Your Child Does Not Eat Well? Causes, Ayurveda Solutions

“My child does not eat well” is quite a common complaint heard everywhere. Not taking sufficient food is a type of common eating disorder in children.  It is called as ‘anorexia’ in medical terms. The problem looks simple, but finding a perfect solution is quite difficult. In extreme cases, the problem may become life threatening with physical and psychological complications.  Let us find out the reasons and solutions if your child does not eat well.  Causes for anorexia in children  –

• Some children are genetically prone to get anorexia.
  • Lack of teaching about eating etiquette
  • Excessive indulgence in one particular type of food
  • Childhood depression
  • Fear towards food are a few causes for anorexia in children.

Symptoms of anorexia in children

• Marked weight loss
  • Inability to gain weight in relation to the age,
  • Intolerance towards cold objects
  • Very low immunity
  • Fatigue, Lethargy
  • Sweating episodes,
  • Stomach discomfort,
  • Amenorrhoea (lack of initiation of periods in young girls)
  • Depression,
  • Hair loss
  • Poor wound healing are a few main symptoms that you can observe in the child.

Mainly the weight loss, not gaining weight according to age, depression, and stomach disturbances are the key symptoms to note.

Techniques to improve eating habits in children –

An Indian custom: In Indian customs, there is a technique to improve digestion power in children.  (click to read).

Indian herbs: Regular usage of very minimal quantity of Indian spices such as pepper, cardamom, cinnamom, ginger stimulates the stomach, intestines and liver to secrete timely digestive enzymes.

Physical activity in children: Moderate phyiscal activities in the form of outdoor games leads to demand for calories, by which makes the child to eat properly.  But excessive physical activity is a known cause for anorexia. So take care.

Depression cure: If the reason for anoerxia is depression or fear, then patients need to observe the child’s behavior to find out the cause and give them a comfortable atmosphere at home and in schools. Expert help in this is highly necessary. The best medicine to cure depression in children is ‘Hobbies

Ghee: In Indian customs,  ghee (clarified butter) is given to the child from a very early age. Ghee not only improves digestion, it also improves the intelligence level, voice tone and skin complexion of the child.  Even children who are allergic to milk can easily tolerate ghee.

Healthy Eating Habits:

• Let the child eat at proper prefixed timings.
  • Avoid junk food, aerated drinks.
  • Once the child has taken meals, then do not give anything to eat at least till next two hours. Maintaining a healthy gap of minimum of 2 hours between food.
  • Identify the healthy foods and tastes liked by the child prepare similar kinds of foods.
  • Include the above mentioned spices in the food. If the child does not like it as such, then they can be mixed into the favorite dishes without the knowledge of child.
  • While the child is eating, turn off the TV or video game.
  • It is a good habit to eat together with the family.

If the cause for anorexia is genetic, then proper treatment will be required.

Home remedies to improve appetite:
1. A small pinch of pepper with ghee after food.
2. A pinch of cumin seeds and As afoetida mixed with buttermilk and given for drinking. Sugar may be added for taste.
3. Ayurvedic medicines such as Aravindasava, Balamritam etc can be administered to the patient, based on your doctor’s advice.

The product links are affiliate. Do not follow given advice, without consulting your doctor.

Comments

1. Thanks for the informative article Dr. Hebbar.

2. Very helpful points

3. Thank you

4. kumar vijay says:

5. My daughter 5 years girl. she is not eating anything only junk food or diary food like bread, croissant and muffin and little chocolate milk. Not eating vegetables, fruits and proper Indian foods like rice and vegetables. After a long time like more than one yr she started with white rice, I mix ghee with rice in the white rice and salt and I started giving. now this is only she is eating. Not touching the vegetables. Please tell me what to do doctor. I m staying in abroad, don’t know what to do. Now its been more than 2 yrs she is like this. Now she is 5 yrs. she is born on 05 Jul 2012. First 2 years she was fine I use to give like baby food. but after 2.5 yrs she started giving trouble and till now she is like this.

I am very much worried with her health. she is too much lean. not very healthy and if I give anything different she started beating me and throwing and closing her mouth.

Please tell me remedy doctor. My name is sunitha.

6. Thank you.

7. lazchumy says:

Hello doctor, my son is now 2years old… Since he reached 1and1/2years he had very poor appetite… Shall I give him pepper with ghee..? How much quantity should I give?

Yes. Just 1 small pinch (500 mg – 1 gram) with a teaspoon of ghee, mixed with food or after food, once per day for a month can be useful.
      Organic pepper powder is available in amazon website here

8. Hello sir
    My son Is 2.5 yrs old but is under weight 8.5 kgs only due to which weak legs and hands holding is not good what to do pls help

Massage the whole body with Ksheerabala taila, everyday, 10 minutes before bath. Available in amazon website here
      Take 50 grams of each of raisins, dates, almonds, cashew anjeer etc.
      Mash them, fry it with 100 grams of ghee, for 5 minutes. Add it to 100-150 grams of jaggery or sugar and a little water. Continue heating till the whole mass becomes semisolid. Give this, half a teaspoon per day.
      For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.
      If you want my help in finding a good Ayurveda doctor for you, then let me know your place.

For email advice (not a reliable option, we do not promise any cure), please write to our health experts here (paid service) – http://easyayurveda.com/consult/

9. मेरा बेटा age 10yrs हें
    बहोत कमजोर और वजन 20kg हें
    हमेशा पैर aur हाथो में दर्द होता हें
    usaka सभावं चिडचड करताहे
    हमेशा सर्दी खासी hoti हें
    दिनमे सिइर्प दो रोटी खाताहे लेकिन मनसे नही खाता
    कोही सुजावं हें
    अर्चना

10. My kid 5 years he is just 13kg he eats well but doesn’t gain well his tummy pain everytime he eat

Hi, Saraswatarishtam – 5 ml mixed with 10 ml water, at night after food can be useful for 2 months time. Available in amazon website here

For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

11. Hi sir my daughter nearly 1 year who not eating properly, and totally stopped drinking milk. I’m in uk.she is very skinny

12. I already tried bonnisan doesn’t make difference anything else can tried

For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

13. ashu saluja says:

My 3 year old daughter does not eat well and has poor digestion. She has frequent problem of loose motion and constipation . what should i do?

The child is too young for online advice.
      For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

14. My 2year old son has a problem for a month ago, and he didn’t eat well, after eating ,he do potty. Kindly guide me.

For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

15. Shilpa says
    my son age 3 And off he is not eat food and 1 Tea spoon rice to mouth 30 Mints he is not eat tell me doctor what can i do

Himalaya Bonnisan syrup – 5 ml in the morning, after food for 1 month can be useful.
      For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

16. Hello sir , my son is 2 year old , he is not eating anything , please suggest

Bonnisan syrup – 3 ml, 2 times a day after food for 1 month can be useful.
      For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.