Varadi Kashayam – An Effective Ayurveda Weight Loss Remedy

Varadi Kashayam is a traditional Ayurvedic medicine. It has its roots in Kerala Ayurveda system of practice. This herbal decoction preparation is widely used in southern part of India in the treatment of obesity.

Warning: Do not take this product without the consent of your Ayurvedic doctor. The description here is only for the purpose of information and knowledge.
Varadi kashayam is also known as Varadi Kashay, Varadi kashayam, Varadi Kasayam etc.

The word meaning of ‘Vara’ is ‘great’. In Ayurvedic terminology, Vara is often used to suggest Triphala. – the group of three fruits.

Kashaya refers to water decoction or herbal tea

The reference for Varadi Kashaya is found in Kerala Ayurveda treatise – Sahasrayoga.

Varadi kashayam uses –
Varadi Kashayam is extensively used in the treatment of obesity.

Varadi Kashayam Dosage –
If you have brought the Kashaya from an Ayurvedic store, usually the Kashaya will be concentrated. Please check the dosage in the label.

Generally, if the Kashaya is concentrated, 5 ml of the kashaya is added with 5 ml of luke warm water, mixed well, and taken orally, two times a day.

Half a spoon of honey should also be taken along with this Kashaya. (As per the traditional textual reference).

This is usually on empty stomach, either in early morning and evening hours, or generally before food.

Your doctor will be the best judge on dosage and time of intake.

Varadi Kashaya possible side effects –
A few may experience stomach uneasiness, burning sensation in stomach or lose stools.
If you experience anything as such, start taking it after food or consult your doctor.

How long to take?
Up to one month.

Varadi Kashaya ingredients –
Triphala –
Amla – Emblica officinalis
Haritaki – Terminalia chebula
Vibhitaki – Terminalia bellirica
Chitraka – Plumbago zeylanica
Loha patra – Iron (Herbal processed Iron foils are kept dipped in the Kashaya for a few days. A few companies add Loha bhasma (medicated iron ash powder) to it, in place of iron foils)

Haridra (Curcuma longa)
water

Varadi Kashayam – actual reference –

??????????: ?????????????? ????????: ? ?????????????????? ????? ?????? ????????? ? - ????????
var?san?gnaya: patrani??kv?tho madhupluta: | dviradasth?ladeho'pi pibeta m?s?t k??obhavet || - sahasrayoga

The product links are affiliate. Do not follow given advice, without consulting your doctor.

Comments

1. Sasank says:

Hello Dr,
    What i sthe difference between Varadi Kashaya and Varanadi kashaya?
    Which is the best for weight reduction?
    Where can I get Varadi Kashaya? who are the manufacturers?

Varadi kashayam and Varunadi Kashayam are two different formulations with different set of ingredients.
      Varadi Kashayam is mentioned in Sahasrayoga text book of AYurveda. Varunadi kashayam reference is found in Ashtanga Hrudaya.
      Varadi Kashayam contains herbal processed iron as an ingredient. But Varunadi Kashayam is purely herbal in nature.
      Efficacy-wise, both Varadi and Varanadi are similar in action, but in my opinion, Varadi Kashayam is better in efficacy when compared to Varanadi kashayam.
      Kottakkal (AVS) manufactures Varadi Kashayam.
      Many companies like AVN, AVP, AVS, etc manufacture Varanadi Kashayam.,

2. Aartia says:

What is Vyoshachitrakadi Kashayam used for? and what are the effects of the same.

Regards.

It is used to correct digestion impairment. It improves digestion and metabolism.

3. What is the pathyam when having varadi kashayam…?

Fibre rich diet, low fat and low sugar diet is good for losing weight while using Varadi Kashayam. The diet should positively contribute to the purpose of medicine.

4. TASNEEM says:

can breast feeding mother use this varadi kashayam and is it available in mangalore city.

If your doctor has advised it, then it can be continued while breast feeding. However, I would advice to stop it during first sex months of lactation. It might be available in Kottakkal shop. Please check.

5. Can you pl let me know the use of Varadi Choornam.I had been prescribed this several years ago but don’t recollect for what.
    Does this powder have a shelf life?. I had bought this from Kottakkal AVS.

6. How much weight loss can be expected with the one month course (2 times a day). Also can the ladies continue taking this during the monthly course (MC period)?

If you do strict diet restriction, follow a good exercise program of at least half an hour day, you can expect to lose upto 3 kg per month.
      It should not be taken during periods.

7. i am suffering from PCOS and my doctor advised me varunadi kashayam. i have been taking that since two months and today when searching over internet i found VARUNADI kashaya is for kidney stones related issues where as VARANADI kashayam is for weight loss. Which is the correct kashayam i should be buying. And if i have taken the syrup for kidney stones, are there any adverse effects on my health due to that. Please help me on this.

Please note that Varunadi and Varanadi Kashayam – both are one and the same. Both are used for renal calculi, as it has diuretic property. It helps to relieve kidney stones.
      It is used in PCOS, because it helps to reduce the cyst size. It also helps to fight water retention in PCOS and thus helps to keep weight under control.

8. supriya says:

Hello Dr. I want to reduce my tummy fat, can u please recommend me something.

9. nazima says:

How many days I have to take it will reduce atleast 2 kilo for one month

I do not have data on this. Just based on my experience, as a rule of thumb, taking it for one month, after consulting a doctor, with exercise and diet planning, you should be able to reduce 2 kg.

10. dear dr
    can a feeding mother can use varanadi.

Yes, if it is prescribed by the doctor.

• Narayan says:

Hello Dr. Hebbar,
        I couldnt find Varadi tonic in any of the stores in bangalore. can you please let me know where I can find it.

Narayan

Hi, please try in Gururaja Ayurveda Pharmacy, in front of Majestic.
          If not try in Kottakkal Arya Vaidya Sala shops of Bangalore.
          Sitaram Ayurveda Pharmacy Ltd. manufactures the same Kashayam in tablet form. General dose for Varadi kashayam tablet is 1 – 2 tablets once or twice a day.

• santhoshravikrishna says:

Ask sthoulyahara kashaya,the other name for it in a store nearby vidyaranyapura last bus stop.

11. is there any harm or any problems for women taking varadi kashayam

12. Adarsh says:

doing excercise after taking varadi is good or not ?

Exercise can be done after taking Varadi. But it is not good to be without food for more than half an hour after taking this Kashayam.

13. use of liquor and beer during this period is harmful or ?

14. hi doc
    i just started hvg the varanadi kashayam(vaidyaratnam) yesterday,that too just once in the evg,though i din hv any stomach related side effect,im getting mouth ulcers…cud it b possibly the side effect of kashayam?im under alopathic medication for hypothyroidism(thyronorm 50mcg) too…but my thyroid functiong is normal nw.im just worried if the mouth ulcers wud aggravate!

Hello Star, Very rarely Varanadi kashayam cause mouth ulcers. But it is unlikely to cause it with a single dose.
      Add a bit more water to it, before taking. If it worsens, consult your doctor.

15. victory says:

sir i have more muscle mass in my arm and thigh…How to Lose Muscle Mass on specific part of body?
    is there any medicine available? or
    is varadi kashayam will help?
    please suggest me..

Hi, lose wrapping a crepe bandage and avoiding its usage of the arm for a few days time is the best way to reduce muscle mass.

16. praveen gowda says:

Hi sir my self praveen from bangalore my age is 23 but my weight is 64 i was havng light stomch fat can i take this Varadi tonic ? please answr to my question i was awaiting for your reply

Thanku

Hi, rather than self medicating with this medicine, it is best to consult a doctor in person.

17. Good morning I get up in the morn an have the khashayam an have a cuppa coffee in five mins is it ok or should I wait for half an hour pl advice thx

Hi, ideally, it is better to have a gap of at least 15 minutes between kashayam and coffee.

18. i need to reduce only belly fat. wats ur suggestion?

19. ashwini says:

hello sir…,can you please tell me where i get this varadi kashyam in pune??????/

20. M. Sambasiva Rao says:

About Varunadi Kashay I have referred this and I got good information from so many persons referred above and thanks to Dr.JV HEBBER for his valuable suggestions. My experience by using Varunadi Kashaya, I am relieved from dry cough and soar throat which I experience very often.Now I got relief. But mouth ulcers I am getting. Thank u all.
    M.Sambasiva Rao, Guntur AP

21. Which is the best weight loss medicine in Ayurveda ?

22. ankit gupta says:

hello sir…,can you please tell me where i get this varadi kashyam in delhi?

23. clinton says:

100 percent working ryt

24. pavitra says:

This artical is good.I have one query this after delivery of child birth the belly fat is high then this medicine will b euse full to reduce belly fat after delivery for women.

25. Hi,

Can I get this in saudi Arabia ?

26. shinumol says:

Price plsssssss…….

27. swapna says:

Hi can I take this medicine while I’m pregnant?

28. Dr,
    How often can we use varadi kashayam if we are overweight(not obese)?

29. hello sir, i have a question. can hypothyroid be cured (100 % complete cure) with ayurvedic medicines? or it can be treated only. there is a difference between cure (permanent cure) and treatment of a disease. i hope you got my question.

Hi, if the hypothyroid is of recent origin (not older than a year), then it can be cured with Ayurvedic treatment. However, the result may vary from person to person. Please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

30. sir thanks for your information. you and all ayurvedha doctors doing a excellent jobs. i have one doubt. we follow any food diet on intake the medicine? i saw its on online can i purchase on online? if i purchase online means may i consider any doctor for taking this medicine or any manual log is attached on that medicine from online?? pls explain this???

• Dr Malini Bhat says:

Hello Madam, There are specific pathya’s to be followed with the medicines you take. The doses of Ayurvedic medicines are not fixed. Exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power of the patient, the nature of the illness, the state of the viscera and humours, and the properties of individual drugs. And the duration of internal medications are better to be decided after analysing the condition and prognosis of your body and problem. So would advise you to take a expert opinion and then take the medicine.

31. V Murali says:

Sir,
    My wife’s PP level showed between 7 and 8 in HBA1C and around 160-170 for the past two years. Our doctor advised us to take Sreevaradhi+khathaka khadiradi kashayam+ Phalathrikadi kashayam 15 ml 2 times. She is also taking for the past one year + controlled food + minimum walk. How long she has to take this medicine? Kindly reply
    V.Murali,Tirupattur

• Dr Malini Bhat says:

Hello sir, Kindly ask your doctor for the same as he/she might have monitored your wife very closely. Seeing the reports the doctor might reduce the dosage for her accordingly.

32. Sushmita says:

Hello Sir, Is Varavisaladi Kashayam (Arya Vaidya Sala) safe to take while trying to conceive? what about during periods? Thank you.

Yes, it is safe to take while trying to conceive. It can also be taken during periods.

33. I want to loose weight, Im taking medohar guggula 2-2 tablets two times, Can I take varadi kashyam to get better result ??
    what is the proper time of taking varadi kashyam ??
    how much time before eating I should take it ??

• Dr Malini Bhat says:

Take it on empty stomach in the morning Sir. After half an hour you can have your breakfast.

34. Usha Natarajan says:

Dr. Your articles on ayurveda are very informative.Can i take varadi kashyam along with aswagantharishtam?

35. Shivamma. S says:

Namasthe Doctor
    can i use karpooradi tailam for hair growth? After hysterectomy surgery i lost my hair to a greater extent. Pl guide me Doctor.

Karpooradi tailam is used in muscular pain, rheumatic complaints, muscle cramps etc. Not for hair growth. Better to opt for Neelibrhingadi tailam. – Available in amazon website here -http://amzn.to/1SBdMSk

36. anamika says:

How many months can i use this for reducing weight

2 months time in high dose of – 20 ml, mixed with 20 ml of water, 2 times a day, 30 minutes before food.
      After that, reduce the dose to 10 ml, mixed with 20 ml of water, 2 times a day for another 6 weeks. Stop it after that.

• anamika says:

Thnk u doctor……i having pcod….can i use this for reducing weight…..and i am taking pconidd tablets ……and also can i use varadi kashaya along with varunadi kashaya as varunadi kashaya is good for reducing the size of cyst….

Hi, if you are taking Varunadi Kashaya, no need of taking Varadi Kashayam becaues Varunadi kashayam itself helps to reduce weight.

37. Hi Dr, I have been consuming varadi kashayam 2 times and abhayanayaki leham at night for obesticity. Can you tell me what does that leham does

38. Hello Doctor, I have been prescribed Varardi Kashayam for weight loss..take 20 ml with 60 ml of water. I’m taking 2 times a day but I see weight increase.. I walk atleast one hour during the day..I have been taking this for 3 weeks. I do not know if I continue to take this will casue increase in weight. Please help

Dear Ms Ramya, definitely, weight gain is not due to Varadi Kashayam. I suggest to continue it for one more month.

39. Usha Natarajan says:

If a man with hypothyroid problem wife conceive, will the child birth effect or have any other problem?

I think you mean to say that the wife has hypothyroidism. In this case, if she conceives and continues with hypothyroidism medication properly, usually there will not be any problem with child.The child will be normal.

40. hi Dr,

i have been prescribed ayaskrithi and lodhrasavam arishta 30ml(2 times a day) for fighting obesity. How effective are these drinks? should it be consumed before or after food?

41. Swathi says:

Sir where can i get this in chennai

42. Can we give nithya virechana for the patient consuming this Varadi Ks? Is it make so much dhathukshaya ?

If the patient is obese, or if there is profuse Pitta dosha increase, then nitya virechana can be adminsitered while continuing with Varadi Kashayam.
      If you are not sure, Nithya vierchana can be started and if the patient is feeling excessively tired or if there are BP variations, then Varadi can be stopped for a while.

43. Prathap says:

My stomach fat is high can I take varadi kadhayam what is the cost? I am in chamarajnagar. Where should I buy

44. Nithya M says:

Dear Dr can we take varadi kashayam during periods? And also how many times in a year can we take varadi kashayam if we are in obese 2 category?

45. christina james says:

Hello
    I am a girl of 16 years
    Can I take this?

46. I’m 22 yrs old n my weight 55kg n height is 5:2. Cn u tell me the doage of varadi kashayam and for how long I should take it?

10 ml, mixed with 20 ml water, 2 times a day, 15 minutes before food for 6 weeks time.

For further personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.
      If you want my help in finding a good Ayurveda doctor for you, then let me know your place.

For email advice (not a reliable option, we do not promise any cure), please write to our health experts here (paid service) – https://easyayurveda.com/consult/

47. Sir I am 23 years old and weighing 59.Hyporthyroid oatient and taking 75mcg thyrojorm early in the morning..in revent visit to kerala they suggested me varanadi kashayam to reduce the cellulite near my abdomen and thighs there by aiding weightloss..please let me know how long should i take

48. Zohara Bathool says:

I am 35 year old lady with 5.8′ height suffering from piles, could I use varadi kashayam, if so what dosage I have to intake.

49. Preethy says:

Sir, can you suggest diet we should follow while consuming varadi kashayam? can we take milk? suppose we should avoid non-veg and eggs. please advise

All the weight loss remedies and diet are also applicable. You can take non veg and eggs in limited quantities.

50. Dr

I’m over weight with fat in abdomen with a wt of 100 kg. I started taking varadi kashayam for 2 weeks now after reading the site. Can I continue it for 2 months and should I take any other medicine along with it to reduce fat. My body is generally kapha and vata type. Please let me know.
    Raj

Along with varanadi, you also may need kanchanara guggulu or navaka guggulu etc medicines. Please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly

51. I am 35 years old 5″4 inches tall and 79kgs I have to loose 10 -13kgs awhat should I take and for what duration Dr? Pls guide!

52. Priyaashok95@gmail.com says:

Hi I am priya,
    I want to loss belly fat and thighs can I have this please tel me

Please take Sthoullyahara Churna – 5 grams, 2 times a day after food for 3 months time.
      Available here
      gardendiary.info/2015/07/13/obesity-management-through-sthoullyahara-churna/

53. M.A.NAGARAJA RAO says:

Respected Dr.
    I am 50 years old . I have central obesity. On the suggestion of my friend I took varadi kashaya, along with this do you suggest any thing

54. Christina says:

Hai sir my weight is 60kg noticed that which is not suitable for my height that is149cm sir can you suggest medicine for me

55. mahesh says:

dr. whether it is varadi or varanadi kashayam

56. babu@tayo.co.in says:

Dear Doctor,
    Is Varanadi good for controlling cholesterol & triglycerides since it works on Kapha. which is ayurvedic medicine is good to control cholesterol & triglycerides? I am taking fenofibrate tab for cholesterol & triglycerides but it is increasing the creatinine level of my blood. Pl advice.

57. I’m 22yrs and suffering with gastric trouble, haifall and weight gain(tummy and thighs).
    Request you to suggest me a medicine for all the above as well as to stay fit and healthy

For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

58. Sridevi says:

Is varanadi kashayam and navaga guggulu safe during lactation?

59. i am 36 years ,weight is 77 kg ,height 4.9 please suggest dosage and duration of varandi kashayam to loose max. weight.what time interval after 1 month to another course of varandi kashyam

10 ml, mixed with 20 ml water, 2 times a day after food for 2 months time. Then give a month gap and continue again.

For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

60. Sir,29 years old and 80kg weight 158cm hight ..breastfeeding 1year 3 month baby..I’m taking varadi kashaya after reading the site..now it’s 3 day’s I’m having kashaya..do I need to take any other medicines with this?…

61. Hi,
    Im 24 years old with 173cm height and im obese with 100kg, can you suggest me ayurvedic medicine.

62. Gomathi says:

Hi I am 68kg height 163 cm and I neee to reduce 10kg . Pls suggest me what to take and how long ?

63. Hi doctor..I am having poly cystic kidney disease.can varanadi kashayam,vyoshadi gulu gulu tablet cure it

I cannot guarantee a cure.
      For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

64. Hi Doctor,

Sthoullyahara churna Or Varadi Kashayam- which one is best for weight loss?

65. Ty for ur reply sir..

Also, Can u pl let me know where can I buy sthoulyahara churna in Chennai pl?

66. Sir I’m 29, weight 80 ,height158cm.now using loose tablets and medohar 2each three times a day with an advice of ayurvvedic docter.is it useful ..it is for 15 days.he advice me medication for 6 months and medicines will change..

Hi, both are useful. Please continue the treatment for 3 months. If there is no change in weight, the medicines need to be altered.