kanchnar guggulu – All you want to know about

kanchnar Guggulu is also known as kanchanara Guggulu / gulgulu.It is one of the very efficient Ayurvedic herbal medicine. Its reference is found in Bhaishajya ratnavali, 44th chapter.

Ingredients –
Bauhinia variegata L. (Bark),
Terminalia chebula Retz (Fruit rind),
Terminalia bellerica  (Fruit rind),
Emblica officinalis (Fruit),
Zingiber officinale (Rhizome),
Piper nigrum (Fruit),
Piper longum Linn (Fruit),
Crataeva nurvala (bark),
Elettaria cardamomum (Fruit),
Cinnamomum Zeylanicum (Leaves & Bark)
Commiphora mukul (Guggulu Resin)

Uses: Galagandam jayatyugram apachim arbudaani cha |
grantheen vranaani gulmaashcha kushtani cha bhagandharam ||

Useful in treating goitre (nodules of neck), tumors and extra growths, useful in herbal wound healing, skin diseases, sinuses and fistula.

Dosage: two tablets two to three times a day.

Kanchanara Guggulu side effects:
In people with sensitive stomach, this medicine may cause mild gastric irritation.
It is best avoided in pregnant and lactating mothers.
In children, this medicine should only be given under medical supervision.
Store in a cool dry place. Keep out of reach and sight of children.

Kanchanara Guggulu DS is the double strength version of the same medicine.

Manufacturers: AVN, Alva Pharmacy, Swadeshi Pharmacy

Dr JV Hebbar is an Ayurveda Doctor, Assistant Professor, From Mangalore, India. Click here to consult Dr Hebbar

Comments

1. ArchanaDhanabal says:

I want to know more about this Kanchanara guggulu formulation. Please suggest my request…

2. Does it work on enlarge liver and enlarged prostate. With regards.yous v.p.arya

3. Kriskumar says:

How good is for treatment for enlargeed prostate,what is the % of reducement of the gland.
    tg

• It is used widely in the treatment of enlarged prostate. The percentage wise, it will be difficult to say. Enlarged prostate is usually seen in elders. who require to meet many parameters such as BP control, Diabetes control etc. In such a patient, to keep the enlargement under check, Kanchanara Guggulu is used. If you ask my experience, I would say, 20 % reduction in enlargement can be achieved.

4. Is it also useful for weight loss ?

5. Can it also reduce enlarged uterus?

• No. I do not think that Kanchanara Guggulu alone would be effective enough to reduce the size of uterus.
      Please consult an Ayurveda specialist. A more comprehensive treatment appears required.

6. if one has a small benign cyst, can it help? If so, how long does one have to take it for?

7. Will this be helpful in PCOS ?

8. can it be also used for reducing heavy and long menstrual periods?

9. Can kanchanna gugullu reduce goiter (nodules)

10. Hello Dr.,
    Your replies are quite helpful. Can this be used in treatment of Lipomas and how long one should take to see any difference?
    Thanks in advance.

11. How long will it take to get rid of a goitre nodule 1″ in diamater

very difficult to guess. Some other medicines along with it may be required.

• Currently I’m using kanchnara guggulu 300mg 1 tablet daily for 3 months now after breakfast. I have not seen any dramatic improvements so far. Can you advise how this is to be used for best effect and any other medicines/remedies which will assist the process. Many thanks

The dose you are taking is way too low. For best results, take 2 tablets 2 times a day 10 minutes after food. You may feel a bit of stomach burning sensation. If so, revert back.
          Another reason – may be, your Kanchanara Guggulu might not be of good quality.
          For full analysis and treatment, it will be better if you consult a doctor directly. If you wish to consult me, fill up this form here – http://easyayurveda.com/contact-details

12. does this treat endometrium polyps as well? if so, kindly advise dosage.

13. Dear doctor, this medicine is prescribed against uterine fibroids. But at the same time it may have pro-estrogenic effect. Won’t it make things worse then, because fibroids are caused by excessive estrogen?

14. is this helpful in treating sarcoidosis, if so what dose or in any combination. i am the patient of sarcoidosis stage -1, please answer me, thank you

15. Respected Doctor, I have a question Why expecting moms should not consume Kanchanara Guggulu ?

There is no hard and fast rule like that.
      BUT, Kanchakara Guggulu is something which reduces the size of cyst, nodule etc. so, it is not nourishing in nature, hence, to be on the safer side, it is best to avoid in expecting moms.

• Is it true then that along with any Guggulu based medicine, other tonic (nourishing) medicines must also be taken (to counter the not-nourishing/detoxifying effect of Guggulu? Which of the Guggulu preparations are ‘complete’ i.e. don’t require additional nourishing herbs to be taken? Just looking for a general idea…

It is not true. Only in a very weak patient, when higher dose of guggulu is required to be used, then only it can be said that some nourishing agents like milk can be used as adjuvant. Not in all cases. This rule should also be applied very selectively. For example, in Rheumatoid arthritis case, it is best to avoid milk and go ahead with guggulu tablet alone.

16. CAN KANCHNAR GUGGULU HELPFUL IN TREATING HYDATID CYST (10CM) AND UTERUS FIBORID

Yes, to some extent. But Doctor’s consultation is required. Some more efficient treatment / medicines might also be required. kanchanara Guggulu is surely one of the medicines used in the said conditions.

• Hello Sir, Can Kanchnar guggulu useful in treating benign kidney cyst ?

No. Not very useful.

• Thanks Sir! Can you suggest any remedy for benign kidney cyst apart from Kanchnar Guggulu

Age related benign cysts ate quite common. For others, a detailed case history and consultation is required. However even with Ayurveda, it is quite difficult to treat a cyst.

17. Is kachnar effective in recurrent throat infection and tonsillitis with pus in 8 yrs child

Yes, but as a stand alone medicine, it might not help. Please consult a doctor directly. Do not take chances with your kid’s health with online advice.

18. If yes then in what dosage for 8 yrs old kid in throat infection recurrent

19. is Kanchnar guggul helpful to reduce nerves tumors. neurofibromitosis

20. chunmun says:

Can you please tell the ayurvedic medicines for testicular tumors??

21. Dear SIr i have fistula and recently i traced my diabetes , my age is 34 now i am taking homeopathy , now my lymph node at armpit swelled . since 5 months no growth that can i use kanchanar guggulu , please suggest me

Dear Ramesh, you have multiple complaints to look into. There is underlying infection to be treated. Being diabetes makes infection spread faster and it also delays the healing of fistula. I suggest you to consult your family physician immediately.

22. R.Doctor,
    I am suffering from hypothyroidism since 2010 and taking thyrinorm 25 as adviced by the doctor but my TSH level always remain 6.4, please suggest appropriate dose as well as diet take and not to take.

23. Hello Sir,
    In my physical checkup, I found my cholesterol high – 240 now. and also that I am anemic ferritin level is below <1, so I am also taking iron supplements but can I take kanchnar guggul when I am on Iron supplements? will that interfere with the Iron supplements ?
    Thanks for your time!!

Dear Bhaskar,
      Kanchnar Guggulu will not interfere with absorption of Iron Supplement. In fact, because Kanchnar Guggulu contains Triphala, it helps in easy iron absorption.

24. mehboob says:

Dearpls. tell me dr. does it work in polycystic kidney disease.

Yes it works. But for PCOS, it has to be a combination of Ayurvedic medicine and Panchakarma treatment, rather than a single medicine. Please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly. Regards

25. Can it is helpful in treatment for men boobs or harmonal balance. I hav gout in my chest so it look like brest any treatment for this problem

It might not help in gynaecomastia due to hromonal imbalance. But it is useful in the treatment of gout.

• what are the ayurvedic medicines available to treat gynecomastia?

Hi, it is quite difficult to treat Ayurveda. If there is hormonal imbalance that can be corrected. If the mass is small in size then some exercise and muscle strength which would enhance the bulk of chest muscles and which would help in reducing the fat might help. If you wish to consult me, please click on contact button on top of this page.

26. Hello sir,
    I am suffering from hodgkins lymphoma.
    Will kanchnar guguul be helpful ? Have heard it is useful in cleaning out lymph nodes.

It might help to some extent. But please consult an Ayurveda doctor in person for a detailed checkup and advice.

27. Hello,

I am fighting with an anal fistula and I am taking kanchnar guggulu since like 6 weeks now. I also have quite some big muscle nods and very stiff muscles in general. My question is. For how long does it make sense to take kanchnar guggulu because I feel a positive effect on my issues but its not at the point where I can say that the fistula or the muscle nods are gone. Does it make sense to improve the dose (I am taking 2 tabs 2 times a day)? Are there negative effects from taking too much, like problems with absorption of food? Or should I just stop taking it when i feel that my issues are gone (my sinus is almost completely healed)

Thank you very much, its an awesome product

Hi, you are already on moderate to high dose of Kanchanara Guggulu. I would continue the same dose for another month and then would have reduced it to 3 tabs per day for next 6 weeks. There are no big side effects with this, other than gastric complaints. But I’d best to avoid during pregnancy. The muscle nodes might not go away completely with this.

28. Why we are not suppose to use it during Pregnancy? is it ok to use till the time pregnancy is confirmed?

It can be taken till the pregnancy is confirmed. But once after confirmation, it is better to avoid taking it further. It is used in reducing the size of cyst etc. hence there is an assumption that it may not be ideal for the fetus health.

29. I have glands (lypoma) all over my body..specially on my hands and chest. will kanchnar guggulu help me get rid of lypoma? what is the recommended dose?

Recommended dose is 1 – 2 tablets 2 – 3 times a day.
      However, its efficacy in lipoma management is not very well established.

30. Silambarasan says:

I have N number of small small “Warts” in my face. 1 Ayurveda doctor in Trivandrum prescribed me this Kanchanara Gulgulu Gulika 2-0-2 for 15 days. is it right prescribtion for warts? or Is there any Ayurvedic medicine?

Kanchanara guggulu is one of the medicines used in wart treatment. Please follow your Ayurveda doctor’s advice.

31. Hi Dr.
    May I know how long I should take Kanchnar Gugglu to reduce Hyperthyroidism? How many tablets should I consume in a day to help me reduce my hyperthyroid levels? What other herbal medicines should i take alongside Kanchanar Gugglu to reduce very high Thyroid? Are there any side effects of this herb? What are the chances of Kanchnar Guggulu in treating hyperthroidism? Do you know of any cases where this herb did not work to reduce hyperthyroidism?Thank you.

Kanchanara Guggulu might not be sufficient as a standalone medicine for hyperthyroidism. Please consult an Ayurveda doctor in person.

• Can you use it for hypothyroidism? And do you need to consult doctor before using Ayurvedic medicine?

Hi, This is one of the medicines used in treating Hypothyroidism. But it is not a standalone medicine to treat it. Hence, a doctor’s advice is required.

32. Dr Hebbar, what anupans would you think best with Kanchanar Guggulu Churna and Maha Sudarshan Churna guiding to thyroid?

33. jinitkumar says:

can this drug reduce the cyst in breast?

34. shivakumar says:

sir this is shivakumar how many days has to take kanchanar guggul for hypothyrodism plz ans

Hi, it depends on your doctor’s prescription. I suggest you to consult an Ayurveda doctor for methodical treatment.

35. is there a recomened dosage available for children?

General dose for children of 5 – 8 years – one or two tablets a day, usually after food.
      Dose for 9 years and above – 2 tablets per day.

36. is it useful in pcod n obesity..i have pcod since last 16 yrs n my weight 94 kgs..i m 28yrs,unmarried and have irregular periods…even after taking medicines (Diane) i get period for just 1 day

37. Does Kanchanar guggul produce heat in the body. If yes, then is it good to be consumed during summer? Should one consume something cooling like sabja seeds too during summer?

38. ashish kumar says:

Hi doctor, i am 30 yr old male suffering from acute prostatitis. Does it help in this particular condition ??

39. Can kanchanar gugul help to cure brtholin cyst.ma mother is suffering from reccurance of bartholin cyst.its very painfull.please suggest doctor.

Hi, it may be useful. But cannot expect it to cure the cyst as a stand-alone medicine.

40. N R Abeyasinghe says:

Hi,
    Is there a guggulu named KANCHANADI GUGGULU. It is available in Sri Lanka.
    NR

Hi, it is Kanchanara guggulu. Should be easily available in any Ayurvedic store in Sri Lanka. If not, please contact Mr Veeresh – info@eayur.com He can supply.

41. Mr. mashenene says:

Hi, i need your products, i mean your medicine and i am here at Tanzania, how can i get it?
    please help me

42. slankapa says:

does it work for those with hidradenitis?

43. Medicine for cough release from lungs.

There are lot of options like Agasthya rasayanam, Vasavaleha etc. Please consult an Ayurveda doctor.

44. RAMACHANDRAN says:

Can it be used for treating varicocele ?

45. is vyoshadi gulgulu gulika is reduce lipomo??
    pls help me

46. hello sir i am form Nepal i am suffering form diabetes and enlargement gland i take kanchner gugguu since 70 day now result 85% reduction gland and also normal my diabetes levels thanks Dr

47. urvashi says:

Can kanchar guggulu help to reduce tumuor of retromolar trigone(oral cancer) in last stage????

• urvashi says:

what is the benefit of Kachnar gugglu in respect of oral cancer? I am aware of a patient of oral cancer using this herb as medicine & its effective in his case. Is it related to stages of cancer?

At the best it may help in reducing the cancer growth. This theory is based on its usage in cysts and fibroids. But there is no research data to back it’s usage in cancer.

• Hi

My ayurvedic dr has suggested kachnar guggul along with other medicines for hypothyroidism and infertility.
            I am a female of 30 yrs.
            He has said for maximum effect, chew 2 tablets twice daily after food. I wanted to know whether it is important to chew or can I swallow it with water?
            I chewed it once but I didn’t like the taste at all.

Hi, you can swallow it. There is no special benefit by chewing this tablet.

48. will this help in reducing Piles? I was given ArshKalph and Kanchanar Guggulu together. By reading all the posts, I don’t think Kanchanar Guggulu has any connection with Piles treatment. Please advise. I would better stop a medicine which is not required.

It is not directly indicated in piles treatment. By it would help in improving digestion and to some extent shrinking of piles mass

49. Hi, I have hypothyroid problem and am taking eltroxin 50 mg daily and 100 mg on saturday. I had BP too but have managed to get off allopathic thanks to Carditone. :) I am now looking to do away with eltroxin and rectify my thyroid problem through ayurveda. Will kachnar guggul help?

Please consult an Ayurveda doctor in person. That is the first and best option. If you wish to get my advice, please write here – easyayurveda.com/contact-details

Write your opinion about this article