How To Improve Immune System In Children? An Ayurvedic Method

Ayurveda explains many methods to improve immune system in children. Ashwagandha is a very important herb in Ayurvedic medicine manufacturing. Here is a very special and simple home remedy prepared with Ashwagandha, milk and clarified butter (ghee).

How to Improve immune system in children by Ashwagandha ghee?

Ingredients:
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) herb – powder – 10 grams
Cow Ghee (clarified butter) – 100 grams
Milk – 800 ml.

How to make Ashwagandha ghee

• Cow ghee is taken in a wide mouthed vessel, heated for 20 seconds.
  • Make a bolus of ashwagandha powder with water and add to ghee.
  • Add milk to ghee.
  • Continue heating till entire water portion evaporates and at the end, only the ghee remains. Filter it at the end. and preserve the ghee part. Discard the solid part.
  • Keep on stirring through out the entire procedure.
  • Make sure to take previously boiled milk for this process.
  • Make sure to take a wide mouthed vessel with lot of free space, because when milk starts boiling, it starts raising up and it may spill out.

Signs to watch at the end of the procedure:

• Quantity: At the end, approximately 80 – 100 ml of ghee only remains along with the ashwagandha herb paste.
  • Fire test: When you put ashwagandha paste into fire at the middle of the procedure, it makes sound, suggesting that there is still mositure (water) in the container. But at the end stage, the ashwagandha paste when put into fire will not make any sound.
  • Wick test: When you take ashwagandha between your fingers and try to roll, it easily gains wick form.
  • Clarity: During the procedure, there will be lot of frothing and the entire liquid turns muddy. Nearing the end, frothing stops and ghee gets clearly separated from the ashwagandha bolus.
  • Good taste, aroma and colour: During the initial stages of boiling, there will not be any appreciable aroma. But at the end, the container starts emitting typical sweet aroma of ghee and Ashwagandha.

Once after observing these signs, you need to stop heating. otherwise, the ghee will get over burnt and the entire procedure will be a waste of time.

Note: As per the precise textual reference, the proportion of Ashwagandha: ghee : milk is – 25 grams:100 grams:800 ml. But I have taken only 10 grams of Ashwagandha in place of 25 grams, because, the bulk of ashwagandha will entirely cover the volume of ghee and yield will be very very less. hence, in this herbal health care remedy, I have slightly altered the proportions.
In the video, I have used the term ghee and ghrita inter-changeably. Ghee in sanskrit is Ghritam.

Benefits of Ashwagandha ghee –

• “Ghritam deyam sukumaaraanaam pushtikrut balavardhanam”
  • In Children, this Ashwagandha ghee is very beneficial in improving nourishment and body weight.
  • It also helps to improve immunity of the body.
  • Ashwagandha is a powerful anti oxidant herb.
  • This Ghritam preparation contains both water and fat soluble phytochemicals of Ashwagandha in the medium of ghee.
  • Ashwagandha is a proven herb to improve muscle strength and bulk.
  • Ashwagandha improves mental strength and concentration.
  • According to Ayurveda, ghee and milk are aslo important for the children and help in improving immunity and nourishment.
  • Ayurveda says that regular intake of ghee and milk is a way to achieve natural rejuvenation.
  • This ghee can also be given to elders to improve immunity.

Contra indication:

• Obese children.
  • During cold infection and fever, it is better to avoid this ghee. Once after the infection period is gone, this ghee can be continued.

Dose:
For children above the age of 1 year – half teaspoon in the morning, with warm water, before food.
Please feel free to let me know for any doubts.

How long to take?
For upto 6 – 8 weeks, excluding rainy seasons or when the kids have cold or fever.

Related articles
Details of manufacturing process of Ayurvedic ghee
Your child does not eat well?

The product links are affiliate. Do not follow given advice, without consulting your doctor.

Comments

1. suryakrishnamurthi says:

Excellent and surely a timely introduction to save the community from squandering on readymade tabs of the other system of medicines

2. Thanks for the valuable information. My 2yr old son goes to bathroom after every meal. Can I give this to him. Please advice. Thanks – Srini.

Yes it can be given. But for the specific -repeatedly visiting bathroom, consider visiting doctor once.

3. Can Ayurveda treat & cure allergic rhinitis (sneezing, runny nose, itchy eyes) caused due to dust allergy?

4. Once Ashwagandha ghee is prepared how long it can be stored? And also is there any process in storing the ghee?

Once it is prepared, it can be stored anywhere between 4 months to one year. If the atmosphere has moisture, it might undergo rancidity in about four months. It should be stored in clean, dry area away from moisture or direct sun light, in air tight container.

5. Is this remedy allowed and helpful for adults as well?

6. what can i do if my son dislikes it he iz very fussy for how many months

Hi, it will be better to consult an Ayurveda doctor in person. Proper evaluation, home remedies / good medicines to improve memory and concentration should help your son.

7. For some reason the Ashwagandha sold in capsules here in US has a very dark brown color instead of the light brown color of the ashwagandha root. (It is also much finer.) Is this color normal or is it a sign of some chemical processing that is best avoided?

Also, is there a difference between dosage of “standardized extract” vs. just simply home made ashwagandha root powder?

Thank you.

• Tasted the Churana (Baba Ramdev) like the one in your video for the first time today. And now having tasted it, the powder in the capsules is much more bitter/concentrated + different tasting compared to this Churana. Is this expected? I’ve tried capsules of several brands – all of them have this bitterness+dark brown color. Do they process the root with chemicals after grinding?

Hi,
        1. Original Ashwagandha churna is brownish white to white in colour. It is bitter to taste. But if it is processed in milk, it is kind of sweetish bitter.
        2. After boiling in milk, the Ashwagandha powder can be filtered out.
        3. I do not know what different brands do with Ashwagandha while selling it in capsule form. Ideally, it should be plain ashwagandha powder in capsule form.

The dark brown colour must have been standardized extract. Its dose is usually lesser than the home made ashwagandha powder.
      I will write in detail about advantages and disadvantages at both the versions of the herb in the near future. But from an Ayurveda perspective, when a doc prescribes ashwagandha, he means the home made ashwagandha powder and not the extract of it.

8. What is the reason that Ashwagandha ghee is contra indicated during cold infection and fever?

Can Ashwagandha in milk continue to be taken during a viral (flu) attack to help sustain against the weakness and body aches and also to fight the attack? If not, what would be the best anti-viral herbs and/or home remedies to help recover from viral attack (since antibiotics might not really help)?

9. Can this also be made with Brahmi+Gotu Kola+ Shankpushpi+Aswagandha mix as in this supplement http://blog.organicindiausa.com/earth-dais/an-introduction-to-the-joy-formula/ ?
    I want ot give it to a child who won’t eat the capsule but I could sneak into warm milk or make a tea and add to fruit juice. Thanks!

Hi, it can be made with the said ingredients.
      You can take the four herbs, a total quantity of 2 teaspoon add it to a cup of milk (pre boiled). – Then boil it for two minutes, filter and administer. The same way, you can make it with water as well.
      If you are making it with milk, the effect will be better. But you cannot give fruit juice immediately after giving his milk drink. There should be minimum 30 minutes gap between milk remedy and fruit juice.

10. Hi, just one doubt, when the entire water part is evaporated,how to filter it to part it with the solid!!

Hi, when the total water part is evaporated, we end up with liquid ghee and the solid part (of Ashwagandha).
      So, that needs to be filtered, to obtain Ashwagandha ghee. Watch the video. You may get a better idea.

11. Hi sir ,this is soumya. For how long can this ashawagandha ghee can be given to 3 year old children. Pls reply. Thank you.

12. Hello Sir, You said Aswagandha is useful for conception for ladies…when to take aswagandha…whether to take in follicular phase, ovulation or leutal phase

Hi, As a general uterine tonic and to regularize hormones, Ashwagandha can be used throughout menstrual cycle.
      Ashwagandha increases estrogen, hence useful in follicular phase.
      It is also very useful to relieve adrenal fatigue. Adrental fatigue lowers progesterone. Hence, It is also useful in luteal phase.
      If there is low estrogen levels, then Ashwagandha along with Shatavari during follicular phase is useful.
      But it is better to consult your doctor for the right medicines.
      Read more about Ashwagandha here – http://easyayurveda.com/2014/06/22/ashwagandha-withania-somnifera-benefits-dose-side-effects/

13. Hi
    I am lubna.
    I saw ur video how to make the ghee can it be mixed in rice or roti and given to child.
    my child is 4 yrs and catches cold n cough very often.
    empty stomach in morning can be difficult so mixing in food is possible
    and any think to increase knowledge strong memory

14. Sir hi
    can this be given in food like rice or chappies
    as taking empty stomach in morning my 4 ur old son would not take

15. Sir, Can I mix the Ashwagandha powder in milk and give it to my child? Or do I have to boil it in milk for the benefits? Can I add honey too? Are there any additional benefits to give with ghee? If so can I just add ghee and ashwangandha powder to milk and drink it?

16. Hello Sir,

Is Ashwagandha Ghee(Ghritam) is available in market?
    If Yes which brand should we use?

17. Hello Sir, I made this successfully with the help of your video. Will give to both my kids.
    I have a question – what to do with the khoya that is left behind? Can it be used in any way?

• Dr Malini Bhat says:

Dear Madam, Khoya has a gamut of health benefits too, starting with the calcium content that promotes strong bones and reduces the risk of osteoporosis, to being a good source of riboflavin, Vitamin A and Vitamin B12. However, as is common knowledge, care should be taken as excessive consumption of this dairy product could lead to weight gain.

Can be made into any sweet items only and no other usage of it.

18. Hello Sir, I successfully made this ghee using your helpful video. Will give to both my children. I have a question – can the khoya that is left behind be used in any way?

19. Above it is advised to give ashwagandha to children for 4-6 weeks. Say, if I stop giving it after 6 weeks. When can I start giving it again?

20. Amit Todi says:

From were I can get the pure Aswagandha

21. Amit Todi says:

I made the ghee But lastly it get thick(Looks like Thick Rabri) as not like shown in the video.Is it useable

Hi, please heat it for 2 – 5 more minutes. The thick rabri will dissolve and give out pure ghee. The sold waste particles will get separated. Please wait for that.

22. Hi Sir,

My 4 year old daughter gets cold and bad night cough almost every month. Is this ghee useful for boosting her immunity?? Is it okay to give it to kids during summers ??

Thanks.

23. Amit Todi says:

FInally succeed in preparing..But as my son dislikes i am give a drop of honey in it and after some peices of Kismis and Munnaka in his mouth..is it ok..

24. Sir I have a doubt , I want to know the dose that can be given to a 14 year boy , his immune system is not strong he gets cold anytime even in summers , and he is skinny but not too much his wight is 40kg around , I want to increase his wieght and hight both , can ashwagandha be given to cure all that , reply as soon as possible

25. Hi Dr…
    i want to Eat Ashwagandha Powder Can you please tell me about Dose of Ashwagandha and Also which brand is best for Ashwagandha

26. Keshavi@28 says:

Can I give ashwaghandha powder to 3 year old boy

Yes, it could be given if the doctor has suggested. Half a gram at night with a cup of milk.
      For further advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.
      For email advice, please write to our health experts here (paid service) – http://easyayurveda.com/consult/

27. Sir is it good to give shatavari to boys of 8 to 10 years and if yes then for how much time…?

Depends on purpose. Usually it is safe to give 2 grams of Shatavari with a cup of milk at night after food for 2 months time.

28. Hello sir my son is 33 months old he gets Cold an flu very often from last 1 month even 4 times in one month he got cold and I wanted to boost his immunity can I give him ashwagandha powder in boiled milk and then strain an give it to him is that beneficial for him. Can I do that and where do I can buy this powder I lives in Australia.

29. Nishant Makwana says:

I want to give ashwagandha power to my 4 year old child. But I dont think he will take this kind of mixture. Can I add 1 gm of ashwagandha churna in milk with bornvita, twice daily and give it to him?

30. My 3 year old child don’t like milk so any other way to give him ashwagandha powder with any mixture?

31. Hlo dr,my son is 2 and half year old,can I give him ashawgandha powder but one thing is that he has a mouth ulcer,is that any problem to him.is ashawgandha is hot????pls giveme a answer.