Ayurveda has explained in detail about post natal care of mother. Seasons and place – both have their effect on mental and physical health. Keeping this in mind, Ayurveda has explained in little variations in post natal mother care.
In the last article, we learnt about basics of Ayurvedic post natal care here.
In General following diet for the mother in the first week.
1. Rice gruel mixed with a pinch of ginger and pepper.
2. Horsegram soup added with a spoon of ghee and a pinch of salt.
3. Ash gourd, and radish – fried in ghee.
4. Meat soup – Those accustomed to non veg, can have meat soup.
Post natal care based on season and place:
During winter or rainy season – in cold, moist place –
- Because of coldness, Vata and Kapha will be high. Due to this, digestion power will be low. Hence, initially, ghee is best avoided for initial 3 days.
- Instead, 2 ounce of rice is added with 12 ounce of water, boiled. The scum of this water is added with a pinch of ginger and pepper. This drink is given to mother.
- Once after digestion power is improved, ghee processed with pepper and such other spices are given.
- Ears should be kept closed
- Warm and soothing cloth are preferred.
- Diet and activities with hot qualities are preferred.
- Direct wind exposure is best avoided.
During summer and / or in dry places with high temperature.
- In such places and season Pitta and Vata is high. Hence ghee processed with long pepper etc are administered freely.
- Oil massage with Balaswagandhadi taila / Ksheerabala taila followed by hot water bath is given extra significance.
Click to buy Balaswagandhadi taila from USA or any other part of the world.