Sitopaladi Churna – Side Effects, Ingredients, benefits, Dose – Ayurvedic medicine for cough

Sitopaladi Churna is one of the very easy-to-make Ayurvedic herbal powder mix. It is one of the best and widely used Ayurvedic medicines for cough, even for kids. Sitopaladi Churna is also known as Sitopaladi Choorna, Sitopaladi Choornam, Sitopaladi Chooran etc.

Sitopaladi Churna ingredients –  Sitopala – Sugar candy powder – 16 parts Vamshalochana (Inner white light part of bamboo tree) – 8 parts Pippali (long pepper) – 4 parts Ela (Cardamom) – 2 parts Twak (Cinnamon) – 1 part.

Sitopaladi Choorna – method of preparation Fine herbal powders of the above herbs are taken in the said proportions mixed thoroughly. Kept in air tight container.

Sitopaladi Churna benefits –  Sitopaladi Churna is an Ayurveda product, used in the treatment of respiratory diseases, cough, burning sensation in palms and feet, low digestion power, loss of sensation in tongue, pain in abdomen, flanks, anorexia, fever, bleeding from nose.

Sitopaladi Choorna dose – usually given in varied dose of 1 – 3 grams two or three times a day, before or after food.
Half a teaspoon of Sitopaladi Churna is given along with half a teaspoon of ghee and a teaspoon of honey. It is even given with anyone of honey and ghee.

Sitopaladi Churna for kids – Sitopaladi Churna is quite safe for kids. But care should be taken. It should be always given after consultation with doctor.

Sitopaladi Churna side effetcs – It is generally devoid of any side effects. But it may worsen gastritis in a few patients, especially if given before food. This herbal powder mix is not ideal for people with diabetes.

Shelf life – If the jar containing powder is not opened, shelf life is 2 years. Once after the seal of the jar is broken and the Churna needs to be finished before two months.

Can Sitopaladi Churna be used continuously for one year?
I do not recommend using it for one year. At least, you will have to give one month gap after every 2-3 months of usage, based on your doctor’s advice. Because of its hot potency, try to avoid it during summer or during those seasons where you have good digestion and respiratory health.

Companies that manufacture  –
Almost all the Ayurvedic companies manufacturing traditional herbal medicines prepare this. Example – AVP, AVN, Kottakkal, Baidyanath, Dabur Sitopaladi Churna.

Reference: Many text books have mentioned this Ayurvedic medicine for cough – Sharangdhara Samhita, Gada Nigraha, Yoga ratnakara, Bhaishajya Ratnavali etc.

Dr JV Hebbar is an Ayurveda Doctor, Assistant Professor, From Mangalore, India. Click here to consult Dr Hebbar

Comments

1. Kunwar Singh says:

Dear Dr Hebbar,

Thank you very much for providing such an informative piece of information about Shitopaladi Churna and I would sincerely appreciate if you could keep posting this kinds of information about other herbal products on a regular basis so that a large number of population can update their knowledge and benefit from switching over to safe and effective herbal medicines than opting for chemical based modern medicines causing side effects.

I look forward to read more about other herbal preparations in powder, tablet, syrup and oil form or else anything you deem informative for us.

Take care and remain blessed with good health!

Best regards,
    Kunwar Singh
    close2health@yahoo.com

Yes sir. Surely. :)

• Anirban says:

Hello Doc,

My kid is 4 yrs old & we stay in Bangalore. As Bangalore is famous for allergic conditions so my kid has continuous cough & cold either because of normal cold or allergic conditions. So what should be the dosage of Sitapaladi & how long it should be continued? Should it also acts as an immunity & should be given continuously for longer duration?

It can be given in quarter a teaspoon with milk or water – 2 times a day after food.
          It also improves immunity. It can be used for upto 2 months time.

2. sir, i have few queries regarding this. Does sitopaladi churna helps removing particularly the ‘phlegm’ from the chest? does it shows any side effects if consumed with honey in summers(coz i know it keeps the body warm) and by a person aged 22yr having a medical history of rheumatoid arthritis? Actually I just wanna be sure about these things before recommending it to a friend.
    thanking you in anticipation :)

It helps to remove phlegm from chest.
      It does not have any significant side effect if taken with honey during summer, by non-diabetic people. It is not very hot in nature.
      It is best to refer your friend to a good Ayurvedic doctor near your place, rather than suggesting him Ayurvedic medicine.

3. Naser Sayed says:

If a two months pregnant woman given sitopladi what will be the harm to baby?

Assuming that the product is genuine, it won’t harm the foetus. It is a very simple combination of herbs. so no issues.

4. Shakti Bibra says:

How do you ensure purity of ingredients in such large supplies and particularly TABASHIR

There are standard set of sampling techniques for each ingredients, which are performed before approval of batch of in-coming herbs.

• Dr Hebbar,

Is there any side effects of Sitopladi wid Honey in early pregnancy. I m suffering from a lot of cold and cough and i am taking its nominal doses twice a day.

The ingredients of Sitopaladi Churna is quite simple and only five. Hence, it can be assumed as generally safe during pregnancy.
          However, it will be best to consult your doctor for any small or big health issues during pregnancy.
          If you’re using Sitopaladi, use it in the minimal dose for very short period of time only (Say, for not more than 5 days).

5. Hi Dr Hebbar,

May i know is Sitopaladi Churna is useful in Laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR),and extraesophageal reflux disease (EERD)problem.

Arun

Yes, it is used, if the patient does not produce gastritis symptoms with the use of this medicine.

6. gastritis symptoms means if you can explain simple and may I know what about zandu vasavaleha. Or please suggest me something else as I have sever dry cough because of Laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR),and extraesophageal reflux disease (EERD)problem. Your help will be really appriciated

7. durgesh says:

sitopaladi jo churna hai kya ye cough ko sukata hai ya bahar nikaalta hai or ye sitopaladi churna kab tak lena chahiya? thanks…

Ye cough ko sukata hai. Isko yadi aapke doctor ne prescribe kiya hai to, 1 – 2 hafte le sakte hai, khaane ke baad, honey ke saath.

• Ideally cough should be thinned and flushed out however with this it is dried….do you feel this is desired out com doc?

8. sitopaladi churna dry the cough or remove the cough?????? how many months we have to take this???????

9. can Shitopaladi Churna given to two month old baby suffering from cold?

10. Is it safe to give sitopaladi churna for a 4 month old baby.

11. Is sitopoladi safe to be given to 14 months old baby? And how much should be given?

Dear Zeenat,
      One pinch along with 1 teaspoon of honey, two times a day, after food is safe.
      It should not be given before food.
      It should be given for more than 3 – 5 days for kids.

12. dr magan says:

if this article is given more importance to doshas then it will be more fruitful…..

13. Hello can it b given to my 4 year old son…….he had recently suffered from pneumonia and still having cough and cold sumtimes……..

It can be given to a four year old. But the dose should not be more than 1 teaspoon epr day.

14. Hi..

Can i give it to my 5 months baby…she has been suffering from cough and hoarse voice..

15. Is it ok to give this churan to a baby alongwith honey? I am wary of honey is there another substitue for honey or can i mix it in some food item like a fruit puree?

Hi, for any medicine to be given to your baby, always consult a doctor in person. Never go with the internet information.
      If not honey, it is also given along with milk / water. It can also be given along with fruit puree.

16. Sir,
    I’m trying to get this medicine in chennai but in most of the shops it is not available, could you pls help me with the medical shop from where i can get sithopaladai churnam

17. I am 2 months pregnant and taking this churna from last 10days. would it be harmful for my baby. I am taking it in night only and less than half atble spoon.Please suggest as i am very tensed.

It would not have caused any harm to you. Nothing to worry. But please consult your gynecologist for any health advice during pregnancy. Do not self medicate.

18. It is beneficial incase of abdomen pains?? Does it improve menses cycle as well??

19. Sir, My baby girl is 8 months old. And she is suffering with cough and respiratory disease. Pls advice me whether i can give Sitopaladi Churna tomy kid or not, if i can then what should be the dose?

20. I am dibetic ,33 years old,I am taking sitopaladi churn from last two days for cough,is it harmful to me”can I take for 5 to 6 days

Please note that it contains sugar candy as ingredient. Hence, it is best to consult your doctor for other medicine options.

21. Hi Sir, I suffer from extreme dust allergy and I can’t avoid the dust as I have to commute via the dusty traffic of Bangalore daily, I heard the above choorna will help in reducing the allergy, is that true?

22. What about Fluvin Capsule, i found it new as they write – It’s the “one stop cure” for the common cold. It is antiviral, anti inflammatory and increases the body’s immunity.

23. khushboo jain says:

Hello,
    Can sitopaladi churna be given to a 2month old baby.
    She has cold an difficulty in breathing during night and specially early morning.
    Will this be safe for her to consume this at this age.?
    And if I can give her then for how many days should I give her.

24. Anshu Prithani says:

Very useful and helpful….thank you

25. Hello sir…I am a 1 month pregnant lady…my age is 28 yes…..is dis churn a is safe for me.?

Better to avoid it. Better to consult your gynaecologist for any medicines that you take.

• Sir, can Sitopaladi Churna been taken by pregnant women?

Hi, better not. In stead, pregnant lady can have simple ginger tea or ginger kashayam ( half a teaspoon of ginger, mixed with two cups of water, boiled and reduced to one cup, taken when warm), not to be re-heated.

26. Dear Doctor,

Thank you for all information provided. This really helps.

I have been taking this churna for past 30 days without consulting any doctor. This has helped me in curing constipation.

Do ou think I can continue taking this everyday for next one year?

Regards,
    Sheldon

I do not recommend using it for one year. At least, you will have to give one month gap after every 3 months of usage.
      Try to avoid it during summer.

27. Sir,

My son is 2 1/2 yrs old, he is suffering from pneomonia, can i give him sitopaladi churna, if yes, please tell how much b te dose and for how many days shall i give it.

For a kid of such tender age with pneumonia, it makes better sense to consult a doctor in person than seeking advice online.

28. Do I require to avoid any food while taking sitopaladi?

29. manish singh says:

Sir mujhe so kar jagne par chhik ati hai aur fever hai aur cough bhi ata hai.sabji chhokane par bahot chhik ati hai aur nose se pani ata hai.mai sitopladi chuurna le skta hu.plz suggest mr.plz

Aap Sitopaladi Churna – half a teaspoon two times, after food, with honey, ek hafte tak le sakte hai.

Write your opinion about this article