Shankhapushpi – Convolvulus pluricaulis – Benefits, Dose, Side Effects

Shankhapushpi is a very famous Ayurvedic medicine used to improve memory, intelligence etc. It is also used in other conditions like vomiting and toxic conditions.

Botanical Name- Convolvulus pluricaulis Chois (Convolvulus microphyllus Sied. Ex. Spring)
Family- Convolvulaceae – Trivrit Kula

Vernacular names
Hindi Name- Sankhahul, Shankhahuli
Telugu Name- Sankhapuspi
Marathi Name- Sankhvel
Gujarati Name- Sankhavali
English name – English speedwheel
Urdu name – Sankali

Synonyms –
Shankhava, Shankhapushpi – flower resembles the shape of a conch, white coloured flower, like conch
Ksheerapushpi – has white coloured flower
Mangala Kusuma – auspicious

Different varieties – Sodhala enumerated white and blue flowered varieties of Sankhapuspi. The blue variety is Vishnukarnta(Evolvulus alsinoides Linn.)
Distribution- It is found distributed across India especially in Gujarat, Goa, Rajasthan, Bihar etc

Major chemical constituents
Sankhapushpine, B- sitosterol, Kaempferol, N- hexacosanol, Hydroxy Cinnamic acid,  etc.
(Reference: Illustrated Dravyaguna VIjnana, Vol. II, by Dr JLN Shastry)

Convolvulus pluricaulis Medicinal Properties
Rasa (taste)- Tikta (bitter)
Guna (qualities) – Snigdha (unctuous, oily), Picchila (sticky)
Vipaka-madhura – undergoes sweet taste conversion after digestion
Veerya – Sheeta – coolant in nature. As per Bhavamishra – Ushna (hot potency)
Prabhava – Special effect – Medhya – improves intelligence.
Effect on Tridosha – balances Pitta and Kapha.
Part used- Whole plant, root, seeds, ash (alkali).

Shankhapushpi Dosage-
Paste 1-2 g
water decoction (Kashayam / infusion) – 50-100 ml in divided quantity per day,
Kshara (alkali preparation) 250 mg – 2 g in divided dose per day.
Shankhapushpi capsule – 1 capsule once or twice a day, before or after food as advised by doctor.

Convolvulus pluricaulis benefits

Medhya – Paste of Shankhapushpi improves memory and intelligence
Rasayanam – anti aging, improves life expectancy, longevity
Kasajit – useful in cough, cold
Visha – useful in toxic conditions, natural detoxifier
Apasmara – useful in epilepsy
Unmada, Bhuta – useful in psychiatric disorders
Chardihara – useful in vomiting
Sara – promotes movement of liquids in natural path, useful in constipation
Vrushya – acts as aphrodisiac
Manasarogahrut – useful in mental disorders, depression
Smrutiprada – improves memory. Hence useful in Alzheimer’s disease, dementia and in students seeking memory improvement.
Kantida – improves skin complexion and quality
Balada – improves strength
Agnida – improves digestion strength
Kushta – useful in skin diseases
Krimi – useful in intestinal worm infestation
Anidra – useful in insomnia, induces sleep
It improves hair quality and promotes hair growth
Useful in high BP and hematemesis (blood vomiting)
Because it enhances mood, relieves anxiety and and acts as aphrodisiac, it is quite useful in treating sexual disorders of men.
It has mild diuretic action. Hence used in relieving fluid retention.
It is used in treating migraine and tension headaches
Leaves – are used in treating asthma and bronchitis.
Its leaves and flowers are used in treating high blood pressure.

Shankpuspi for anti ageing purpose:
As per Charaka Samhita Chikitsa Sthana 1.3, regular intake of  2 – 3 grams of paste of Shankhapushpi is explained as an excellent brain tonic and rejuvnator – Medhya Rasayana.

Usage of Shankapuspi in pregnancy, lactation, children-
During pregnancy, take this only if your doctor prescribes, for the prescribed amount of time.
It is quite safe to use in lactating mother.
It is safe to use in children above 3 years of age, in smaller doses.
Research:
Medicinal importance
Experimental study on effect on brain

Shankhapushpi side effects –
Because it decreases blood pressure, people with low BP should exercise precaution.
People on treatment for hypertension should consult their doctor before taking this herb.

Ayurvedic medicine with Shankhapushpi ingredient:
Shankhpushpi oil
Saraswata Choornam
Brahmi Vati
Manasamitra Vatakam
Chopchinyadi Churna

Does Dabur Shankhpushpi helpful in recovering from addiction?
Though it is not directly indicated as a de-addiction medicine. It helps to treat shivering, confusion, memory problems, depression and anxiety that are associated with the process of de-addiction.

The product links are affiliate. Do not follow given advice, without consulting your doctor.

Comments

1. Khalid Lakdawala says:

Which reputed company sells this herb? Any reference?

Hi Khalid, thanks for asking this question. I updated this information in the article.
      Within India, Baidyanath manufactures Shankphapushpi capsule – dose is 1 capsule once or twice a day before or after food or as directed by Ayurvedic doctor.
      Outside India, Gopala Ayurveda sells Shankhapushpi powder.
      Dr Wadke, Nature’s formulary, and Swanson have Shankhapushpi capsule.

2. Dr.can one take both shankphapushpi and ashwagndha capsules

They do not interact in a bad way, so can be taken. They in combination would increase sleep time.

3. Is it ok to take this in capsule form? Reason I’m asking is that you’ve mentioned many a times that it is best to “taste” the medicine as that has important effect on our constitution. If we take the powder, how much should be taken? Also, could you specify which company in India is good for powder form of this herb?

powder dose is – half – 1 gram, once or twice a day, based on doctor’s prescription.
      Irony is, its powder is sold widely outside India. But within India, it is hard to find. Please contact any nearby pharmacy or Alva Pharmacy – alvapharmacy@gmail.com They may help you get the powder.

4. Jyothir says:

Wow, this sounds like a wonder drug with so many uses! Can this be taken as a tonic specially for 40+ people ?

Yes, for a period of 1 – 2 months. The time restriction is because, it is not a good habit to rely on medicine for a long period of time.

5. Anil Talegaonkar says:

Dear Dr : Sankhpushpi is also available in market in syrup form, will this give satisfactory results ? How often it can be taken ?

Though I have not used it in my patients, I have heard very good reviews about it.
      It is a good product. Dose for children – 1 teaspoon at night, after food.
      Dose for adults – 1 – 2 teaspoons once or twice a day, after food.

6. Jorge Enrique Galindo says:

Tengo un hijo con autismo. El está tomando Shankapuspi y Vacha con miel. Es esto bueno para él?

querido Jorge Enrique Galindo, Sí, es bueno para él. Además, mejorará su memoria, la concentración, potencia la comprensión y las habilidades del aparato locomotor.
      También sugiero que incluya un poco de manteca en su dieta. que mejorará aún más el efecto de Shankhapushpi. Sólo la mitad de una cucharilla, junto con su comida (en estado caliente) es bueno tener, todos los días.

7. Dr.local(hubli)ayurvedic shop people are telling that there is no single drug capsule of shankhapushpi.is it true?They are saying that baidyanth has brain tab which has other medicines along with shankhapushpi and also they say that they have shankhapushpi tab of naranarayan co.

8. Can it be taken along with anti hypertensive drugs(allopathy) Is it true that it induces dryness in the mouth if so what can be the reason.

If taken along with antihypertensive drug, the dose needs to be monitored (of the antihypertensive and also of Shankhapushpi) because, Shankhapushpi can lower the BP. I have not come across the dryness of mouth issue with any of my patients using this herb.

9. very very informative. I am already using this item in liquid. Now for the first time I have heard that this is also in capsules available and have noted for procurement. I use this as due to my age I am losing memory. This now I have come to know that it also decreases blood pressure.

10. chandra says:

Hi, how safe is it to take the leaves of shanka pushpi along with brahmin leaves. How many leaves in a day is safe for adolescents and 40 plus. How long can it be taken

Just one leaf of each herb, can be made into a paste with honey and can be had once a day, in the morning, 10 minutes before food.

• chandra says:

Thank you doctor, I was thinking of taking the syrup. but not sure about the duration and doctor can this be taken a year long or for a certain period of time every year

11. Anonymous says:

I bought shankhpushpi syrup of Baidyanath. How much should i take it & how many times ?? should it be taken with water ???

Assuming you are not diabetic and an adult, dose is 2 teaspoon mixed with 2 teaspoons of water, once or twice a day, after food. It can be taken for 2 – 3 months of time.

12. S K Raman says:

Hi,

I bought Dabur Shankh Pushpi Syrup for my children. I have two question on this please suggest me.
    1. My son is 8yrs old and he is a CP(Cerebral Palsy) child. Is this syrup is advisable for him?
    2. My daughter is 10yrs old and she is having urological issue of weaken bladder. She is under treatment for the same. Is she can take this syrup?

Also let me know the dosage can be given.

1. Yes.
      2. Yes.
      But for both kids, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly for dose and duration of syrup intake.

13. very good info. even for normal person.

14. Nagaraj says:

Excellent information you have provided about Shankapushpi. Your suggestions are very useful doctor. You are quoting do’s and don’ts accurately in Ayurvedic medicines. Very valuable guidance indeed.

15. Vimalesh Kumar Bhatia says:

I am a diabetic person, can i take Shankapushpi

16. I have a shankhpushpi plant. What parts of it can I use and how to prepare them?

Root – collect it. Wash it with hot water thoroughly to get rid of mud. dry under shade. powder it.

17. sreenath says:

My brother-in-law is brain operated patient, twice he got operated due to high BP, now he is totally bed ridden, no any body movenment, his hands & legs have become little bit stiff, health wise he is quite normal & eye sight has become little bit dim. Now, we are giving him Shankapushpi syrup of baidyanath, whether this will improve his eye sight & mental distrubance with any improvement in body movements.( like.hands & legs)

Hi, Shankhapushpi alone cannot improve your brother’s condition, though it would improve his memory and concentration and impart other benefits as explained in the article. Please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

18. ankitha says:

im 18 years old . could you suggest me if it is more effective to take tablets or syrup ? nd for how many days should i take ?

19. Dear doctor
    Thanks for giving valuable information to us.
    Sir, my questions are
    1 why shankpushpi duration of intake two month why not more?
    2 what is impact of shankhpushpi and ashwghandha on hair fall.
    Please give me suggestion

• Dr Malini Bhat says:

Dear sir, There is no mention of the duration being 2 months but as we all are genetically different with different constitutions and patterns, we respond to treatments in many different ways. So the drugs are to be taken under guidance from a ayurvedic doctor.

Shankhapuspi and Ashwagandha both are used as a mental tonic and both help in stimulating the nervous system and skeletal system.

20. Sir can you give any information about Shankhapushpyarista; such as ingredients or manufacturer etc.?

Thanks a lot Sir.

• Dr Malini Bhat says:

There is no information about Shankhapushpyarishta but many ayurvedic companies like Patanjali,Dabur etc are manufacturing Shankhapushpi syrup.

The main ingredients being Shankhapushpi and Bramhi , both help in enhancing memory and used as a brain tonic.

21. ali salim says:

hi dr.
    nice work ur doing appreciated. \i have 2 things if can kindly reply me via email
    1. My son is 30 years old, basically healthy no conditions we know of. in away
    how ever he gets stressed fast. and worst par is he forgets things so fast.
    he has no history of any disease, he is normal, smart. could u recommend somthing for me for memory at least

2. for me :
    I have issues falling sleep fast, and get trouble sleeping well for 4 hourse,
    sleeping is disturbed, and iget dreams that are meaningless

I take ashwagand every morning
    I massage every day with brami oil for my head and naryan or balaashwaganda oil and sesame oil for body

I took tagara for 4 months 250mg from Himalay but I stopped as i did not see much help

Iam healthy, not fat, 54years old, no issues really

can u advise on something

22. Dear Doctor,
    Can you provide information on dosage for adult Obsessional Compulsive Disorder, assuming no other health concerns? The most easily available product in my region is Gopala 500mg capsules. I have observed decent responses in 2 capsules twice a day, but would like to know if higher dosing could in some cases, where Shankhapushpi is well-tolerated, provide greater support for the patients?
    Thank you for your highly informative site and generous time,

23. Sukhbir says:

Is it safe for 4.5yrs old kid

24. Ganesh says:

My son is 12 yr age, having lower retention memory ( having learning disability). I should give him sankhapuspi or bramhi or both to improve memory.

• Dr Malini Bhat says:

Hello Sir, Here are some remedies to improve memory:
      1. Soak 5 to 10 almonds in water overnight.The next morning, peel the skin and grind the almonds.Boil this paste with one glass of milk.Add some sugar or honey for taste.Drink it daily for 30 or 40 days.
      2. Intake of Amla Juice everyday
      3. Consume one to two teaspoons of juice extracted from brahmi leaves two or three times a day. You can also add a little honey.

25. My daughter is 4 years old. She is bit hyperactive and get angry. Can i give her shankhpushpi syrup and how much time.

Yes, 5 ml, mixed with 5 ml of water, at night after food for 2 months time. If symptoms do not improve, consult a doctor after a month time.

26. Dr Helen Engelbrecht says:

Can One take Shankapushpi with Brahmi to increase clarity of mind before an Ayurvedic exam?

27. m d pawar says:

my son is 18 years lern in 12 th science , his 10 th std marks is 94% but he is upset in 12 th study please suggest which shankpushpi give t0 them-

It is not good to rely on medicines to improve memory / intelligence in students. However, Shankhapushpi – syrup – 1 teaspoon mixed with 1 teaspoon of water, can be administered twice a day for up to six months time, after food.

28. Nutan Kaushik says:

I am 65 years old and my husband is 69. Recently we are experiencing mild memory loss. I am growing (blue variety) Shankhapushpi plant at home. Will eating one or two leaves daily help? Or should I make an extract? Thanks for advice.

Dear Madam, eating leaves is not useful. Try to grow and consume Gotu Kola leaves. it is very easy to grow and you can use 4 – 5 leaves just as coriander leaves in diet.

29. Dr. Hebbar
    My wife is psychology patient
    She was taking alopathy medicines
    Can I give shankapushpi & Bramhi powder with milk?

It depends on the type of disease. As a general supplement, 1 gram of both the powder, with milk can be given at night for 2 months time.

30. Sir, in vitiated vata conditions like anxiety, palpatations and insomnia. is sankhapushpi syrup suitable with out consulting doctor ?

Hi, for any condition, it is always best to consult a doctor directly. Shankhapushpi syrup can be taken as a general tonic, 5 ml, once or twice a day, after food for 4 – 6 weeks of time.

31. PC Acharya says:

1. My mother, 77yrs old, has high Bp. Can we give her shankhapuspi ?
    2. We have shankhapuspi flower grown in our house. How are we to consume it ?

Make sure that it is Convolvulus pluricaulis first. Its root is administered in powder form in a dose of 500 mg once or twice a day. If the person has high BP, then better to consult a doctor directly instead of self medicating.

32. I’m looking for herbal treatment for depersonalization. I know Shankhapushpi is one of them but which others? I’m from Belgium. Thanks

33. Neepam says:

Can I give shankpushpi to my one year old baby

34. KESHAB ROUT says:

My wife is pregnant of 5 months.Can she use sankhapuspi in pregnancy period

35. Hello doctor what should be the dosage of shankhpushpi for a 4 year old. I am using baidyanath brand.

36. Dr Helen Engelbrecht says:

Hi Dr Hebbar: I am presently studying with the California College of Ayurveda. My practitioner has me on a formula with 4x Gotu Kola, 4x Shatavari, 2x Ashwagandha, 2x Bringaraj and 1xcardamom. I am 64 and wanting to address memory and well as sleep problems, and supplementation for the post menopause. I would like to add some Shankapushpi to improve memory and sleep. Is there any conntraindication to adding Shankapushpi to the herbs I already have in the formula? I am also about 30lbs overweight with a slightly fatty liver: can I add Tumeric as well?

Dr Helen Engelbrecht

Dear Dr Helen, you can add Shankhapushpi and turmeric to the above mix. No problem.

37. Nandani says:

Hi sir ,my sister is 22 yeras old n she is having concerntration problem……..but she usualy suffer from cold time to time…..in such condition shankhpuspi syrup is preferable????

38. I want to give Shanka Pushpi to my son for memory improvement. He is currently taking a medicine (Levetiracetam) for epilepsy. Is it safe to give them together with no side effects?

39. Manish says:

Sir, you mentioned shankpushpi reduces pitta and kapha. If it cant cure vata dosha how it can resolve mental instabilities, stress? , same applies to gotu kola.

Because, mental instabilities and stress are equally related with Pitta, especially, Sadhaka type of Pitta.

40. Manish says:

Is there a herb or medicine which promotes awareness, reduces anxiety and calms vata,pitta ?

41. Dr. Can u give the reason why this herb is to be avoided by pregnant ladies?

Hi, sorry. It is safe during pregnancy. But any health issues, if happens during pregnancy, often herbal supplements are blamed first. Hence the precaution.

42. Priti K Mewada says:

Hi,my child is 10 year old how much shankpushpi syrup have to give her,her Memory is weak and for how many days have to give .

3 ml, mixed with 10 ml water, 2 times a day after food for 6 weeks time. Stop it after six weeks.

43. My daughter is 3year 3months can i gives shankhpushpi to her??

She is too young for online advice. If she is naturally intelligent, no need of this syrup. Please consult a local Ayurveda doctor directly.

44. Yup she is good in studies but i wanted to make her brain strong can i gv 5 ml in a day if u say?

45. Ena jain says:

Can this cause nose bleeding??
    My son is 17 years old.. how can he take this??

It does not cause nose bleeding, as per my knowledge.
      Its powder – quarter a teaspoon – (2 grams) can be mixed with a teaspoon of ghee. Make a paste, swallow with water. This can be continued for a month time.
      Its powder is available in amazon website here

46. Can it be given to patients taking aspirin and warfarin? Will it affect its efficacy

47. Thank u so much ji

48. For how long does one have to drink this herb?

49. Praveen says:

Can it consume for the age of 20 to 25????