Boost immune system by powerful Ayurvedic Herbal remedies

Boost immunity: Concerns over ever – lowering immune power has been a cause of concern in this modern age.  increasing pollution levels, increasing work and lifestyle related stress, family and relationship tensions, depression,  low quality foods, junk foods, aerated drinks, alcohol, certain allopathic medications, smoking, chronic disorders can be quoted as a few factors, resulting in lowered immunity power.

A brief note on our immune system –
Our immune system protects us against threats from micro organisms.  These micro organisms consist of bacteria, viruses,  and parasites. These micro organisms, if enter establish themselves inside our body, then they cause us infection, resulting in disorders like Malaria, Cholera, typhoid, Influenza, etc.,

infection

Our blood contains white blood cells. These white blood cells are the major tool for our defense mechanism. These are produced from the bone marrows (inner soft tissue, present in mainly long bones like (femur (thigh bone), humerus (arm bone) etc. These white blood cells  are carried in the blood to specialized organs, where they develop and communicate to launch immune responses against infections (similar to military camps against invading foreign militants).Some white blood cells like macrophages kill the micro organisms by eating and damaging them The B type of white cells (called as B lymphocytes) produce antibodies, which can neutralize/ kill viruses, bacteria or toxic proteins in the blood and other body fluids. The T type of white cells (called T lymphocytes) can trace microorganisms that leave the body fluids to invade cells. Each T killer cell carries receptors for one type of foreign substance, “antigen”. T cells can bind to infected cells and kill them. This can prevent spread of the microorganism within the body.

So, this is a brief explanation regarding how our immune system works.

Ayurvedic explanation about immune system –

Ayurveda describes immunity as the power to defend the body against any disease and also the power to fight the progress of the disease.

Blood and its components, Ojus (a special Ayurvedic physiological entity), Kaphadosha, Dhatus are the contributing factors to immunity according to Ayurveda.

Ayurvedic immune boosting herbs – Ashwagandha, Giloya (Indian Tinospora) and Shatavari (asparagus) are pridominantly used as immunity boosting herbs.

Ayurvedic immune boosting Herbs –

Ashwagandha – immune boosting, anti oxidant.

Guduchi – Immunomodulator

Write your opinion/ doubts about the article in the comment section below. Please do not post your personal health complaints here. If you wish to seek advice from or experts, click here

Comments

1. Thanks for your service.

2. nice information

3. Hi Dr. Hebbar, do you have any suggestions for sauce i can have with rice and steamed vegetables since its pretty dry to eat without sauce

Dal that they make in north India,
      Vegetable gravy with pepper, ginger, etc
      Sambhar or Rasam etc are a good choice along with rice.

4. Can shatavari be used in males.

5. i m taking shatavari and ashwagandha daily with milk since 8-10 months. but today doctor todl me that ur immunity system is weak and he prescribed me some medicines. is he right ? how ?

Your doctor might be right. Taking Ashwagandha and Shatavari would of course have improved your immunity. But your doctor might have used other criteria to judge immunity level, such as your general built, eating habits, BMI, frequent illnesses that you might have suffered etc.

6. Is there a difference between “immune boosting” and “immunomodulator”?

Immune boosting usually refers to improving immunity for a person with lowered immunity. Example: Administering Ashwagandha for a person who has undergone long term steroid therapy (which causes depletion in immunity).
      Immuno-modulator generally means that correction of altered immunity. Example: use of Guduchi in Rheumatoid arthritis (auto immune disorder).

7. i am prescribed giloy tablets by an ayurvedic doctor.. but in its composition it is written that it also contains Excepient Q.S .. Does that means it is not pure ??
    And is powdered form of these herbs better than tablets ??

Hi, while making the giloy kashayam extract into tablet, some non harming excipients which help in tablet making such as DCP, Gum acacia are added almost in all Ayurvedic tablets.
      Giloy Satva in powder form, is better than Giloy tablet. Its usual dose is – 500 mg.

8. Dear Sir,

can any one take these medicine on their own, means it is general medicine?

9. Sriharsha Aswathanarayana says:

Dear Dr.Hebbar,

Can you please help me with answers to following questions?…

Is it sufficient to take single herbs like Guduchi or Ashwagandha or should specific Ayurvedic formulations such as Kashayam or Churna be taken?

Will they address different types of infections such as bacterial or fungal or viral?

If an individual has taken antibiotics for an infection, it may result in lowered immunity. In this situation, is it advisable to go for ayurvedic medicine?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Sriharsha Aswathanatrayana

If the purpose is to improve immunity, then taking individual or combination of Guduchi and Ashwagandha is useful.
      They surely address viral infections. But a result for specific bacterial / fungal infection cannot be guaranteed.

If an individual has taken antibiotics for an infection, he can surely take Ayurvedic medicines / herbs such as Ashwagandha / Guduchi / CHyawanprash / Brahma Rasayana etc to improve immunity.

10. sudhakar says:

very informative

11. Wonderwoods says:

Hello doctor, while treating a yeast or bacterial overgrowth is it beneficial to take ashwagandha and Brahmi to build the immune system simultaneously or to take guduchi to alter the faulty immune system ? Also will raw garlic taken three times after meals kill the yeast overgrowth . I see a lot of improvement but don’t know how long will it take to treat the yeast infection which is systemic . Thanks a lot . Regards ,

Hi, systemic yeast infection can take up to 4 – 5 months for curing.
      You can take Ashwagandha Neem and Garlic. Better to consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.

12. Dear Dr.Hebbar
    I have always showed presence of RF in yearly check up without any severe joint pain or symptoms.
    I was diagnosed with postpartum RA with rise in RF and anti ccp (I don’t remember exact numbers- 200/300,I think).I have inflammation and joint pain in my index finger, my toes on both legs- joint inflammation, pain in both heels and and toes.It is difficult to walk.My ring finger joint is slightly inflamed.
    I have started taking Nelavembu kudineer chooranam with 9 ingredients for the last 6 days.My inflammation,pain is greatly reduced in hands .I think my legs are also showing some improvement, but I have pain under my toes and heels.
    My question is I am breast feeding my 6 months old baby. Will taking nelavembu kudineer chooranam harm my baby’s health through breast milk? I wanted to take this nelavembu for total of 2 weeks . Please advice.
    Thanks for your time.

13. will taking of any of the herbs mentioned in this spectacular article help me with an autoimmune disease? I have hypothyroidism and Hashimotos and my antibodies numbers are super high. Therefore, my body is in constant exhaustion, stressed, poor skin, and major hair loss. I am so desperate at this point! Thanks 🙂

Guduchi and Triphala are very useful. Please consult an Ayurveda doctor for right set of medicines.

14. Shailesh Singh Bairaria says:

Hello Doctor,
    Can Guduchi and Ashwgabdha take care of bacterial problems from MRSA as well problems due to autoimmune disorders like ostioarthritis? If not then what? Kindly reply.
    Regards.
    Shailesh

15. Hello Dr Hebbar, Can Musli Pak be given to children aged around 9-10?

16. Hi Dr I have psoriasis for the past 9 years, kindly advise if there is a cure in ayurveda, i came to know that its a auto immune disease.

17. Hello Doctor,
    Great article and good service.
    quick question, my wife is pregnant 5 weeks, she has autoimmune hand TSH 20. Antibody TPO – 250. She is taking eltroxin 100mcg as per dr suggestion.

Is there any herb to suppress Antibody TPO and TG and its safe during the pregnancy

Hi, I would not recommend any Ayurvedic medicine for her during pregnancy.
      After delivery, a treatment can be planned.
      For further advice, please consult an Ayurveda doctor directly.
      For email advice, please write to our health experts here (paid service) – http://easyayurveda.com/consult/