After Delivery Care Of Mother For First Three Months By Ayurveda

The first three months after delivery is very important for the mother. During this period, the expanded uterus shrinks back to normal position, ligaments, muscles and tendons associated with uterus start gaining back the lost power. Mother also recovers back the mental strength, which will be a bit low in the first week after delivery.

post partum mother care

First week after delivery:

We have learnt in detail about care of mother in the first week after deliver.

Ayurvedic Post Natal Care – The First Week After Delivery

Ayurvedic post natal care based on season and place

The following explanation is further to the first week care.

1. Oil massage and hot water bath – should be continued for next 2 to 3 months. Oils preferred are – Balaswagandhadi Taila, Ksheerabala taila or Bala taila. It helps to strengthen the lower back, hip area, bones, muscles and ligaments.

Affiliate link: Click to buy Balaswagandhadi taila from USA or any other part of the world.

2. Lumbar belt –
Using an abdomen belt with moderate pressure at least for 4 – 5 hours a day helps to strengthen back, supports uterus and ligaments.

Rest – While mild walking is quite ok, rigorous work, heavy weight lifting is totally discouraged. It leaves the uterine muscles and tendons weak. Uterine prolapse during post mid life is linked to improper after delivery care of mother and rest.

Ayurvedic medicines:

Ayurveda explains different Ayurvedic products based on the need of the mother. Here is a general bird view regarding a few basic Ayurvedic products. Consult your Ayurvedic doctor for suitable suggestion. Self medication will be dangerous.

As a general rule, Dashamoolarishtam is advised for initial couple of months. It helps to relieve pain and inflammation. It also boosts immunity and keeps most of the infections at bay.

Jeerakarishtam is advised especially for mothers during winter and rainy season. It helps to keep the body warm due to its hot nature. It also helps induce normal lactation.

Shatavari Gulam is usually advised to achieve overall hormonal balance. It also helps to improve lactation.

Balanta Kada – number 1 – 3 is often prescribed by a few doctors. Each one in successive months.

Note: All the products are not advised together. usually doctor chooses permutation and combination of medicines based on symptoms in the mother.

Commonly used herbs:
Musta – Nut grass –
It helps to improve breast milk production and also relieves milk duct clogs. Its paste is made with water and applied over breasts to relieve inflammation and to improve lactation. If the baby has mild fever or diarrhea, a water decoction of this herb is made and administered to the mother.

Shatavari – A teaspoon of powder is mixed with a cup of milk and boiled. It is administered for a period of 5th day to 3 – 4 months to improve breast milk production. Apart from improving breast milk, it is also useful to calm the mind (useful in post partum depression). It assists in normal involution of uterus as well.

Diet:
She can have all the warm foods and freshly made hot dishes.
Avoid ice creams and excess oily foods.

Dr JV Hebbar B.A.M.S, MD (Ayu), is an Ayurveda Doctor. Click here to consult Dr Hebbar

Comments

1. nice blog and good work in the field of ayurveda dr hebbar.
    ayurcure

2. Good information. If every female takes this treatment after delivery more than 70 % female common diseases may prevent.

3. Sowmya Vijayakumar says:

Can this lumbar belt be helpful in the situation for the person where the stool is generated (especially in the evening) but there is a lack of pressure to push it out rather than straining in the toilet leading to Piles?

It might not be useful as a pressure source for bowel evacuation. Including fiber rich diet ( bran, cauliflower, cabbage, berries, green leafy vegetables, Celery, squash, beans, mushroom oranges.) and having warm water frequently during the day should help in easing the bowels.

4. Where exactly abdomen belt should tie?

5. Sudharsini says:

Dr, unfortunately I landed on your web site late and very late on this article.But I Thank God for coming across such a wonderful Doctor virtually!Now its two and half years over after my delivery, can I take any of the above mentioned Ayurvedic medicine to prevent mid life prolapse of Uterus?

Hi, thanks for your kind words of appreciation. I would rather recommend taking Ashwagandharishtam – 10 ml mixed with 10 ml of water, at night for four months, as a general tonic to have improved strength and stamina.

6. Hi doctor, it is a very informative article for a expecting mother.I am a mother of 1.5 year old breastfeeding daughter.Which tonic should I use to enhance my immunity, stamina and further successful breastfeeding?
    Sir, can we take shatavari and ashwagandha together and in what amount.
    Regards.

Shatavari alone is good enough. – 2 grams of powder along with a cup of milk, once or twice a day, for a period of 2 months should be good.
      Even 1 gram Ashwagandha can be mixed with it

7. sudharsini says:

Thank you doctor for the reply!

8. I have read all the articles about post natal mother care.All are wonderful.At present I am doing the same in US to my daughter.Iam giving dasamula rasayanam,sowbhagya Sunti,and shatavari Guda.In food I am giving methi,dill,and leafy vegetables adding pepper,Sunti mixed with jaggery along ghee is giving,Abdomen belt is followed” I am doing oil massage with gingily.Are these things correct Dr, My daughter has hemorrhoid problem,kindly suggest some remedi. With regards,Padma rangachar

You seem to be doing all correct. For hemorrhoid, Triphala churna – 3 grams with water / buttermilk at night after food should be good. If symptoms do not improve even after 2 weeks, please consult a doctor directly.

9. Nice suggestion

10. Very informative article.
    Is there anything you would suggest for back pain after csection?

11. I found the article very useful. I had my delivery 22days back. Now I have urine infection, infection in my stitches and light fever every evening. Am taking antibiotics. I am breastfeeding but don’t really feel hungry. As a result of all this I feel really low n depressed.

Hi, till the time the infection is totally brought under control, please follow your doctor’s advice obediently.

12. I was just searching in Google ,thank god found this site please let me know if balantha kada works after 2 1/2 months of delivery . Please suggest I have the bottles number 1,2,3. My son had jaundice for first month so was not able to take the medicine .
    My mother was asking to take now , my son is 2 months 10 days.

Thanks in advance

Hi, yes it works after 2.5 months of delviery.
      Use the number 3 – for next 2 months.

13. I was unaware of all this in my first pregnancy n at my mother’s home also I didn’t take much rest n care so I have my abdomen bulge, my convert is if I follow all this in my second delivery. N tie lumbar belt also can I be alright. ..?

Yes. You will have your chance to aim at better health after your second delivery. All the best for that :)

14. I landed on this informative article today. I’m a breastfeeding mother of 7 month old baby delivered by C section. Have a bulging tummy and regular back ache. Can i use dashmoolaristha now and for how long? Will it enhance milk supply?

Hi, if you want to enhance milk production, then Shatavari Kalpa granules – 1 teaspoon twice a day would be better option. You can take Dasamoolarishtam as a general tonic for a couple of months. For the backache and bulging tummy, you can start exercising and diet control.

15. Geetha Vijay says:

Dear Dr. J.V. Hebbar,

I am very much impressed and very happy plus grateful to you for your selfless service of educating us with the life saving and pain saving techniques. Ayurveda being Rshiproktam, I consider myself lucky o have discovered your articles. I am a die hard fan of Ayurveda. In the absence of my Guru who guided me through and through in my Ayurvedic lifestyle, your articles come to me as a great solace. Dhanyaasmi.

I wish to get more customized tips from you. But my location(chennai) and unsuitable
    feasible conditions prevent me from doing so.

I am now 4 months pregnant and being guided by a wonderful lady ayurvedic doctor here. But I am not able to talk to her frequently and clarify my doubts.

Your articles are so very useful for me. Dhanyaasmi again.

16. k jayanthi says:

Dear sir, m nursing mother of 1 month old baby.suffering from cold n lower back pain.m cooking my own food as no one to take care of me.pls suggest what should I do for my cold n back pain
    Jayanthi bangalore

17. Sandhya says:

Hi doctor really im happy by reading these articles. Im having 3 month daughter. I felt restlessness. Can u suggest me remedy plez.

Can I take Dashamoolarishta after 3 month,is it help me.

18. vinay nair says:

thanku for giving as this information it is very help full

19. Hi. i am a mother of 2.5 month old daughter. is there any tonic to get back in good stamina and immunity because i didnt take much rest and care .now i am suffering from body pain and back pain . I am feeling week. so suggest me any syrup.

20. Dear Dr, This article is very informative. I’m now 3 weeks after delivery. My Dr gave me some ayurvedic medicines. But I wonder those medicines are not mentioned here. He gave me mahadhanwantharam gulika, vidaryadi kwatham, and gorochanadi gulika..No lehyams and arishtams were prescribed as I had gestational diabetes. I got constipation after consuming these tablets.Dr pls tell me the purpose of these tablets.

21. Nice information doctor.. Me a mother of fifteen days baby is having maha sowbhagya shunti, shatavari and chyavanaprasha lehya twice daily after meals… Is this a correct combination?

22. Hello Dr! Can I take unsweetened shatavari choorna instead of shatavari kalpa for better lactation ?

23. Pranam Dr. Which brand od Dasamoolarishta is recommended?

Sandu, AVN, AVP, Sri Sri, BV Pandit, Bhuvanendra – are the good brands that I know for this product.

Write your opinion about this article