Gotu Kola Health Benefits, Uses, Dose, Side Effects – Ayurveda Details

Gotu Kola is an ancient Indian herb, used both for culinary and therapeutic purposes. It is called as Mandukaparni in Sanskrit. But it is also used in the name of Brahmi. It belongs to Apiaceae family. Botanical name: Centella asiatica.

Gotu Kola

Hindi name: Bengsag, Brahmi
Bengali name: Thulkudi

Telugu name: Sarasvathy Aku
Tamil name: Vallari Kirai
Marathi name: Karivan, Karivana
Gujarathi name: Khanda Brahmi
Kannada name: Ondelaga soppu

Gotu Kola

Gotu Kola – Centella asiatica

Sanskrit Synonyms:
Mandukaparni – leaves resemble shape of frog
Manduki – available in moist places, similar to frogs
Sarasvati – found in watery – moist places, improves intelligence.

Classical categorization:
Charaka Samhita
Vayasthapana – Group of herbs that are used for anti aging treatment
Tiktaskandha – Bitter tasting group of herbs
Prajasthapana – Useful to protect pregnancy.
Sushruta Samhita
Titkavarga – Bitter tasting group of herbs.

Mandukparni medicinal qualities:
Rasa (Taste): Tikta (bitter)
Guna (qualities): Laghu (light to digest)
Vipaka (taste conversion after digestion): Madhura (sweet)
Veerya (potency): Sheeta (cold)
Effect on Tridosha: Balances Kapha and Pitta.
Prabhava (special effect): Medhya – improves intelligence

Gotu Kola Ayurveda uses and benefits:
Gotu Kola Ayurveda Details

It is used extensively as Rasayana – anti aging, rejuvenative.
It improves
Bala- strength
Varna – skin quality
Svara – voice strength
Agni – digestive power
Medhya – improves intelligence
It is useful in
Raktapitta – bleeding disorders like menorrhagia, nasal bleeding, bleeding per rectum etc.
Hrudya – good for heart, cardiac tonic
Kushta – skin diseases
Meha – Prameha – diabetes, urinary tract disorders
Jwara – Fever
Shwasa – Asthma, COPD, wheezing, breathing difficulty
Kasa – cough, cold
Aruchi – Anorexia, lack of interest in taking food
Smrutiprada – improves memory
Vishahara – Useful in treating poisoning
Shothahara – relieves inflammation

Part used: : Whole plant
Dosage: Gotu Kola juice extract: 10 – 30 ml,
Powder – 3 – 6 grams.
Gotu kola extract is used in a dose of 60 – 180 mg to relieve venous insufficiency (to improve blood circulation)

Gotu Kola side effects:
Its over-dosage may cause drowsiness. Hence, people taking sedatives (to aid sleep), if they take Gotu Kola, may feel excessively sleep. Hence, if you are using Gotu Kola regularly, then consider consulting your doctor for reduction in sedatives dosage.
It is considered safe during pregnancy and lactation. But it is best to use this herb under medical supervision.

How to use Gotu Kola?  Fresh juice extract of the green Gotu Kola leaves is used in Ayurveda. Gotu kola leaves are also used in many Indian Chutneys. Its dry herb powder is also used. Nowadays, tablets and capsules of Gotu kola is also available. Gotu Kola can be given to children, and elderly.

Recent research on Gotu Kola benefits –   Gotu kola is an effective herb against depression. Gotu Kola is rich in anti oxidants  like superoxide desmutase. reference Gotu Kola is known to have healing effect over of gastric ulcers.

Ayurvedic medicine with Gotukola as ingredient:
As mentioned previously, it is often used in place of Brahmi.
It is an ingredient of
Karimbirumbadi Kashayam – used in jaundice, anorexia etc.
Brihat Guduchi Taila – used in gout, arthritis etc.

Dr JV Hebbar is an Ayurveda Doctor, Assistant Professor, From Mangalore, India. Click here to consult Dr Hebbar

Comments

1. Can you also write article on Bacopa monnieri?

2. Hello DR.

Nice article. I was giving my son brahmi rasayan, he is 15 months. Can you let me know the dosage

Hello,
      Thanks. The general dose for kids is just one teaspoon in the morning or at night. It depends on doctor’s analysis and prescription.
      Read more about Brahmi Rasayan

3. OM PRAKASH says:

Hello Dr.HEBBARJI,

Thank you for the article reg. GOTU KOLA.
    We are having the plant in our compound, can we have a leaf per head daily?

OMPRAKASH.

4. Hello doctor,
    Thank for the information about this herb.
    But the issue is this herb Centella asiatica, indian pennywort, gotu kola, hydrocotyl asiatica, brahma booti is also known as Brahmi (bacopa is also known as brahmi). Many indian phamacies uses this herb as Brahmi or use Bacopa monneri as Brahmi. I am from gujarat where they call this herb as brahmi. I have inattentive addult adhd w/o hyperactivity and/or w/o impulsiveness with GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder). I was taking Mandukaparni by Himalaya before 3 years with the dosage of 2 capsules twice a day and it was wonderfull which was helping with my most symptoms including anxiety. But before 3 years they discontinued it due to vast demand of gotu kola outside of India. With my case brahmi (bacopa monneri) is not helping at all. Now in india brahmi is shared name which is used for both this mandukaparni and bacopa.
    Sir I want you to help me with this. Do you know which pharmacy uses this gotu kola as brahmi for their capsules and/or sigle herb tablets?
    Can I get brahmi extracts from pharmacies of Gujarat ? Please let me know company name which perticullary use this gotu kola as Brahmi not bacopa monneri
    Thanks a lot in advance doctor.
    Regards,
    Manav

Hi Manav, If you had so much benefits with Gotu Kola, you can easily grow it in a pot. Only thing is, it requires continuous watering.
      As per my knowledge, Organic India sells Gotu Kola in the name of Brahmi http://www.healthkart.com/product/organic-india-brahmi-capsules/

• Hello,
        Thank you Doctor. By the way I have had 2 keloids since my childhood, and after taking mandukaparni of himalaya 250 mg extracts 2 capsules twice a day for my ADD, I relalized after a month that one of my keloid has completely been disappeared/dissolved, which was such a wonder for me!
        Anyways doctor thank you once again. I will buy Organic India Brahmi (350 mg) capsules, How many should i’ve to take as it’s not extracts but organic herb powder in compare to Himalaya madukaparni which was 250 mg extracts per capsule?
        And i have planned to grow gotu kola at my home, i bought already from nursory they call it brahmi here.
        Manav

Hi, If you have found benefits with Himala Mandukaparni, then do not change it to Organic India Brahmi. Please continue with Mandukaparni itself.

• Hello Doctor

I’m using this to get benefit of rejuvenate and sexual dysfunction. It is working as a very good erector too. Hope you will agree with my points. Before go to bed i take a small amount of cut leaf stored in my refrigerator. If any side effect if i take continuously, Kindly let me know.

Regards
            SCR

Hi, there are no known side effect with its long term usage.

5. Hello doctor,

Very informative site. Thank you for sharing all this information. Can you please tell me if it is okay to have 30ml of Brahmi juice on a daily basis – for general health? Or should it be taken thrice a week? My uric acid level is a bit high and I have just started medication for the same. Other than that health is mostly okay, but I am slightly anemic. Am taking iron supplements for the same.

As a general supplement, for a healthy person, I would suggest to take only 5 ml of Brahmi Juice extract once or twice a day. I presume you have consulted a doctor for the rest of your health issues. Regards.

6. Can gotu kola powder be taken with milk? If this is taken in morning, how much maximum dose is best to avoid drowsy effect?

Does it aggravate Vata?

a 500 mg capsule in the morning or 1 gram of root powder, along with milk in the morning should not produce any sedative effect. It does not aggravate Vata.

7. Does it have any fatigue effect too along with sedative effect?

Write your opinion about this article