Article by Dr Raghuram Y.S. MD (Ay) and Dr Manasa, B.A.M.S
Prevention of Varicocele
It is unfortunate that there are no known ways of preventing varicocele. This is because it is not clearly known why it occurs in the first place.
Avoid hot temperatures – Hot temperatures will cause dilatation of veins and hence will worsen the symptoms of varicocele. Therefore avoiding hot weather and hot baths can help to relieve symptoms and possibly prevent further pain.
Healthy lifestyle – Healthy lifestyle and healthy eating habits may help in improving fertility.
Avoid heavy weight lifting – Varicocele can worsen following any activity which increases intra-abdominal pressure like body-building or lifting heavy objects, because these activities increase pressure.
Read related: Varicocele: Causes, Symptoms, Differential diagnosis, Treatment
Avoid exposure to environmental toxins
Maintain healthy body weight – Reduce weight by exercising and inculcating good food and nutrition, include vegetables, fruits and whole food, avoid junks, and address obesity and overweight issues
Keep good postures – Postural imbalances may cause or trigger varicocele, keep good postures at work and also at rest.
Maintain bowel health – seek help for chronic constipation, indigestion, flatulence and bloating
Masturbation – keep away from unhealthy masturbation
Home Remedies and Natural Treatments and Home Remedies for Varicocele
Leave alone – Letting alone the varicocele without meddling into it is a wise choice many times, unless you have severe pain. It heals on its own if the sac is not filled with fluid or if there is no engorged veins to optimum levels. In infants majority of cases correct by themselves and the fluid will be drained in the first year of baby’s life.
Avoid processed foods – Avoid taking low fiber, high processed diet, flour, sugar etc which dry your stools. It results in constipation putting more pressure on the veins. This will worsen the varicocele.
Include Flavonoids – Flavonoids are food for health of blood vessels. They also increase venous tone, strengthen the walls of veins and make them less susceptible for varicocity. Take foods rich in this content like fresh vegetables and fruits.
Whole foods – Have foods having whole grains, fish, poultry, flax seeds, fish oil etc.
Anti-oxidants in diet – berries, Goji berries, peppers, dark leafy greens, herbs like Ginkgo biloba
Avoid – margarine, junk food, animal fats, processed foods, caffeine, hydrogenated oils, sugar, fast foods, alcohol, white flour products
Include – whole grains, fish oil, fish, olive oil, essential fatty acids, flaxseed oil, poultry and fresh fruits and vegetables in the diet
Prefer organic foods
Keep hydrated – drink plenty of foods, particularly water
Vitamins – Vitamin supplements, mainly Vitamin C and E and zinc and bioflavonoid supplements also help
Supportive underwear – use boxer briefs which allow adequate temperature of the testes
Butcher’s broom or Ruscus aculeatus – helps in reducing swelling of vein.
Horse chestnut and bilberry – helps to tone and strengthen the veins
Check Constipation – Avoid or address chronic constipation
Cod Liver Oil
Fix the below said issues to help your varicocele –
- Smoking Cigarettes
- Drinking alcohol
- Coffee and caffeinated drinks
- Overweight / Being obese
- Postural imbalances
- Bowel Health
- Improper underwear
- Weight lifting
- Unhealthy masturbation
- Polystichi Deltodoni – promotes blood circulation, removes blood stagnation, relieves pain and venous weakness
- Wolfiporia – is a type of mushroom, used to treat inflammation and enhance smooth blood flow, useful in those having complications of varicocele
- Persica seed – has oils and fats which help lubricate, moisten intestines and thus reduce unnecessary pressure from male reproductive system and improves circulation of blood
- Peoniae – is useful
- Squama Manitis – It is anti-inflammatory and penetrates all testicular regions to clear all channel of any dilation and subdue swelling. It also has the ability to release muscle layers produced due to pampiniform plexus in the scrotum and resolve varicocele
- Cowcockle Seed – reduces swelling and promotes smooth blood circulation in scrotum
- Ramulus Cinnamomi – improves blood circulation in vessels within male reproductive system, releases muscle stiffness caused by varicocele
- Commiphora – acts like blood moving ingredient, improves blood circulation in testicles
- Frankincense – strengthens the reproductive system
- Frutus Toosendan – helps in soothing chronic pain
- Plantago – is anti-inflammatory, promotes tissue repair, reduces pain and discomfort associated with varicocele
- Horney Goat Weed
- He Shou Wu
- Panax Ginseng
- Tribulus Terrestris
- Dong Quai
- Japanese Teasel Root
- Mixed antioxidant blend and CoQ10 Ubiquinol
Yoga for Varicocele
Benefits of Yoga for Varicocele:
- Improves testicular blood circulation
- Improves posture, muscle balance and alleviates tension
- Treats fertility and virility problems
- Reduces nutcracker syndrome
- Decreases stress and anxiety
- Improves bowel and digestive health
Below said Yoga postures will help in Varicocele
Shavasana (Corpse pose)
Dhanurasana – The Bow pose
Matsyasana – The fish
Padmasana – Lotus pose
Salamba Bhujangasana – Sphinx pose
Ananda Balasana – Happy Baby Pose
Yoga for Varicocele (Morning sequence)
Yoga for Varicocele (Night sequence)
Belly Breathing or Deep breathing – These exercises are very effective for varicocele. It calms mind, reduces stress and improves digestion. The inward and outward motion of the stomach gently massages the digestive and circulatory organs. Massaging the digestive organs helps relieve tension, remove toxins, stimulate bowel movement and reduces inflammation. It also improves the nutcracker effect, improves venous tone, and enhances blood flow.
Click to Consult Dr Raghuram Y.S. MD (Ayu)