Manjishta – Rubia cordifolia – benefits, usage, Dose, Side Effects

Manjishta is a famous herb for blood detoxifying. Is root is extensively used in many skin disease medicines of Ayurveda. It is called as Indian Madder in English. It is used in many oral Ayurvedic medicines and in Ayurvedic oils for skin conditions as well.

Manjishta - Rubia cordifolia

Botanical name – Rumbia cordifolia Linn.
Family – Rubiaceae
Bengali name – Manjishta
Gujarathi name, Hindi name – Manjeeth
Tamil name – Manjitti
Telugu name – tamravalli
Kannada name – Raktamanjishte
Malayalam name – Manjetti
Arabian name – Phuvva
Farsi name – Runas

Sanskrit synonyms:
Vikasa, Yojanavalli, Jingi, Samanga, Lohitalata, Bhandiri, Raktanga, Vastrabhushana, Kalameshi, Lata
Vastraranjini – it imparts red colour to cloth

Classical categorization:
Charaka samhita –
Jvarahara – herbs that relieve fever
Varnya – herbs that are good for skin, improves complexion
Vishaghna – anti toxic, anti poisonous herbs
Sushruta – Priyangvadi and Pittasamshamana (Pitta calming) group of herbs
Vagbhata – Priyangvadi group of herbs

Distribution – It is found in hilly areas of India. It is also cultivated in many places.

Rubia cordifolia medicinal qualities:
Guna (qualities) – Guru (Heavy to digest), Rooksha (dry)
Rasa – Tikta (bitter), Kashaya (astringent), Madhura (sweet)
Vipaka (taste conversion after digestion) – Katu (pungent)
Veerya (potency) – Ushna (hot)
Effect on Tridosha – Kaphapittashamaka – Balances Kapha and Pitta
It is mainly Pittahara.
Because it mitigates Pitta, it is useful in diseases of the tissues where Pitta is involved. Such as skin (wounds, skin diseases) and eyes.

Manjishta - Rubia cordifolia

Svarakrut – improves voice
Varnakrut – improves skin complexion
Useful in the treatment of
Visha –toxic conditions, poisoning
Shotha – inflammatory conditions
Yoniruk – gynaecological disorders
Karnaruk – ear pain
Akshiruk – eye pain
Raktatisara – diarrhea with bleeding
Kushta – skin diseases
Asra – blood vitiation
Visarpa – Herpes, spreading skin disease
Vrana – injuries
Meha – diabetes and urinary tract disorders
Netramaya – eye disorders

Part used: Root

Dose
Powder – 1 – 3 grams
Kashaya – 20 – 50 ml in divided doses or as directed by Ayurvedic doctor

Home remedy with Rubia cordifolia –
Herbal face pack

Ayurvedic medicines with Manjishta:
Maha Manjishtadi Kashaya – used for skin diseases and for blood purification.
Kumkumadi oil– Famous oil for skin glow and quality improvement
Maharaja Prasarini Tailam – A peculiar oil used in neurological conditions, administered orally and also externally (massage).
Panchatikta Guggulu Ghrita – A ghee used in abscess, sinus treatment etc

Indian madder side effects:
There are no known side effects. It can be used in children and lactating mothers in small quantities. Seek medical guidance for its use during pregnancy.

The product links are affiliate. Do not follow given advice, without consulting your doctor.

Comments

1. how to use Varnya – improves complexion at home what is the hindi and sanskrit name of varnya

Hi, there are many herbs with the synonym Varnya. Manjishta, Sandalwood, turmeric are a few . You can make a paste with powder of Manjishta and apply it to the face, leave for 5 minutes and wash off.

• Hi…its Vineet from Delhi..I have read so many safety issues about majeeth some articals says its very unsafe for health…and may cause cancer..,,would u please..tell me if these concerns are true or not..and does it also act as cardio protective herb…?

This herb has been used since many centuries, safely. There has been no toxic effects are reported with this medicine.

2. I thought Manjishtha is cooling but in your artical it say its potency is heating . Is cooling or heating?.

Hi, as per Bhavaprakasha and Dhanvantari Nighantu, it is hot in nature. But it is a very good blood and skin detoxifier.

3. Sir, It is not available at local pharmacies in raw form.Is it known by some other name at local ayurvedic shops. On asking they offer the liquid kashayam. Is it not sold just like that ? Any brand selling it in churna form ?

4. I have PMS problem with no periods at all. It happens just from tablet so taking majith will help to come periods by its own or not? If yes then how long will it take?

5. A chiropractor suggested Majith to help clear congestion in my eustachian tubes which reduced my hearing. I developed symptoms of giardiasis. When I discontinued usage the symptoms went away. The symptoms returned 2 days after I used Majith again. Is it possible I have a batch with the parasite or might it be something else.

6. Sir I have many pimples on face ,scars,and day by day my face is becoming black plz just tell me how to stop pimples and blackness of face , give advice any medicine works fastly

For personal health advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.
      If you want my help in finding a good Ayurveda doctor for you, then let me know your place.

For email advice (not a reliable option, we do not promise any cure), please write to our health expert Prof. Dr Prashanth MD (Ayu), PhD, here (paid service) –

7. Does manjishtha aid digestion

8. Sir my daughters eyebrow hairs r falling n little bit patch in head but by some ayurvedic drs consultations hairs r coming but in eyebrow portion it will cum n again fall n dr told it’s alopecia areata but came negative after taking ayurvedic medicine can I give that root by making it paste for her as I know it has to be cured in blood but how much should I give to her she is 6 now plz reply me sir

The dose and form of medicine depends on the age and health condition.
      Chyawanprash (Organic India / Kottakkal) – one small spoon in the morning, before food, with milk / tea / water. Organic India brand available in amazon website here – http://amzn.to/1WEWQNW

9. How to consume manjishta powder for clear skin? I am 38 yr old female.

Manjishta capsule – 1 capsule 2 times a day after food for 1 month and then 1 capsule at night after food for the second month, with water.
      Good quality Manjishta capsule is available in amazon website here

10. Does Manjishta help with breast reducing? If so, how should I take it.