72890 - june 2013

Kayam Churna – Benefits, Side Effects – An Ayurvedic Medicine For Constipation

Kayam churna is a very famous Ayurvedic medicine for constipation. It is not a traditional Ayurvedic medicine. It is a proprietary Ayurvedic medicine. It means that the formula of Kayam churna is not mentioned in any Traditional Ayurvedic text books. The manufacturer of Kayam churna – Sheth Brothers, formulated a combination of few Ayurvedic herbs that benefit in constipation, blended them into powder form and labelled it as Kayam churna.

Kayam Churna Ingredients -
Kayam churna is a powerful and intelligent blend of good Ayurvedic herbs. Kayam churna ingredients are -
Senna leaves (Cassia angustifolia)
Black Salt (Saindhava salt / Saindha namak)
Nishoth (Trivrit) – Operculina turpethum Ajwain – Carum capticum /  Trachyspermum ammi
Himej = Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
Svarjika Kshara – a type of Kshara preparation
Jethi Madh = Yasthimadhu = liquorice = Glycyrrhiza glabra.

Kayam churna benefits -
Kayam churna is claimed to be beneficial in Chronic constipation, acidity, gas, headache and mouth ulcer.

Kayam churna for constipation –  Kayam churna is one of the most over-the-counter purchased Ayurvedic medicine for constipation. However, many complain of dependency and recurrence of constipation once after stopping the product.

Kayam Churna how to use -1 – 2 teaspoons at bed time, preferably before food with half a glass of hot water.

How Kayam churna acts?
Trivrit is a good purgative Ayurvedic herb.
Haritaki and Senna leaves are mild laxatives.
Yasthimadhu is good for stomach complaints, peptic ulcers and mouth ulcers.
Saindhava lavana and Swarjika kshara are usually used in gastritis condition. They also improve the digestion capacity of stomach and intestines.

Kayam Churna side effects -
Very high dose of Kayam churna may cause severe stomach pain, diarrhea and dehydration.
kayam Churna is known to cause dependence. Hence, many people use it over a very long period of time.
One of the ingredients of it is Swarjika Kshara. We learnt in a video that use of Kshara for a long period of time may be a cause for low sperm count and quality.  (Watch video for better understanding)  Hence young men planning for marriage, men seeking infertility treatment may avoid long term use of kayam Churna.

Kayam Churna contains yashtimadhu. People with diabetes, high BP, high potassium levels (hyperkalemia) need to take this only under medical supervision.

Overall Kayam churna makes a good remedy for constipation. But for a long term and permanent cure for constipation, lifestyle changes and fiber rich diet plan is the solution.
Kayam churna in pregnancy  is not recommended, unless prescribed by the doctor.
Kayam churna is not recommended for children.

Kayam Churan 100g

0saves
Dr JV Hebbar is an Ayurveda Doctor, Assistant Professor, From Mangalore, India. Click here to consult Dr Hebbar

Comments

1. Kayam Choorna or Tribhala Which is better to treat Constipation. Which Ayurveda medicine can cure breath odor

I can say that Triphala is much safer than Kayam Churna. But Kayam churna seems to be more effective in constipation than Triphala. Breath odor can be due to many causes including dental caries and indigestion. Please consult a doctor in person.

• A visit to your dentist !!!

2. Interesting how the name is “Kayam Churna” right? It’s like the manufacturer knew that there’s going to be dependency and made a joke out of it in the name. Btw ‘Kayam’ means ‘perpetual/never-ending’ in Gujarati.

Lol! your guess is half correct.
      The reason for the name may be two.
      Kayam in sanskrit is – body / health. So, it can be assumed to be good for health.
      Kayam, even in Kannada, and many languages means permanent, suggesting that once taken, one becomes permanent customer of it?! weird.
      It may also mean that the solution offered and health benefits of this product is permanent. B)

3. M.Abdul Jaleel says:

I am really satisfied after taking kayam churna my conspitation problem has come to a solution now I feel my stomach is free and I feel much easier than before but it is hard to drink to solve the problem of conspitation this treatment is better.

4. Drink what?

5. i am 26 male sometime i used kayam churnam . Half tablet ,one tablet . I am very sqtisfied . Not consulting doctor any sid effect in future pls tell me

Hello Ranjith, except for the side effects mentioned in the above articles, I have found it to be good for long term use.

6. noble George says:

I am a new user of kayam churna just finished my second bottle .was suffering from hyper acidity and server headache ..I have a problem now.. on the first morning after I took kayam churna I noticed that my face has become dark as if I was standing in sun for a long time .. I am very fair in complexion but now my complexion has become very dark and I am sure it is because of this medicine..please help me..

7. Ashish Goyal says:

Hi,
    Can KAYAM churn raise Creatine Level. Recently, I took it and my creatine level raised to 4.0. I am having Chronic Kidney Disease.

It is very unlikely to cause an increase in creatine level, however the possibility cannot be entirely ruled out. You sir, having a chronic kidney disease should always consult an Ayurveda doctor in person before taking any Ayurveda medicine, how much safe the medicine might be.

8. can someone taking medicines after an angioplasty take Khayam as the medicines cause severe constipation and creates foul smelling gas problems?

9. angrej singh says:

i have my hand and foot very cold or to much gas acidty and chest pain heart burn sir what i do? and i have sleeping time 1 spoon kayam churn take it

10. shaju kuttiyil says:

Can use kayam churna daily or long time. I am now 46 years old. I waiting for your good answer. Thank you.

It can be used for 6 – 8 weeks. If you wish to use it beyond that time period, please consult an Ayurveda doctor in person.

11. will taking kayam churna help in piles?

12. I purchased yesterday this medicine .. Morning I went to toilet … Twice till now .. It seems good .. But I have haitus hernia 3 cm as per my endoscopy report .. Should I consult with doctor .. Please suggest me .

Having hiatus hernia is not a contra indication for this medicine. A patient with hiatus hernia can take this medicine. However, it is always good to consult an Ayurveda doctor before trying any medicine / home remedy.

• mohan aggarwal says:

dear doctor,
        i am having high level of diabetes and i am taking insulin with medicine, i have taken kayam churn for 2 days and found my sugar level very high, is it due to kayam churn
        thanks
        mohan aggarwal
        mohan@perfectgroup.in

Hi, Kayam Churna does not contain any sugar ingredient. Hence, it might not be the cause for very high sugar levels.

Write your opinion about this article