Raw garlic is one of the very ancient spices used in Ayurveda. Even Sushruta has appreciated the benefits of raw garlic. Sweet, salt, sour, pungent, bitter and astringent are the six tastes according to Ayurveda beliefs. Garlic is one of those rare herbs which has five tastes except sour.
While raw garlic comes with a bunch of health benefits, it is very important to know who and when should avoid garlic.
Garlic is called as Lahsun in Hindi.
Health benefits of Raw Garlic according to Ayurveda -
- Garlic is hot in nature.
- pungent, heavy.
- Regular use of garlic acts as natural aphrodisiac.
- Garlic improves intelligence.
- Useful in heart diseases:It is one of the very interesting to know that Sushruta mentioned garlic’s quality as ‘useful in heart diseases’. It is now a proven fact that garlic reduces cholesterol.
- cholesterol and good for heart.
- Raw garlic is widely used in the treatment of intestinal complaints, indigestion and stomach pain, bloating and lack of taste in food and constipation.
- Garlic arthritis: Garlic is used in treatment of fractures, and to strengthen bones. Garlic is known to assist in regeneration of bone mass. Hence raw garlic is useful in rheumatoid arthritis and osteo arthritis.
- Garlic is good for eyes, improves quality of voice.
- Useful in the treatment cough, cold, skin diseases, intestinal worms,
- Garlic is useful in rejuvenation treatment.
- Garlic is ideal to take along with non veg diet.
- Effect on Tridosha – Garlic calms Vata and Kapha.
- Hailed as natural antibiotic for its richness in sulphur.
If you are thinking of eating raw garlic pearls, better to start it slowly and watch for any adverse events, as raw garlic is very hot and pungent.
Garlic may cause or worsen bad breath problem.
It is advised not to take garlic soon after heavy exercise or when someone has just come from sunlight.
Since Garlic is hot and pungent, it should not be taken when someone has nasal bleeding and dizziness.
For women suffering from heavy menstrual bleeding, it is advisable to stop using garlic from 5 days before onset of periods till it stops.