How And When To Apply Hair Oil? Ayurveda Details

Applying oil to hair is one of the ways to improve hair strength and hair quality as per Ayurvedic principles. Apart from improving hair qualities, applying hair oil also has other benefits such as – sleep improvement, calmness of mind, remedy for headache etc. Based on the desired effects, the time and method of application of hair oil changes.

when and how to apply hair oil

Method of hair oil application

How and when to apply hair oil to improve quality of hair?

If you wish to improve the quality of hair, to promote hair growth, to prevent early grey hairs, and split hairs, etc, it is better to apply hair oil at night and take warm water head bath on the next day morning.

Suppose you are taking head bath twice in a week, according to this rule, you may apply hair oil, twice a week, on the nights before the head bath day.

Applying hair oil on the day, after bath is not desirable because, the oil may attract dust over the hairs, when you go out in Sun.

But if you are at home only and love applying hair oil during day, only a minimum quantity of one teaspoon is sufficient. Apply directly to hair roots.

For the purpose of hair growth, the oil can be applied to the hair root, scalp and to the length of hair.

Some people heat the oil in water bath, before application, which is perfectly fine, provided it is only mild heat.

People with headache, red colored rashes on the scalp, people with pitta imbalance should not opt for hot oil hair treatment.

If you are accustomed to apply hair oil daily, then a little quantity of hair oil can be applied daily in the morning. As a general rule, it is better not to expose hair to direct sunlight or dust, especially after applying hair oil.

How and when to apply hair oil for dandruff -

If you are using hair oil particularly for dandruff or for scalp conditions, if the oil is processed with neem and other herbs having bitter odor, then it can be applied half to one hour before head bath.  Hot water head bath is helpful.

The oil can directly be applied to hair roots and the whole of scalp.

Oil to relieve headache -

If your Ayurvedic doctor has advised an oil for headache, then it makes sense to apply the hair oil in the evening time, around 5 – 6 pm. Because, usually the headache is associated with Vata. If we divide a day into three parts, last part is dominated with Vata. Hence, when the Vata is just getting the dominance, it makes sense to apply the oil for headache.

Hair oil for a good night sleep -

Hair oil for a good night sleep is better to apply after food at night. It will be better to do a gentle massage over head after hair oil application.

Coconut oil for people with cold and sinusitis -

Hair oils with coconut oil base may worsen sinusitis and cold in a few. If still you wish to enjoy benefits of coconut oil,  take 100 ml of the oil, add 5 grams of pepper powder to it and heat it in mild heat for five minutes and filter the oil when it is still hot. Use this oil for applying to hair.

Related article: How to make Amla hair oil?

Dr JV Hebbar is an Ayurveda Doctor, Assistant Professor, From Mangalore, India. Click here to consult Dr Hebbar

Comments

1. What are the difference between keram and thailam, and which is better for head application?

Keram is a Malayalam word meaning coconut oil. Oils prepared with coconut oil base are given the suffix ‘keram’. Example – Eladi Keram.
      Tailam, in general terms is used to indicate sesame oil base. For example, Narayana tailam is a famous Ayurvedic oil, prepared in sesame oil base.
      For head application, both Keram and tailam are used. it largely depends upon the herbal combination used to prepare the oil and your requirement such as anti dandruff, hair growth etc.

• Laxmika says:

Hello Doctor, Not sure if this question of mine is related to this article, but, I cudnt stop myself from asking. I have started getting grey hair (prematurely) in the past couple months. Now noticing it has increased many-fold. Its in the temple area above the ears. So am wondering what might be the issue and had to ask you :) Thanks again and again for all the wonderful articles on this forum. Regards

According to Ayurveda, increased Pitta, low nutritional levels, imbalanced liver enzyme secretion, hereditary are main causes for premature greying of hairs. Will write a detailed article about this. Thanks.

2. Really thanks to your posts on every article with patience,as you mentioned in hairloss i am using the Baidyanth bhrihngaraj to reduce it but its not giving good result i mean as compared with english medicines .i have been using this for 2 years some what i dissatisfied will please suggest good hair oil i can mix with Bhringhraj oil.problem to my hair loss at the frontal side due to stress and alopecia(might be)’..For your info i have article in times of india about it pls suggest among them.
    Internal use of Ayurvedic medicines like Thikthakam kashayam, Thikthakam ghritham as per medical advice are effective to correct the metabolism. Ayurvedic general tonics like Narasimha rasayanam, Chyavana prasam are effective for improving hair growth. In alopecia, due to systemic diseases, treatment of the same is also required.

Applying hair oil is just one of the method of treating hair loss problem. In most of the cases, the root cause lies in liver, in digestive system and in hereditary factors.
      To suggest an hair oil, if you can make Amla hair oil by yourself, that will be the best choice. – Read it here – http://easyayurveda.com/2012/04/18/how-to-make-hair-oil-at-home-with-amla/

For right choice of oral medicines, I suggest you to consult an Ayurvedic doctor directly for a detailed health analysis.

3. .I have dark skin only at the face mean mostly sun exposed areas due that tan and pigmentation also but my concern about hair capsules is ,has Bringha raj it property is to produce Melanin hope melanin produce skin also so if it produce melanin definately my skin become more black.that is why i am thinking about it should i use it or not? Doctor suggessted one capsule it has it , even asked doctor he dont know about it.And moreover i am using the Baidyanth Charyana prasa in daytime(before break fast).So that i can able to hair tab take one tab for day in night time.So can i use it along with chrywana prasa ?Melanin produce with Bringharaja hair capsules will produce melanin skin also.So is if i use this capusles my skin become more dark as i am medium color and already been tan efffected on sun exposed areas on my skin?2.Should i take it along with Baidyanth chrywana prasa if so what you suggested time to hair capsules?

4. Dear Dr,
    I’m writing you from Italy, I’ve got bhringraj powder how can I use it? How to prepare an oil with it? Thank you

5. hello, doctor!
    I am 20 years old and I am losing a lot of hair. I thought it might be because of my diet so I started taking more protein in the last 2 days by eating more soy, paneer and sprouts. the hairfall came down by half. But today when I used brahmi oil and then combed before bathing a lot of hair came out more than 100 or so.
    Why is this?
    I’m scared. My hair is not thick to begin with so if I keep losing at this rate I won’t have much left.
    Should I stop oil? I have always noticed a bit more ahir fall after massaging with oil.

Hi, Brahmi oil might not be the cause for hair fall. Continue applying it for one more week. if you continue to observe hair fall, then stop it and use plain coconut oil instead.

6. want to know which ayurvedic keram should be used for hair growth. i developed hairfall as a sideeffect of dengue fever

Apart from oil application, some oral medicines might also be required. Please try Amla hair oil / Bhringaraj hair oil.

• i am getting cold when i am going for overnight oiling. will i get hair fall once i stop using bhringaraj,now i am applying kanjunnyadi keram? what is ur opinion on applying castor oil?

If you are getting cold, then apply the oil in the morning, half an hour before head bath. Castor oil is also good for health. But it should be applied before bath only.

7. is olive oil is good for hair?

8. Sir, I have severe hairfall problem, just applying Bhringraj oil daily enough to get cure from this problem.

If the cause is dandruff, scalp skin issue, then it would help. But if it has some systemic cause, then oral medicines might be required. Please consult an Ayurveda doctor.

• Hi Dr. Hebbar, thanks for replying back. I been to an alopethic doctor regarding my hairfall and he has diagonised me with Androgenic Alopecia and he has given me a list of medicines to follow but didnt garantee my hairfall will stop or not. It would be your very kind help if you could tell me is there any cure for my hair condition as my hair has fully thinned and its falling terribly. I am just 22 and havent yet started a proper life I am exprensing a tramutic experience. Is there any kind of ayurvedic medication which I can follow which will help me. Your kind help is required sir.

Hi, for the time being please follow the prescribed allopathic treatment.
          To try in Ayurveda, I strongly suggest you to consult an Ayurveda doctor personally. It would be of immense help to you.
          Never lose hope. Do not be sad. Your life will be defined by the hard work that you do in your studies and profession PLUS the love that you spread among the people whom you care. Your life is NOT dependent on the thickness of your hair.

9. Dear Doc,
    My hair becomes very much dry when I use coconut or olive oils. It is difficult to find castor oil in this country. Can you please suggest any oil that can soften my hair, anything that I can prepare at home.

If you apply coconut oil / sesame oil to hair, after that, if you wrap hair with a towel dipped in hot water and keep it for 30 minutes and then rinse with water. It will make the hairs a lot smoother. Try once.

10. Dear Sir,
    I am suffering from multiple Lipomas from last 10 years. I have lipomas in my hands, stomach, thighs, chest area & back…… I tried lot of homeopathic medicines but got zero relief. Can you please suggest any ayurvedic solution for this problem?

11. Dear sir,
    Does applying coconut oil to hair and wrapping hair with towel dipped in hot water method,softens the tangled and matted hair and makes detangling hair easy? Could you please help me with this, even though the question is not entirely appropriate to ayur subject, with your knowledge can you please shed some light on this, been bed rest for some months and hair got coiled up enitrely don’t know how to remove tangles formed in hair , i’m in very bad situation seeking for help.
    Waiting for your reply, thank you so much in advance.

1. Yes it helps you. If you can not do it by yourself, just visit a good male parlour.

12. Thank you so much sir for quick reply, by the way i’m female with medium length hair.

Sorry, I went by your name. Just visit any herbal beauty parlor and your problem should be solved.

• no problem sir, beauty parlor is scarce the country i’m living in, any other self to do home based can you recommend me, thanks

Hi, I think you can do the hot towel wrap after oil application by yourself. It is not difficult.

13. najin hyder says:

Hello doc. I am 19 years old and i was suffering from scalp psoriasis for past 3 years. Due to my lack of knowledge i did not treat it properly and thus i suffered hell lot of hair loss. But after taking lot of medications i have recovered from it. And thank god hair is starting to appear. But still am loosing almost 10 to 12 strands daily from sides and back. I never used to oil my hair. But now am planning to. I thought of using parachute ayurvedic hair oil. Do you think it will thicken my hair and make it more healthier?? Or do i have to take any other oils??

Dear Najin Hyder, I suggest you to use Bhringamalakadi tailam or Neelibhringadi tailam as your hair oil.
      Take 200 ml of the oil. Mix 10 ml of neem oil to it and apply it 30 minutes before head bath. DO this at lest 2 – 3 times a week.
      Hope it helps.

14. you have a very good site and video, thank you

Write your opinion about this article