Cow urine is widely used for many health problems in India since many centuries. Cow is seen as a sign of spirituality and hence cow urine is also used in devotional practices as well. Cow urine comes with a bunch of health benefits. But it is also important to know who can drink cow urine? for how long? who may avoid cow urine, its dosage etc
Benefits of cow urine:
- Hot, pungent, reaches to the deep tissues of the body.
- Increases Vata and Pitta, due to its bitter and pungent principles.
- Improves digestion and intelligence.
- Cow urine is useful in the treatment of abdominal colic pain, bloating, constipation, indigestion.
- Useful in conditions like intestinal worms and skin diseases,
- Useful in obesity, anemia.
- Acts as natural detoxification formula.
- Cow urine is having immense scope of research in areas like cancer.
General qualities of all types of urine, including cow urine:
As per Charaka Samhita Sutrasthana chapter 1 All types of urine have following qualities:
Ushna – hot
Arooksha – not completely dry
Katu – pungent
Lavana – salty taste
Useful in Utsadana and Alepana – external application
Useful in Virechana (Purgation Panchakarma treatment), Asthapana Basti (decoction enema), Svedana (sweating treatment), Useful in
Arsha – Hemorrhoids
Gulma – abdominal tumor, distension
Kushta – skin diseases
Kilasa – type of leprosy
Deepaneeya – improves digestion strength
Vishaghna – anti-poisonous, anti-toxic
Krimighna – useful in intestinal worm infestations
Pandu – Anemia, initial stages of liver disorders
It balances Kapha Dosha.
Cow urine qualities:
Kriminut – useful in intestinal worms
Kushtanut – useful in skin disorders
Kandu Shamana – relieves itching
Udara – useful in ascites
How to take cow urine?
In traditional But to be on the safer time, for all practical purposes, it is better to drink distilled cow urine.
Since boiling is involved, cow urine distillate will be free from microbes.
There are many companies that sell distilled cow urine. But if you can get fresh urine, you can consider preparing the distillate by the following method:
Cow urine is taken in a pressure cooker. the opening at the top, where whistle is to be placed is attached with a heat resistant pipe. the other end of the pipe opens to a clean vessel kept dipped in water. the cow urine in the pressure cooker is heated and the cow urine distillate is collected in the vessel.
The pressure cooker catches the smell of cow urine, and hence can not be used for any other purpose.
The distilled cow urine can be used for 1 – 2 months, if preserved in an air tight container.
Cow urine dose:
For a start, it is better to start with a 3 -4 drops of cow urine one or two times a day.
After a week, the dose can be increased up to one spoon two times a day. While there is no fixed dose as such, I suppose, that is the maximum advisable dose of cow urine (or distillate).
If it is freshly available, then it can be taken as such, within 10 – 15 minutes of collecting it.
Cow urine drink – precautions:
- Cow urine may be infected, in case the cow is infected.
- It is not advisable to store raw cow urine for more than an hour.
- It is better to take the cow urine for the prescribed time period only. For example, if used for indigestion, cow urine should be take only till proper digestion power is restored.
- It can be used for long time of 3 -4 months, in the treatment of obesity, chronic inflammatory conditions etc.
- Cow urine has some benefits for people with diabetes, but it is better to consult Ayurvedic expert.
- People who are very lean, emaciated, tired.
- People suffering from fatigue.
- Children below age of 10.
- People suffering from male infertility.
- People with lack of sleep.
It is used in the purification procedure of Vacha – Acorus calamus.