Babies do not need anything but mother’s breast milk for initial six months. But in the initial few months, baby care is very important as a growing baby faces a few health worries such as baby reflux, baby cold etc. For this, in South Indian customs, a traditional method of home remedy is adopted. This is practiced not only during the health problems of the baby, but as a daily routine starting from 15th day to up to 4 - 5 months.
How to prepare home remedy for baby?
A sandalwood flat piece is taken. If that is not available, any clean, sterile flat surface is sufficient.
1 – 2 spoons of mother’s breast milk is put over it.
The following herb pieces are taken – as much as available – Licorice, Ashwagandha, Turmeric, Dry Ginger, Betel nut, Clove, Pepper, Nutmeg, Long pepper, Dry Amla, Dry Brahmi root, False black pepper (Vidanga, Vayuvilanga), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula).
These clean medicinal herbs pieces are taken and with each herb, a circle is drawn, with mild force, so that a very minute particle of the herb gets into the milk.
One circle of each herb is drawn. and finally a thin semisolid stuff will be produced, containing very small amounts of these medicinal herbs in the milk media. The baby is made to lick this semisolid stuff.
- It is a very good baby cough home remedy & baby cold home remedy
- It is a very good home remedy for baby reflux and infant reflux.
- It takes care of the digestive problems and the respiratory problems of the baby.
- Helps build a strong immune system.
- Good for overall baby health maintenance.
- All the herbs and materials should be very neat and clean.
- Look for abnormal spots, bad smell of the herbs. If present, do not use it.
- One herb piece can be used for 4 – 5 days, IF preserved in very clean condition.
- There is no chronology of herbs for drawing circles.
- No side effects, but usually babies will not like it, as overall taste will be slightly bitter.
- Usually given in the morning, after breakfast (=breast milk feeding)