Triphala Home Remedy For Eye Care

Triphala is one of the most common ingredient in many eye care products. Triphala is one of the safest of Ayurvedic products. It contains three fruits.
Haritaki – Terminalia chebula
Vibhitaki – Terminalia bellirica
Amla – Indian Gooseberry

Today let us learn a simple home remedy for eye care using Triphala powder, ghee and honey.
Triphala Eye care

To Whom it helps?
It would help anyone who has repeated eye disorders like dryness of eyes, irritation, redness, itching sensation, burning sensation etc.
It also helps to some extent in people with vision power related issues.

What you need?
Triphala Churna (powder) – half teaspoon
Honey –  8-10  drops
Ghee – 3 – 4 drops.

How to make?
Mix all the three in a bowl thoroughly to make a paste.

How to take?
Take the paste along with water at night, after food.

How long to take?
It can be taken for 2 – 3 months or even longer. It is traditionally told as something that can be taken on daily basis for a long period of time.

Any contra indications?
It is best to avoid this during pregnant mothers and children below 5 years of age.

Can Triphala tablets be used in place of powder?
Nope. Traditionally powder is told as ingredient in this home remedy.

Dr JV Hebbar is an Ayurveda Doctor, Assistant Professor, From Mangalore, India. Click here to consult Dr Hebbar

Comments

1. Sandeep says:

Thank you for this wonderful information. It will be particularly useful for those sitting in front of the computer all day.
    Washing the eyes with Triphala – some seem to recommend this in the mornings. Would you concur?
    Also, is there any way of correcting the vision (like Short sightedness and long sightedness) through applications of medicated ghees?

1. welcome :)
      2. You mentioned, what I forgot. It is absolutely useful for people using computers for long hours.
      3. Triphala water eye wash in the morning is just fine.
      4. Some do Tarpana treatment (an eye treatment) with Triphala Ghrita (Triphala ghee). Along with that, some eye exercises should help in correcting the vision to some extent.

2. Hello Doctor,
    The way you explain and present each article with picture is very nice…!!

3. My son is having watery eye problem and complains to light sensitivity… Thanks for posting this , I have all the ingredients I will try this for my child

Reduce the dose a bit, for the kid. may be – half a teaspoon of Triphala should be good.

4. Dear Doctor,

Can this be taken during nursing a baby?
    My sister has had redness during her pregnancy it went off and now again it has recured. The doctors are not sure of what it is but they have labeled as episcleritis. She is currently having gatifloxocin ( also elaneer kuzhambu twice a day for the last 10 days which has helped her better than the antibiotics for a while now).

Please let me know

REgards,
    Prajeeth

It can be taken in a dose of one teaspoon (small spoon) at night, for nursing mother. But because it has astringent properties, I would recommend, it once in two days, rather than daily.
      If the condition does not improve, please consider visiting an Ayurveda doctor.

5. Hello Doctor: In one of your previous articles, ghee and honey cannot be mixed was mentioned?is this right
    Is this OK in this remedy and would you please elaborate the reason ?
    Also I heard triphala ghee is good for eyes? Could you please comment on it or refer me to your article

1. Honey and ghee should not be mixed in equal quantity. Reason – they are just incompatible in equal quantities. Why and how? Research is to be done on this. But they can be used together. There are many instances where they are used together in Ayurveda. Chyawanprash is easily the most famous example.
      2. Triphala ghee is also good for eyes. Read more about it here – http://ayurmedinfo.com/2012/02/20/triphala-ghrita-benefits-dosage-how-to-use-side-effects-ingredients-reference/

• Hello Doctor,

I read your post on Amla & now on Triphala.. Its really nice to see your response for all lots of query… I love they way you are serving peoples.. Always keep it on..!

I have a question on how to consume “Triphala” every day to result in weight loss..

Thank you for your precious time..

Dear Ganesh, Triphala Churna – 1 teaspoon with honey at night can be taken for a period of 2 months as a weight loss remedy.
          Thanks for your kind appreciation.

• yes Doctor, even I heard about the same that honey and ghee in equal quantities makes it like poison…… is it true?

Hi, as per Ayurveda reference, this combination in equal amount is not good to take.

6. Thank you Doctor

7. My mother is having diabetes since last 3.5 years. she lost her left eye due to retinopathy & the right eye is also having weak sight. Allopathic doctors are saying that it is irreversible. Can you please suggest any medicine or will this preparation will be useful for her?

Hi, I am doubtful of even Ayurvedic treatment in your mother’s case. Please consult an Ayurveda hospital once.

8. I am a 29yr old female with no kids at the moment. I had purchased triphala suppliments (capsules) but someone told me not to take them because it is not good for my body since I currently do not have kids and taking them might cause me not to conceive. Is this true? This person comes from an ayurvedic family and also said that Triphala is only taken by women who are going through menopause. Please help to clarify these concerns. Thank you!

Triphala contains an ingredient called Haritaki. Long term use of Haritaki is not recommended. It is safe to take for 2 – 3 months, if you are normal. It does not affect sexual health just within that time.
      It is not true that this should be taken only by women.

• Dear Doctor,

in the above comment its written that it is safe to take for 2-3 months. Is this comment only for women?

because in the post above

How long to take?

So is this recommended to take long period of time because of haritaki?

Regards,
        Prajeeth

See the dose is very very low, only half a teaspoon. With that dose, it can be taken on a daily basis for a very long period of time. If taking it for long is not an option for someone, 2 – 3 months usage is also good.

• I am taking 1 teaspoon daily with water doctor so that it would help me as a immuniser, so wanted a confirmation if its okay

perfectly fine. Make sure that the quality of the product is good.

9. very informative. However I am afraid of trifla as Amla and Bahedareates both creat constipation. Only Harad is good for constipation.. I am using Honey but not ghee and get good results.

10. I have read this article again. I am convinced if triphla churan is used with honey at night will not be constipative. It wiil be rather immunitive. In small quantity it could be used for longer periods giving break from time to time. I had read that trifla removes many many diseases but was afraid of constipative nature.Mixing of Honey would be wonderful.

11. Is Triphala powder mixed with Ghee and taken with lukewarm milk early in the morning on empty stomach also similarly suggested for good eye health / prevention of eye ailments such as cataract or removal of eye glasses? I read about this remedy somewhere, hence would like to know…particularly since I might want to avoid honey.

12. Dear Sir,
    Thanks for the information
    the actual problem is watering eye means that the tear duct of eye to nose which help to drain the water released from the eye that duct is closed so u get water from eye
    is their any solution for this problem pl. help me to do
    regards
    Raghavenda

13. M.K.Rangachar says:

It is wonderful can diabebetic patient use honey and ghee

14. Hi,
    I have a doubt,In your other article you said that we should not consume water along with ghee and honey eventhough in unequal amounts….pls enlighten…
    THNX

Hi we are not mixing honey ghee and water here. We are only taking home ghee along with triphala. Honey and ghee are mixed in unequal quantities. Only if the patient feels like drinking water then only he can take water after having this remedy.

15. Had a few questions:
    1) How long after food should this be taken? Any minimum gap?
    2) If one has a headache (either due to Vata and/or Pitta aggravation), is it still okay to take this remedy as is?
    3) Can Crocin be taken a little after this remedy?

Write your opinion about this article