Anu Tail – A Good Ayurveda Oil For Nasya Treatment

Anu Tail is an Ayurvedic herbal oil. It is used for an Ayurveda treatment procedure called as Nasya treatment. Nasya refers to nasal instillation of drops of the oil.

Anu taila  – method of administration –  In a standard Nasya therapy, person is given a gentle head and face massage and heat treatment, followed by instillation of drops of this herbal oil into each nostril. The number of drops depends upon many factors such as Dosha imbalance, disease condition etc.

Anu tail uses Strengthens ears, eyes, nose, tongue and throat.
Usually used in the treatment of diseases of the above sense organs.
Has Tridosha balance effect.
It is also used in the treatment of headache, hair fall, premature graying of hair etc.
Strengthens voice
Used for nasya treatment in most of the diseases of ear nose and throat involving pain.
Apart from the conditions mentioned above, Nasya treatment using Anu Taila can be performed by the Ayurvedic doctor based on his experience and analysis.

Anu Thailam ingredients:
Vidanga – Embelia ribes
patra – Cinnamon
Ela – cardamom
Renuka – Vitex negundo
Taila – Sesame oil
Goat milk

Side effects:
If all the instructions by the doctor are prefectly followed, there are no known side effects with this product.

Where to buy?  (aff)

Anu Tail – reference
There are many references of Anu Taila. This herbal oil reference is found in oldest of Ayurvedic treatises like Charaka Samhita, Sushruta Samhita, Ashtanga Hrudaya, Sahasrayoga.
Reference verse from
Ashtanga Hrudaya Sutrasthana 20/ 37-39

Anu Taila

Preparation of Anu thailam as per Charaka Samhita (reference: Sutrasthana 5/58-62)
Chandana (Sandalwood – Santalum album),
Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus Willd),
Harenu (Pisum Sativum Linn),
Brihati – Solanum indicum ,
Vyaghri (Slanum xanthocarpum Schrader and wendl),
Surabhi( Pluchea lanceolata Oliver and Hiern),
Padmakesara (Filaments of Nelumbo nucifera Gaertn),
These drugs should be boiled with hundred times of pure rain water(of the oil in quantity), till it is reduced to ten times of the oil (in quantity). The oil should be boiled in that decoction for ten times. At the final (that is the tenth) stage of boiling, equal quantity of goat’s milk should be added to it. This is the prescribed method for preparing Anu Taila which is useful for inhalation. The prescribed dosage of oil are half Pala or 24 ml( this is the quantity to be used in twenty-four hours).

Frequently asked questions about Anu tailam:
I had bought two bottles of Anu thailam from two different companies. One of the oils(kairali) is darker than the other(vaidyaratnam oushadhasala). It is ok for there two be such difference ?
Answer:
Yes. Usually herbal products vary in colour because same herbs can be so different from one another.

I experience severe sensitivity at different points in my head after a few mins of administering the same. Heaviness of head & pin pricks pains are also there. Why is this so?
Answer
Heaviness and pin prick pains are due to sudden introduction of oil into nostrils without prior preparation.
Before Nasya, you need to do face massage with sesame oil / Narayana taila for 5 minutes, avoiding eyes.
Then do a small sweating therapy (swedana) by applying a towel dipped in hot water over the face.
Then you instill 2 – 3 drops of Anu tail into both of nostrils.
Hope, this should relieve the heaviness and pin prick pains.

I tried another nasal oil previously (without needing preparation) and it was very soothing, this anu is like a bolt of lightning from nose to throat to brain and beyond and it kept hurting for maybe 20 minutes. Would be nice if there were instructions with it or at least a warning. The brand I chose was Nagarjuna.

That is why, it is not good to try Panchakarma (or any Ayurvedic medicine) on one’s own.
Whenever you are using any Nasya oil (like this one), only one or two drops should be tried for first week.
Massage and little fomentation with hot water dipped towel is good pre-work.
It is good to start it in the morning, on empty stomach.

In a book I read Sariva , Triphala & Sandal wood as ingredient but you not mentioned them.
one medicine can have different references with slightly different set of ingredients. Of all Anu taila references, Ashtanga Hrudayam is the most followed one, which I have quoted above.

1. Is this oil ideally to be used only in the morning on empty stomach? also curious if you it is possible to explain what the reason for this is.

2. above, it is mentioned as being used for headache, can you elaborate on that a little?

1. Hi, there are two types of Nasya treatment (nasal drops) One with higher dose and one with very low dose – two drops into each nostril. The latter is called as Pratimarsha nasya – Since it is mild, there are six times mentioned for its usage. – Because it is not possible to follow precisely that, I suggested using it in the morning empty stomach. – You can find further details about Nasya treatment here – https://easyayurveda.com/2013/08/12/how-to-do-ayurvedic-nasya-treatment-at-home-nasal-drops-for-long-life/
If it is practiced after food, some people may feel irritation and vomit.

2. It helps to soothe nerves, relieves nerve irritation and hence, useful in balancing Vata, thus is used in headache treatment.

The product links are affiliate. Do not follow given advice, without consulting your doctor.

Comments

1. Shekhar says:

Doctor, I have been sufferring from deafness (hearing problem) and I’ve been advised to use Anu Taila for Nasya. I would like to know, is it ok to use this taila, will this help to cure my problem apart from other medicines I’ve been prescribed??

2. sir i was suffering from nose block from the past 1 year…..not getting sleep at nights with this blockage…one friend doctor suggested me to use anuthaila daily morning and evening before sunrise and after sunset…i was using for the past 1 month..got little relief…how long should i continue this, to clear my problem.and does it really works??guide me help me sir

3. Jayaraju M S says:

Dear sir,
    Fr 3 years i am suffering from sinusities,
    Can anu thailam help me to come out from this disease? Someone suggeated me to use this oil.
    First i am using anu thailam 2 drops to each nostril then taking steam.
    Is this the right way?

Jay

Anu Tail can help you. But it is best to consult an Ayurveda doctor directly for complete treatment.

4. Hello sir , you are tooo good….. my wife is an Ayurvedic doc as well … we both admire you personality and attitiude towards people health and your dedication to help them cure their health issues and ailments….

you rockkk…

Regds
    Anu and Karthik

5. what about using ksheerabala 108 avarthanam?

6. i am suffering frm myopia. will nasya oil cure myopia ?

And also any one of my nose is always blocked. could this be the cause of my myopia ?

if i cure noseblock, will muopia go away

Nose block and myopia are not connected. There is no guarantee that nasya treatment would completely help you to cure myopia. Though, it helps to some extent to improve vision.

7. Dear Doctor,
    I have gone through septoplasty to get rid of my hevayness in left nostril and portion of left peripheral heavyness near ear ,ear back of head. But septoplasty has only improved my breathing from both nostrils but hevyness still remains, structurally my sinuses are okay as per PNS CT scan, No issues with brain as brain mri is okay.. MRI indicates little bit frontal sinuses & ethmoid sinuses at both side,but hevey ness is mainly at left side ethmoid portion.. I have tried lot of antiallergy medication.. sline water sprays… steroid sprays.. all gives only temporary reliefe… infact work stress & hunger agrevates the problem.. I always try to avoid stress.. & try to eat on time… but practically it becomes difficult because of demanding job.. agrevation of problem causes littlebit dizziness also… Should I try anutaila at home.. I can strat with precaution as mentioned.. with first just one drop in each nostril..I have anutaila from make- Rasa shala, Pune. Manufaturing is of 2009, sealed bottle.. does it have any expiry? Thanks to answer..

Hi, expiration date of anu tail is three years from date of manufacture. Hence, that oil will not be useful to you.

8. Hi Sir,

Thanks for your information.
    My brother is having nose block and he is using “nasivion nasal drops”.
    We have an idea to stop that drop and to start anu thailam. If he stop and start using anu thailam immediately, will it lead to health issue? Please suggest.

The way nasivision nasal drop and anu taila works is completely different. I would recommend to start with two drops of anu taila to reach nostril followed by hoy fomentation in the morning while continuing with nasivision. After a week or so, based on progress you can decide / consult an Ayurveda doctor for advice.

9. Mahesh says:

I have been done nasya kriya in doctors administration. It gave good results of reduction in headache. I want to continue at home.
    (1) Can you please name types of anu oils ?
    (2) Which kind of smoke inhalation is to be performed?
    (3) I think Sesame taila is good for massage.

10. Pramod says:

Hello Dr Hebbar
    Could you please advise if this Anu Taila helpfull for Hair Loss ?
    I have also read that the mixture of three ingrident (burdock dandelion & licorice) is very helpful to regrow Hairs, is this true ?

If yes could you please let us know the specific name for this oil (burdock dandelion & licorice) to get it in an Ayurvedic shop

Thanking you in advance

1. Yes.
      2. Yes.
      3. Since burdoct and dandelion are exotic (grown Outside India), I really doubt availability of an oil containing these in an Ayurveda store.

11. Hari S. says:

Sir,
    Is there any complication on continuous usage of anu taila.

12. kalim s says:

can i use anu oil and other steroidal/allopathic nasal spray on same day or alternate day,pls guide

Usually Anu oil is instilled in to nose in the morning, followed by facial massage and a little fomentation with hot water dipped cloth or steam.
      You can use both Anu oil and allopathic spray on the same day. Just make sure to maintain a gap of 30 minutes between the two.

13. can we do nasya before sunrise ?

Hi, Nasya is a cleansing procedure. It is meant to liquefy the toxins (~Dosha) and extract it out through the nasal route. Hence, sunlight helps. It should be done after Sunrise. Read more about Nasya procedure details here – easyayurveda.com/2013/08/12/how-to-do-ayurvedic-nasya-treatment-at-home-nasal-drops-for-long-life/

14. madhuri says:

Dr Hebbar i am suffering from severe hair loss can i use this anu tail (nasal drops) for hair loss? Does my hair regrow

You can use Anu taila. But if you can undergo Nasya treatment in an Ayurveda center, it will still be better.
      If you want do follow by yourself, then put 2 drops into each nostrils. First, please read Nasya treatment rules here – easyayurveda.com/2013/08/12/how-to-do-ayurvedic-nasya-treatment-at-home-nasal-drops-for-long-life/

15. Swarupa Bartakke says:

Dr Hebber,
    Does anu tel for nasya helps removing eyes’ number by improving vision after age 50 yrs

It helps to improve vision. But a removal of eye number completely cannot be guaranteed.

16. surabhi says:

Dear Dr Hebbar, I’m your admirer. Your humble replies and suggestions would mean the world to many here.
    1.I’ve been having migraine headaches since my Teens and now at 25 after having a baby my migraine has increased.doctor at the ayurvedic centre has given anu taila to be administered into nostrils 2drops each every morning and night with 3tabets to be taken morning afternoon and at night after good, also bhoonimbadi khada to be taken every morning and night 15ml each with water. How helpful is this treatment and how fast will I be waving my headaches goodbye ?
    2. Does anu tails help reduce hair loss and aid regrowth for my husband since he is experiencing a lot of hair fall ?
    Thanks a lot

1. Anu taila and the suggested medicines will surely help you reduce the frequency and intensity of migraine attacks. How fast, is difficult to answer. It may take a few months time. I am sure the doctor will lower the dose over a period of time. Just stick to the regimen. Do not stop the medicines abruptly.
      Read some headache tips here – https://easyayurveda.com/2011/02/01/how-to-get-rid-of-headache-20-things-that-you-should-avoid/

2. Yes.

• Mahesh says:

Dear Dr Hebbar

Can nasya kriya be performed two times in a day morning and evening?

Usually it is advised only once per day. Only if the Ayurvedic doctor specifies, then it can be done twice a day.
          Read more about – how to do Nasya at home – easyayurveda.com/2013/08/12/how-to-do-ayurvedic-nasya-treatment-at-home-nasal-drops-for-long-life/

17. ommkarnath says:

can anu tel cure nose polyps ?

18. hariharan says:

is there a non surgical treatment for nasal polyps?

There are medicines to reduce its size by a small degree to prevent its ill effects on health like frequent upper respiratory tract infection, rhinitis etc. Consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

19. Dear Sir,

Will Anu tail help in stopping of grey hair. Would you advise some other oil for stopping grey hair ?

20. umesh kumar says:

Excellent advice and explanation of the concepts on your website. I must compliment you on the easy ayurveda approach.
    Wish there were more references to enable us to buy for example nasya oil online from reputed indian vendors. This is just my opinion but i am sure there must be reasons for not doing so.

21. is Kottakkal Arya Vaidya Sala Anu Tailam good. this is also available in amazon.

22. is kottakkal anu tail good brand which is available in amazon?

23. Devesh Kumar Arora says:

I am interested in buying Anu Tail for my/our personal use. Which good companies are manufacturing this product. Is it available online ( of a good company).
    I stay in jaipur (Rajasthan).
    Thanks for reading and responding.
    Devesh Kumar Arora

• Dr Malini Bhat says:

Namaste Sir, There are many companies manufacturing this product like AVN, Kottakal, Sri Sri etc., Yes they are available online.

24. Shubhada DU says:

Im 24 years old.My hair has grown thin in past 3 years and scalp is easily seen.Does anutaila help me regain thickness of my hair completely?

Yes, First do sesame oil face massage and steam. then 2 drops to each nostril on empty stomach.

25. Anusha says:

Doctor one small clarification is the face massage and steam done BEFORE nasya or AFTER nasya?

26. Anusha says:

Also how can one do a self Nasya treatment?

Better to undergo Nasya for a week in Ayurveda center. Once you are familiar with the procedure, you can do it on yourself with a dose of 2 drops of oil to each nostril.

27. Hafeez says:

wahat is tha difrent bit win anu oil and shadbind taila

28. Hafeez says:

hair loss ke liye anu oil betar hai ya shadbindu taila

29. RAJESH MENON says:

Dear Doctor . I have been getting sinus headaches which mimic migraines and as a result I always vomit a lot. Then , I have to be given injections to stop the headache first , followed by injections to stop the vomiting. I have been suffering for 20 years now. Te doctor has prescribed Anu Tailam(Patanjali). Please advise as to how long I should take this

If it is just 2 drops per day, then you can use it for 2 – 3 months time.

30. Sir,Is there any difference in Anu tail and Shadbindu Tail,Please reply,
    Thanks.

31. sir please tell me name of good company who sell anu tail…

32. Prakash says:

Sir i have sinus and nasal congestion since 15 years. I use naselin nasal spray by cipla. Can i take anu tail and sabdbindu tail. Can i take it daily. Thanks.

You can put two drops of Anu taila into each nostril early in the morning before food daily. While you continue Anu taila, you can also continue the nasal spray usage.

33. Venkatesh says:

Sir i have eye movement difficulty with diophia… Can i use anu oil for that…

34. Himalay Vasani says:

hiiii plz say me what is a propaer method of nasya …plz say me……..

35. Sir my problem is nasal polyns annu taila is helpful ?

2 drops to each nostrils, in the morning, on empty stomach for 10 days can be useful.
      For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.
      If you want my help in finding a good Ayurveda doctor for you, then let me know your place.

For email advice (not a reliable option, we do not promise any cure), please write to our health experts here (paid service) – https://easyayurveda.com/consult/

36. sir i am from sonipat i done 2 nose surgery but its non benificial sir kshara for nosal polyns is helpfull

37. Can one use Anu Tailam when there are many polyps in the sinuses? Does it aggravate polyps / inflammation / mucus

38. V H Arora says:

Hi Doctor, I have been suffering from Nasal Polys and have undergone surgery but without any benefits, does this Anu Tail helps in removal of Polyps. Or do you suggest some other tail for such condition’s. I see lot of persons are raising questions on Polyps and everyone is using Nasilin or other Nasal drops. Please suggest the Ayurvedic Medication specially for such conditions removal of nasal polyps

Anu taila nasal drops – 2 drops into each nostril – in the morning on empty stomach for 15 days can be useful to ease breathing.

For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.