Babool Tree Uses, Dose, Side Effects, Ayurvedic Medicines

Babool tree or Babbula – Acacia nilotica Linn.is an ayurvedic herb used in the treatment of skin diseases, dhat syndrome, bleeding disorders and to treat intestinal worms.

Botanical Name- Acacia nilotica Linn. Acacia arabica, Vachellia nilotica
Family- Leguminosae

Names in different languages:
English name – Babul, Indian gum Arabic tree
Hindi name – Babbul, Keekar
Bengali name – Baabla
Kannada name – Jaali Mara
Tamil name- Karuvel
Telugu name – Nallatumma
Babool Tree - Acacia arabica

Babbula is a small tree growing to a height of up to 8-10 m containing small spikes. This tree is found in the dry regions of whole of India.

Sanskrit Synonyms of Babul Tree
Yugmakanta- Two spikes are seen together
Dridaruha- The stem and branches of the plant are strong
Sookshma patra- The leaves are small in appearance
Malaphala- The fruit pods resemble a chain
Kantaki – has spikes,
Sapeetaka, Peetapushpa – yellow flowers
Kashayakaha – natural astringent
Kinkirata

Acacia arabica medicinal Properties:
Rasa (taste) – Kashaya – Astringent
Veerya – Sheeta – Coolant
Guna (qualities) – Guru – Heavy to digest, Rooksha – Dry in nature
Vipaka- Katu – Undergoes pungent taste conversion after digestion
Karma- Kapha Hara – Balances Kapha Dosha.

Babbula plant – part used- Stem bark, fruit, gum, seeds.
The Niryasa (Gum resin) is Pitta- Vatahara (reduces pitta and vata dosha). It helps in reducing the swelling of the uterus.
The stem bark and the pods act against the intestinal worms and help in coagulation of the blood.

Major chemical Constituents:
The bark and pods contains 12-20% of tannin. Several polyphenolic compounds have been reported from the bark and pods of the plant Acacia nilotica. The gum resin of the plant contains galactose, aldobio uronic acid and arabinobioses.  It also contains about 52% of calcium and 20% of magnesium. The flowers contain flavonoids- kaempferol-3-glucoside, iso-quercitrin and leucocyanidin.

Dose:
20-30 g for decoction, 50 – 100 ml of Decoction per day, in divided doses.
3-6 g of seed powder
Acacia gum – 2 – 3 grams per day.

Uses of Acacia nilotica:

• The paste of the bark of the plant Acacia nilotica is applied over oozing eczemas.
  • The powder of the dried leaves is sprinkled over fresh wounds to control bleeding.
  • In case of rectal prolapse, the patient is advised sitz bath over the decoction prepared from the bark of the Indian Babbul plant.
  • The decoction prepared from the bark of the plant Acacia nilotica is used for gargling in the diseases of mouth ulcer and bleeding gums.
  • The paste from the leaves of the plant is applied over wound and injury caused due to contact with fire.
  • The decoction of the plant is given in a dosage of 40-50 ml to treat diarrhea and to treat intestinal worms.
  • The decoction prepared from the pods of the plant Babbul is used to treat excessive bleeding during menstruation.
  • The decoction of the pods and bark, in a dosage of 45-50 ml is given to treat bleeding piles and hemorrhoids.
  • The leaves are crushed – 2 – 3 grams, and consumed along with a teaspoon of sugar, once or two times a day, for the treatment of spermatorrhoea / Dhat syndrome or nightfall.

Babool for arthritis:
Babool gum powder – 3 grams is added to a cup of water, heated for 2 – 3 minutes and consumed once a day. This is useful in relieving arthritis. This can be continued for 1 month time.

Acacia arabica uses
Traditional indications of Babbul plant:
Kaphaja Kasa – cough, cold with sputum and heaviness, due to Kapha Dosha
Ama – A product of indigestion and altered metabolism
Raktatisara – diarrhea with bleeding, as in ulcerative colitis
Pittahara – useful in Pitta imbalance disorders such as gastritis, burning sensation, etc.
Daha –  burning sensation, as in gastritis, neuropathy, burning sensation in eyes etc
Arti – relieves pain
Kushta – skin diseases
Krimi – worm infestation
Visha – Toxic conditions, poisoning
Vrana – Ulcers, wounds
Karnaroga – ear disorders with discharge
Asya roga – mouth ulcers
Nadivrana – sinuses
Sara – induces mobility, causes diarrhea, purgation, relieves constipation

Babbul fruit is –
Rooksha – dryness
Vishada – has clarity
Stambhana – blocks the channel, useful in diarrhea, bleeding disorders
Guru – heavy to digest

Ayurvedic medicines containing Babul tree:
Dasanakanti churnam- It is an herbal toothpowder sued for strengthening of the gums and tooth.
Trayodashang guggulu- It is an ayurvedic tablet used for low back ache, sciatica, arthritic pain, locked jaw.
Pepcer capsule- It is a capsule used to treat peptic ulcer, gastritis, heart burn condition.
Khadiradi gutika- The decoction of babbula plant bark is used in binding the powders used to prepare khadiradi tablet, which is used to treat cough.

Research articles on Babool tree:
Multiple health benefits: Different parts of this plant such as the leaves, roots, seeds, bark, fruits, flowers, gum and immature pods act as anti-cancer, antimutagenic, spasmogenic, vasoconstrictor, anti-pyretic, anti-asthamatic, cytotoxic, anti-diabetic, anti-platelet agregatory, anti-plasmodial, molluscicidal, anti-fungal, inhibitory activity against Hepatitis C virus (HCV) and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-I and antioxidant activities, anti-bacterial, antihypertensive and anti-spasmodic activities, and are also engaged for the treatment of different ailments in the indigenous system of medicine.

Anti-cancer activity: The outcome of the animal study indicates that Acacia nilotica extract could be used as natural anticancer agent for human health.

Anti-microbial and anti oxidant:  The study suggest that the phytochemical properties of the herb possess potential antimicrobial, antioxidant property.

Anti-fungal activity: The bark of the plant showed anti-fungal activity on in vitro study. It proved its action on candida albicans.

Medicinal attributes of Acacia nilotica:

• Antimicrobial activity: O. Solomon-Wisdom et al (2010) has investigated in vitro antimicrobial activity of the crude ethanolic leaf extract of Acacia nilotica Linn. against Campylobacter coli isolated from goats.
  • Anti-bacterial activity: Mahesh et al (2008) has observed antibacterial activity study of methanolic extracts of Acacia nilotica, showed highest antibacterial activity against B. subtilis. and Staphylococcus aureus.
  • Anti- malarial activity: The root extracts of A. nilotica was active against Plasmodium berghei and Plasmodium falciparum in mice (42). In vitro Antimalarial activity against CQ sensitive (3D7) and CQ-resistant (Dd2 and INDO) strains of P. falciparum in culture using the fluorescence-based SYBR. A. nilotica was reported with significant activity and IC50 was found as 13μg/mL.
  • Anti- helminthic activity: In vitro methanolic extract of Acacia nilotica fruit exhibit anthelmintic activity against Haemonchus contortus.

Classical categorization:
Kaiyyadeva Nighantu- Oushadhi varga
Shodala Nighantu- Amradi varga
Bhava Prakasha- Vatadi varga

Side effects:
There are no known side effects with this medicine.
It is best to avoid this herb during constipation.

Author:
Dr.B.K.Prashanth M.D (Ayu), Ph.D | E mail: drprashanthbk@gmail.com

The product links are affiliate. Do not follow given advice, without consulting your doctor.

Comments

1. Dr Any treatment for PSORIASES ?

2. Dr, Press report from Mysore – Star of Mysore – an evening paper 24-11-2016 has reported that Governent of Karnataka has proposed to pass a bill banning planting of Acacia trees, like Eucalyptus etc., based on Forest Department Report based on experts research findings. It is not clear which species of Acacia is being banned. However, Iaccording to ayurveda, if Acacia tree and its parts are useful for treating various ailments, why Ban Acacia? Whereas Tobacco, a known soil depletor, and also kills a person every 7th second due to diseases directly attributable to non-communicable diseases directly attributable to consumption of tobacco products, and known as a soil depletor is not being banned.

Hi, I guess, Acacia species for medicinal usage might not be banned.
      Acacia on road side and in free lands, which was previously thought for being useful to absorb more water and grip the land firmly, is found to be false. Hence, the government order (I guess).

3. Jay Deshpande says:

Dr I heard that Babhul is very effective in arthritis pain and regular use will avoid knee replacement . I am in USA , any medicine of babhul you suggest ?
    My friend is visiting India and can even get it for me .
    Thanks n regards

Hi, I am not sure of it, being so effective to replace knee replacement.
      Please take Trayodashang guggulu tablet – 2 tablets 2 times a day after food for 6 weeks time.
      For further advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.
      For email advice, please write to our health experts here (paid service) – https://easyayurveda.com/consult/

• Babul truly is very effective against arthritis pain. My father had this pain and now his pain is slowly going away. I believe , this is one of the best ayurveda medicine to cure arthritis pain. He is taking seed powder prepared at home with a glass of water very early in the morning with empty stomach.

4. Sonia Sehgal says:

Hello Dr somebody advised me to take babool seed powder for rhemutoid arthritis pain.. And I have received a package from them as well…It’s brownish in color..I have started taking it and got good results..Pls guide is this powder good for me or not…How can I B able to check if there is any steroids in it or not…Pls pls pls guide me…

It is good for arthritis. If you take it to any drug testing lab, they can tell if it contains any steroid.

5. zohra khan says:

Any side effects of taking Trayodashang guggulu tablet – 2 tablets 2 times a day with allopathic medicines.

6. M bhattacharjee says:

Hell dr. I am getting noise in my knees when I bent down and also sometimes from shoulders. Should I start taking babul seed powder

Yes useful.
      For further personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.
      If you want my help in finding a good Ayurveda doctor for you, then let me know your place.

For email advice (not a reliable option, we do not promise any cure), please write to our health expert Prof. Dr Prashanth MD (Ayu), PhD, here (paid service) –

7. Shruti Sud says:

My left knee is quite painful these days. I was advised to eat babool phali powder…. one spoon in the motafter breakfast. I have made the powder myself and started eating it 4-5 days ago. Please advise if it is safe and useful in my knees problem. Also should I take it twice?

8. Rajendra K. says:

Hello Dr. I have been suffering from arthritis and taking shallaki from Himalaya as prescribed by the ayurvedic physicianfor last 6 months. It has given me some relief. Recently I came across lot many articles about effectiveness of Babool on arthritis which would be much cheaper than Shallaki since it is a long term treatment. According to my physician, Shallaki is well researched and proven medicine compared to Babool seeds, pods or gum and hence I should stick to Shallaki. Is this true? Any research results are available on Babool for its effectiveness on arthritis ? Sorry for a lengthy post but according to me our herbal medicines need to be published backed with research results to help the doctors take the informed decision while prescribing to their patients.

Currently I cannot find any article explaining anti arthritic property of Acacia arabica (babool).
      The doctor is correct that Shallaki is more researched than babool.
      having said that, there is no harm in taking 1 gram of babool gum powder mixed with a cup of water, 2 times a day for a month for arthritis.

9. Mahesh vitekar. says:

Dear doctor, can babool help regenerate cartilage in arthritic joints? Regs. Mahesh Vitekar.

10. Hi Doctor,
    I suffering from both type of arthritis of both type RO, OA from last 9 years now the weakness & pain is to much due to which I m unable to walk & even unable to stand without any support. I also have constipation problem kindly suggest which one is better for me Babool or shallaki & the method to take it. Kindly suggest.

Name NIRMla
    Age :- 47

Shallaki capsule – 1 at night after food with water for a month can be useful.

For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

For email advice (not a reliable option, we do not promise any cure), please write to our health experts here (paid service) – https://easyayurveda.com/consult/

11. DEAR DOCTOR,
    CAN WE FRY THE GUM OF THE BABOOL TREE IN GHEE AND TAKE IT FOR ARTHRITIS PAIN- IF SO WHAT IS THE DOSAGE & FOR HOW LONG

12. Shrawan says:

Hello. Dr. Iam suffering from both knee pain & heating the hips& shole. What take of kekar phali powder please advice me.

Hi, sorry that I am unable to understand symptoms or disease.
      For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

13. Sriparna Goswami says:

Dear Dr. I have a tendency for constipation so can I still continue having Babool powder?

In a small dose of just 5 grams per day, it does not cause constipation. If it still causes any constipation, consider mixing equal quantity of Haritaki with Babool powder and consume it – 1 teaspoon 2 times a day.
      Haritaki and Babool are two friendly herbs 🙂 There will not be constipation issue.

Haritaki powder is available for online purchase in amazon website here –

Good quality babool powder is available in amazon website here –

14. Vipin Patil says:

Dear Dr., I started taking babool seed powder since past 4 days for knee pain problem. Since past two days, I am having constipation . It is possible due to babool powder. I wish to continue with the powder. How can I address the constipation issue?

Yes, it could cause constipation. Take it in the half dose, in the morning, after food for 2 months and then stop it.

15. Ravi kumar says:

Sir Babul powder is effective for sexual problem like sexual weakness

16. naveen says:

your website was fabulousy good and also thanks