72890 - june 2013

Sukumaram kashayam – Benefits, Dosage, Ingredients, Side Effects

Sukumaram Kashayam is an Ayurvedic medicine, useful in treating severe pain during menstruation and severe back pain during menstruation. It is also helpful to relieving constipation.

Ingredients –
Eranda – Ricinus communis
Satavari – Asparagus racemosus
Darbha – Desmostachya bipinnata
Kusa – Eragrostis cynosuroides
Sara – Saccharum spontaneum
Kasa – Imperata cylindrical
Ikshumoola – Saccharum officinarum (sugar cane root)
Potagala – Sphearanthus hirtus
Krishna – Piper longum (long pepper)
Krishnamoola – Piper longum (root) (long pepper root)
Yasthimadhu – Glycyrrhiza glabra
Mridweeka – Vitis vinnifera (dry grapes)
Yavani – Cuminum cyminum
Shunti – Zingiber officinale (ginger)

How to make Sukumara kashaya: All the herbs are taken in equal quantities, made into coarse powder, kept immersed in water overnight. next day morning, it is added with 8 parts of water and heated in mild fire, to reduce it to one-fourth quantity. filter it and take it while it is mild hot.

Indications:
Constipation, Severe pain during menstruation, helps to relieve constipation.

What is sukumara kashayam tablet – AVN, an Ayurvedic medicine manufacturing company does convert sukumaram kashayam into tablet form without harming its active ingredients using latest of the technologies of Ayurvedic pharmaceutics. advantage is the consumer will never feel the bad bitter taste, easy for dosage fixing and carrying, and lesser quantity of preservatives added.

Dosage:
Kashayam – 5 ml added with equal parts of water and consumed, before food.

Sukumaram kashayam tablet – two tablets, two times a day, before food.
Reference: Sahasrayoga, Kashaya yoga prakarana

0saves
Dr JV Hebbar is an Ayurveda Doctor, Assistant Professor, From Mangalore, India. Click here to consult Dr Hebbar

Comments

1. dear dr,
    recently a friend of mine was prescribed the following for sudden onset of irregular and scanty menses.
    25gm of black sesame seeds pounded and crushed and boiled in water , reduced to 1/4th and drunk first thing on empty stomach in the morning.
    is this s home remedy or a ayurvedic remedy???
    also what is suvarnamukhadi tablet used for …
    my father aged 73 has been prescribed this??
    regards

• Is Sukumar kashaya required to be taken if already taking Ashokarishta for amenorrhoea that is skanty and delayed menstrual cycles at abot age 28?

• Ashokarishta is actually used as a uterine tonic. But it is traditionally indicated to stop excessive bleeding rather than to treat amenorrhoea (Reference: Bhaishajya ratnavali). Sukumar kashaya is again used in the treatment of pain during menstruation. So the combination is rarely used in the treatment of Amenorrhoea. I suppose, it is better to consult an Ayurvedic doctor for proper medicines rather than self medication. Regards – Dr Hebbar.

2. hi doctor ,

I am having Sukumara Kashayam ( 2 spoon morning & night after food with water )& kumaryasavam ( 1 spoon after dinner without water ) since one month due to severe low back pain during menses.but am having severe pain still.. kindly help me to get rid of the pain…

reply soon..

3. basavaraj h m says:

Can sukumaram Kashayam be used for for the treatment of skin allergy. If not pl. advice treatment for air borne contact dermetitis

• Most of the Ayurvedic medicine usage lncluding Sukumaram kashayam is dependant on how the Ayurvedic doctor uses it to treat a particular condition. Hence, though there is no direct reference of usage of Sukumaram kashayam in the treatment of skin allergy, your doctor might be right in prescribing it to you. It depends on his assessment.

4. Is Sukumaram Kashayam a treatment for PCO?

5. can i use Sukumara Kashayam instead of emergency contraceptive pills or plan b pills qoz its banned where i live .

Sukumara Kashaya does not have a proven contraceptive action. Hence it will be very risky to rely on it for contraception. Condom plus safe period methods are the best and natural methods of contraception.

6. radha narayanan says:

I have been asked to take Sukumara kashaya in morning and asokarishta in night for crampy menses.IS it correct??

7. Please advice me whether it is safe to take sukumaran kashayam while trying to concieve?

8. Thank You Doctor for clearing my doubt.

9. dear sir,
    i have been recomended by friend of mine to take sukumaram kashayam for irregular periods. iam trying to conceive ,is it safe to continue that kashayam during early stage of pregnancy?
    kindly reply soon,its kinda emergency.

I would rather recommend consulting a qualified Ayurvedic doctor than ‘a friend’.
      It is safe to take the kashayam till pregnancy is confirmed.

10. iam having a very long period this mnth more than 20days past 1 week iam taking sukumara kashyam 2times a day.still it is not stopped.

11. I have fundic gastritis A doctor prescribed thikthakam+sukumaram(15ml+30ml warm water)daily at 6Am and 6 Pm before taking food..Since the use of these medicines,I feel more burning sensation,should I stop the medication?what ayurvedhic medicine I should use?please help me

Hi, both are quite good medicines for gastritis. Try taking it 1o minutes after food. If you still continue having burning sensation, contact your doctor.

12. Is Sukumaram kwatham is correct for endometriam polyp. Pls.suggest some gud medication for this.

It is not a very targeted and precise medicine to reduce the size of the polyp. But it is helpful to relieve symptoms associated to polyp such as excessive menstrual bleeding. Please consult an Ayurvedic doctor directly.

13. pls.clarify that the doctor has also advised Varnadi Kwatham and Kaishor Gugglu & Gandhak Rasaynam. Pls.tell me is that useful to treat endomentrial polyp. I had surgery for the same last year and and the polyp re-grown after 1 month. I dont want to go for surgery again so pls. advise some gud medicine for this problem. Also clarify that is that related to cancer at the later stage???

The combination of medicines looks very good for polyp treatment. Polyp will not lead to cancer at a later stage.

• Doctor
        My wife has pcos. She is taking sukumaram tablets twice a day in hot water. Last two months it appears she ovulated and had her period. No other Ayurvedic or western medicine is taken.
        1. Since we are trying to conceive is it safe to take this medicine while we are trying to conceive ? Or do we need to stop during trying to conceive.
        2. Can we stop this medicine after we have detected ovulation till the end of the period or just continue till we detect pregnancy.
        3. Why do people associate contraception with sukumaram kashayam while it it actually used for ovulation?

Lg

It is safe to take Sukumaram kashayam while trying for conception.
          If you have facility to detect ovulation, you can stop soon after detection. You may continue after onset of next menstrual cycle.
          Natural contraception is a hot topic and people are fancying chances with Ayurvedic remedies.
          If you ask me, nothing should be given as just a “chance” medicine, since failure to contraception may lead to serious physical and mental consequences for the couple involved. I am in general, against to oral contraceptives when you have got natural period method and condoms at your disposal.
          To make it clear, for the best of my knowledge, I do not consider Sukumaram kashayam as a contraceptive medicine.

14. Excellent article, I’ve been told to take 1 tsp of this at evening in empty stomach everyday, since i’m suffering with Acute Gastritis however What is the uses of Sudhashekara tablets? A doctor told to take this after food at morning and night.

15. My doctor has prescribed me to sukumaram kwatham tablets 2-0-2 daily for menstrual pain. I want to know how long I can use this tablets and is it a vitamine tablet or pain killer. any side effect is there from these tablets.

It is not a vitamin tablet. It is not a pain killer. But it helps to relieve abdominal pain. This can be used for maximum 2 – 3 months, based on your doctor’s advice.

16. Dr. Abhinay Dogra says:

what is the refrence of sukumar kashayam.There is no direct name description of this name as kashayam.I am searching shasar yogam,but i am not getting it.Please send me page nu. with its other name.I have sahasar yogam of Dr. Ramnivas sharma hindi translation

There is no direct referecne for Sukumaram Kashayam. The decoction used in preparing Sukumaram Ghritha is seperately manufactured and marketed as Kashayam.
      This is similar to Guggulutiktaka Ghrita and Guggulu tiktaka Kashaya.

Write your opinion about this article