72890 - june 2013

Varanadi Kashayam – All you want to know about. Ayurvedic reference, how to make, and health benefits.

Varanadi kashayam is one of the wonder –herbal formulations of Ayurveda explained in Ashtanga Hurdayam.

Varana (Crataeva religiosa), Sairyaka (Strobilanthes ciliatus), Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus), Dahana (Plumbago zeylanica), Morata (Chenomorpha fragrans), Bilwa (Aegle marmelos), Vishanika (Aristolochia bracteolate), Brihati (Solanum melongena), Bhadra (Aerua lanata), Karanja (Pongamia glabra), Pootikaranja (Holoptelia integrifolia), Jaya (Premna corymbosa), Pathya (Terminalia chebula), Bahalapallava (Moringa olifera / drum stick), Darbha (Desmostachya bipinnata) and  Rujakara (Semicarpus anacardium).
Varuna sairyakayugma shataavaree dahana morata bilwa vishaanikaaha |

Dwibruhati dwikarnaja jayaadwayam  bahalapallava darbha rujaakaraaha ||

Varanadi kapham medo mandagnitwam niyacchati |
Ingredients:

Aadhyavatam shirashoolam gulmam chaantaha savidhradim || – Ashtanga Hrudayam sutrasthana – 15/21-22

Preparation method: All the herbal ingredients are kept immersed in water overnight, next day morning, added with 16 times of water and reduced to 1/8th or 1/4th quantity by mild to moderate heat, filtered and it is to be consumed while it is warm.

Varanadi kashayam Health benefits: It is useful in obesity Ayurvedic treatment, cures indigestion, cures headaches, stomach gas bloating, headache,  abscess and wounds.

It is also used as natural herbal diuretic and natural edema cures.

You feel difficult to consume Varanadi kashayam? Switch over to Varanadi kashayam tablet – the dose is two tablets two times a day before a day.

0saves
Dr JV Hebbar is an Ayurveda Doctor, Assistant Professor, From Mangalore, India. Click here to consult Dr Hebbar

Comments

1. Nimi Rajesh says:

Hi Dr.
    Your blog is very interesting and good work.
    I am an ayurveda graduate. this site will be very usefull for me.
    Thank you.
    Nimi.

2. shankar says:

Please let me know if varanadi kashayam is good for liver .

Varanadi Kashayam is good for liver. But there are other better Ayurvedic medicines for liver care.

3. drdeepak says:

Dear Doctor,Please guide that if we have to choose between varadi kashayam and varanadi kashayam to treat obesity what would bethe selection criteria as per ayurveda?. Dr Deepak Bhanot BAMS

4. dr.prashant says:

dear Dr.can ayurvedic treatment cure renal failure.

• Dear Dr Prashanth,
      I personally am treating a couple of cases, who are undergoing dialysis.. the results have been encouraging.. the creatinine levels are gradually falling down and patient’s overall health parameters are on a good course now. So, I can not really assure that Ayurveda can cure renal failure. I suppose, it has to be decided on case to case basis.
      regards

5. is this good for hyperthyroid?

6. Rajesh Lakshmanan says:

Varanadi can be taken for ulcer ??

7. Hello Sir,
    One of the Doc prescribed “Prakruti’s Varunadi Kashaya” for kidney stone. This kashaya is over we got another bottol but not the same make. It’s Nagarjuna’s Varannadi Kashayam” This the same and how does this benifit.

You have bought Varanadi Kashayam from two different companies. The first one was Prakruti remedies, and the second one was from Nagarjuna. This is fine. No problem. The herb – Varuna – crataeva nurvala is a potent diuretic. Means, it helps to flush the kidney and the bladder, by producing more urine. This helps to easy breakdown and expulsion of small stones present in the kidney or bladder. The other ingredient – Aerua lanata is also helpful in breaking down stones into small pieces, so as to assist in easy expulsion through urine.
      The supportive ingredients such as Darbha, Pathya, Bilwa (Bael) – act as anti inflammatory.
      Hence, for all these reasons, Varunadi Kashaya is also used in the treatment of renal stones by some Ayurvedic doctors.

8. ushasuresh says:

This varanadi kashayam has helped me, this is a very very useful for many stomach related problems
    this is really good

9. sir.. can we use dis for obesity? can u pls inform me watz d time duration 4 controlling the obesity n d maximum weight can b reduced… waiting 4 ur reply thank u

This can be used for the treatment of obesity, but for a complete analysis of cause and for a complete consultation, it is better to consult an Ayurvedic doctor directly.

10. I have a box of capsules Varanaadi Kashayam 2006 never opened. There is no expiration date. Have expired?
    Sincerely,
    simona

11. Dear Sir,

Does this medicine has any side effects, if taken in the long term. Typically how long should you take this

12. Hi Dr,
    Is Varandadi Kwatham and Varanadi Kashayam same?
    Varandadi Kwatham is for what treatment ?? Does it have any side effects.

Regards,

13. Can i take varanadi kashyam?Due to obesity i got fatty liver and menorrhagia.Can i take it?My age is 33

14. Akshay K says:

Is this varanadi kashyam for sinusitis(without infection) and cough also?

It is rarely used by some doctors for sinusitis and cough out of experience. But it is not indicated for that purpose.

15. My stomach is blotted after taking the above mentioned tablets.. and i have a burning sensation. Please help. Thanx in advance

Better to consult the doctor who prescribed it. Usually it does not have such side effect.

16. hi doctor, your blog is highly informative. am veena from cochin. am 33 year old. i am under Hormone replacement Therapy for the past 8 years. am married. recently i have noticed that i am gainng weight. for the past 6 months i gained almost 8 kilos. someone told about varanadi kashayam and i bought it yesterday. but when i checked your blog i learnt about varadi kashayam. which should i have. according to the shop owner the dosage was 15ml kashayam in 30 ml boiled cool water with a teaspoon of honey. could you please suggest what to do.

Both Varadi and Varanadi kashayam are used for weight loss.
      You may go with the said dosage in the label. But it is always better to consult a doctor, rather than going for self medication

17. shiva priya says:

Is varnadi kashayam safe during pregnancy? Is it o.k. to consume this if we are trying to conceive?

It is safe to take, while trying to conceive. But once after confirmation of conception, it is best to stop this medicine.

18. I am using Varanadi kashayam from past 3 months and reduce some weight.. After achieving my weight . If i stop using Varandi kashayam will i gain back weight again. Can we use varanadi kashayam life long so that we can maintain our weight.

After using Varanadi for about 3 – 4 months, based on your doctor’s advice, it is better to stop it. I do NOT think it is a good idea to continue it further than that. If you stop Varanadi, you will not regain back the lost weight, provided you stick on to healthy eating habits, exercise and an active lifestyle.

19. Hi, I heard that Varanadi Kashayam helpful in curing moderate hearing loss. Is this true?

It might help to certain extent. But there are better Ayurvedic products for hearing loss.

20. My doctor prescribed varanadi kashayam and ayaskrithi arishtam for high cholesterol.
    But here I found it is for obesity. actually Iam not obese and have no stomach problems,My height is 162cm and my wt is 64kg. Iam 31year old male.
    Why they prescribed this? please help me do I want to consume that kashyam and arishtam.? please reply..

One product may be used for different purposes.
      When two Ayurvedic products are used in combination, the doctor, with his experience will be knowing the cumulative benefits of the coupled products.
      Based on this, I am here, trying to explain the logic of using Ayaskriti with Varanadi,for obeisty.
      Ayaskriti is directly indicated in obesity.
      Varanadi is an excellent diuretic, and hence it will fight against water retention in the body, which again might be the cause for excess weight.
      Varanadi is also very commonly used in the treatment of obesity,because it balances Kapha Dosha.

This does not mean that anyone who is obese can take this combination.
      Both these two medicines should only be taken under strict medical supervision.

Read more about Ayaskriti here – http://ayurmedinfo.com/2011/06/23/ayaskriti-uses-dose-side-effects-and-ingredients/

21. i have purchased this kashayam on October 2006 and have never used it .Can I use it now.

22. sumidearus@gmail.com says:

Hi Doctor, This site is very informative. I am taking this varanadi kashayam for migraine prescribed by a doctor from Coimbatore. Presently I’m in US. I’ve just opened my First bottle. Is there any medication for the migraine attacks like Pain killers?

as per my experience, there are no medicines which would drastically reduce the migraine pain. But Overall, migraine can very well be treated with Ayurvedic medicines. The treatment schedule can be upto 3- 4 months.

23. Hello Doctor, is there a good ayurvedic medicine for anal fistula. Please advice.

There are good Ayurvedic medicines to initiate healing of anal fistula. If oral medicines fail, then there is Ksharasutra procedure, which is highly effective. You really need to go to an Ayurvedic doctor for treatment.

24. Dear Dr, How does intake of varanadi kashayam effect on hypothyroid ? Does this medicine also stimulate thyroid harmone?
    Regards
    Mayi

Pretty difficult question to answer. It helps to reduce the size of the cyst, in case of thyroid cyst. It in some ways, stimulates thyroid gland.

25. Hi Doctor,
    Does Varanadhi Kwatham helps in treating uterine fibroids too? I am taking this along with Sukumaran kashayam. Please help to know

Yes, in Ayurvedic practice, it is used in Uterine fibroid treatment. It helps to reduce the size of fibroids. Follow your doctor’s prescription.

26. sir,
    i got varanadi ghrutham and started having for two is it good for obesity or i need to get kyshyam also for reducing weight plz sugest me……
    regards, priya

27. Hello Dr.

I was suggested by my doctor to take varadi kashayam raw without any dilution. Just want a second option.

Thanks,

Hi, If you are preparing the kashaya at your home, by using raw materials, then it is fine to take it without dilution.
      If you are buying any branded Kashayam from a company (manufacturer), then it needs to be diluted.

28. hello Doctor

I want to know if this kashayam interferes with oral contraceptives in any way.

Hi, as per my knowledge and experience, it does not intefere with oral contraceptives.
      However, it is best to maintain a gap of minimum half an hour between Ayurvedic and allopathic medicine intake.

29. Hi Doctor,
    Your page and details provided here are really very helpful. Can I depend on a 10 kg weight loss just by using Varanadi kashayam ? Or is it to be packaged with some other ayurvedic medicines too? Please guide me.

Thanks. I guess it needs to be packaged with other medicines and also on diet control and exercise.

30. Do you do online consultation ? I am based out of Bangalore ,how can I reach for a consultation ? Would you be able to help me ?

31. hi doc, does it work for ulcerative colitis?

32. You had provided me details of online email consultation. I plan to go ahead with it. I am generally looking for a weight loss guidance through Ayurveda (10-12 kGS) .Before making the payment I wanted to know if you would be able to help me with this regard.

Since weight loss is not merely achieved by medicines, since diet and lifestyle restrictions are also required, I can not promise entirely.
      But I can try my best. There are many who have shed a few kilograms with my treatment.

33. what is the difference between varanadi kwatham and varanadi kashayam..?how long we take varanadi kwatham for weight lose

34. what is the difference between varanadi -kwatham and varanadi kashayam.?my doctor prescribed varanadi kwatham for weigh lose.how long to take varanadi kwatham for weight reduction?

They are both one and the same.
      It can be continued for a few months, based on your doctor’s advice.

35. Rajesh Kumar.V says:

Dosage of varanadi kwatham

Usual dose is 1 tablespoon mixed with 1-2 tablespoon of water, before food, two times a day.
      Please note dose depends on many factors such as age, extent of disease progress etc.

36. divya j says:

sir,
    My ayurvedic doctor has prescribed me kalyana goolam,varanadi kashayam,slimit tablets for obesity.I wanted to know what are the uses of each of these medicines.?How much weight will i lose using this?

37. vishaka says:

My ayurvedic doctor advised me to avoid protien rich food for weight loss.Can you please mention the food i have to avoid?I am a vegetarian.

You should not avoid protein foods altogether. Taking them in moderate quantities is needed for weight loss. In stead, avoid high carbohydrates present in rice and sugar.

38. Dr. my name is Adarsh ! i want to know whether varadi is good for hyperthyroidism .i know its a good medicine for obesity .

39. is there any side effect behind varadi’s usage . i mean gas problem ,constipation …

40. can you please tell me the correct usage of varadi .and diet methods

41. sir my brother has fistula problem and he has been advised to take this varnadi kashayam for its treatment..sir does this work for the same…

42. namaste ji….!!!
    M Aruna from delhi. Having PCOS/PCOD problem & overwieght. M tryin to concieve. My doc has precribed me to take varunadhi kashaya & with that m taking sustean 100mg. how it helps me….?

It helps to reduce weight and to relieve water retention. It also helps in reducing the cyst size to some extent.

43. M handicap not able to do excise,walk n al but wanna reduce my weight plz tl me wt to do ….? is ter any medcn for tis…?

44. sir,is this medicine varanaadi kashyam used to treat pcod??poly cystic ovarian disease??actually iam using kumarayasvam and rajahpravarathanivati for pcod…is it helpful

45. Sir, can Varanadi kashayam tablets cure for Fibroids problem or is there any treatment to be ?

It may not cure fibroids as a standalone medicine. There are many treatment options available, but results vary. Please consult an Ayurveda doctor in person.

46. Sir,

I have tummy and fat in thighs and in back also.. Whether this Varanadi kashayam is helpful to reduce this fat?

Write your opinion about this article