Kayam Churna – Benefits, Side Effects – An Ayurvedic Medicine For Constipation

Kayam churna is a very famous Ayurvedic medicine for constipation. It is not a traditional Ayurvedic medicine. It is a proprietary Ayurvedic medicine. It means that the formula of Kayam churna is not mentioned in any Traditional Ayurvedic text books.

The manufacturer of Kayam churna – Sheth Brothers, formulated a combination of few Ayurvedic herbs that benefit in constipation, blended them into powder form and labelled it as Kayam churna.

Kayam Churna Ingredients –
Kayam churna is a powerful and intelligent blend of good Ayurvedic herbs. Kayam churna ingredients are –
Senna leaves (Cassia angustifolia)
Black Salt (Saindhava salt / Saindha namak)
Nishoth (Trivrit) – Operculina turpethum Ajwain – Carum capticum /  Trachyspermum ammi
Himej = Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
Svarjika Kshara – a type of Kshara preparation
Jethi Madh = Yasthimadhu = liquorice = Glycyrrhiza glabra.

Kayam churna benefits –
Kayam churna is claimed to be beneficial in Chronic constipation, acidity, gas, headache and mouth ulcer.

Kayam churna for constipation –  Kayam churna is one of the most over-the-counter purchased Ayurvedic medicine for constipation. However, many complain of dependency and recurrence of constipation once after stopping the product.

Kayam Churna how to use –1 – 2 teaspoons at bed time, preferably before food with half a glass of hot water.

How Kayam churna acts?
Trivrit is a good purgative Ayurvedic herb.
Haritaki and Senna leaves are mild laxatives.
Yasthimadhu is good for stomach complaints, peptic ulcers and mouth ulcers.
Saindhava lavana and Swarjika kshara are usually used in gastritis condition. They also improve the digestion capacity of stomach and intestines.

Kayam Churna side effects –
Very high dose of Kayam churna may cause severe stomach pain, diarrhea and dehydration.
kayam Churna is known to cause dependence. Hence, many people use it over a very long period of time.
One of the ingredients of it is Swarjika Kshara. We learnt in a video that use of Kshara for a long period of time may be a cause for low sperm count and quality.  (Watch video for better understanding)  Hence young men planning for marriage, men seeking infertility treatment may avoid long term use of kayam Churna.

Kayam Churna contains yashtimadhu. People with diabetes, high BP, high potassium levels (hyperkalemia) need to take this only under medical supervision.

Overall Kayam churna makes a good remedy for constipation. But for a long term and permanent cure for constipation, lifestyle changes and fiber rich diet plan is the solution.
Kayam churna in pregnancy  is not recommended, unless prescribed by the doctor.
Kayam churna is not recommended for children.

Dr JV Hebbar B.A.M.S, MD (Ayu), is an Ayurveda Doctor. Click here to consult Dr Hebbar

If you wish to seek advice from Dr Hebbar, click here

1. Kayam Choorna or Tribhala Which is better to treat Constipation. Which Ayurveda medicine can cure breath odor

I can say that Triphala is much safer than Kayam Churna. But Kayam churna seems to be more effective in constipation than Triphala. Breath odor can be due to many causes including dental caries and indigestion. Please consult a doctor in person.

• A visit to your dentist !!!

2. Interesting how the name is “Kayam Churna” right? It’s like the manufacturer knew that there’s going to be dependency and made a joke out of it in the name. Btw ‘Kayam’ means ‘perpetual/never-ending’ in Gujarati.

Lol! your guess is half correct.
      The reason for the name may be two.
      Kayam in sanskrit is – body / health. So, it can be assumed to be good for health.
      Kayam, even in Kannada, and many languages means permanent, suggesting that once taken, one becomes permanent customer of it?! weird.
      It may also mean that the solution offered and health benefits of this product is permanent. B)

• Yogendra Ray says:

It can also be interpreted as permanent remover of ailments. Dependency on the Kayamchurna can also be interpreted as once fully dependency on this churna and not amending once lifestyle.

3. M.Abdul Jaleel says:

I am really satisfied after taking kayam churna my conspitation problem has come to a solution now I feel my stomach is free and I feel much easier than before but it is hard to drink to solve the problem of conspitation this treatment is better.

4. Drink what?

5. i am 26 male sometime i used kayam churnam . Half tablet ,one tablet . I am very sqtisfied . Not consulting doctor any sid effect in future pls tell me

Hello Ranjith, except for the side effects mentioned in the above articles, I have found it to be good for long term use.

6. noble George says:

I am a new user of kayam churna just finished my second bottle .was suffering from hyper acidity and server headache ..I have a problem now.. on the first morning after I took kayam churna I noticed that my face has become dark as if I was standing in sun for a long time .. I am very fair in complexion but now my complexion has become very dark and I am sure it is because of this medicine..please help me..

7. Ashish Goyal says:

Can KAYAM churn raise Creatine Level. Recently, I took it and my creatine level raised to 4.0. I am having Chronic Kidney Disease.

It is very unlikely to cause an increase in creatine level, however the possibility cannot be entirely ruled out. You sir, having a chronic kidney disease should always consult an Ayurveda doctor in person before taking any Ayurveda medicine, how much safe the medicine might be.

8. can someone taking medicines after an angioplasty take Khayam as the medicines cause severe constipation and creates foul smelling gas problems?

9. angrej singh says:

i have my hand and foot very cold or to much gas acidty and chest pain heart burn sir what i do? and i have sleeping time 1 spoon kayam churn take it

10. shaju kuttiyil says:

Can use kayam churna daily or long time. I am now 46 years old. I waiting for your good answer. Thank you.

It can be used for 6 – 8 weeks. If you wish to use it beyond that time period, please consult an Ayurveda doctor in person.

11. will taking kayam churna help in piles?

12. I purchased yesterday this medicine .. Morning I went to toilet … Twice till now .. It seems good .. But I have haitus hernia 3 cm as per my endoscopy report .. Should I consult with doctor .. Please suggest me .

Having hiatus hernia is not a contra indication for this medicine. A patient with hiatus hernia can take this medicine. However, it is always good to consult an Ayurveda doctor before trying any medicine / home remedy.

• mohan aggarwal says:

dear doctor,
        i am having high level of diabetes and i am taking insulin with medicine, i have taken kayam churn for 2 days and found my sugar level very high, is it due to kayam churn
        mohan aggarwal

Hi, Kayam Churna does not contain any sugar ingredient. Hence, it might not be the cause for very high sugar levels.

13. I suffering from constipation from last one and half year now i am taking kayam churan from last 10days.
    How much should i take it to solve this problem
    I am only 26 years old male.

Hi, it is best to consult an Ayurveda doctor in person for the right dose. Usual dose is half to one teaspoon at night, after food.

14. the tiniest amount helps me, which is good because this is the worst tasting thing I have ever tasted and I can barely take a sip.

What should be a routine period of taking Kayamchurn, I mean once within a week / twice in a week or daily. Will it not be harmful in empty stomach before dinner?

For severe constipation, it can be taken daily for a period of 2 – 4 weeks, after which the dose can be reduced to twice or thrice a week.

16. Prasanth says:

Hello Doctor

I am working in night shift and could not sleep well for long time in day time or take food in time. Will Kayam churna will be helful to me.

Hi, Kayam Churna is not used in sleep problems. It is more commonly used in constipation.

17. Gchauhan says:

can i take kayam churn before and after taking milk……?????

18. Ashwini says:

Hi doctor, am suffering from fissure problem and am feeding my baby…can I take for constipation

19. Hi Doctor,
    I started to take Kayam Churan a week before taking orlistat pills. My bmi is 34. Is it right for me to go on with these 2 medicines as I have also reduced 3kg from 90killos.

20. sir,i am 30 year old i am suffering from Piles .I took Kayam Churana 3 day now relife I should continue or take full bottal

21. kayam churnam is working for gas struble

22. Sir,
    I’m using kayam tablet or a couple of days. I am satisfied. How many days have I use tablet to solve my constipation permanently ?

Hi, you may need to use it for one month time. Before stopping it, decrease the dose gradually and then stop.
      1. a banana at night.
      2. Include fiber rich food in your diet – corn (bran), Cauliflower, raisins, cabbage, berries, green leafy vegetables, celery, beans, guava, figs, flax seed, spinach, orange, mushroom.
      3. Drink a cup of warm milk at bed time.
      4. Avoid excessive spicy food, heavy non veg, and fried food.
      5. Practice Pavana Muktasana – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tN145t7tCU

• Sudha udipi says:

Thank you Dr. for reminding people to try these simple but very important home remedies for constipation before starting any medication, ayurvedic or otherwise.
        One should start medicines when none of the simple measures work.

23. Hi Dr. J I’m taking Kayam Churna once in a while when ever i feel my stomach is upset or constipation now i got pain at lower cage of rib in right side its sometime burns and pains is it with gastric trouble or something else. (after 2 days of pain or burning sensation i took kayam and today i feel normal)

25. Hi..sir i have pimples in my face..will kayam churan help..

26. Ankit D Patel says:

Hi my son is just 2&1/2 year old.but he have constipition problem and for 3-3 days he is not going for toilet and after giving anima he is able to do toilet.so i want to know that may i prefer kayam churna for my son

It can be given in a very low dose of quarter a teaspoon at night for a limited period of time. Please consult your Ayurvedic doctor first.

27. Hi,sir
    I’m having too much pimples and darkspot on my face if i use kayak churan its effect on to reduce pimples????

28. vishalverma8383Vishal says:

I have minor thalassemia . I am taking Kayan churan from almost 2 years twice a week. Works well for me.
    Is that affecting my body in any way as having a low hb and iron level due to thalassemia.

29. company had not written on the bottel that A person can’t take this produt having high blood pressure & diabetes.

30. hiii sir, i am suffering from traveller’s diarrohea, is it helpfull to take kayam churna…?

Hi, Kayam churna is indicated in constipation and not in diarrhea. It would worsen your condition. Hence please avoid.

31. Hello doctor,
    I have been taking kayam churna since I was 14 and now I m 27.Now I m pregnant and dont know what to take for constipation which only kayam churna can tackle.I dont have cramps while I take it.Can I continue with it or should I stop.

32. Is it ok to drink kayam churna wen we r feeding the baby….

33. Above Q/A was very interesting. Due to my constipation problem, I take Kayam tablet-1 tab for few days and then Charan Malshddhi tab-3 tabs. With Kayam, I have to go yo toilet 2 to 3 times through out the day, while with Charan Malshuddhi, 1 to 2 times in morning only. Which one is safer in the long run?

Hi, both are safe for long term. Please also follow natural remedies for constipation – easyayurveda.com/2015/04/15/constipation-causes-ayurvedic-treatment-home-remedies/

34. Ramprasad says:

I am 45 Yrs , suffering from persistent mouth ulcers , can I take kayam churna

35. Hello doctor sahab.
    I’m suffering with little constipation problem. When I go to toilet at morning then starting stool is hard but rest stool is soft sometime and it cause the fissure problem. Is khayam churan is a good stool softner.

36. Sir . I can take banana in constipation. Kayam churna have side iffact in high bp and sugar

Hi, if your blood sugar levels are under control, then you can have a banana at night, followed by a cup of hot water for constipation.
      Read more about constipation remedies – easyayurveda.com/2015/04/15/constipation-causes-ayurvedic-treatment-home-remedies/

37. Yogendra Ray says:

No expiry date is mentioned on the Kayam Churna bottle. What is the reason?

38. hi my husband suffers with constipation he also has an ulcer and severe headaches please advice that is the headaches a side effect of the constipation.
    he is on kayam churna which was given to him by an doctor.
    await your reply

39. It is BAD BAD ….Pl DO NOT USE it …Google it and find out how many people have problems after taking KAYAM Churna…..

I am 42 yrs old Indian origin Canadian. I was born in India. When I was in India and has so many acne pimple problems when I was 14- 20 years old. All used to say its about constipation and drink more water and take KAYAM CHURNA.

Once I started taking it – believe – it was HELL in the living.

My nature call was not on time. You have to go at least 3 -5 times. Once call comes in – you get CRAMPS in abdomen. No relief in sight. Indian – Baroda – Ahmedabad weather was so hot. I was in University. Could not get away. It puts you in a very awkward situation every time. You can not control it because it gives so much pain.
    Finally, I STOPPED listening all those so called sympathizers. I went ahead with my life and my decision and STOPPED taking KAYAM Churna. I was better off with acne/pimple than artificial cramps in body. it was SO PAINFUL. I will never forget those painful days on the name of Ayurvedic medicine – Century old indigenous indian system.

Since I came to Canada in end of year 2000 – I have no problem. I realized and learned that it was weather/temp issue on my body. Canada is COLD country. I never had that issue. I go to nature calls – once in the morning and may be, 2nd time, if I eat too much otherwise only 1 time.
    I am happy with decision about stop talking KAYAM churna.

Since then I started learning about food and combination.
    Believe me whatever people say, my experience was so BAD that I would not consider now “OLD IS GOLD” medicine system. I am Canadian and believe in science. This does not mean that Western system is perfect as well. I always start with doubt and I start anything new – I always put under investigation.
    My thoughts are not going well with my own parents.
    But I am happy the way I do it.

40. I told my cousin about this churan and she was having problem of constipation since long time she is happy and tell other about that

41. Ashutosh says:

My name is Ashutosh,
    Sir, Since last few years I am having the problem of external Piles.My treating doctor has told me that the pile problem caused due to constipation and advised me to take KayamChurna tablets. Since last few months I am taking KayamChurna Tablets (daily 1 tab at night).After taking the KayamChurna I feel that I am relieved from all my pains due to piles problem.Sir, is there any side effects in taking the KayamChurna Tablet long time. I am 47 years old.Till now I don’t have any ailments (BP,Diabetes etc..). I Thank you to say that this medicine has changed me a lot.

Dear Ashutosh, it is better to use Kayam Churna only when there is requirement. Better to limit its usage to few months only. If you cannot stop it, consult a doctor who would prescribe alternate medicines.

42. SAHIL KUMAR says:

Hi Sir,
    i am consuming kayam-churna over 6 months,before that i was taking dulcolax for 5 months now after taking kayam-churna i got relief from constipation but my stomach remains very tight,if i stop kayam-churna will constipation will happen again and what’s the reason behind my stomach being tight??

43. Dear Sir, I have a bad habit that everyday in the morning before breakfast I go to Toilet more than two times. Like IBS Please advice me is it better to take kayam churna for my stomach problems ?

44. Srinivas V says:

My son age is 2 years..once in 3 days he is going to motion. Is it good to take one forth of the kayam churna tablet?

45. M..kayam churan lera hu.pichle teen saal se isse mjhe pimpals m.kaafi rahat mili.bcoj mera pet saaf rahta h..tnx kaayam churan

46. Hi i have bp 140/90 above. Can i take kayam churan.

47. Meri halat kharab hai ..her 5 min me toilet 2 ghante toilet me rat ko 2 baje tak kavi mat lena kayam churn

48. Write your opinion/ doubts about the article below. Please do not post your personal health complaints here. If you wish to seek advice from Dr Hebbar, click here