because it contains a good amount of sugar, the Pitta increasing effect of other herbs get nullified.
      If it is administered to treat diseases related to large intestines, it is usually advised after food. If it is for diseases of stomach, duodenum and small intestine, usually it is given before food.

4. jamal mezogi says:

Dr Any treatmet for deudenal ulcer as Auruveda products…

Ayurveda products, at the best may help in controlling the symptoms of duodenal ulcers. Healing of ulcers – it happens, but can not be blindly promised.

5. do this avipattikar helps in sinus?

6. Ayurvadic treatment of irritable bowl syndrome

7. Ajay Jain says:

If one wishes to prepare Avipattikar choorna at home what is the procedural ingredients?

The ingredients listed above are the ingredients of Avipattikar Churna.
      Just make the fine powder of all the ingredients and mix well. The Churna is ready to use.

8. For normal acidity/hyperacidity and pitta related problems, when should it be taken, before meals or after meals or just when retiring to bed?

9. Is there a big difference if it is taken before or after meal?

There is no very big difference. If a person has sensitive stomach, then it is better to take after food.

10. Hi! I am having peptic ulcer and was treated for that. But now I am having severe acidity I took avipattikar churna for 3 days. my acidity is reduced but my mouth taste has changed.

Hi, change in mouth taste is temporary. I suggest you to continue it for 3 more weeks. Hope by that time, this issue will also be resolved.

11. very infirmative. i hav hyper acidity & constipation. can this cure my problem? how long can i take it. rekha

Hi, you can try with one teaspoon at night, after food, for a week. If there is progress, you can continue. (Please consult a doctor if you are pregnant or lactating mother).

12. then what ayurveda medicine will be best in hyperacidity and vomiting for people with sensitive stomach and hypertension as I got encounter with dehydration and exceed of hypertension after taking this medicine , I feel relief from hyperacidity but other side effects appears

You will need to consult an Ayurveda doctor for detailed examination, analysis and treatment.

• mandeep singh says:

Then told me a better ayurveda doctor near by me google search shows some but i am not sure they are geniune like you so pls do it for me my address is vpo-kharindwa,tehsil-shahabad,distt-kurukshetra,state-haryana ,zip-136135

13. raghunath s.v says:

It is quite informative and your responses to the queries are also helpful.

14. This churna tastes very bitter, can this be taken along with honey?

15. Hi Doctor,

I was taking Omeprazole and Dexilant for acidity for about 8 months and they have caused my extemely painful hyper acidity (heartburn all the time) after quitting. I order this churna today. Will this help?

Please advise

Hi Tara, This Churna alone might not help to full extent. Why don’t you consult an Ayurveda doctor directly?

16. Great guidance!

I’ve been suffering from flatulence (main problem), bloating, rigid kind of feeling, sometimes I feel like I’m carrying a rock in place of my stomach.

Q) Is Avapattikar + honey, two times a day before lunch and supper going to help me? Should I follow any other variation of taking it?

Another tip I’ve heard from a friend was to chew dry-roasted cumin.

Q) Please could you confirm whether should I roast them fresh every time or can I roast a small cup and keep them for a week/fortnight?
    Could you suggest the right and intended way of taking this medicine?

The information found in one of your other articles were VERY useful. For example, I’ve been practicing no water before & after meals, using black pepper in the food.

This is just great stuff and available to everyone. Thank you very much!

Dear Kumar,
      Avipattikar Churna is a good remedy for bloating. But in a few, it may cause loose stools. Hence you need to consult a doctor directly for the advice.
      You can roast half a cup of cumin seeds and use the same for a period of 3 – 4 days.
      Thanks for finding my articles useful. 🙂

17. dr shraddha says:

article is very informative,
    how to correct PCOD with c/o menorhagia ( irregular cycle and continue menstrual bleeding for 1 month )

18. Hi, Can this avipattikar be used instead of bile salts, prescribed for insufficiency of bile?

19. Is Avipattikar Choorna better or Hingwashtak Choorna better for Gas, indigestion and acidity ?

20. Dear Doctor,

I am 62, I have been taking Avipattikar Churna 2 times daily for a month now and feeling better. Is there anything wrong in continuing this intake on regular basis?

pls. respond.

21. hi Doctor.:/ is there any medicine for unwanted excessive body hair? I have dense body hair with each root having around two or three hair. I shall be really thankful for the help

22. Hi Doctor,
    Will Avipattikar churna treat GERD? If not, kindly suggest any good treatment

It helps in relieving bloating, vomiting sensation and gas build up. Although, a cure with it cannot be promised.

23. Please could you please indicate how Avipattikar churna should be taken as it is in powder form? Should it be mixed with water or taken as is?

It can be taken into mouth as it is and swallowed with water. This is the standard method of taking any herbal powder when it is advised to be taken with water. For convenience, it can be mixed with water and drunk as well.
      If it is with honey, usually it is made into a pill / paste with honey and consumed, followed with a cup of water.

24. Hi Doctor,
    I am 30 yrs old. since 3-4yrs, i have skin scales issue(ichthyosis vulgaris). I heard there is no medicine for this disease. Can you please let me know if this can be treated by ayurveda. If yes, what are the medicines and how long will it take for curing.

Thanks!

25. Hi Doctor, I am having GERD and IBS , Can i still use this Avipatikar churan

26. Does it cure IBS

27. sir,
    i am having three stents . two heart attacks . allec asthma and bronchial astham
    can u suggest a doctor in vizag, ap or medicine

28. I having heartburn,stomach burning and indigestion for last 3 years. Can I try avipattikar churna?How long do I need to take this? How to take this avipattikar churna and when?

• Dr Malini Bhat says:

Yes you can try Avipattikar Churna. The dosage being 3 grams and the adjuvant Coconut water after meals 2 times a day. Should be taken atleast for 2 weeks to prevent reoccurence. The maximum dosage should not exceed above 10 grams a day.

Please do avoid if you get Abdominal pain and suffer from Diabetes.

29. sir,plz.suggest best ayurvedic remedy for gastritis and poor digestion.

30. Dr Malini Bhat says:

Dear Sir, We do not know what the doctors of Patanjali prescribe for Stomach ulcers because it varies from each individual and the severity of the ulcer. Would advise you to contact them directly.

31. Siddharth says:

Sir,
    I’m taking this churna from 3 months now along with other medicines s suggested by my ayurveda doctor. I started it because I’d acid production just under my neck. Now my situation is much better but I’m completely well. Can I continue taking it for few more weeks?

• Dr Malini Bhat says:

Sir, As you have not mentioned which other medicines you have been taking for Acid production we wouldnt know if it is suitable for you to continue the medicine. Would advise you to consult your Ayurveda physician for the same.

• Siddharth says:

Hi,
        Along with avipattikar, I’m taking panchaskar churna and liver rakshak syrup. Please advise if its ok to take all of these medicines for few more weeks as I’m not completely well.

Hi, if your doctor has prescribed them to you, please continue them. If you are taking them on your own, please consult nearby Ayurvedic doctor before taking them together.

32. vishwas pednekar says:

Is trifala churna and avipattikar’s benefits are the same?Like trifala avipattikar can be taken daily ?what is avipattikar’s other benefits except relief in digestion?

• Dr Malini Bhat says:

Sir, will lay down the benefits of both here. Hope it will answer your questions.
      Triphala benefits:
      • improves digestion
      • is antioxidant rich
      • improves circulation (cardiotonic and capillary strengthening flavonoids)
      • potentiates adrenergic function (helps the body recover from stress)
      • lowers blood pressure
      • exerts a marked heart-protective and cardio-tonic effect
      • reduces serum cholesterol
      • improves liver function and is liver protective
      • is anti-inflammatory (constituents include Vit. C and quercetin)
      • is expectorant

Avipattikar benefits:
      • Reduces acidity, gastritis,
      • Helps in Loss of appetite
      • It is a Antacid
      • Carminative
      • Digestive stimulant
      • Mild diuretic
      • Neutralises the acid secretion in stomach.
      • It affects the organs of digestive system, urinary system and excretory system.

33. i have mucus colitis problem. I used avipitkari churna. I feel better. Does this churna has any side effects. Can i used in long run?.

34. Hi,

If all the ingredients are heating like trikatu. How does it used for pitta disorders. Does sugar one of the ingredient balance the pitta effect. Also How does this medicine work. Some sites say it removes the pitta from the Stomach and Small Intestine. What does it exactly mean removing the pitta from intestine. Can this medicine completely cure pitta disorders.

• Dr Malini Bhat says:

Hello Sir, Avipattikara Churna helps in reducing the inflammation and re building the mucus lined barrier which becomes weak due to several causes,the digestive juices in the stomach start affecting the stomach lining from which gastritis develops.

35. Sir
    I am having Heart burns after taking food.it was continuing for 4 months.
    I used to take pentacid regularly.
    Can I take choorban?
    If so, the dosage .
    Sunil from Tamil Nadu

• Dr Malini Bhat says:

Hello Sir, You can take this churna. Dosage being: 1 – 5 grams to be taken at the starting of meals and in between meals.

Note: It is dangerous to take this medicine without prescription from an Ayurvedic doctor. Please do consult a ayurvedic physician before taking over the counter medication. Because we all are genetically different with different constitutions and patterns, we respond to treatments in many different ways. Hence Standard Ayurvedic Treatments are always individually formulated. And the dosage is taken into consideration seeing several factors which include the age, sex and health of the individual.

36. dr jp chauhan says:

dear dr yr all article is very importent to know about ayuvedic medicine

37. Thanks doctor. I’ve an unusual (silly) question. I’ve Avipattikar churna but it’s expired. Can I use it as plant fertilizer?

38. Write your opinion/ doubts about the article below. Please do not post your personal health complaints here. If you wish to seek advice from Dr Hebbar, click here