There are many diseases explained in Ayurveda, the causes and symptoms of which match exactly with the current day diseases. Rheumatoid arthritis is one such example. Rheumatoid arthritis is a disease mainly affecting joints. Most of the causes and symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis explained match with a disease explained in Ayurveda books.
What is rheumatoid arthritis?
Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic disease, affecting mainly joints having a covering, called synovial joints. Rheumatoid arthritis symptoms include inflammation in the joints, excess synovial fluid, and the development of a flap in the synovium. It often leads to the destruction of cartilage (cushioning) between the joints. Rheumatoid arthritis can also manifest in other parts of the body such as lungs, covering sheet of the heart, covering sheet of lungs, etc. In some cases, it also leads to nodule development underneath the skin.
Rheumatoid Arthritis causes:
Rheumatoid arthritis causes are not known. But immunity plays a major role in its manifestation. There is a condition called as auto immunity.. when immune cells of the body, (which are supposed to protect the body cells and fight against foreign invading bacteria virus etc), start killing our own body cells, rheumatoid arthritis sets in. It is like our soldiers fighting against our own people.
Ayurvedic perspective of causes of rheumatoid arthritis is slightly different. According to Ayurveda, the disease is known in the name of Amavata. The main cause for Amavata is altered state of digestion and metabolism caused by unhealthy food habits when there is diminished digestive power, Doing exercise soon after oily food intake, etc.
Rheumatoid arthritis symptoms:
In the joints:
The inflammation of synovial membrane (covering) of joints .
It usually affects multiple joints.
Stiffness in the joints, especially in the early morning hours is a characteristic feature. The other features in the joints are swelling, pain and warmth, which eventually leads to loss of function and structural deformity of joints. Once the disease progresses, there will be erosion and destruction of the joint surface, leading to deformity.
In some patients, the rheumatoid disease may lead to fibrosis changes in lungs and heart, inflammation in kidneys etc.
Most of the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis match with the symptoms explained in Ayurveda.
Rheumatoid symptoms according to Ayurveda:
- Body ache, lethargy, heaviness
- stiffness in knees, back, finger and toe joints. Joints make crackling sounds, joint pain with swelling.
- The pain in the joints is similar to sting bite by scorpion!!
- Constipation, indigestion, fullness of abdomen,
- lack of sleep, altered sleep patterns, etc.
- Apart from these symptoms, there will be specific symptoms relating to the dominance of Dosha.
- Based on disease manifestation in heart and other organs, specific symptoms like stiffness in heart etc are mentioned.
- There are many diseases explained in Ayurveda, the causes and symptoms of which match exactly with the current day diseases. Rheumatoid arthritis is one such example.
- Rheumatoid arthritis mainly affects joints. stiffness, pain and swelling are the main symptoms.
- Rheumatoid arthritis is an auto immune disease.
- There are different treatment options for rheumatoid arthritis as per Ayurveda.
Ayurvedic treatment of rheumatoid Arthritis includes
- Correction of digestion and metabolism,
- Treatment for joints with Panchakarma therapy and
- Ayurvedic medicines.
This article is meant only for the purpose of information and should not be treated as substitute for advises by healthcare professional.