7 reasons why you should wake up early in the morning

Getting up early is what everyone’s granny would recommend. For some it is quite difficult to practice, but if it is incorporated, it will have huge health benefits. Here are the seven good reasons why every health seeker should wake up early in the morning.

1. Active Vata Advantage: According to Ayurveda, if we divide night into three parts, the last part of the night is dominated by Vata Dosha. So, if you wake up early in the morning, you will have the active Vata advantage.
What active Vata advantage means

Vata Dosha is responsible for body movement, flexibility, functioning of sense organs, enthusiasm, mental activities such as understanding, recalling, etc, proper secretion and release of hormones, enzymes etc. A well-balanced Vata keeps the body and mind in optimal condition. Hence getting up early injects enthusiasm into the mind and stimulates all the body organs.

2. Best time for gym: According to Ayurveda, the morning is best time for gym and exercise . Hence the enthusiasm derived out of getting up early can be well-directed and utilized through gym, exercise, Pranayama and Prayer.

3. Brahmi Muhurta :Ayurveda explains “Brahmi Muhoorta” as the time to wake up. This is the early morning period (last 48 minutes of the night).  This time is very auspicious and Satwik in nature. Hence, if one wakes up early in the morning, the mind will be filled up with all the positivity and energy during this period.

4. Body clock: The natural body mechanism has a virtual clock inside. This is known as biological clock. All the activities of the body such as secretion of hormones and enzymes are pre-scheduled. The body naturally is accustomed for sleep during night and active stage during day time. Hence maintaining a fixed time schedule for sleep and getting up early in the morning is very essential for healthy maintenance of organs and systems of the body.

5. Cortisol hormone: Early morning is the time when cortisol hormone secretion is maximum. Hence waking up early in the morning helps proper stimulation of all body organs.

6. Plan the day: Getting up early in the morning gives you time to arrange your daily activities more elegantly. Lessening the stress.

6. For students, Brahmi Muhurtha is the best time to start study enabling maximum concentration.

7. For Prayer, Yoga and Pranayama there is no other time as good as early morning.

Hence waking up early in the morning  not only has health benefits, but also social benefits. So let’s wake up early, kick-start every day with huge energy & enthusiasm and  make everyday successful, healthy and happy. 🙂

Write your opinion/ doubts about the article in the comment section below. Do not post your personal health complaints here. To seek advice from or experts, click here

Comments

1. What a nice incentive to wake up early in the morning. I always hated waking up early, since i was a baby, I believe my biological clock is more nocturnal, it’s my nature. Now that I have a vegetable garden I try to wake up early to water the plants, I have a hard time standing up, but then I like the quietness of the morning, all little animals are working with energy, it’s really nice. i practice Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga 6x a week in the evening, I will try to shift if to the morning and see what happens.

2. What is the ideal time to wake up everyday? and how many hours should one sleep?

Ideal time to wake up, on a general note is 5 – 6 am. But it depends on your nature, your comfort, eating habits etc.
      One should sleep for 6 – 8 hours, based on his body needs. elderly and children, normal people during summer, should sleep more.
      Young people who do less physical activity, should sleep less.

3. @jv hebbar
    sir i heared and being a fan of ar rahaman i am sure in saying this that ar rahaman works in night and sleeps during day. yet he is very successful in life. how ?

Dear Mahar Vaali,
      Like you, I too am a fan of AR Rahman. See, general rules of health etc does not apply to creative people. They like silence, they like serenity. They let their minds open into the emptiness of the surroundings. It is like meditation, wherein you need no noise, no people around you. All you want is, you and your object of meditation. In Rahman’s case, the object of meditation is music.

4. thank u sir i m very much impressed , i wish i follow this tomorrow onwards .

5. T G narayan says:

One of the best and very good message 7 reasons since I am getting up at brahmi muhurtha since for the last 17 years and doing yoga pranayama and finally cold water bath which keeps me active through out the day
    Let the younger generation follow the same.

6. thanks for your great articles! but I have some doubts : in your other article http://easyayurveda.com/2013/10/09/effective-medicine-obesity-allergy-rheumatoid-arthritis-etc-wake-6/, you say that 6 to 11 is Kapha period. I live in swizertland. that means that in summer, the sun rises around 5:15 AM, while in winter at some times it rises up at 8:15!! so should we consider the time of the clock, or the time of the sun to determinate the tridosha dominance?? 🙂

Hi, the Dosha dominant time in a day, differs from country to country.
      In Switzerland, as per the information given,
      During summer, the morning Kapha time around 5:00 – 5:30 am and lasts till 9 am.
      During winter, it starts around 8:00 – 8:30 am and lasts till 12 noon.
      Hope you get the idea.

7. I have been going through your site and find a lot of the articles useful.
    I am forever sleepy…during times that I have anxiety attacks, I feel more sleepy than usual. I want to wake up before 6 every morning, but am unable to. If I force myself to, I feel sick for the rest of the day -nauseated, migraine etc. I cannot go to sleep before 10.30 pm at night (domestic duties etc.). I take manasamitra vatakam at night, which probably makes me unable to wake up early.

I have a pitta predominant body.

I really want to wake up by 5.30. Thanks for the article. It gives me an added incentive to try harder.

8. Yashwant Kumar says:

Dear sir!!!!!

I want to ask you that I’ve heared lot of about Yoga Nidra and the people who complete their sleep within 45 min-1 hour. Sir is it true? Don’t they need 6-7 hours of sleep. Then sir what about ayurveda and others that says we should sleep at leat for 6-7 hours ?

People who are totally Satvik, can overcome Tamas in entirety and can sleep for just a few hours and be energetic throughout the day.
      These great people can control their brain and all internal organs effectively.
      They give rest to each organ while they are awake. So that, they remain fresh throughout the day with very little sleep.

It is similar to alcohol effect. Alcohol has all mental ill effects but those mental effects of alcohol cannot bother or trouble a Satvik person.