Rainy season is an important time period to take a special care of your health. While certain types of food are good to have during rainy season, we need to restrict certain food and other habits.
Effect of Dosha on rainy season – Vata increase, Mild Pitta increase.
Body & health condition during rainy season:
Low digestion power
Low immunity and
Low body strength
Rainy Season diet:
Food to have during rainy season:
Old grains, Old rice, Wheat, Barley, soup of pulses, thin supernatant water of curds, grape wine, honey.
Food having (slight) sour, sweet and salty taste.
An Ayurvedic drink made by adding a pinch of salt, pepper, long pepper and ginger is ideal to take . It helps to improve digestion power.
Food to avoid during rainy season:
- Food that causes Vata and Pitta imbalance such as food having bitter, hot and astringent principles, potato, horsegram. Because there is already low digestion strength. Excess intake of these may cause gastritis, bloating etc symptoms.
- Food items that are heavy to digest.
- Frozen food stuff, ice creams.
- Oily food stuff
Health tips for rainy season:
- Because it is not possible for out-door activities, you need to take special care to have indoor physical activities. Don’t let laziness grow on you.
- Foot care for diabetics – Because the feet tend to get wet all the time, it is very important for everybody and especially diabetics to take a special foot care. As and when feet get wet, make sure to dry them immediately.
- Similarly to avoid skin infections and itching, it is ideal to add 1 or 2 spoons of neem oil to half a cup of sesame oil and use this for massage before hot water bath, at least once a week.
- It makes sense to prefer hot water bath to cold water bath during rainy season. It helps to curb Vata.
- Those who are prone to get joint pains and arthritis, better to avoid sitting or lying down on floor. Skin contact with a cold surface will cause tremendous Vata increase, leading to aggravation of pain.
- It is better to wear footwear inside home during rainy season and in winters.
- Cut your nails very regularly. Moisture between them, will invite infection.
- Keep the body covered fully, do not wear sleeveless dress.
- Dry hair as soon as you return home.
- It is not a good idea to sleep soon after afternoon food during rainy season, it worsens indigestion problem.
- Hot water is better than cold water to drink.
- Ayurveda recommends undergoing Panchakarma treatment during rainy season.
- make sure to use footwear with good grip to avoid slip and fall. Consider buying a new footwear.