Hadjod: Cissus quadrangularis Uses, Dose, Research, Side Effects

There is an ancient quote relating the shape of the herb and their effect on certain organs of the body.
???? ?????: ???? ????: ????? ?
Yatra aakrutihi tatra gunaaha vasanti |

For example, Cissus quadrangular stem resembles the shape of bones and joints in the body. And in deed it is very effective in strengthening the bones and joints. It is explained as Asthi samharaka, Ashti Shrunkhala and Vajravalli.

Botanical names- Cissus quadrangularis Linn.
Family- Vitaceae

Hadjod

Hadjod

Names in different languages:
Hindi name- Hadjod, hadjora
English name- Edible stemmed vine,  veldt grape, devil’s backbone, adamant creeper
Telugu name- Nalleru
Kannada name- Mogaroli
Tamil name- Pindai, Perandai, Pirandai
Malayalam name – Changalam Paranda, Changalamparanta

Sanskrit Synonyms– Vajra valli, Asthi Shrunkala, Granthimana
Vajrangi – Makes the body as strong as diamond

What is cissus quardangularis

Cissus quadrangularis

cissus quadrangularis

Cissus quadrangularis is a herb, reaching a height of 1.5 m and has quadrangular-sectioned branches with internodes 8 to 10 cm long and 1.2 to 1.5 cm wide.

Classical categorization:
Bhavaprakasha – Guduchyadi Varga
Kaiyadeva Nighantu – Lakshmanadi Varga

Cissus quadrangularis chemical composition:
Carotenoids, Triterpenoids, traaxerol, sitosterol and ascorbic acid.
The plant extract serves as a rich source of calcium ions.

Cissus quadrangularis medicinal Properties
Guna (qualities) – Laghu – light to digest, Rooksha – dryness
Rasa (taste) – Madhura – sweet
Vipaka- Katu – Undergoes pungent taste conversion after digestion
Veerya – Ushna – Hot potency
Effect on Tridosha – Balances Vata and Kapha Dosha

Part used- Stem
Dosage-
fresh juice 10-20 ml; Paste  5-10  g in divided dose per day.
Capsule – extract in capsule form is advised once or twice a day.

Cissus quadrangularis usesCissus quadrangularis uses as per Ayurveda –
Asthiyuk – strengthens bones.
Sara – induces mobility, causes diarrhea, purgation, relieves constipation
Krumighna – Relieves worm infestation, useful in infected wounds
Amaghna – Relieves ama – a product of indigestion and altered metabolism.
Vrushya – aphrodisiac, improves vigor
Pachana – Digestive, relieves Ama Dosha
Pittala – Increases Pitta Dosha

It is used in the treatment of obesity, gout,  syphilis, Veneral diseases, leucorrhea, worm infestation, anorexia, diabetes, peptic ulcer, hemorrhoids and high cholesterol.

It is also used as a body building supplement. In North eastern states of India, its stem is used as a vegetable.

In Siddha system of medicine, it is used for healing bone fracture, piles, as an anti aging herb, in Asthma, cough and gonorrhea.

Research study on Cissus quadrangularis –
1. It contains a rich source of carotenoids, triterpenoids and ascorbic acid. Compounds that act as receptor antagonists of glucocorticoids have reduced the healing time of broken bones 30 to 50 percent in clinical trials. It has also been used to treat obesity and associated oxidative stress
Reference: Chopra SS, Patel MR, Awadhiya RP. (1976) “Studies of Cissus quadrangularis in experimental fracture repair: a histopathological study”; Indian Journal of Medical Researches 64(9): 1365-1368.

2. Its bactericidal effects on Helicobacter pylori hold promise as an effective treatment of gastric ulcers and preventative of stomach cancer in conjunction with anti inflammatory therapy.
Reference: Austin, A. Jegadeesan, M. Gowrishankar, R. (2004) “Helicobactericidal Activity of Cissus quadrangularis L. Variant I”; Natural Product Sciences 10 (5): 217-219. Korean Society of Pharmacognosy

Reduction in joint pain

Inhibition of bone loss

How to use Cissus quadrangularis for arthritis?
?????? ???????????? ??????????? ?????????? ? ????? ??????? ????: ? – ????????
Cissus quadrangularis stem is fried in ghee and administered with milk as for the treatment of fractures and osteo arthritis.
Cissus quadrangularis stem is processed in sesame oil is very useful to treat Sandhivata.

In Tamil Nadu, its Chutney is prepared with coconut and served as side dish, used for improving immunity.
In Kerala, traditional healers use its paste to apply over fractured or displaced joints. Its soup is also served to quicken the bone healing process.

Ayurvedic medicine with Cissus as ingredient:
Lakshadi Guggul – widely used in the Ayurvedic treatment for of bone related diseases and fracture healing.
Zeotone soft gel capsule
Panchajeeraka Gudam – An effective Ayurvedic medicine for post natal care, useful in digestive and respiratory diseases. It is in herbal jam  form.

Cissus quadrangularis side effects:
Because of its hotness, people with Pitta body type need to take precaution while taking this. Cissus fried in ghee balances out the excess hotness.
It can be used during lactation period and in children above 5 years of age. Seek medical advice for its use during pregnancy.

The product links are affiliate. Do not follow given advice, without consulting your doctor.

Comments

1. OMG! It’s like you understand my mind! You seem to know so much about this, just like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, besides that, this is great blog. A outstanding read. I’l

2. i am suffering from cervical spondylosis fo, bcoz of that i am suffering from back pain & joint pain from top to bottom & cracking sound coming from the joints. so can i use Cissus quadrangularis. plz advice me.

3. Dr Hebbar,

Can any individual of any age group take the ZEOTONE SOFT GEL CAPSULES for post fracture healing and gain strength?

It is best to take this under medical advice. Generally, anyone above 10 years of age can take this.

• Thank you Dr Hebbar. I am very thankful to you and your blog. I have added lot of healthy tips in my lifestyle now.
        1)I have joined gym which I had been postponing for years.
        2) I have started oiling my hair with natural oil regularly
        3)Started eating chavanprash. In my childhood my mom used to give me Chavanprash but with time we all stoppped it.

4. will it aggravate pitta? I am mostly vata-pitta and more than occasionally suffer from both imbalances.

Yes, it can increase Pitta dosha. This is why, it is advised to be administered as below –
      सघृतेन अस्थिसम्हारं सन्धियुक्ते अस्थिभग्ने च पिबेत क्षीरेण मानव: ॥ – चक्रदत्त
      Both ghee and milk counter the effect of Pitta.

5. I got hyperacidity high cholesterol and fracture in my lumbor spine pars how to take hadjod pl advice

6. Dhaval says:

hello dr. i have metatarsal fracture in second toe. i used hadjod as paste(lep(gel form) ) outer side of skin. and cover it with cast. after applying it whenever i eat something, the portion over liver is irritated or little sensation feeling over it. i afraid of any side effect.does it normal???what was that sensation means over liver portion?? plz give solution if any…

Hi, the liver irritation problem is not likely related with hadjod paste application. Please consult a doctor for evaluation.

• Dhaval says:

But sir liver irritation is not when paste is not applied means that whenever only I use hadjod as paste than only this kind of sensation occurs..so what is that ?? I am not against ayurveda..but it is the confusion only solved by ayurvedic expert.

7. Rama Chandrasekhar says:

Hi, I have fractured my collar bone and want to apply hadjod paste. How to get rid of itchiness?

Apply turmeric paste or six c ointment, after removing the paste to the itchy area.

8. CHABRA MANISH says:

RESPECTED DR SIR,
    NAMASTE
    WITH A HUMBLE AND SINCERE REQUEST !!
    I AM SUFFERING FROM OSTEONECROSIS OF HIP JOINTS SINCE 2011 AND UNDRGONE STEM CELL THERAPY IN 2012 CAN I USE HADJOD OF HIMALAYA FOR BETTER JOINT MOVEMENT OR CAN I USE BOTH SHALLAKI+HADJOD BOTH FOR SAME AS I AM WALKING WITH STICKS AS MY DR ADVISE AND HE ALSO TOLD ME WELL BEFORE IF UR JOINTS GETS DETERIORATED BEYOND CERTAIN LIMITS THAN U HAVE TO UNDERGO “TOTAL HIP REPLACEMENT ” OPERATION WHICH IS A COSTLY LIFE LONG NIGHTMARE FOR ME( AS I THINK ) SO PLS ADVISE SHOULD I TAKE BOTH “SHALLAKI” +”HADJOD” FOR MY JOINT N BONE DISEASE OR SUGGEST SOME OTHER AS DUE TO THIS EXCESSIVE TENSION I HAVE SLOWLY DEVELOPED GASTRIC PROBLEMS(HYPERACIDITY/REFLUXES) ALTHOUGH I DO NOT EAT ANY THING FROM OUTSIDE/ROADSIDE SINCE LAST 7 YRS ??
    PLEASE HELP ME SIR ,I GOT UR REFERENCE FROM GOOGLE/

Dear sir, you need Panchakarma treatment along with oral medicines. Please let me know your place. I will try to find a good Ayurveda center near you.

• CHABRA MANISH says:

sir i am at living at NOIDA (NCR) sorry for delay replying as due to excessive busy schedule sir but i will follow yous only.
        regards
        chabra manish

Please consult
          Archit Ayurvedic Clinic

Address: N-197, Sector 12, Noida, Uttar Pradesh 201301
          Phone:099589 58832

9. Shyam Choudhary says:

sir i have a problm on joint knee tightness the sound of kat kat in the knee I m along jumper when I do workout swelling and pain.wt cn I do for this for better and secure atheletic peformance in the next asian games

10. Harsha says:

Hi Sir,

I got your reference from google, Recently i met with an accident i had a fracture on my left ankle(2.2.5mm displacement and intra articular extension to tibia talar joint) Doctor near my home asked me to go for surgery, taken second opinion with doctor Muralidhar Rao he said it will heal with CAST in 8 weeks, for strengthen and fast healing of the bone can i use Cissuss quadrangularis, that is the bone which take all my weight on my left leg, once the bone heal’s can it take my weight like before,Please suggest me what i have to do.

11. Sir I get some cracking sounds in my elbows and knees and my Vitamin d is at a very low level.Can I take Hadjod of himalaya and will it have any side effects?

you can take it – 1 capsule 2 times a day after food for 1 month and then 1 capsule at night after food for another 1 or 2 months.
      For further advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.
      For email advice, please write to our health experts here (paid service) – https://easyayurveda.com/consult/

12. Hi Doctor, I heard hadjod is not good in hypertension.Please give information on this. Thanks and regards.

I have not come across such a report. In fact, hadjod is useful in obesity, and thus indirectly useful in hypertension.

13. Sir ,i have compression fracture in my vertebae.i want to use this medicine .i purchased Himalaya hadjod tablet ,but i dont know what is the proper way to use it .?
    1)With milk or with ghee ?
    2)before food or after food
    3)how long it can be use
    4) Any precaution and contraindication in my diet.
    5)Any side effect

Hadjod with ghee, after food for 2 months time. Have more of calcium rich diet. For further advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

14. Sir ,
    I have a fracture in backbone ,i am taking hadjod himalaya tablet, but how to take it
    1)with milk or ghee
    2)after food or before food
    3)how much tablet in a day
    4)any precaution in diet

with ghee, after food – 1 tablet 2 times a day. Have calcium rich diet. – green leafy vegetables, cabbage, soya food, lady finger, beans, almonds, sesame seeds, flax seed. garlic, basil.
      For further advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

15. narendra says:

sir, my mother had ubdergone bypass surgery 10 years back, & she goes for walking twice daily, now from past 01 year she is suffering from knee pain that after chicken gunniya & when cheked with local physician, they told that bone getting weeker, so kindly suggest whether it is good to take Hadjod tablets of himalaya drugs please…

16. Joseph says:

Dear sir I’ve read this herb is safe, can I take it daily? I am vata/kapha

17. M lakshmanrao says:

one must take pre-caution while taking the plant raw product in. I took a half inch pieces two numbers when it half fried. I had lot of inconvenience after taking those pieces. I felt that I swallowed small needles inside and they penetrates through my tongue and throat. It subsided after 1 1/2 hour when I took citrigin tab

18. Prakash says:

I am suffering from grade 1 forward slip at L5 and disc between L4 and L5 , L5 and s1 got herniated . What should I do how to use ? Which ayurveda medicine need to use. Is hadjod is useful or shall I take any other

For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.
      If you want my help in finding a good Ayurveda doctor for you, then let me know your place.

For email advice (not a reliable option, we do not promise any cure), please write to our health experts here (paid service) – https://easyayurveda.com/consult/

19. Amandeep says:

Hello,

Three months back i met with a bike accident due to which, there was complete tear of my ACL. Recently, i had undergone my ACL Surgery and I am at bed rest right now and undergoing rehab process for the same.
    Request you to please suggest some good supplement for faster recovery of my ACL so that I can go back to my physical activities again. Whether i should consume Cissus or Hadjod Tablest or not.??

Hi, you can consume Hadjod tablets.
      For further personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

20. Hello doctor I am 78 years old suffering from 4 the stage osteo arthritis, I am having severe knee pain, hip joint pain in both legs. I took pain quit, hadjod, shallaki tablets . Please advice whether I should continue with that or any other medicine is advisable to treat osteo arthritis. I don’t have BP, or diabetes problem. I am unable to walk even 1 km. Earlier used to walk 5-6 Kms. Please advice

21. dear sir, i am suffering with cervical spondylosis. can i use the himalaya hadjod tablets. how many months i can use. pls. inform. thanking you sir,

regards,
    kumar

Yes. You can use it for 2 months time.
      For further personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

22. sir, suffering with cervical spondylosis. can i take hadjod tablets. how many days i can use this medicine. pls. inform me sir, thanking you sir,

best regards,
    kumar

Yes. 1 tablet 2 times a day. Available in amazon website here

For further personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

23. Dear doctor my sister is 60 years old spinster. She isunder dialysis for nearly 16 years. For the last one month she was not able to take food because of the soreness in the mouth. She lost weight .Her joints are painful. She finds it difficult to fold hre fingers. For the last 2 days I I I am applying Pinda thailamto her.
    Please suggest some medicine for the soreness of the mouth and for the joint. thank you doctor

Hi, please see a few home remedies for mouth soreness here – easyayurveda.com/2015/10/07/mouth-ulcers/

Rheumat liniment — to apply 2 – 4 times a day over the painful areas. Available in amazon website here –

For further personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

24. Nitin Panwar says:

Sir I am suffering from golfers elbow for last 4 months. I have done all allopathy homeopathy but relief is minimal kindly suggest some treatment please

For further personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

25. Sir James says:

Dr, what is the half life of Cissus Quadrangularis when taking 500-1000 mg capsules? Via hepatic or renal clearance? Do you find that cissus is estrogenic and therefore may cause night sweats in males age 45 and therefore anxiety? I use cissus for a right knee tendon sprain. It gives anxiety which is relieved when taken with fenugreek herb. Vit d3 in moderation, 1000 units/day, also helps the early morning sweating, i live in cold climate in canada and heat in house is not high, 60 degrees fahrenheit at most.

Hi,
      Its half life is unknown.
      Its ethanol extract is estrogenic. But I have not found it causing night sweats or anxiety in men.

26. My mom is suffering from severe back and hip pain. Kindly note that she is a diabetics patient. Can she consume Himalayas Hadjod capsule? Is it okay for a diabetics patient to consume this capsule?

Yes she can take hadjod capsule – 1 capsule 2 times a day after food for a month time.
      It is okay for diabetics to take this.
      For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

27. Giridhari das says:

Dear Dr. My wife broke 5th metacarpal. Have hadjod in garden. Which is best method for improved healing of the fracture? Bengali friends recommend external paste compress. Would internal use, plus poultice be more effective.?

28. Geeta Shah says:

Sir my mother is 83 years and had TKR on 30.11.2011. On 4.12.2011 she had a slight slip and had distal femur. Again on 5.12.2011 operated for distal femur fracture by plating and bed rest for 8 months. Thereafter walking on walker up to 23.04.2014. On swelling took X ray and found plate broken. Another operation and new plate fixed.
    On 9.01.2015 on pain on the operation side X ray reveled that the second plate fixed has slipped with screw broken.
    I read about Hadjod can I apply that.

Hi, Hadjod capsule – 1 capsule in the morning, after food can be beneficial for her, for 1 month time.
      Available in amazon website here

For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

29. Narisha says:

Hi my mom had a fungal infection on her finger and due to the severity of the infection, her finger nail had to be removed. She’s in severe pain every night. She’s unable to consume pain medication as it has an adverse effect to her tummy because she has IBS. Can the Hadjor be used to help ease pain? Preferably to be used externally. Your response will be highly appreciated.

Hi, if the fungal infection / nail removal place is completely healed then you can apply mahanarayana taila over the place, 2 times a day.
      Available in amazon website here

30. Bhoomi goyal says:

I have bone pain.. Nd its vry difficult for me to climb stairs. My bones are very weak. Can i consume the tablets.

yes, 1 tablet at night after food for 2 months.
      For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

31. Krithika says:

Can I use sun dried Hadjod powder with water internally? Will it cause any irritation internally or do I have to process and consume it?

You can take 2 grams of powder with water, in the morning, after food for 2 month time. Usually it does not cause any irritation.

32. Dear Dr Hebbar
    Can a patient use hadjod who is having osteophytes in L3 L4 L5 vertebral bodies and Scaralization of L5 Vertebral bodybody

33. bhola shrestha says:

I have cronic gastrics so I cannot take nsaid
    pain killer.I have also tailbone fracture from
    2months.can I take hadjod capsules orally?

Yes, 1 capsule 2 times a day after food for 1 month
      Available in amazon website here

For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.