Suranjana Colchicum luteum is an Ayurvedic plant, used for the treatment of liver and spleen inflammation, skin disorders. Colchicine extracted from this plant is used in modern medicine for the treatment / prevention of gout attacks.
Latin name- Colchicum luteum Baker
Names in different languages:
English name- Colchicum, Meadow saffron
Arabic name- Alhalah, Surinjan
Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati name- Suranjan
Urdu name – Suranjanetalkh
Kashmiri name – Surinjan
Sanskrit Synonyms of Suranjan:
Hiranya tutha, Suranjana, Tutha, Tuthanjana
Morphology of Colchicum luteum:
Colchicum luteum is an annual herb distributed in eastern Asia-china to the Western Himalayas at 4000- 7000 feet altitude. The root is dark brown in color and round in shape. The leaves are 6-12 inch long, 0.5-0.75 inch wide. The flowers are 1-2 in number, about 1 inch in diameter and yellowish colored. The fruits are 0.5-1inch long. The seeds are 2-3 mm in diameter, round to oval in shape, pale white in color and bitter in taste.
Properties of Colchicum luteum:
Rasa (Taste) – Tikta (Bitter), Katu (Pungent)
Guna (Qualities) – Laghu (Light), Ruksha (Dry)
Vipaka – Katu (Undergoes pungent taste after digestion)
Veerya (Potency) – Ushna (Hot)
Karma (Actions) – Kapha vata shamaka (reduces vitiated kapha and vata dosha)
Part used- Root
Powder- 125 to 750 mg
Extract- 60 to 120 g
Chemical composition of Colchicum luteum
The fresh corms and aerial parts of a sample from Jammu yielded 0.94% and 0.7% of total alkaloids, the major being colchicine 0.4% and 0.2% respectively.
Uses of Suranjan:
- The powder of the root is sprinkled over fresh wound for quick healing.
- The paste of the root of Suranjan is mixed with egg yolk and saffron and applied over the joints affected with arthritis.
- The powder of the root of Colchicum luteum is consumed with decoction of other Vata hara herbs to treat diseases like gout, sciatica and arthritic pain.
- The paste of the root of Suranjan is applied over the area affected with skin diseases in small quantity.
- The powder of the root is mixed with hot water in a dose of 500 mg to relieve constipation and improve the appetite.
- In a dosage of about 750 mg the powder of the root of Colchicum luteum improves passage of urine and helps in condition of retention of urine.
- As part of treatment of ascites, the powder of the root of Suranjan is given in a dose of 500 mg with cow urine.
- सुराञ्जनं तु कटुकं तिक्तं वीर्योष्णमेव च।
कफवातहरं रक्तशोधनम् ॥ (द्र.गु.वि)
Adverse effects: If consumed in increased dosage, the herb can cause intoxication along with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Medicines containing Suranjan:
Boswelya plus: It is a proprietary Ayurvedic medicine which is used for musculo-skeletal support in different types of arthritis.
Jivantyadi yamaka: It is a medicine used for the treatment of eczema, psoriasis, contact dermatitis, hives and allergic rashes.
Research articles related to Colchicum luteum:
Treatment for gout: Amongst several useful Unani drugs, Suranjan (Colchicum luteum) is one which is claimed to be effective in this ailment. On an average the oral use of Suranjan showed relief in symptoms in 94.3% of cases in 30 days without any side effect. Our study included 20 cases of chronic gout.
Anti- cancer activity: Colchicine is a secondary metabolite, originally extracted from plants of the genius colchicum. It consists of the dried ripe seeds of Colchicum autumnale Linn. Colchicine effectively functions as a mitotic poison or spindle inhibitor. This review describes all aspects of controlled drug delivery including their different controlled drug delivery (niosomes, proniosomes, liposomes, ethosomes),different compositions, the various methods of preparation, methods of characterization, cytotoxicity analysis (MTT assay) and comparative controlled drug delivery analysis.
Habitat of Colchicum luteum:
Eastern Asia-china to the Western Himalayas at 4000 – 7000 ft altitude.
Author: Dr.BK Prashanth MD (Ayu), Ph.D
E mail: email@example.com
Click to consult Dr Prashanth BK