Day sleep is one of the debated topics. There are many opinions about sleeping in the day. One of the basic treatises of Ayurveda, Charaka Samhita written about 2500 years before, has complete details about sleeping during day, who can sleep during the day, who should not have day sleep, how it affects life and health etc. Let us find out the full Ayurvedic explanation.
Who can do day sleeping? sleep during day time?
- Singers – Singing involves a lot of Vata activity and causes overall vata increase, which may lead to hoarseness of voice and leaves you tired. To balance Vata, day sleeping is advised for singers.
- Students – who continuously read – Sleep is related with memory. A proper sleep is very essential to have a good memory power. To digest all the read things, it is better to give brain rest so as to give time to assimilate. Students may not sleep for hours during day, but a little afternoon nap works wonders for them.
- After having alcohol – It is better for alcoholics to sleep during daytime rather than drive a car and bang it to something.
- Heavy work – Those who work heavily will have temporary increase of Vata and suffer tiredness. To compensate, they should have day sleep.
- People having indigestion – This refers to indigestion arising due to Vata imbalance.
- People having injuries –To balance Vata.
- People having underweight problem and undernourished body – Our daily calorie intake through food should balance the calorie needs of the body for the normal daily activities. So, if people seeking weight gain sleep during daytime, it helps to save that much amount of calorie spending, which helps to weight gain.
- Elders and children – They obviously need rest to keep up their energy levels.
- Patients – Especially with less strength, suffering from excessive thirst, diarrhea, abdominal pain, respiratory diseases, hiccups and who are excessively tired.
- who have traveled long distances – Travelling causes Vata imbalance and tiredness, hence sleep is advised.
- People with excessive anger – Sleep helps rest the brain and cool the temper. So, after the sleep, it helps to person to take another look about the issue at hand with improved patience.
- People with grief – For them, sleeping during daytime helps to forget the pain and decreases depression.
- People who have undergone Panchakarma therapy – During Panchakarma treatment, patients are not supposed to day-sleep. But once after it is over, usually body strength will be very less. Hence, they can have day sleep.
- Patients suffering from indigestion, injuries, muscle wasting, thirst, diarrhea, colic pain, dysponea (as in Asthma), hiccup, leanness, insanity, can have afternoon nap.
All these people above are advised to sleep during day time in all seasons. In these people, sleep helps to restore all the healthy tissues, energy, and Kapha will be balanced and body gains strength.
When everyone can have day sleep?
- For all healthy people, day sleep is advised during summer, due to less night-time and due to lack of energy during summer.
- Except during summer, it is not advised for other people to have day sleep, as it may cause kapha and Pitta imbalance.
Who should never have day sleep?
- Those who are suffering from obesity
- Who are taking ghee or oil daily
- Those suffering from Kapha diseases, who have Kapha body type,
- who are suffering from toxicity should never sleep during day.
During spring, day sleep is especially contra indicated. This is because, during spring, naturally, there is Kapha increase. Day sleeping will further increase Kapha, leading to indigestion and related stomach complaints.
Kapha diseases refers to diabetes, obesity etc. In these people, the calorie burnt with daily activity should exceed the calorie of food taken, that way, it helps to reduce weight or maintain blood glucose levels.
If a wrong person sleeps during daytime, what happens?
Swelling / edema, tastelessness, vomiting sensation, aggravation of cold, migraines, skin diseases, itching, lassitude, cough, throat diseases, lack of good memory and intelligence, fever, weakness in sense organs, throat congestion, increase in toxicity, occurs. If a person has these conditions, then it would worsen, if he / she indulges in sleeping during daytime.
The person would have impaired memory and intelligence, obstruction to body channels, weak sense organs,
Hence, based on suitability and timing, one should have day sleep.