Cow urine therapy benefits – indication and contra indications

Cow urine is widely used for many health problems in India since many centuries. Cow is seen as a sign of spirituality and hence cow urine is also used in devotional practices as well. Cow urine comes with a bunch of health benefits.  But it is also important to know who can drink cow urine? for how long? who may avoid cow urine, its dosage etc cow
Benefits of cow urine:

• Hot, pungent, reaches to the deep tissues of the body.
  • Increases Vata and Pitta, due to its bitter and pungent principles.
  • Improves digestion and intelligence.
  • Cow urine is useful in the treatment of abdominal colic pain, bloating, constipation, indigestion.
  • Useful in conditions like intestinal worms and skin diseases,
  •  Useful in obesity, anemia.
  • Acts as natural detoxification formula.
  • Cow urine is having immense scope of research in areas like cancer.

General qualities of all types of urine, including cow urine:
As per Charaka Samhita Sutrasthana chapter 1 All types of urine have following qualities:
Ushna – hot
Teekshna  -Piercing
Arooksha – not completely dry
Katu – pungent
Lavana – salty taste
Useful in Utsadana and Alepana – external application
Useful in Virechana (Purgation Panchakarma treatment), Asthapana Basti (decoction enema), Svedana (sweating treatment), Useful in
Arsha – Hemorrhoids
Gulma – abdominal tumor, distension
Kushta – skin diseases
Kilasa – type of leprosy
Deepaneeya – improves digestion strength
Vishaghna – anti-poisonous, anti-toxic
Krimighna – useful in intestinal worm infestations
Pandu – Anemia, initial stages of liver disorders
It balances Kapha Dosha.
Cow urine qualities:
Kriminut – useful in intestinal worms
Kushtanut – useful in skin disorders
Kandu Shamana – relieves itching
Udara – useful in ascites

How to take cow urine?
In traditional But to be on the safer time, for all practical purposes, it is better to drink distilled cow urine.

Since boiling is involved, cow urine distillate will be free from microbes.

There are many companies that sell distilled cow urine. But if you can get fresh urine, you can consider preparing the distillate by the following method:

Cow urine is taken in a pressure cooker. the opening at the top, where whistle is to be placed is attached with a heat resistant pipe. the other end of the pipe opens to a clean vessel kept dipped in water. the cow urine in the pressure cooker is heated and the cow urine distillate is collected in the vessel.

The pressure cooker catches the smell of cow urine, and hence can not be used for any other purpose.

The distilled cow urine can be used for 1 – 2 months, if preserved in an air tight container.

Cow urine dose:
For a start, it is better to start with a 3 -4 drops of cow urine one or two times a day.
After a week, the dose can be increased up to one spoon two times a day. While there is no fixed dose as such, I suppose, that is the maximum advisable dose of cow urine (or distillate).

If it is freshly available, then it can be taken as such, within 10 – 15 minutes of collecting it.

Cow urine drink  – precautions:

• Cow urine may be infected, in case the cow is infected.
  • It is not advisable to store raw cow urine for more than an hour.
  • It is better to take the cow urine for the prescribed time period only.  For example, if  used for indigestion, cow urine should be take only till proper digestion power is restored.
  • It can be used for long time of 3 -4 months, in the treatment of obesity, chronic inflammatory conditions etc.
  • Cow urine has some benefits for people with diabetes, but it is better to consult Ayurvedic expert.
Who should avoid cow urine?
  • People who are very lean, emaciated, tired.
  • People suffering from fatigue.
  • Children below age of 10.
  • People suffering from male infertility.
  • People with lack of sleep.
Remember: cow urine therapy is not nourishing in nature. It is a detoxifying and cleansing in nature. Hence a concept of cow urine tonic is not quite apt.
Ayurvedic medicines with cow urine as an ingredient:
Ayurvedic medicines where cow urine is advised as co drink
Mahayograj Guggul - in the treatment of anemia.
Khadiradi Kashayam – Used to treat worm infestation
kankayan Vati – to treat abdominal lump due to kapha origin.
It is used along with Pathyadi Lepa churna, a herbal powder, to prepare a paste, which is applied externally to relieve skin diseases such as dermatitis.
It is used in the process of making of Loha Bhasma
Dr JV Hebbar is an Ayurveda Doctor, Assistant Professor, From Mangalore, India. Click here to consult Dr Hebbar

Comments

1. Rajesh Sharma says:

I am confused as I have been informed the cows urine assists male fertility but your advice seems to be the contrary. Please advise

Cow urine has got any positive effect on infertility and this is based on Ayurvedic textual reference. Hope it is clear.

2. Dinesh Kumar Shukla says:

I Have Started Godhan Ark since 20 Days & feeling Better.I am Having High Blood Pressure & Diabetes.

3. we are taking cow urine for last 15 days . fresh cow urine is drunk after one hour . is it right way or wrong?

Assuming that cow is not having any disease, it is a good habit.
      Distilled cow urine is safer than raw cow urine.

It is better to limit cow urine intake for a couple of months only.

4. How does cow urine act in the cases of obesity?
    how should the treatment be done?
    does it really help to curve appetite, or to loose weight? what is the mechanism?
    If I live in the usa where can I find it?

Being in USA, it will be very difficult to find out cow urine. It acts by decreasing lipid uptake from the intestines. It breaks down the cholesterol plaques from the tissues and arteries. It helps to lose weight by avoiding cholesterol intake and deposition.

• I have cholesterol high

will it be helpful to reduce the same ?( my age 30 years)

my mother have diabetes and cholesterol and she is at 60 years

how cow urine or ark can be taken to get cured?

Cow urine alone might not be helpful for comprehensive treatment. Please consult a doctor in person for right dose.

• ok but i am already having ayurvedic medicine , cow urine will support in diabetes and cholesterol?

Yes it would. But cow urine therapy does not suit all. Hence you need to exercise precaution. Start with only 2 ml of cow urine in the morning for the first month and observe for results. If you feel excessive body heat, then take a cup of milk, half an hour after taking the distilled Urine.

• ok i m going for cow urine ark..

thanks

5. Please i would like to know the mechanism by which it helps against obesity, and how long does it take to work?

Cow urine as per Ayurveda has a ‘kshara’ quality. Cow urine helps to lower cholesterol deposition in tissues and inside of arteries. It helps to to early disintegration and excretion of lipid molecules. It also avoid excess absorption of fat molecules from intestines. It is always better to consult your Ayurvedic doctor before starting this. Under medical supervision, cow urine can be taken for a couple of months. It should not be continued for more than 4 months, according to me.

6. My father is having High blood pressure and so kidney stone has occurred, can cow milk can help to decrease the stone size? can i get ready made cow urine which will help him?

Hi, it is better to consult an Ayurvedic doctor directly, rather than self medicating with cow urine or any herbs. There are lot many choices of Ayurvedic products for renal stones.

7. Thanks for the wonderful information. Is cow urine helpful in muscular dystrophy? If yes, what should be the dosage?

Like I’ve explained in the article, cow urine is not nourishing. It has this cleansing, clearing properties. Hence its use in muscular dystrophy can be said as very ‘limited’. There are many massage techniques and treatments for muscular dystrophy. Consuting a good Ayurvedic doctor near you seems a good idea.

8. hi
    Can someone suffering from anxiety & insomnia take godhan ark . In what doses should it be taken?

Bye

Yes it can be taken. Dose – initially for a month, just 2 – 5 drops in morning with honey or water.

9. Shobha K Rao says:

My husband (47Yrs) and my self (45Yrs) are reasonably healthy persons. From Udupi Pejavara mutt goshala we got gomuthra arka. We were advised to take it as a general tonic to maintain overall health. Since one year we are consuming it with honey. Shall we continue this or stop it? Please advise.
    Thank u.

If you do not have any side effects like excessive tiredness, fatigue, burning sensation, etc, You can surely continue it. During long term intake of cow urine, I would suggest to avoid it just during hot summer period.

10. jayshankar says:

I was recently diognised with Vitiligo, as a part of my treatment, I have been adviced to take 5ml of Gomutra arca with 15 ml of water first thing in the morning. Please let me know if this is works, based on your experience.
    Thank you.

Yes it works in some people. Please also follow other medicines that the doctor has advised. Start the dose of Gomutra from 1 ml and gradually increase it to 5 ml in about 10 days.

11. P.Vijaykumar Reddy says:

Sir,
    I am staying in uganda,East Africa.sarrounding plenty of cows are moving freely. we have a chance to collect the gomutra. my doubt is Only Indian Gomutra is good for health or all over the world the gomutra is good for health.

Please clarify and advice me.

PVReddy,
    Uganda

Gomutra from healthy cow, naturally fed from whichever part of the world is good. There is no special categorization like Indian cow urine etc.

12. shruti srivastva says:

my nephew suffering from atopic dermatitis since 6 yrs. treatment
    1. english medicine 3yrs then control but leave medicine problem again start.
    2. homeopathic 1yrs no profit

If you wish to consult me via email, please visit this page – http://easyayurveda.com/contact-details/

• i am 40 years old woman suffrering from hypo theroid ihave started taking of cow urine from past fifteen days,please tell me whwther it is hot and is it harmful for woman period cycle?

I am assuming that you are following cow urine therapy only under medical supervision. (highly recommended).
          It is hot. But for a 40 year old lady, it might not affect normal period cycle, if taken for a limited amount of time – of about2 – 3 months.

13. Is there any difference in the medicinal properties of cow/buffalo(male/female) urine?

14. Thank you sir, for the clarification.

• bijumon says:

sir, my wife suffering from late menestral cycle from 2 to 5 months, we have no children till after 7 years marital life, while consuming treatment period is ok, if it is stoped the condition is same. If Gaumutra treatment helps to survive this situation of late period.

You need to consult an ayurvedic doctor, rather than simply betting on Cow urine therapy. There are many factors to be considered. Such as –
        For wife – Examination and scanning to check if she has PCOS, Hormonal assay to know FSH levels, rule out any thyroid problems etc.
        For husband – To do semen analysis and to rule out smoking habit etc.

15. ahmed abdulmalik says:

thanks for your kindness,my dad was diagnous of liver cancer.his eyes are yello,waist pain,and fatigue.can he take cow urine?if no,what do you advice?

Since there seems to be liver pathology, you will need to consult an Ayurvedic doctor, before your dad can take cow urine. The blood, scanning report etc will have to be looked into in detail.

16. Asheesh kumar says:

dear sir,
    i have a doubt regarding this article.
    i am taking it daily for last two years for maintaining a good health. U mentioned that a man suffering from infertility should avoid cow urine. But if a healthy man is taking it, will it have a negative effect on his sexual performance or sexual fertility

Like I said, cow urine therapy can be taken for a period of 2 – 3 months by a healthy person. Over that, it is not good to continue it. It might not affect sexual performance, if it is taken for not more than 2 – 3 months only.

17. i am having problem during sex.my sperms come out in less than five minutes,i want to continue for 1/2 hour,kindly sugeest,i am taking godhan ark for nearly 20 days, i am having two daughters want one male child kindly suggest what to do?

There is no technique that would guarantee a male child. My personal advice is, considering this competitive age and changing times, it is foolish to think that only a male child can do good. But that is just my opinion. But sorry, I am of no use to you, I guess.

18. If you distill cow urine, you will get only water right??
    I did not understand that part.
    I also am not familiar how arka is manufactured. I thought distillates will have only water and no active ingredients(since it is water that mainly evaporates and condenses)

Along with water, whichever the cow urine components that evaporate below 100 degree Celsius will be there in the distillate.

19. Sukhdev says:

Dear Sir,
    I take cow urine daily in the morning on empty stomach. i want to know: 1. which cow’s urine is more best red, black or white? 2. can i take raw urine after 2-3 hours? 3. any book is available about cow urine? 4. what effect on man’s fertility and motility? 5. i have psoriasis, how much time i continue to take cow’s urine?

Thanx n regards.

I do not think there is any difference related with the colour of cow.
      If it is fresh cow urine, better to take it within 5 minutes after collection. If it is left for 2 – 3 hours, it may develop microbes.
      If cow urine therapy is continued beyond 4 -5 months continuously, it might affect semen quality. Hence it is always good to follow cow urine therapy only under medical supervision, for a specific time period only.
      I have not read any book especially written on Cow urine therapy, yet. So, I am not in a position to recommend.

20. Raghavendran says:

Dear Sir,
    I have extra fat muscles all over my stomach. That is people call funnily as tyre. Does gomutra help in supressing this tyre. How long should i take gomutra?

You can consult your Ayurvedic doctor to know more about the fat muscles, that you are referring to.
      Cow urine, in general can be taken for a period of 2 months, under medical supervision.

21. Sidhesh says:

I am 26 years old and not married yet. I take cow urine (distilled one) daily early in the morning 20ml mixing with equal amount of water.
    I just want to know how long i can continue it and what are its benefits and side-effects if taken daily for a life long time?
    If i am continuing it for a long time what quantity i should take???

I suggest you to take it for not more than 3 – 4 months. Avoid it especially in summers.
      I do not think, it can be taken continuously for more than a few months time, whatever might be the dose.

The disadvantages for long term use: It is cleansing in nature. Hence it may hamper the overall nourishment levels of the body.

22. A SHARMA says:

Sir,
    I am suffering from psoriasis all over my body from last 7 year. I intake cow urine from 1 year it work wonder but not cured completely. I want to know that cow urine cure psoriasis completely and how much time needed. I intake cow urine early in the morning empty stomach. Is there any remedy that should be taken alongwith cow urine to cure psoriasis.

Cow urine does help to some extent in psoriasis. But it alone, might not be the solution. You will need to consult an Ayurvedic doctor directly.

23. hello sir my mother is suffering from throat cancer..is it beneficial to give her cow urine therapy…if yes what about dosage…

24. Hello Sir,
    My brother is having Peripheral Artery Disease. (Total blockage near right femoral artery). Under medical supervision he is taking cow urine (since 19 days). The Suggested cow urine quantity is 150 ml every morning. Looking at your previous discussions / answer to queries, this dosage seems too high. I would like to know your views on this.

The dose entirely depends on doctor’s advice and patients tolerance capacity. Your doctor might be right in fixing the dose, specific to your brother. But it is not the regular dose or general dose to follow.
      I recommend anyone who wishes to take cow urine to consult his doctor first and follow doctor’s advice.

• Hi,

I am 26/f married and suffering from liver cirhossis from last 2 years! I was into coma and serious health issues due to it.

I have been told to take cow urine every day but I really want to know how does it work on me?? On my liver? I am very regular with it and I feel great no doubt about it and my skin is totally recovered from all the rashes n scars caused by liver cirhossis.

Plz clear my doubts sir, thanks

Dear Mr Tanu, Cow urine is good for liver, I agree. But since your conditions is a bit serious, I would suggest you to kindly consult an Ayurvedic doctor and take Cow urine or any such medicines under strict medical supervision. Any self medication may prove to be very dangerous. Take Care!

• Thank you for the reply sir. Therefore I would also like to know if cow urine helps in curing thyroid?

See, curing thyroid is a very broad word. I would say that it would help to some extent in thyroid cyst, Multi Nodular Goiter etc conditions. But it may not be so useful as a standalone remedy.

25. kishor ranjan says:

sir
    i am 44 year young mail, weight 84 kg ,i am taking empty stomach 20 ml cow urine with 20 ml warm water from 22 october 2012 can i loose my weight ?

26. Somewhere i have read that , the cows urine contains some hormones also , is it’s true ? if yes, then can you please tell me the specific names of that hormones ?

27. i am 23yr girl ,from last 1o days im taking distilled cow urine and now am i facing constipation and severe urine infection ,is it the side effect of cow urine?

That is why I do not recommend cow urine therapy on one’s own, without consulting an Ayurveda doctor. Please stop taking it and consult a doctor immediately.

28. i am 20 year girland i have dark circles and i am drinking godhan ark from last 4-5 days. so does it helps in removing dark circles

29. Is gomutra beneficial in improving high number of glasses in children? My son is 6 yrs old and has a very high number(-9,-11) please reply.

I can not guarantee that cow urine would help in improving eye sight, in your son’s case. Please take him to an Ayurvedic doctor. There are medicines and techniques that may help. My best wishes to your son.

30. saravanan says:

hi, my father is affected by HCV ciroshiss. is it good to take this cow urine treatment. his liver works just 40%. He is lean & he has asthma. already his stomach is bulged & lost his appetite. please suggest. thanks in advance

Hi, it is best to consult an Ayurveda doctor directly for proper Ayurveda treatment, rather than relying on cow urine therapy.

31. shakti says:

Hello
    Sir
    Cow urine is good for cancer survivals ?
    We are also giving fresh cow milk .
    We have fresh cow urine can we give directly
    or we have distilled before giving cow urine .
    please suggest .

He is a head neck cancer survival .He has completed surgery few weeks back .Waiting for radiation therapy soon it will be start .

Even he is facing too much sore throat problem.

Please guide .

Hi, cow urine does help post cancer, to reduce the chances of further recurrence. But if the patient undergoes radiation therapy etc, and if he is very weak, then chances are there that he will be further weakened with cow urine.
      Fresh cow urine is good, provided the cow is very healthy and if it is not stored for more than 1 – 2 hours.
      Ginger with honey is good for soar throat.

32. Hello Dr. ,

it is only recently that I have found out about gomutra. I have been recommended to use this by my Ayurveda physician as a component in weight loss, I was a little hesitant to go ahead with it when I realized it was cow urine, which makes me a little uneasy. so please let me know:
    1. Isn’t cow urine waste, hence toxic?
    2. Does it work with everyone or is it dependent on metabolism, genes etc?
    3. Is there an alternative to gomutra that can give the same effect?

Thank you for your time.

Hi, if you are very hesitant, then there is no pointing in consuming Gomutra by force. The alternative to it is – Go Arka, a distillate of Gomutra.
      Cow urine contains many Kshara properties (alkaline) hence it is used in Ayurveda for treating many medical conditions.
      It works with everyone. But with some people with pitta body type do not tolerate the hotness of it.
      There are many other alternatives but it needs a doctor’s consultation. A general statement can not be made on this issue.

33. in vitiligo/lucoderma problem can we use cow’s urine ? and if yes then how ? for 9year boy.

34. sir i had a few questions
    ive plantar fasciatis n thus my ayurvedic doctor recommended cows urine for weight loss
    its peak summer now so what quantity should i take
    i tried 2 spoons but that gave a burning sensation for a long time…

Hi, it is not ideal to start cow urine therapy in summer. Please wait for rainy season to begin.
      Please start with 5 drops a day and go ahead with your doctor’s advice. Two spoons a day is huge dose for a start.

35. hi,

Please advise if anxiety & bile reflux can be treated with cow urine
    And how many weeks can this take to get cured?

I am not sure if cow urine is really helpful in anxiety and bile reflux. There are better medicines for these condition. I suggest you to consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

36. Ankur Baruah says:

Can one consume distilled gomutra if he is suffering from uric acid pains??

37. Sir,
    I have started taking cow urine distillate (2 spoons) for 6 days. I keep the unsealed distillate bottle in the room and not in the fridge.Should I keep it in the fridge to avoid bacterial infection?
    2 days ago I noticed lots of small Boils on my hands – arms and forearms. The very next day I also got a sty on my eye. Could these be related to the distillate being infected post opening? I have stopped the urine intake since yesterday.
    Rgds,

Hi, it is a good idea to refrigerate it. Generally, a distillate should not get infected.
      Please see a doctor directly immediately and go with his advice on cow urine intake.
      Drink a cup or two milk per day, if you have burning sensation.

38. Why does Cow Urine intake Make a person weak?
    I am lean why is cow urine not suggested?

39. sir , I am having fat bubbles on my hand and stomach, back side. Now I am using cow disitalles urine . Is it right thing?

There is no clinical data of efficacy of cow urine in lipoma management.

• Hi Dr.JV Hebbar Sir,
        I have sleep disorder how can i get help from cow urine products.will panchagavya gritham or cowurine or cowghee helps me in getting sleep

Hi, cow urine product might not help in sleep disorder. Panchagavya ghrita or cow ghee might help. Try half a teaspoon at 6 pm, followed by a cup of warm water.

40. m suffering for PCOS :-( cow urine is helpfull to cure pcoS ?

41. Doctor.

I am a 32-yr old married male. I am overweight(Height:165 cm, Weight: 85 Kg). I have been taking Godhan Ark (Divya Pharmacy, Ramdev Baba) since the last 3 weeks every morning on an empty stomach with warm water. My purpose is to reduce weight through the Cow Urine therapy, diet control and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. But after reading your thread, I am a little concerned about Gomutra use in summer(it is really hot in this part of India). I have a healthy marital life and planning for a child soon. Although there has not been any miraculous change, but I would take your advise whether to continue or not. Please suggest.

Hi, if you are planning for conception, then it is best to stop godhan ark.
      Rely more upon exercise and diet control to control weight.

42. sreenath says:

Will gomutra cure burning sensetion on the below my feet

43. very informative .thanks

44. Dear Sir I am suffering From Fatty Liver and Hyper thyroid disease.Can i take this and how much doses should i take.

45. Dear Sir, I am trying lose weight. Someone suggest me to take godhan ark. As it is beneficial in weight loss. I have pcod problem doctor strictly instructed to reduce fat with in 3 months. Can I take godhan ark for the same. I have kapha problem.

You can take Godhan Ark for weight loss and also for Kapha balancing. But you will have to consult an Ayurveda doctor before doing that. The dose and time period for which it is to be taken should be decided by a doctor.

46. hello doctor Hebbar. I’m suffering from pinworms since 2 years. I tried every medicines from Albendazole to Vindangaasava, but nothing seems to help. uneasyness due to worms has made me go mad and I’ve got much thinner now due to this problem. Can I use Godhan ark for cure?

47. N K Krishnanand says:

Dear Sir, my wife , age 46, is in unconscious condition since last 75 days. She has a surgery of pituitory tumor & during the surgery hypothalamus got affected & she was brought out in comatose condition from the OT. Please suggest whether Gomutra can help? Pls advise dosage etc.

Write your opinion about this article