Sesame and Sesame Oil Benefits – Total Ayurveda Details

Sesame is one of the most widely used Ayurvedic medicines. If sesame seeds were not there, I would say, 40 % of Ayurvedic formulas would have been non-existent. Sesame is used in multiple dosage forms – powder, paste, oil, in the form of sesame recipes. The wonder herb is used in multiple ways through different routes of administration. Externally, internally, orally, over the eyes, nasally, rectally etc. It is high time that we explore the sesame benefits.

Sesame facts:
Botanical name: Sesamum indicum Linn. Ayurvedic Name: Tila.

Sesame synonyms: benne seed, til, sim sim, abongra, Hu ma, Zhi ma, Sesamzaad, Cham kkae,Sesamo, Shiro goma,  Semilla de ajonjolí, Sesam, Sésamo, Sezam indyjski. Graines de sesame, Sésame blanc.

Indian Synonyms of sesame: Tila, Til, Ellu, Tara, Gumbulu etc.

Used parts:Sesame  Seed, oil and whole plant. The whole plant is used in the preparation of special Ayurvedic medicine called Tila Kshara.

Sesame oil composition: Sesame is rich in Vitamin E. Hence acts as a natural anti oxidant. It also contains Vitamin K. Sesame contains magnesium, copper, calcium, iron, zinc, and vitamin B6.

Sesame benefits:
Ayurveda details:
Master Charaka – Of all the varieties of oil, sesame oil is best for improving strength and imparting oiliness to the body. (Charaka sutrasthana 13th chapter).
Master Sushruta enlists Ayurvedic properties of Sesame with the following terms. All these terms can be attributed to sesame seed benefits or benefits of sesame oil.  –

Dantya - Good for teeth. Hence sesame is used in three ways for good teeth.

• Advised for chewing.
  • Its paste is kept at the place of tooth ache.
  • sesame oil is used for oil pulling.

In conditions like tingling of the teeth, weak teeth, and disease of the mouth caused by Vata imbalance, water mixed with sesame seed paste is held in the mouth for 3 – 5 minutes. It is called as Gandusha treatment. (Reference)

Pathya - One of the things to be taken regularly. Hence sesame oil is one of the widely used oil for cooking in the Indian household.

Agni janana – Improves digestive power.
Medha janana – Improves intelligence.
Vranashodhana – Cleanses wounds.

• Sesame is made into the form of paste is traditionally applied over wounds for quick wound healing.
  • Sesame oil is used for oil pulling to heal mouth ulcers.
  • Sesame oil is processed with many herbs having wound healing property to prepare wound healing oils.

Twachya, Balya, Keshya – Improves the quality of skin and hair. Improves overall strength. If you ever wish to do a massage with some oil, please consider sesame oil. Sesame oil is used as the base for most of the herbal oils.
Sesame calms Vata  and Kapha, slightly increases Pitta.
Sesame oil is an excellent laxative.
Sesame oil is an excellent skin moisturizer and skin softener.

Sesame oil is a safe oil for massage of babies and children.  It helps to strengthen the bones, muscles and joints.
Sesame oil is used for massage, Shirodhara, etc procedures which help to calm the mind and induce deep relaxation and helps to have natural sleep and relieves headache.

various uses of sesame –

• Sesame oil is used in Ayurveda for food preparation, massage, oil pulling.
  • Sesame oil is used as a base to prepare many medicated oils which are used in panchakarma procedures like Basti.
  • Sesame paste is used for internal administration and also for application over wound.
  • Oil prepared with Sesame oil base is used for nasal installation, as ear drops etc.
  • Sesame seeds are used in various food recipes.

Ayurvedic medicines with Sesame oil as ingredient:
90 % of the herbal oils of Ayurveda are prepared with Sesame oil base.
Sesame oil is also used as ingredient in many herbal jams like Kalyanagulam

Benefits of sesame oil head massage:
One who applies sesame oil on his head regularly does not suffer from headache, baldness, graying of hair, nor do this hair fall. Strength of his head forehead is specially enhanced; his hair become black, long and deep-rooted; his sense organs work properly; the skin of his face becomes brightened; applying sesame oil on the head produces sound sleep and happiness. (reference)
A simple tip:
If you use sesame oil for massage, better to follow it up with hot water bath. It helps to calm Vata, and also to get rid of oil from skin. The gap between the massage and bath can be  half an hour to many hours. Longer the gap, better the effect.

Dr JV Hebbar is an Ayurveda Doctor, Assistant Professor, From Mangalore, India. Click here to consult Dr Hebbar

Comments

1. Is Sesame oil the best for cooking?

2. thanks for your insight on sesame oil. Will massaging with sesame oil cause body hair growth or make the complexion dark ?

• sesame oil massage neither promote body hair growth, nor it would make the complexion dark.
      Rather, sesame oil will help in improving blood circulation to the skin and tissues, and help remove dead skin cells and improve skin quality and texture.

• RAVEENDRANATH says:

whether Oral intake of sesame oil in the empty stomoch for free motion is advisable

3. can sesame oil be taken orally mixed with warm soup and if so how much for a day

4. I heard that oil pulling with sesame or sunflower oil is an
    old Ayurvedic traetment. Is it so? if yes could you tell me about it?

5. Very nice article. Could you please answer my query?
    My body appears hot most of the times, when it is so i feel not good, if somebody touches my hands they ask me why your body is hot? lips also get dry. Can I apply sesame oil on my body to bring it to normal? how frequently can I do this?

Thanks in advance
    Srinivas

Dear Mr Srinivas,
      Coconut oil application would help more than sesame oil.
      Try this very easy to prepare coriander drink

• Hello Sir,

I am pregnent(7th month),is it good to use sesame oil for the body massage?till the due date?
        2.My feets ands palms are always hot,which is uncomfertable,so is that a good idea to use sesame oil for the body massage in this situation?
        3.In pregenecy is that good to take the above drink you have mentioned?

During pregnancy, sesame oil can be used for body massage, but massage should be very mild and gentle. But care should be taken while massaging stomach, chest and back areas. I would only recommend just gentle application in these areas. The general feeling of hot palms and feet will go away naturally. Do not bother taking the coriander drink.

6. hi
    sesame seeds is very best seeds

i want to sesame oil how can purchase

7. is it best for premature ejaculation???

8. Dear Sir,

I just had an ACL reconstruction surgery & Arthroscopy. Will the sesame oil help if I use it to massage around my knee?

Yes it will help but I would rather suggest to consult an Ayurvedic doctor and get a more suitable massage oil.

9. samantha says:

i am loosing hair on forehead area i started eating black and white sesame i have gastritis will it be a problem and tell me a easy way to eat row sesame

I do not think there is a relationship between losing hair and eating sesame. You may also use sesame in food articles, apart from eating it raw. regards

10. Does sesame seeds and oil help in reduction of high BP. If yes then how many spoons should be consumed?

Yes it helps. Ideally one – 2 spoons of sesame seeds is more than enough per day.
      Along with it, regular exercise, salt, oil, non veg diet restriction, Yoga, Pranayama, avoiding junk food and aerated drinks are other ways to get the BP under control. Having said that it is best to consult your doctor for regular BP monitoring and advice.

11. thanks for your help .

12. Sirishasundar says:

I use sesame oil for curries and tadkas. Can I use it while planning for pregnancy.

13. Anny Muka says:

Thanks for those informations,can you tell me about the benefits of sesame leaves.regards

14. varsha rohra says:

which oil is gd for cooking til oil or olive oil as my cholestrol level is high

15. ABDUL SHAKOOR says:

if i apply sesame oil on body and go for sea bath is it any benefit for my body?

Yes it would benefit. Due to Sun exposure, the benefits of sesame oil will be enhanced.

16. Thank you for such a beautiful and very helpful post
    I wanted to ask does sesame oil applied on face and neck will give a soft and supple skin with natural skin glow…i mean my skin has tanned and its texture has become very rough will it help in giving natural texture to skin…and can i use at night as a moisture or can i use for the whole day too …and it is necessary to take hot bath everyday as i am going to apply sesame oil or natural water temperature is fine

Application of sesame oil help in softening hair ?…

Daily application of sesame oil helps to soften skin and hair. Yes, it improves glow.
      You can use it in night, in very small quantity. Just a thin layer of application is good.
      You can wash off with normal water also, but warm water is just a better choice.

17. i have probelm of piles last i years sesame oil is benefit for me

I suggest you to consult an Ayurvedic doctor for complete treatment of piles. You can take Sesame oil.

• Manikandan says:

Does Sesame oil prevent hair fall? Can i apply sesame oil for hair at night time & How much should i apply for hair & skin?

Yes it prevents hair fall. You can apply at night. Just as any hair oil quantity is good enough. For body, around 5 spoons of oil is good enough for a self massage.

18. Very good information.. My query is Can we apply sesame oil directly to body(face also) or we have to mix it with any other oil?How much quantity of oil is good enough to whole body, are there any restrictions like not to use more oil at a time??

19. Is sesame oil cures Psoriasis? I am suffering with Dandruff for 20 years now, i have used many shampoos (Expensive ones included) regularly but works only for the day. I am not sure if its a dandruff or Psoriasis. I have purchased Sesame seeds from a store and processed pure for Oil. I am not sure if it is a Cold Pressed or not. Can this oil cures Psoriasis/Dandruff. thanks & regards,

I would say, it helps in relieving dandruff / psoriasis to some extent but it might not alone cure it. Consult an Ayurvedic doctor for a detailed check up.

• I have purchased Sesame seeds from a store and processed pure for Oil. I am not sure if it is a Cold Pressed or not. Can i use this oil for face and hair without knowing what kind of process? Thanks

20. MASSAGING SESAME OIL ON HAIR REVERSES GREY HAIR ???????

21. Anubhav jain says:

in which season we can use it ?

22. can we use it to control premature ejaculation. If yes than please tell how.

There are better herbs and medicines in Ayurveda for premature ejaculation. Please consult an Ayurvedic doctor.

• you are advised me to contact with some other doctor than how we can get help from you. Please kindly you tell us some better medicine for controlling premature ejaculation.

If you want my email consultation, then please note that it is a paid service. Rs 250 or USD 7 for one month. Payment options – http://easyayurveda.com/donate
          Once you make the payment, I will get in touch with you by email.
          However, please note that consulting an Ayurvedic doctor directly is a better option.

23. Archana says:

I have got a lot of mouth ulcers due to eating of raw garlic and dalchini which was advised by a naturopath for total health fitness. Can seasame oil help in reducing the ulcers or please advise any other remedy

24. Varun Kumar says:

Sir is Sesame oil hot…i and many believe it s cold and apply for oil bath so that it cools the body…Can u suggest oils which are very cooling and good for pitta…

25. donroy81 says:

Hello Dr. Hebbar, I have tried sesame oil pulling and can vouch for its effectiveness for post nasal drip and phlegm accumulation. I have observed that on daily practice, there is a nauseating feeling for a while (1-2 weeks). Several people attribute this to “toxin released into the bloodstream”. Does Ayurveda subscribe to this theory? Maybe there are herbs that can help with toxins/ uneasy feeling, Neem? Manjistha?

26. rohit raj says:

Highly valuable suggestions .
    i think my sperm to be thin how can i make thick means to boost spermcell.iam unmarried and age 30

27. Praveen A V says:

Sir, I feel that there is some contradiction. Please correct me and help me understand.

In your Ashtanga Hriday Sutrasthan 5th Chapter, it is said that Sesame Oil balances Kapha.

In the current article, it is said that, Sesame calms Vata and increases Kapha and Pitta.

28. dr jayashree k s says:

sir, in kaiyyadeva nigantu, its given that krishna tila is best because of its shukrala property.. but not getting any information to prove this…. and also many experiments have undergone which proved that shweta tila is best… so please help me in this… thanking u

29. Hello Doctor, for external applications, could you comment on olive oil vs sesame oil. Which one is more warming?

There is no much difference between the two, when it comes to ‘hotness’. They are quite similar in hotness.

30. Hello Doctor, wanted to know which oil to use to stop continuous ringing sound in the ears, (tinnitus problem), all tests are normal in my case, many thanks, Harish

Usually Ksheerabala taila 101 is used to treat such condition, in combination with other medicines. Please consult your Ayurvedic doctor.

Write your opinion about this article