If you had less sleep last night, and today you’re feeling sleepy all the time, then there is reason to believe that it is quite normal. But if you feel sleepy during daytime, everyday then there is a problem in the body or mind which needs to be fixed.
Feeling sleepy all throughout the day causes many problems such as
- Lack of concentration
- Difficulty in coping with the work schedule
- Impaired digestion
- Body pain, headache, backache
- Lethargy, lack of interest
- Lack of night sleep
- Boredom, depression etc
1. Fix your sleep – awake schedule One of the big reasons for feeling sleepy during day time is, lack of proper night sleep. Make sure that you have at least 6 – 7 hours of good night sleep. Follow all sleeping etiquettes like avoiding coffee, at least three hours before sleep, keeping your room dark at bed time etc. Read more – How to sleep naturally?
2. Tamas – The negative force - If you are lethargic by nature, do not have a positive outlook towards your future, inactive person by your nature, time to change that and lead a physically and mentally active life. Include Yoga, Pranayama, prayer, reading positive self help books in your routine. More here – How to get rid of laziness
3. Stress, fear, anger, and depression – All these factors can make you dull and tempt you to avoid active life, leading to sleepiness all throughout the day. Fix your issues with relationship, duty and your responsibilities. Ask for help from friends or go for a counselling session or find answers for your emotional problems in self-help books. Get rid of depression. Read more – How hobbies can cure your depression
4. Body type - As per Ayurveda, people with Kapha body type, usually require a little more sleeping time, than others. If your Ayurvedic doctor has told that you have a Kapha body type, then consider increasing sleep period during night.
5. Age – Naturally, aged people and children require day sleep to balance the energy deficit. For them, Ayurveda recommends day sleeping to avoid feeling sleepy all the time.
6. Plan the day sleep - Certain type of people and patients require day sleep. If they avoid it, they will have sleepy feeling all the time. Learn more about it – Who needs a day sleep and how much?
7. Diet – avoid heavy meal - If you think that heavy stomach is causing sleepy feeling, then consider reducing the size of your meal / breakfast. In stead, have light food many times a day. Consult your doctor on this.
8. Digestion – People with digestive problems may have excessive sleepiness. In them, use of ginger and pepper or proper treatment for indigestion helps to resolve the issue.
9. Regular exercise – Lack of an active body and mind is route cause for many diseases, including sleepiness. Regular exercise will pump oxygen to all parts of your body. It also helps lungs to draw in more oxygen and keeps you energetic.
10. Have bright light – During daytime, keep the room sufficiently bright. Dark room or absence of light leads to melatonin secretion, which in turn leads to feeling sleepy. Hence always sit in a bright room.
11. Proper ventilation – Keep the room properly ventilated so the fresh breeze brings in refreshing energy.
12. Pranayama - breathing exercise will help you make use of available energy in a better way. Leading to energetic days.
13. Avoid alcohol and smoking - One more reason to avoid them.
14. Stimulant - small dose of coffee, tea, sugarless lemon juice, honey with luke warm water will help you keep alert and active.
15. Have fruits and water – Keep your body well nourished and hydrated. lack of nutrition leads to lack of energy, lethargy and sleepiness.
16. Sit straight and alert - Casual sitting postures, with head resting on the chair, with pillows all around, will definitely make you sleepy. How to sit straight
17. Hidden disease - Certain diseases also brings in weakness and sleepiness like diabetes, hypothyroidism, etc.C Consult your doctor for a proper analysis and appropriate treatment.
17. Ayurvedic medicines – There are a few medicines, which helps to keep you energetic and awake during the day. There are also herbs and remedies such as Ashwagandha and Brahmi, which helps you to sleep better. Consult your doctor for the right prescription.
Not always, lethargy and laziness are cause for excessive sleepiness. Success in solving this problem lies in finding out the exact solution.
Related article: 32 practical tips to sleep less.