Hot water honey benefits – How Far It Really Helps?

There are many Ayurvedic home remedies for weight loss. Hot water honey is one of the most hailed weight loss drinks. Though it is quite simple to make, there are some reservations to consider.

The Ayurvedic reference:
प्रातर्मधुयुतं वारि सेवितं स्थौल्यनाशनं । – भैषज्य रत्नावलि – 39/ 3
praatarmadhuyutam vaari sevitam sthoulyanaashanam | Bhaishajya ratnavali 39/3

Meaning: Daily taking honey along with water is a remedy for obesity.

Method:

Take half a spoon of honey.  Mix it with half a glass of water. Drink it.

Time:
Early morning. empty stomach. Do not eat or drink for at least 15 minutes.

How long to take water – honey –
As long as you are not diabetic, this weight loss drink can be taken for 3 – 6 months.

Can diabetic people take this?
It is better not to follow this method if you are diabetic.

Can this be followed by obese kids?
It can be followed by anyone who is obese and wants to decrease weight.

Any precautions?
There are some advice of taking hot water with honey. But according to Ayurveda, hot water and honey are not compatible with each other. Hence, at the best, the water can be lukewarm or boiled and cooled water.
Because, heat processing of honey or using it with too hot substances is contra-indicated as per Ayurveda. (Reference: Ashtanga Hridayam Sutrasthana 5/ 53 and Charaka Samhita Sutrasthana 26/84)

Click to read about honey qualities of honey, according to Ayurveda and why you should have honey at home.
Click to know how hot water can be the best of the remedies for many of the ailments – Is hot water good?
Click to know how cinnamon and honey combination is good for you – Cinnamon and honey benefits

Dr JV Hebbar is an Ayurveda Doctor, Assistant Professor, From Mangalore, India. Click here to consult Dr Hebbar

Comments

1. sir namasthe. i have gone through this article.its very good.i hope this will help more people who are obese

2. vaidya paul says:

hello ,

I was told that honey should not be consumed with hot water?
    Can you comment please

• As per Ayurveda, heat treatment of honey is not encouraged.
      the warm water / hot water that I am referring to in this article is just about 40 – 50 degree celcius. So it is fine to have this drink.

• Jasmine says:

Yes, it will destroyed all the good vitamins and minerals. Should be taken with luke warm or room temperature water. Otherwise it doesn’t serve the purpose of taking it.Got it?
      Jasmine
      Singapore

3. It is really a nice and helpful piece of information. I am glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

4. Anu sharma says:

Sir
    I have heard to add 1 lemon’s juice also in honey and warm water.
    Is it right…if yes then is it more benificial than only honey and water.
    thanks
    Anu

• Yes, one table spoon of lemon juice with one cup of warm water and one table spoon of honey in the morning is also used as a weight loss remedy. Yes, it is more effective than the one which is explained above.

• anu sharma says:

Sir, Thanks a lot for your reply. You give response to all members from your busy sechdule, which is quite appreciable. I again thanks you for your reply.

5. SIr, can you please tell me for the diabetic people how they can make this drink and loose weight i am diabetic and over weight and desprately wants to loose wight thanks sir.

• Honey is richer source of glucose than sugar. Hence, this drink is ideal for diabetes.
      There are other natural methods to lose weight such as –
      1.adopting fiber rich diet.
      2. Replacing at least one regular meal in the day with oats.
      3. Having only fruits and vegetables, in one day of week.
      4. Regular exercise / yoga / gym / outdoor games.
      5. There are also a few Ayurvedic supplements. Consult your doctor for the same.

• Sir……
        Hello sir….by how much weight can we reduce by this method…and how many days it will help to reduce weight…

This method as a stand alone technique to lose weight may help in losing a couple of kilograms by 2 – 3 months.
          But diet control and exercise will further increase the results.

6. sir i am drinking hotwater one glass with 2 teaspoon of honey and lemon juice,along with this after 10 min i drink amla juice(goosberry) juice 1 glass, along with this i drink 3 glass hot water,i want to know is this harmfull to my body as i want to reduce body weight and fats ,and reduce my stomach belly [hip waist ].kindly reply asap

I do not see any wrong thing with what you are doing. Please go ahead.
      I presume that lemon juice and amla juice are sugarles.
      Good luck with abdominal crunches :)

7. sanaa maki says:

sir i need to know the effects of drinking hot water bcoz i have developed an habit of taking hot water every nigt before retiring to bed. does it add any value to my health?
    thanks

Yes it is really helpful to drink hot water at night. It cleanses the large intestine and eases the motion next morning.
      it helps to keep away respiratory allergies, cold and cough.
      It helps to keep body warm during winter.

8. salman.. says:

sir,
    i used ths therapy before ,6months ,and i wl reduce my weight 7kg ….sir bcz of my examination i wl drop ths therapy..sir i want to start it again …plz raply how i rrealize tht its effect started………and how long i wl take ths….(1 teaspoon full honey ,lemon and aglass of hotwater……
    ….salman..

Start now and consider exercise and diet restrictions. You should be successful in losing weight.

9. Lakshmi says:

Sir,
    I am recently married (before 4 months) I am 30 years old and trying to conceive and also want to loss weight (tummy fat). Shall I drink honey+lemon+warm water, does it affect my pregnancy.
    Kindly reply.

10. Sir,
    Am drinking green tea for tummy fat reduction.
    Also, am working out for an hour daily in gym.
    Please advise if i can take Green Tea in hot water mixed with honey and lemon or only with honey.
    I am at correct weight and only my tummy needs to be reduced. Please advice

You can surely add lemon to the tea. No issues.
      If you are adding honey, better to drink tea at luke warm temperature only. Heating honey is not advisable according to Ayurveda.

11. Valentine says:

Sir,
    I really appreciate your responses to all the question and inquiries, drinking hot water with honey help to reduce fat in the tummy, my belly is getting fatty and I want to burn the flat.

It is one of the methods to burn fat. But nothing is as effective as diet control and abdominal workout.

• Valentine says:

what are the effective diets that will enhance flat tummy?

Abdominal crunch exercise, jogging, walking, taking water with honey, limited oily foods, non veg, sweet, relying on low carb, more fibrous diet are the best way for a flat tummy. There is no specific diet for flat tummy.

12. Dear Sir,

I have PCOS and I am advised to reduce weight. I had been drinking honey with lemon early morning in empty stomach and before i retire bed. But there is no difference in my weight and I do walking for 1 hour per day. Please help and give me a solution

If the honey is not of good quality, then this may not help.
      Stop taking honey with water at night. You can only take it in the morning, on empty stomach.
      Do regular exercise – walking / jogging / yoga / outdoor games / dance – for at least 15 minutes a day.
      Restrict coffee or tea intake to only two small cups a day.
      Restrict the amount of sugar intake and oily food intake.
      If you consult an Ayurvedic doctor, he would prescribe you with some simple medicines which would help you to fight cysts and to reduce weight.

13. Sir, Instead of lemon juice, can i drink amla juice+warm water+honey in the morning(empty stomach).

You can surely drink it generally for good health.
      But for the purpose of losing weight the honey and warm water is the said formula.

14. Hi, I have been drinking honey with luke warm water every morning in empty stomach, but i have stopped having my morning meal since i don’t any hunger till 12 noon is it good for my health. I am trying to reduce my weight and also my belly fat. I am also doing abdomen workout. please guide me in this.

If you are not suffering from lack of energy, by skipping breakfast, then it is good for you. But if your stomach is feeling sick, you feel tired very easily and feel dizzy, vomiting sensation etc, then better to stop this practice.

15. Anvit Shankar says:

Hello Doctor Hebbar,
    At the time of my general health check-up the Doctor advised me to lose some kilos after calculating my Body Mass Index. Since I have a little tummy which is visible prominently, I am desperate to get rid off this asap. My weight is 82 KGs and height is 5’11. Thereafter, I started drinking a table spoon of honey with warm water every morning immediately after getting up. I have been following this method over a month now and currently I can feel a difference of 10% reduction. There are two questions I would like to ask. Firstly, by when I will be able to lose reasonable amount of weight and flatten the tummy? ;) Secondly, I am unable to remove time for any workouts and outdoor games due to my busy office routine, so are there any alternatives to workouts which may further help to reduce my weight? Thank you very much in advance!

Even if you do not time to workout, as soon as you get up, before doing anything, do abdominal crunches lying down – at least 100 per day.
      Drink good quantity of water through out the day.
      Quit smoking / alcohol, if any.
      Avoid snacks and eat fiber rich marie biscuits.
      Replace a meal with oats or corn flakes.
      Completely avoid deep fried and non veg food.
      There are a few suggestions that you can try based on your convenience.

16. devesh goyal says:

Sir, can honey + hot water can be taken by slim person to detoxified the boby

No. For a lean person, this combination does not suit.

• devesh goyal says:

Sir , can honey + cold water ?

In a lean person, overall body cleansing (as required in obese) is not required.

• It would be helpful to know the reason why overall body cleansing is not required in lean person.

Hi, overall body cleansing, in other words, strong Panchakarma treatment is not advised for lean people, simply because the body may not tolerate the power of the treatment. Hope it is helpful.

17. Sir i am very obese i really want to reduce! i just statrd taking honey with warm water. Hopefully i will reduce
    Everyone please pray for me

18. What if one does exercise after having warm water with honey? Is it okay to do?

Ideally it is better to avoid exercise at least for 20 – 30 minutes after taking warm water with honey.

19. rafiq jiwani says:

Sir., i am 18 years boy ., i have just start lemon+honey+warm water., can it help me to decrease weight

20. Manikandan says:

Hi Dr Hebbar,

I am planning to reduce my tummy fat. Before that I have a question about adding lime to this mixture(hot water+honey). I have read some articles saying that having lime daily is not good for health since it has citric acid in it. Does it creates any harm to body?

Hi, except for the condition, of being advised not to take citric acid, it is not harmful to take this home remedy for 2 – 3 months.

21. I just started taking honey with warm water. Hopefully i reduce……

22. Thanks for sharing very valuable information. Thanks Doctor for giving reply to every post.

23. jeevitha says:

jeevitha
    Sir i am very obese i really want to reduce my weight and my belly. i just start taking honey with warm water. Hopefully i will reduce.
    thankyou so much ……………….

24. Anvit Shankar says:

Dr. Hebbar,
    Thank you for your advice. I certainly am grateful to you for showing me the right direction. I am happy to inform you that I have reduced 90% of my tummy and also lost around 7-8 kilos since January.
    I would now like to seek your advice on further continuing the hot water+honey+lemon drink in the morning. My friends and colleagues are advising me to avoid mixing honey in the drink as I have reached an optimum point.
    Kindly let me know if I should discontinue the entire drink or only remove honey from it. Also please let me know if now I can eat 2 chapatis with a bowl of pulse and curry as dinner instead of oats/cornflakes. Once again I thank you for your guidance.

Anvit

Hi Anvit, because it is summer now, you can stop the remedy for next 3 months and can continue later, if you want to further reduce weight.
      The diet described looks good to replace oats.

25. naveen jain says:

every day morning i mix two spoon full of honey and lemon water with two glass full of luke warm water, so please advice me the weather this is good to reduse excess weight or not

you can mix 2 spoon of honey to just a glass of water and have it. It is good for weight loss.

26. lakshmi says:

Sir
    Greetings ! I normally dont comfortable to drink honey+hot water in morning. When i have my dinner at night i will be tempted have honey+hot water+lime. Is that ok ??
    I am so concerned that my weight should NOT increase. I have heard that honey+milk at night will increase weight. Is the same applicable for honey+hot water at night
    Is it ok to drink honey+hot water at night ? or will that also put on weight.

27. sk sharma says:

i am diabtic and take insulin for treatment. i have started taking honey+hot water+lime. is it good for a person to take honey with diabtic. Also advice any ayuric medicine for weight loss.

Dear Mr Sharma,
      Please note that it is not good for a diabetic person to take honey. It also contains sugar.
      For medicine for weight loss, I suggest you to consult a doctor directly. This is the first and best choice.
      If you wish to consult me, please note that it is a paid service. Write about your health issues here –

28. Hi Dr,
    How many time we can take green leaf tea per day(ML)
    I have read some articals that green leaf tea is not good for health .is it ture?
    Taking green team causes high urination and it will effect internal organs due to caffeine.
    Will it have any side effects?

Kindly help me with the data.

The amount of caffeine in it is very minimal. Hence it does not cause much of caffeine side effects.
      one cup for day looks good. With this, I do not see any chances for side effects.
      Those who are not accustomed to tea, may not like it.
      Whether green tea causes high urination or not depends on its ingredients.
      Green tea is not recommended in hypothyroidism.

29. Hi Dr,

You havementioned there are some weight supplements to reduce weight,are they ayurdedic?are there any side effects?
    please revert

Yes, they are Ayurvedic.
      They are directed towards cholesterol management, easy bowel evacuation (detoxification), liver stimulation for quick fat metabolism, hunger suppression etc.
      Often, a Panchakarma therapy along with Ayurveda medicine helps.
      But you will need to consult an Ayurveda doctor directly for choosing the right medicine and right treatment.

30. Sir,
    I have a question, can females take warm water+honey+lime during the mensturation cycle?

It is best to avoid during menstruation period, because, overall effect of this remedy is hotness, which is undesirable during periods.
      By the by, the warm water should be not be hotter than lukewarm, while taking it at other times.

31. Sir,
    I am differentially abled with polio in left leg and right hand. I cannot exercise, but I want to reduce my tummy which I gained during my two pregnancies. I am 5′ and I am 60 Kgs. I want reduce 15 Kgs so that it will be easier to carry out my daily chores(I am working). Can you please help?

32. Sir, can i teke two teaspoon amala juice ( instead of Lemon ) + Hot water + Honey for weight loss

33. Naina Singhal says:

Hi, I just want to know is there any side effects of taking Honey+lemon juice+lukewarm water in the morning, because I heard it effects on bones.

If the water is just lukewarm and not hot, then there is no problem. Usually Ayurveda recommends to avoid usage of honey with hot substances.

34. I heard by so many people that u can eat any type of food except rice… if i stop eating rice will it help in reducing belly fat???

35. I am having pcod and day by day I am gaining weight too, will this be beneficial to me, I have started it for few days, n I have also heard tat churned mustard seeds +water too is helpful in losing weight, is it true doctor. ..?

Hi, it will be best to consult an Ayurveda doctor for full fledged Ayurvedic treatment for PCOD. As general home remedy, you can take this and churned mustard seed with water.

36. i started this about a week ago but… i get hungry so fast. so is this going in right way or not? please reply me doctor

Write your opinion about this article