Varadi Kashayam – An Effective Ayurveda Weight Loss Remedy

Varadi Kashayam is a traditional Ayurvedic medicine. It has its roots in Kerala Ayurveda system of practice. This herbal decoction preparation is widely used in southern part of India in the treatment of obesity.

Warning: Do not take this product without the consent of your Ayurvedic doctor. The description here is only for the purpose of information and knowledge.
Varadi kashayam is also known as Varadi Kashay, Varadi kashayam, Varadi Kasayam etc.

The word meaning of ‘Vara’ is ‘great’. In Ayurvedic terminology, Vara is often used to suggest Triphala. – the group of three fruits.

Kashaya refers to water decoction or herbal tea

The reference for Varadi Kashaya is found in Kerala Ayurveda treatise – Sahasrayoga.

Varadi kashayam uses –
Varadi Kashayam is extensively used in the treatment of obesity.

Varadi Kashayam Dosage –
If you have brought the Kashaya from an Ayurvedic store, usually the Kashaya will be concentrated. Please check the dosage in the label.

Generally, if the Kashaya is concentrated, 5 ml of the kashaya is added with 5 ml of luke warm water, mixed well, and taken orally, two times a day.

Half a spoon of honey should also be taken along with this Kashaya. (As per the traditional textual reference).

This is usually on empty stomach, either in early morning and evening hours, or generally before food.

Your doctor will be the best judge on dosage and time of intake.

Varadi Kashaya possible side effects –
A few may experience stomach uneasiness, burning sensation in stomach or lose stools.
If you experience anything as such, start taking it after food or consult your doctor.

How long to take?
Up to one month.

Varadi Kashaya ingredients –
Triphala –
Amla – Emblica officinalis
Haritaki – Terminalia chebula
Vibhitaki – Terminalia bellirica
Chitraka – Plumbago zeylanica
Loha patra – Iron (Herbal processed Iron foils are kept dipped in the Kashaya for a few days. A few companies add Loha bhasma (medicated iron ash powder) to it, in place of iron foils)

Haridra (Curcuma longa)
water

Varadi Kashayam – actual reference –

वरासनाग्नय: पत्रनिशाक्वाथो मधुप्लुत: । द्विरदस्थूलदेहोऽपि पिबेत मासात् कृशोभवेत् ॥ - सहस्रयोग
varāsanāgnaya: patraniśākvātho madhupluta: | dviradasthūladeho'pi pibeta māsāt kṛśobhavet || - sahasrayoga
Dr JV Hebbar is an Ayurveda Doctor, Assistant Professor, From Mangalore, India. Click here to consult Dr Hebbar

Comments

1. Hello Dr,
    What i sthe difference between Varadi Kashaya and Varanadi kashaya?
    Which is the best for weight reduction?
    Where can I get Varadi Kashaya? who are the manufacturers?

Varadi kashayam and Varunadi Kashayam are two different formulations with different set of ingredients.
      Varadi Kashayam is mentioned in Sahasrayoga text book of AYurveda. Varunadi kashayam reference is found in Ashtanga Hrudaya.
      Varadi Kashayam contains herbal processed iron as an ingredient. But Varunadi Kashayam is purely herbal in nature.
      Efficacy-wise, both Varadi and Varanadi are similar in action, but in my opinion, Varadi Kashayam is better in efficacy when compared to Varanadi kashayam.
      Kottakkal (AVS) manufactures Varadi Kashayam.
      Many companies like AVN, AVP, AVS, etc manufacture Varanadi Kashayam.,

2. What is Vyoshachitrakadi Kashayam used for? and what are the effects of the same.

Regards.

3. What is the pathyam when having varadi kashayam…?

Fibre rich diet, low fat and low sugar diet is good for losing weight while using Varadi Kashayam. The diet should positively contribute to the purpose of medicine.

4. TASNEEM says:

can breast feeding mother use this varadi kashayam and is it available in mangalore city.

If your doctor has advised it, then it can be continued while breast feeding. However, I would advice to stop it during first sex months of lactation. It might be available in Kottakkal shop. Please check.

5. Can you pl let me know the use of Varadi Choornam.I had been prescribed this several years ago but don’t recollect for what.
    Does this powder have a shelf life?. I had bought this from Kottakkal AVS.

6. How much weight loss can be expected with the one month course (2 times a day). Also can the ladies continue taking this during the monthly course (MC period)?

If you do strict diet restriction, follow a good exercise program of at least half an hour day, you can expect to lose upto 3 kg per month.
      It should not be taken during periods.

7. i am suffering from PCOS and my doctor advised me varunadi kashayam. i have been taking that since two months and today when searching over internet i found VARUNADI kashaya is for kidney stones related issues where as VARANADI kashayam is for weight loss. Which is the correct kashayam i should be buying. And if i have taken the syrup for kidney stones, are there any adverse effects on my health due to that. Please help me on this.

Please note that Varunadi and Varanadi Kashayam – both are one and the same. Both are used for renal calculi, as it has diuretic property. It helps to relieve kidney stones.
      It is used in PCOS, because it helps to reduce the cyst size. It also helps to fight water retention in PCOS and thus helps to keep weight under control.

8. Hello Dr. I want to reduce my tummy fat, can u please recommend me something.

9. How many days I have to take it will reduce atleast 2 kilo for one month

I do not have data on this. Just based on my experience, as a rule of thumb, taking it for one month, after consulting a doctor, with exercise and diet planning, you should be able to reduce 2 kg.

10. dear dr
    can a feeding mother can use varanadi.

Yes, if it is prescribed by the doctor.

• Hello Dr. Hebbar,
        I couldnt find Varadi tonic in any of the stores in bangalore. can you please let me know where I can find it.

Narayan

Hi, please try in Gururaja Ayurveda Pharmacy, in front of Majestic.
          If not try in Kottakkal Arya Vaidya Sala shops of Bangalore.
          Sitaram Ayurveda Pharmacy Ltd. manufactures the same Kashayam in tablet form. General dose for Varadi kashayam tablet is 1 – 2 tablets once or twice a day.

11. is there any harm or any problems for women taking varadi kashayam

12. doing excercise after taking varadi is good or not ?

13. use of liquor and beer during this period is harmful or ?

14. hi doc
    i just started hvg the varanadi kashayam(vaidyaratnam) yesterday,that too just once in the evg,though i din hv any stomach related side effect,im getting mouth ulcers…cud it b possibly the side effect of kashayam?im under alopathic medication for hypothyroidism(thyronorm 50mcg) too…but my thyroid functiong is normal nw.im just worried if the mouth ulcers wud aggravate!

Hello Star, Very rarely Varanadi kashayam cause mouth ulcers. But it is unlikely to cause it with a single dose.
      Add a bit more water to it, before taking. If it worsens, consult your doctor.

15. sir i have more muscle mass in my arm and thigh…How to Lose Muscle Mass on specific part of body?
    is there any medicine available? or
    is varadi kashayam will help?
    please suggest me..

Hi, lose wrapping a crepe bandage and avoiding its usage of the arm for a few days time is the best way to reduce muscle mass.

16. praveen gowda says:

Hi sir my self praveen from bangalore my age is 23 but my weight is 64 i was havng light stomch fat can i take this Varadi tonic ? please answr to my question i was awaiting for your reply

Thanku

Hi, rather than self medicating with this medicine, it is best to consult a doctor in person.

17. Good morning I get up in the morn an have the khashayam an have a cuppa coffee in five mins is it ok or should I wait for half an hour pl advice thx

Hi, ideally, it is better to have a gap of at least 15 minutes between kashayam and coffee.

18. i need to reduce only belly fat. wats ur suggestion?

19. hello sir…,can you please tell me where i get this varadi kashyam in pune??????/

20. M. Sambasiva Rao says:

About Varunadi Kashay I have referred this and I got good information from so many persons referred above and thanks to Dr.JV HEBBER for his valuable suggestions. My experience by using Varunadi Kashaya, I am relieved from dry cough and soar throat which I experience very often.Now I got relief. But mouth ulcers I am getting. Thank u all.
    M.Sambasiva Rao, Guntur AP

Write your opinion about this article